Wedding of William & Catherine: the Official Guest List

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could see Diana, but I'm sure that somewhere will be followed by...
Spencer family, no one in this interesting.

CP Hakoon & CP Mette-Marit and CP Frederik & CP Mary could not see the list. I wondered.

Norway and Denmark are represented by King Harald and Queen Sonja and Queen Margrethe, respectively.

I am sure that Diana will oversee this all, even though she is mortally no longer with us. And I think having the Spencers there will give a feeling that she is at least somehow present. They are, after all, her siblings and in-laws.

Last edited:
Hey,

I am from Oslo in Norway and I am interested in the royal wedding. I find the British monarchy far more interesting than the Norwegian monarchy and I can't wait for the wedding.

I was wondering, my knowledge of the royal family is limited, and I was wondering about something. Given the recent issues emerging in Bahrain and the video evidence of military helicopters gunning down peaceful protestors, why is the Crown Prince of Bahrain attending the wedding?

Doesn't it seem that, by inviting the crown prince of Bahrain, the royal family are seemingly condoning the massacres?

Thanks for your answers in advance, I am confused.
Hi,maybe this article could help
Royal wedding invitation to crown prince of Bahrain draws criticism | UK news | The Observer

Does the royal family choose who will be at the wedding or does the invitation specifically states who exactly is invited?

I just don't understand why Margarethe is invited and not Fred and Mary.

Does the royal family choose who will be at the wedding or does the invitation specifically states who exactly is invited?

Maybe they rejected the invitation being busy with different things,I think they do have their own specific reasons

Was it not so that the invitations were sent to the Heads of State, who could then decide who to send?

I believe I have read something like that on these forums.

Was it not so that the invitations were sent to the Heads of State, who could then decide who to send?

I believe I have read something like that on these forums.

Correct. Invitations were sent to all the crowned heads of state. They got to decide if they attended or not, or if they would be represented by other members of their family or not.

The Lady Saltoun was invited and considered a member of the extended British Royal family. It's an interesting comment since she was married to one of Queen Victoria's great grandson's.

From doing some reading, Queen Elizabeth has always considered them part of the family.

Will Debo(rah), dowager duchess of Devonshire be there? Such a lovely lady! I cant find her on the list.

Last edited:
Its not the complete list. We will either know 1) if BP releases more names this week 2) if he is photographed which is a maybe....I can't say that I have seen a picture of him in years but he has been to several events in the last couple of years. I wouldn't imagine why he isn't invited.

Likely he and the Countess were invited but he is in pretty frail health these days so may not be up to making the journey to London for such a big event.

Likely he and the Countess were invited but he is in pretty frail health these days so may not be up to making the journey to London for such a big event.

Yes, I forgot to give that option. Thank you NGalitizine. I believe he is the oldest of the cousins isn't he? George, Gerald, Elizabeth, Margaret, Edward, Alexandra, William, Richard and Michael are/were the grandchildren of George V and Mary.

The Weston's are close friends of the Prince of Wales. They live at Fort Belvedere (former home of Edward VIII) at Windsor. Galen played polo with Charles for a number of years. Charles and the boys used the Weston lodge during a ski trip toWhistler, BC. Also Hilary Weston is a former Lt Gov of Ontario.

Kind of surprised no one from Jordan is attending and didnt see the Aga Khan on the list either and he is a British HH.

I was sure I saw The Aga Khan's name on some list...

The invitation to what I understand goes to for example King of Bahrain so that mean he is invited but cant go so he is sending his Crown prince to represent him. I think since Queen Margarethe is attending there is no need for Frederik & Mary to attend.

As in Felipe & Letizia's case, it was said that they got a personal invitation from Charles for the wedding. So Queen Sofia & the crown prince couple are attending.

The monarch couples were in invited. Henrik doesnt go but Margrethe does and they dont feel the need to pass the invitation on to the CP couple (eg in Spain JC & Sofia were invited, JC doesnt go and passed on the invitation to his son, the second most important person of the SRF, therefore Sofia, Felipe and Letizia as Felipes wife are going).

Mary probably is still not at her best as life with twins is certainly draining, Margrethe could have taken her son but Frederik doesnt strike me as the person who would be keen to go.

Most royals will attend church and reception afterwards only anyway, going home in the early afternoon with only close circle attending in the evening. Not sure if any non-BRF royals belong to that circle, maybe the Greek but thats about it.

