Wedding of William & Catherine: the Official Guest List

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the same with the netherlands and belgium

Belgium is right but there is no Crown Prince of the Netherlands as the heirs title is Prince of Orange. And it's strange that the reffered to Daniel only as Duke of Västergotland and not also as Prince. And Maria Teresa is only Duchess of Luxemburg not Grand Duchess.

Even within the BRF there are anomalies, eg

The Lady Davina and Mr Gary Lewis
Lady Rose and Mr George Gilman

The Earl and Countess of Ulster
Earl and Countess of St Andrews

I'd suggest the lists have been thrown together very quickly and not proof-read before issue.

On a different note, I am confused as to why the Earl of St. Andrews' children are on the list and his sister Helen Taylor's children are not. I know her girls are young but her boys are teenagers. James and Marina Ogilvy's children aren't on the list either which I also don't understand as they too are older now.

Oh, I have just noticed that the list is of "confirmed invitees" not of who was invited so perhaps those I mentioned above were invited and couldn't make it although it is still a bit odd that none of Helen Taylor's, James Ogilvy's or Marina Ogilvy's children will be there.

There's no mention of the Earl of Snowden, either.

I am looking forward to seeing Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, Lady Gabriella, Crown Princely couple of Belgium, Mr. and Mrs. Beckham, Lalla Salma and Sheikh of Qatar and Sheikha Mozah. King Abdullah and Queen Rania are not mentioned in the list. Will they be attending?

Last edited:
Hi guys!
CP Mary e CP Frederik they don't guest for the wedding! i was shocked!
what do you think about this?

Hi guys!
CP Mary e CP Frederik they don't guest for the wedding! i was shocked!
what do you think about this?

It was known for quite a while, but at least Denmark is represented by the monarch herself - Queen Margrethe.

How about the title for Victoria and daniel did they get it wrong.

Well, i guess Daniels official title until Victoria becomes throne IS Duke of Västergötland. In english it sounds cooler than prince.

This is the wedding of the heir's heirs so there is really no surprise IMO that there isn't a large contingent of royals attending. But there will be some Kings and Queens in attendance.

And I think this list was just thrown out, as pointed out there are some obvious errors in title even within the British Royal Family.I expect that might be cleaned up after the weekend.

And as previously pointed out, this is only a partial list of CONFIRMED guests.

Well, I think that most wedings of 2nd/3rd children of continental monarchs had more royals on the guestlist than this wedding... heir-of-heir or not. It just seems that the Windsors (and esp. William) are not that close to the rest of the Gotha. Considering their attitude to some,I am actually surprised that so many are attending on this level at all (and I am happy that my Queen is staying home).

Still,I think if there will be more non-reigning royals attending. Some Hannovers, Hesse-Kassels, Hohenlohe's or Badens (relatives of prince Philip). A few of them usually get invited (albeit not mentioned on the official guest list yet).

It seems that there is nobody from Liechtenstein, Japan (as announced) or Jordan (though it wouldn't be surprising if some of this family will be added later).

Last edited:
Well I think there is obvious "relationships" between a lot of the other royal families. That's why they tend to attend a wedding en masse so to speak. For the wedding of Charles and Diana, I believe every royal house was invited and did send representatives. Each successive royal wedding has had smaller representation.

Before anyone jump on their necks , remember these are the ones who confirmed their attendance! Maybe some were invited, but decided not to go

I think it will be the other way around. The Windsors are on top of the mount Olympus (like it or not) and people tend to attend. But since they/the groom don't seem to have (m)any personal bonds with foreign royals, an invitation to the monarch only (who can send a representative) is enough I suppose.

Last edited:
Well, I think that most wedings of 2nd/3rd children of continental monarchs had more royals on the guestlist than this wedding... heir-of-heir or not. It just seems that the Windsors (and esp. William) are not that close to the rest of the Gotha. Considering their attitude to some,I am actually surprised that so many are attending on this level at all (and I am happy that my Queen is staying home).

The continental royals tend to invite entire families to their celebrations. The British send an invitation to the foreign reigning monarch who can decide to attend or to be represented but the invitation is not extended to their entire family. In the same manner The Queen will be represented at foreign events but will not attend herself and will not send her entire family.
A large gathering of foreign royals is just not seen as important in Britain as it might be in Sweden or The Netherlands. It is just the way it works and seems to be well accepted practice by the continental royals who still continue to come to the UK for weddings, jubilees and anniversaries.

I think it will be the other way around. The Windsors are on top of the mount Olympus (like it or not) and people tend to attend. But since they/the groom don't seem to have (m)any personal bonds with foreign royals, an invitation to the monarch only (who can send a representative) is enough I suppose.

Marengo, I must agree w/ you. As a royalty follower, specially the British ones, it's something that upset me. One of the reason I'm excited about this couple, is that they could more easily related with other CP's couples. There is a significant age gap between The Prince of Wales and others Heirs.

Do the continental royals invite as many foreign heads of state and representatives as the Brits? Upon reading the official list, I was more struck by the number of dignitaries. As far as foreigners are concerned, the focus is very much on the Commonwealth. Even William's personal invites are very Commonwealth focused. The foreign royals seem to be a bit of an afterthought, or more of an attachment to the Queen's generation. William knows the PM of New Zealand better than the Queen of wherever.

It will be interesting to see if William befriends any foreign royals in the future. Maybe not. However, I can't see how any of them feel personally snubbed by the lack of an invite. None of them (except for the Greeks) can claim to be a friend or acquaintance of William. And he's not the heir.

this thing for William not being an heir is kinda stupid. what if suddenly the Queen and Charles died? William will be the future monarch.
he can be the heir of an heir, but he is still very important as other Crown princes.
maybe it was his choice not to have many foreign royality

Here's my two cents (for what they're worth) on the lack of the Crown Princely couples from the rest of Europe. If I'm not mistaken, a good amount of them are older than William and Catherine by at least five years, and they're mostly settled with children. I think it would be a little difficult to befriend someone who is not only a heir to the throne but also has a family (their free time is limited to begin with). The only couple that is close to their age is Victoria and Daniel, and they're invited and attending. Perhaps after the wedding there will be more chances for W&C to socialize with the other CP couples *shrugs*.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

I don't think they will socialize (much) with the foreign royals during the celebrations. From what I have read on Marlene's blog & such, I believe that at the pre-wedding dinner the couple will be absent and after the wedding the foreign royal guests are kicked out after lunch. But indeed, they are not very close at all to most of them, obviously. Prince William probably never spoke to most of them and met them very rarely. Not that they should be close of course. Since it is obvious that the couple has no interest at all in them, I wonder why the foreign royals go to London anyway. Good PR at home perhaps. But as personal relations are lacking they could send an ambassador as they do at official occassions in most republics. Clarence House didn't even have the decency to list the correct titles btw, they just couldn't be bothered ;).

Do the continental royals invite as many foreign heads of state and representatives as the Brits? Upon reading the official list, I was more struck by the number of dignitaries. As far as foreigners are concerned, the focus is very much on the Commonwealth.

They usually do, but I suppose the foreign heads of state don't always attend, In Scandinavia the presidents of Iceland and Finland usually show up and at the wedding of the prince of Asturias the presidents of Germany, Portugal, Colombia, Nicaragua, Kazachstan and several ex-presidents attended (Havel from the Chech republic and Mandela of SA for example).

Last edited:
:previous:
Marengo,
As usually, your comments are insightful. Earl and Countess of Wessex attend weddings/other celebrations in the continental Europe on behalf of the British royal family. Neither Prince William nor Prince Henry bothered to establish some kind of formal relationships by attending a wedding or celebrations. Anyway, it is always a pleasure to see gatherings of European royals, who obviously know each other (e.g., Crown Princess Victoria's wedding).
By the way, President of Kazakhstan is said to be King Juan Carlos' friend.

Last edited:
While William and Harry should (and whose to say that can't in the future) have any type of relationships with the European royals...why is it their fault? The Queen is the Head of the House, instead of sending the Wessex to the royal weddings, she certainly could have sent them?

And let's not compare the European heirs. Frederik, WA, Phillipe, Haakon and Felipe are a good ten years older than William. Their English counterpart...Charles is a good 20 years older than them. The only person that is the same generation of William is Victoria.

Daria_S said:
Here's my two cents (for what they're worth) on the lack of the Crown Princely couples from the rest of Europe.

But a good number of CP couples are attending- WA and Max, Letizia and Felipe, Daniel and Victoria, and Mathilde and Phillipe plus many Kings, Queens and Sovereigns....really the Danish CP, and Norway CP, are the only couple missing- unless I am not thiking of some

Isn't Haskon regent while his father is out of country? And Frederick as well?

Perhaps it's because William and Harry have conventional jobs in the armed forces and Edward doesn't? William and Harry have much less time available than Edward.

I see that Grand Duchess Maria Vladimrovna(who is considered as official representative of the Romanov Royal House) is not invited,nor her son Grand Duke Georgii.I wonder if they did attend any other royal weddings

:previous:
If memory serves me right, they did attend Crown Prince Felipe's wedding.

MRSJ said:
But a good number of CP couples are attending- WA and Max, Letizia and Felipe, Daniel and Victoria, and Mathilde and Phillipe plus many Kings, Queens and Sovereigns....really the Danish CP, and Norway CP, are the only couple missing- unless I am not thiking of some

They are attending indeed, but not a personal invitation as is usual but as representatives of their respective parent/monarch. It is very little compared (30 foreign royals if I counted correctly) to f.e. the Spanish wedding where approx. 200+ royal guests attended:
Felipe & Letizia

Still, all houses are represented and seem to be invited, so the court kept up appreances & was polite enough to invite them. Though PR-wise Clarence House might have preferred to send the invitations to more Beckham-like celebrities instead.

Anyway, considering the BBC will do the recording we probably won't see them on tv at all, no matter how many of them will attend. And if they do have a quick camera shot it will just be with the comment: 'foreign royalty', with no explanations. As I said, they just couldn't be bothered ;). Frustrating for royalty watchers but most probably to the relief of their average viewers (and the average viewer probably prefers seeing Cheryl Cole instead of the CPss of Denmark) .

Last edited:
I wonder if in private moments Kate and her family giggle about the impressive list of Royals and other people who will be attending her wedding, as in 'whodathoughtit?'. The reality of her future life must be a bit overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom