The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 04-18-2016, 02:30 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,705
I've deleted a number of posts. This threads is not about the staff Charles employs. Nor is it about Catherine's clothing choices and whether she needs a stylist. Please keep the thread on topic, which is future duties and roles of William and Catherine.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 04-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,861
Why do people keep going on and on about William and Catherine not being full time because that is the way the Queen and Charles want it.

Time after time William has said it was his decision.

He stated that in 2012 in the Katie Couric interview, he stated it again in ITV interview in 2016 and IIRC he said something along those lines in the Ant and Dec interview.

As far as not enough money, that was a one time event due to the money spent on the wedding and renovating KP.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM
HistoryGirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 163
^I'm no expert on the monarchy's expenses, but logic would tell me tours are specifically planned for at least a year in advance and funds are set aside for that particular reason. In addition, those aren't necessarily to benefit the royals on tour, but about representing Britain and foster better relations between countries. I suppose the British people could be asked to provide more money for engagements from their own pockets if they want to see W&K more. William doesn't pay for those engagements, Charles and the Crown's budget does. One thing's for sure, I don't see Charles taking money from his pocket to promote his son and daughter-in-law instead of using the money to promote him and Camilla as they are the next monarchs. Now one could make the argument that William should use his own money for the extra expenses (which for a fact there would be), but that's a separate conversation altogether.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 04-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Why do people keep going on and on about William and Catherine not being full time because that is the way the Queen and Charles want it.

Time after time William has said it was his decision.

He stated that in 2012 in the Katie Couric interview, he stated it again in ITV interview in 2016 and IIRC he said something along those lines in the Ant and Dec interview.

As far as not enough money, that was a one time event due to the money spent on the wedding and renovating KP.
I've always said, it's all down to a personal decision that's respected and supported by The Queen and Charles. William and Catherime don't have to wait for anyone tell them to become full time royals. They can make this move and it will be supported by The Queen and Charles as well. I think they know the reality is now right around the corner, and I think they're okay with it. They will balance family and duties well.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 04-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
^I'm no expert on the monarchy's expenses, but logic would tell me tours are specifically planned for at least a year in advance and funds are set aside for that particular reason. In addition, those aren't necessarily to benefit the royals on tour, but about representing Britain and foster better relations between countries. I suppose the British people could be asked to provide more money for engagements from their own pockets if they want to see W&K more. William doesn't pay for those engagements, Charles and the Crown's budget does. One thing's for sure, I don't see Charles taking money from his pocket to promote his son and daughter-in-law instead of using the money to promote him and Camilla as they are the next monarchs. Now one could make the argument that William should use his own money for the extra expenses (which for a fact there would be), but that's a separate conversation altogether.
When the tour is to another Commonwealth realm like Australia or Canada, my understanding is that the visited realm pays for it, doesn't it ?
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 04-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,022
Yes, when they go realms like Canada, NZ and Australia it's on those countries dime. The California section of Canada tour was on behalf of UK government so they pay for that portion. Don't know about super small realms like when they went to the Solomons Islands and Tuvalu? However going there isn't very common.




Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 04-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,925
I am not sure about others, but when the Queen visits Canada, yes we pick up the bill for her visit
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 04-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,690
Monarchy is a top down organisation. Both William and Harry in the last couple of weeks have reiterated the Queen is the 'Boss'

Monarchy and especially the British monarchy would never have survived all these years without discipline, and the notion the Queen allows everyone to just pick and choose what they want to do doesn't square with what we know about the Firm.

Of course individuals have to find their own way but at the end of the day everyone answers to the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Why do people keep going on and on about William and Catherine not being full time because that is the way the Queen and Charles want it.

Time after time William has said it was his decision.

He stated that in 2012 in the Katie Couric interview, he stated it again in ITV interview in 2016 and IIRC he said something along those lines in the Ant and Dec interview.

As far as not enough money, that was a one time event due to the money spent on the wedding and renovating KP.
What William says in those interviews is that HM has so far let him choose his own path i.e. that she could have gone the other way and he wouldn't have had much choice.

What I don't understand is why you think that HM and Charles are such weak individuals as to let their son and grandson dictate to them? Do you seriously think that anyone in that family tells the Queen what to do when it comes to the direction of the Firm? The person whom Harry only last week said he sees first and foremost as his 'boss' as opposed to his grandmother? Are we thinking of the same person?