Just a question but since I saw the list, I'm just bedazzled that the not a member of the Princely House of Liechtenstein is in the guest list. As I remember The Prince and Princess of Liechtenstein were invited and graced the wedding of His Royal Highness Prince Charles and Lady Diana and here they are not on the list for the wedding of Charles' heir? Also no German royalty to grace the event? I was hoping they would have invited His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia and the pretender to the Russian Imperial House Her Imperial Highness Grand Duchess Maria of Russia.

I mean the British Royal Family is the most expensive in Europe yet look at Spain and Denmark when the heirs got married they invited both reigning families and heads of the houses of deposed royal families. It was quite thrilling to see the head of the house of Hohenzollern and the head of the Russian Imperial house in those weddings. Its just a shame if we don't see such people in this wedding.

The monarch couples were in invited. Henrik doesnt go but Margrethe does and they dont feel the need to pass the invitation on to the CP couple (eg in Spain JC & Sofia were invited, JC doesnt go and passed on the invitation to his son, the second most important person of the SRF, therefore Sofia, Felipe and Letizia as Felipes wife are going).

Mary probably is still not at her best as life with twins is certainly draining, Margrethe could have taken her son but Frederik doesnt strike me as the person who would be keen to go.

Most royals will attend church and reception afterwards only anyway, going home in the early afternoon with only close circle attending in the evening. Not sure if any non-BRF royals belong to that circle, maybe the Greek but thats about it.

As I wrote a few days ago in a post on another thread, I'm pretty convinced that the reason why Felipe and Letizia are invited as opposed to Frederik and Mary has to do with the fact that Felipe is a more direct cousin of Charles through the Greek line -- Prince Philip with Constantine/Sophia/Irene.

Does anybody know if any French royals(princes) will attend the wedding?

As I wrote a few days ago in a post on another thread, I'm pretty convinced that the reason why Felipe and Letizia are invited as opposed to Frederik and Mary has to do with the fact that Felipe is a more direct cousin of Charles through the Greek line -- Prince Philip with Constantine/Sophia/Irene.

I think there is actually more Danish blood in Philip than Greek blood but I am not an expert. I believe Frederik & Felipe are both 4th cousins in relation to Charles.
I doubt this has played a part though, its about protocol and personal relations. I dont think F&L would be going to the wedding in case JC of Spain would attend with Sofia on his own. Felipe is a replacement for his father.

You make a very good point. After all many of the royal families in Europe are also related through the "Grandfather of Europe" -- Christian IX (or whatever number he was) ... the father of Queen Alexandra.

I didn't remember that King Juan Carlos wasn't attending ... in fact, he hasn't attended a royal wedding in years outside of his own children has he?

You make a very good point. After all many of the royal families in Europe are also related through the "Grandfather of Europe" -- Christian IX (or whatever number he was) ... the father of Queen Alexandra.

I didn't remember that King Juan Carlos wasn't attending ... in fact, he hasn't attended a royal wedding in years outside of his own children has he?

No, Juan Carlos isnt attening, thats why Felipe is there, as replacement for his father. JC did attend some weddings, the one of his nephews in 2002 and 2004 and some greek weddings, Alexia, Pavlos.

Let's keep in mind the list isn't 100%, it's not the complete list so very possibly some people are invited and attending but not on list that was released.....

I put a table in Wikipedia of the Closest relationship of Queen Elizabeth II to other European Monarchs, and also the most recent common ancestor. Christian IX usually is referred to as the father in law of Europe. He made a bid to marry Queen Victoria, but she turned him down. So their descendants married each other.

The most recent common ancestor of all 10 royal families is John William Friso, who was not an ancestor of either Queen Victoria, or King Christian IX. He died young, did nothing particularly important, and only had two children (one born after his death). But since 1939 he has been an ancestor of every European monarch.

Sarah, Duchess of York

A lot of people made a fuss that Sarah, Duchess of York was not invited to the wedding. But looking at the format, I see only single invitations to the unmarried royals. However, presumably Prince Harry, The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie of York, Lord Downpatrick, The Lady Gabriella Windsor, Princess Alexandra,and Miss Marina Ogilvy are all adults and would presumably be allowed to invite a date.

Wouldn't the Duke of York be permitted to bring his ex-wife? Why would she appear on the guest list anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom