The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2016, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

"As I learned growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother" is the actual full quote. That can mean lot of things. The Queen isn't being kept locked in her room at BP, while her evil grandson William steals her pension checks to bet on football matches.

The air ambulance job, Norfolk, work load etc would have been discussed with his father and grandmother who supported his decision. Granny has stopped William in the past. In interviews he admitted that he wanted to wear a different uniform to his wedding and the Queen told him no -your wearing the red Irish Guards uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 03-20-2016, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts regarding Catherine and the St. Patrick's Day parade have been moved to the General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge thread.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
"As I learned growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother" is the actual full quote. That can mean lot of things. The Queen isn't being kept locked in her room at BP, while her evil grandson William steals her pension checks to bet on football matches.

The air ambulance job, Norfolk, work load etc would have been discussed with his father and grandmother who supported his decision. Granny has stopped William in the past. In interviews he admitted that he wanted to wear a different uniform to his wedding and the Queen told him no -your wearing the red Irish Guards uniform.
This made it quite clear to me that it's all done with the Queens approval. Later he is also quoted: "The Duke of Cambridge certainly remains eternally grateful for the way his grandmother has given him time and space to prepare for the future. ‘Growing up, having this figurehead, having this stability above me, has been incredible,’ he says. ‘I’ve been able to explore, understand, carve my own path. I greatly appreciate and value that protection.’"
Old 03-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
This made it quite clear to me that it's all done with the Queens approval. Later he is also quoted: "The Duke of Cambridge certainly remains eternally grateful for the way his grandmother has given him time and space to prepare for the future. ‘Growing up, having this figurehead, having this stability above me, has been incredible,’ he says. ‘I’ve been able to explore, understand, carve my own path. I greatly appreciate and value that protection.’"
Lovely words.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

How do we know that the Queen is AOK with the Cambridges doing relatively few engagements? She hasn't spoken publicly about it. We know she doesn't like people being idle even if she does hope the couple do have lots of time with their children. It was said that she asked "What does Kate DO?" when William and Kate were dating, as she obviously hadn't heard she had a full time job.

It's taken for granted here that the Queen is fine with the Cambridge work rate. However, just suppose she is mildly perturbed but has spoken to Charles about it and he has told her that he is unable to underwrite their public engagements to any greater extent than he is doing. I am sure the Queen would accept that but that doesn't mean that she would be necessarily happy and fine with the situation.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Lets be honest - no one on this forum has the least idea of what HMQ, PoW or anyone else in the royal family and household think of anything. Its just what someone on here "thinks" they "think".

So don't try and bring reality into it, because we haven't got a clue.

But we can still have opinions, and we can air them.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
How do we know that the Queen is AOK with the Cambridges doing relatively few engagements?
I was referring to what William says in the ITV Birthday tribute - that she has allowed them space.
Either he is speaking the truth, or he is lying to the country (and in front of his Queen) in a very public way. If he is lying, then the country is in for a very bumpy ride.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

We get the same thing from Harry supporters on TRF. 'The Queen is so proud of Harry'

'The Queen supports Harry leaving the army and not becoming a full-time royal'

If that's the case, The Queen is proud of the Cambridges and fully supports what they're doing as well
Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I've no doubt the Queen is a very tolerant woman, who wants the Cambridges to have some time with their young family. However, there is such a thing as, in the words of the old saw, 'being given an inch and taking a yard'. When do the Cambridges begin to play their part as full time royals, when they're both forty, fifty, sometime, never?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

There is no need for them to be full time yet or they would be. There is a reason (mostly financial I'm thinking) they are not. For years we've heard about the royal family trimming the working royals down to smaller numbers. It seems to be that is exactly what they have done.

Charles will likely be King in the next 5 to 10 years at most. When William is the heir he will certainly be full time.

For now the Queen (and probably Charles) determine who's doing what when.

LaRae
Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
There is no need for them to be full time yet or they would be. There is a reason (mostly financial I'm thinking) they are not. For years we've heard about the royal family trimming the working royals down to smaller numbers. It seems to be that is exactly what they have done.

Charles will likely be King in the next 5 to 10 years at most. When William is the heir he will certainly be full time.

For now the Queen (and probably Charles) determine who's doing what when.

LaRae
Thank you for this reminder Pranter. Just like in any other "Firm" the decisions made come from the top and have to take budgets into account. At this point in time the BRF are the largest group of "working" royals who undertake official engagements on behalf of the monarch. They're also unique in that there are 3 generations of adults in that group. In most constitutional monarchies it is limited to just two generations often times because of their nation's constitution limits the size.

The press chooses to focus the majority of their attention to just a few royals and are not pleased that they're on the part time list. So to sell a few more copies we've seen an increase in articles that are not always based on facts.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Lets be honest - no one on this forum has the least idea of what HMQ, PoW or anyone else in the royal family and household think of anything. Its just what someone on here "thinks" they "think".

So don't try and bring reality into it, because we haven't got a clue.

But we can still have opinions, and we can air them.
Oh, well said!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-16-2016, 08:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

"This was a week in which Prince William was a royal, morning, noon and night.

Not every week is like this and that's what has irked some newspapers that have documented every aspect of his development.

Their argument is that "Work-Shy Wills", as they've called him, needs to focus on what he was born to do.

His argument, were William Wales to write a column in one of their publications, is that he's a senior royal who balances a job as an air ambulance pilot with his desire to be there for his children.

William, who saw what joining the institution did to his mother, has always tiptoed towards his destiny.

As early as next year, when he has to decide whether or not to continue as a pilot, Prince William may discover that the time for tiptoeing is over."

Taj Mahal pictures of duke and duchess create 'new royal narrative'
Taj Mahal pictures of duke and duchess create 'new royal narrative' - BBC News

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Serene Highness

What a stupid article. There is no tiptoeing. The BRF has made an obvious effort to keep the younger royals at second-string, while keeping HM's children and cousins on the 'varsity squad'. If the BBC were capable of looking at the bigger picture, the would realize it's not a coincidence that William/Catherine/Harry are all part-time, and that Beatrice/Eugenie are no-time. They are all currently redundant. Of course why do that when you can blame the five of them for not embracing their birthright.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
What a stupid article. There is no tiptoeing. The BRF has made an obvious effort to keep the younger royals at second-string, while keeping HM's children and cousins on the 'varsity squad'. If the BBC were capable of looking at the bigger picture, the would realize it's not a coincidence that William/Catherine/Harry are all part-time, and that Beatrice/Eugenie are no-time. They are all currently redundant. Of course why do that when you can blame the five of them for not embracing their birthright.
Peter is just stating facts of the reality that's at hand. He's not talking about Bea and her sister, but about the future King and Queen.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Peter is just stating facts of the reality that's at hand. He's not talking about Bea and her sister, but about the future King and Queen.
Really, what facts? When has The Queen issued a statement that she is unsatisfied with the royal workload of any of her grandchildren? If she indeed does want them all to be full-time royals, it seems a mighty coincidence that all her grandchildren have thumbed their noses at her, and decided to stay in the background, while she weeps in misery because she's stuck with her children and cousins.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Majesty

Much as people want to see the younger adult royals it seems HM and POW are in sync with their views as to what they are doing.

I have only ever had one real complaint about William and that is that when he is not on the "royal clock" he invariably snubs the media and acts in a generally graceless manner toward the media.

While he has an expectation of privacy, he is old enough to know and live the reality. This tour has shown how pleasant, polite and even outgoing both William and Catherine can be with the media. The difference between home and abroad is startling.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Much as people want to see the younger adult royals it seems HM and POW are in sync with their views as to what they are doing.

I have only ever had one real complaint about William and that is that when he is not on the "royal clock" he invariably snubs the media and acts in a generally graceless manner toward the media.

While he has an expectation of privacy, he is old enough to know and live the reality. This tour has shown how pleasant, polite and even outgoing both William and Catherine can be with the media. The difference between home and abroad is startling.
Yeah, even Richard Palmer noticed how relaxed and comfortable the royal couple seem to be with the media. I understand what you're saying, but sometimes the royals don't like being bothered when off duty. Sometimes you see this attitude with several of the royals, not just William though. The media have had some interesting run ins with Anne, Edward, Philip, and Andrew. There has been some steely looks from The Queen too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-17-2016, 01:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I suppose they need the press when their on a tour. But I guess they want them to disappear when their off duty back home. Doesn't work like that and that's something Will doesn't understand or want to happen. Anyway just my thoughts

Old 04-17-2016, 01:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Well I suppose they need the press when their on a tour. But I guess they want them to disappear when their off duty back home. Doesn't work like that and that's something Will doesn't understand or want to happen. Anyway just my thoughts

It's always been a sticky sitution though. It's not just unique to William. The royals do give a lot of themselves on a regular bases, but there are moments they must be able to relax on their off days. The royals are nice people and aren't rude on purpose, but if they're being bothered on their days off, sometimes the response can be a tad testy. They may be royal, but they're human beings first. I try not to forget that...

A.W. TOZER