The Queen is no dictator, but she's clearly still in charge. It doesn't take the IQ of Stephen Hawking to figure that, having had her semi-private family life derailed, first with her parents unexpectedly ascending the throne and then with her husband and young children upon her own accession, she wants to give her grandchildren and great-grandchildren what she was prematurely denied. This, to me, is the bottom line and is symptomatic of the Queen's generosity towards her family. I admire her very much for that.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 04-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,925
In fairness Harry was talking about the military, not his role as a prince. The queen is commander in chief of the armed forces. So anyone from the newest recruit to the highest general would consider her their boss. This was not meant to be a comment on her role in his private life or royal life.
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 04-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,690
In India Prince William described himself as the "Queen's representative" and said his grandmother was "still very much the boss", as he read out a message from her and Prince Philip.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,074
Yes, The Queen is their "Boss", but not a dictator though. She allows her family to make their own choices.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
In fairness Harry was talking about the military, not his role as a prince. The queen is commander in chief of the armed forces. So anyone from the newest recruit to the highest general would consider her their boss. This was not meant to be a comment on her role in his private life or royal life.

Really? Because the quote given to the media was: "I still view her more as the Queen than my grandmother. You have this huge amount of respect for your boss and I always view her as my boss, but occasionally as a grandmother.”

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...mother-second/

All of this to say, there is also an argument to be made that the Queen is indeed the boss, and she has a big day on what William, Catherine, and Harry's roles currently are.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 04-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,925
I was watching the video. And he was talking about having just left the military. That for the past 10 years he was reminded the queen want simply his grandmother, she was his boss. That he and all of his military comrades shared the same boss. The difference?? (which he pointed out) when they go home for Christmas with their families, he sits down for dinner with the boss. At least in that interview, he was referring to her as the commander and chief of the army, making her his boss in his military role. Not his role as prince.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 04-18-2016, 09:44 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Really? Because the quote given to the media was: "I still view her more as the Queen than my grandmother. You have this huge amount of respect for your boss and I always view her as my boss, but occasionally as a grandmother.”

Source: Prince Harry: Queen is boss first, grandmother second

All of this to say, there is also an argument to be made that the Queen is indeed the boss, and she has a big day on what William, Catherine, and Harry's roles currently are.
It is correct that Queen Elizabeth II is the boss. However she is also the grandmother to Princes William and Henry and the other grandchildren. Yes, it may be difficult to understand: Which occupation do put first Boss (employer) or Grandmother (relative)?
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Really? Because the quote given to the media was: "I still view her more as the Queen than my grandmother. You have this huge amount of respect for your boss and I always view her as my boss, but occasionally as a grandmother.”

Source: Prince Harry: Queen is boss first, grandmother second

All of this to say, there is also an argument to be made that the Queen is indeed the boss, and she has a big day on what William, Catherine, and Harry's roles currently are.
Thank you for posting his quote in full. I have to agree with your argument that QEII is the boss and will have the final say on the roles played by the various members of the BRF.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I was watching the video. And he was talking about having just left the military. That for the past 10 years he was reminded the queen want simply his grandmother, she was his boss. That he and all of his military comrades shared the same boss. The difference?? (which he pointed out) when they go home for Christmas with their families, he sits down for dinner with the boss. At least in that interview, he was referring to her as the commander and chief of the army, making her his boss in his military role. Not his role as prince.
I think you might be mixing it up. The story you are talking about is from the documentary that has already been aired (the one with Kate in it), while the quote people are talking about is from the documentary that has not yet been aired. Or at least that is how I've understood it.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 AM
DukeofMontpelier's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Putney, United States
Posts: 104
That makes no sense to me at all. She is indeed the boss to the military and the boss to the royal family. The way the first video put it his comrades get to go home and be away from the boss but he has to go home and sit with the boss. I do not think he says that in a bad way just a matter of fact way. I believe no quote until I see it in it's entirety.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 AM
HistoryGirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Monarchy is a top down organisation. Both William and Harry in the last couple of weeks have reiterated the Queen is the 'Boss'

Monarchy and especially the British monarchy would never have survived all these years without discipline, and the notion the Queen allows everyone to just pick and choose what they want to do doesn't square with what we know about the Firm.

Of course individuals have to find their own way but at the end of the day everyone answers to the Queen.
That's the point that really sticks out for me. I just can't believe that everyone in the RF goes about their own business and decides how they will be used in terms of royal engagements and how they will be viewed by the public. I think if that were true Andrew would have had his way and his daughters would be full time royals.

The way I look at it is that William, Kate, and Harry (and indeed every other member of the family) are not out there representing themselves, but the BRF. When it comes to their personal life, I do believe the Queen has allowed them to find their own way because she has learned from past experiences that it is best to do so. However, if that leeway extends to the direction of the firm and the Queen really does allow William and Kate to just decide how the monarchy will be represented then the BRF have a lot more to worry about than just a few royals being termed 'work-shy'.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 04-19-2016, 08:20 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,948
We are a bit off topic. But what a number of you have said/quoted/referenced made me realize, more than ever that this family is at work when they are together. That there is not much relaxing during big family moments, even when were are not seeing them. Instead, there seems to be an undercurrent of always being measured and assessed by one another. It's a harsh dynamic without offsetting affection.
It makes William's obvious affection for his wife's family more understandable.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
albania best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria current events denmark fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe letizia monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince charles prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess eleonore princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats victoria


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises