Wedding of William & Catherine: Television Coverage and Lead-Up Programs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to think that just maybe "Mr. Remote" will be watching all of the goings on with me. He really surprised me a while back. BBCA was running the series "The Tudors" continuously (I started watching it at 4am) and hubby actually didn't say a word... sat there and actually got into it with me for the entire day!

I'll probably start watching the coverage as soon as it starts and stay up the night before until the wedding itself which will air about 6am my time. Not planning on cooking anything but will stock up on goodies that take a second to run to the kitchen for. Perhaps nap between the balcony appearance and the coverage of arrivals for the dinner party if there is any at all. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Ya that's what I'm thinking take a short nap while we waiting for any arrivals coverage we may get from the dinner party. I'm still pretty torn on which channel to tune into.

I haven't decided whether or not im going to sleep the night before or just do an all nighter. Coverage here starts 3am and will prob go until about 5am ish or so and then I'm thinking of taking a nap till 10am when the dinner reception would begin I mean assuming we may get a little bit of coverage of the arrivals.

My mom says I should just tape it and watch it later but I don't feel like it'll be the same if I do cause I want her to see it with me but she refuses to wake up that early though my friend will be up with me and on skype doing live chat during the wedding.

Even though it doesn't appear so, the church wedding is a public event. I am interested only in the "doings" up and until the balcony appearance. Everything else is private. I won't be upset if there is no reception photo.

I just have always found it weird how all the other royals release something and the BRF haven't I mean it's their choice yes not arguing that. Guess I've just been spoiled by the foreign royals.:p My fave is prob Willem Alexander and Maxima very natural didn't look staged at all and actually it looks like they didn't even know the photo was taken. IMO I think what would be too much is demanding to see the speeches and first dance unless it was the couple's choice to broadcast it and IMO Daniel and Victoria really over did it especially with the picture book I think it was their choice though but I would never expect/ask for them to do it like that. If you go to myroyals you'll see all the different coverage over the years for anyone curious.

Last edited:
In my marathon of The Tudors on BBC America I have discovered that they are advertising themselves as "The Home of the Royal Wedding"

Royal wedding fever already grips networks - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

"I was at NBC back when Charles and Diana got engaged and had their wedding," Simon said, "and I remember as a young programmer being stunned at the way America became so engrossed in this event and immersed in it. As I recall, it didn't kind of hit its critical mass until just a few weeks leading up to it, but once the train got going, it was a pretty remarkable phenomenon to watch how many people were up all night -- on the West Coast particularly, in the middle of the night -- by the millions."

In the days of DVR, I can't imagine people getting up in the middle of the night, but I can see the masses getting on board as the day gets much closer.

In the days of DVR, I can't imagine people getting up in the middle of the night, but I can see the masses getting on board as the day gets much closer.

I live on the West Coast, where I believe the wedding begins at 3 am. DVR or no, a group of us are already planning our get together and my sister is flying here specially so we can watch together. My husband has even agreed to make us tea and scones. :D
S

I just got my schedule from work up to the end of April...and I'm definitely not working the 29th!!! (insert happy dance here).

I LOVE IT!!!!!

I get to indulge in all the pomp and ceremony of another Windsor wedding without the guilt of having called in sick!!! LOL . Yeah, I admit, I was going to resort to feigning illness if I had to work and couldn't get someone to switch shifts with me - don't judge!!! LOL

Time to go to Claire's and get me a tiara!! :LOL:

Oh heck... if I was working and was scheduled for the 29th, I'd even call in dead that day.

I am on vacation the week of the wedding, which is going to be absolutely fabulous! I'll be able to catch all the pre-wedding events, shows, etc..., during the week. The wedding will be taking place at 05:00 am CST, so I plan on being up about 2:00 or 3:00 am, to catch everything I can leading up to the ceremony. I plan on baking biscuits the night before, and have my pretty tea service ready to go so all I have to do is put the kettle on, heat the biscuits and sit and enjoy the wedding. I think an espresso will be necessary first though. :eek:

My hubby thinks I am nuts. :lol:

It's ok my parents think I've lost my mind since the engagement was announced haha so your not alone^ I'm so torn right now as to what channel to record on wedding day do certain channels use diff feeds or did they all use the main BBC feed cause I've found alternative angles to Diana's wedding in documentaries done from 97 onwards as well as a few alternative angles in the ABC broadcast but not in the ABC news recap so I dunno what in the hell to do. I can't record mulitple channels sadly so I can only choose one but I dunno which one! help!

The channels I have are ABC, NBC, CBS(dunno if theyre going to broadcast it) TLC CNN(again dunno if they will air it) CBC CTV and Global. I don't have any BBC channels except BBC newsworld.

Last edited:
Over the next few months what I would do is watch each of the channels and figure out which ones have the least commercial times. ABC, NBC and CBS would definitely be out for that and they're probably prone to be the "gabbiest" but probably will be interviewing the most people pre-wedding.

Another idea too is if you have DVR on your computer, record the BBC internet feed. The coverage of Victoria and Daniel's wedding I watched over the internet was great.. no commercials and extraordinary. I also watched CBC live feed when the Queen was in Canada and that also was fantastic!

What I need to do is work on replacing my LCD wide screen monitor before the wedding. Mine just went on the fritz a while ago and going back to a 17" CRT is the pits. Right now we have a big screen TV in the living room but I'm going to try and talk Mr. Remote into setting up our other TV in here also. So 2 TVs, internet coverage and your family think YOU'RE nuts??

haha I've been preparing a royal dinner to make them on wedding eve and wedding night so ya they pretty much think I'm nuts in that department. Other reasons include because I've bought a pretty expensive tiara for myself around 30 bucks mom bought me a crown neckalace and I'm looking for "princessy" pj's to wear on wedding day at 3am otherwise I'll have to switch into my sweat outfit that has a crown on it. I also bought a BP mug to drink my OJ from on wedding morning and I'm also figuring out what to make for myself to eat at 3am that day not sure I'll be hungry though haha. I think I've also bought any magazine with William and/or Kate's face on it.

I'd LOVE to record the BBC stream but I don't have a dvr on my computer ah shoot! I do have a dvr but problem is I have no idea how in the hell to get anything off of it. I don't even know what I need in order to transfer the recording to a dvd.

I'm just worried about one thing, do these wedding usually have alternative streams depending on the network or do they all use the same feed? why do I remember there being a fight about that over the tv stations when Diana and Charles wedding was happening. I watched Charles and Camilla's wedding on CBC and CNN and they all seemed to have the same stream. Same with Andrew and Sarah I've never seen any alternative angles to the wedding ceremony only one I've seen is Charles and Diana that have alternative streams of the ceremony inside the church at certain points.

Last edited:
I really have no idea about the streams as when I watched Charles and Diana's wedding I only had one TV and one station broadcasting and back in '81 the PCs were very very primitive compared to today. One thing nice though is that if you do get a computer with DVR, you'll be able to watch any DVD you record of the wedding on the computer.

I did find you a princess sleepshirt! Not a bad price too. :D

Blue Disney Princess Sleepshirt | Sleepwear | Women | ProductDetailPage | Disney Store

I'd LOVE to record the BBC stream but I don't have a dvr on my computer ah shoot! I do have a dvr but problem is I have no idea how in the hell to get anything off of it. I don't even know what I need in order to transfer the recording to a dvd.
QUOTE]

What I do to get stuff off my DVD recorder is once I've copied a show on a disk from the DVD Recorder, I put it on my laptop using a program called DVD Decryptor, and then I use a program called Handbrake to convert it into a smaller mp4 file.:flowers:

I did that with Victoria and Daniels wedding and it looks decent enough (not as good as the copies you uploaded!!:)) but I'm sure if settings were played around with (something I didn't do) I could have got it looking better!!.

Hope that helps a little:flowers:

...if you have BBC world, they will definately air coverage of the wedding, as they did with Charles & Camilla.

Last edited:
I really have no idea about the streams as when I watched Charles and Diana's wedding I only had one TV and one station broadcasting and back in '81 the PCs were very very primitive compared to today. One thing nice though is that if you do get a computer with DVR, you'll be able to watch any DVD you record of the wedding on the computer.

I did find you a princess sleepshirt! Not a bad price too. :D

Blue Disney Princess Sleepshirt | Sleepwear | Women | ProductDetailPage | Disney Store
Awww cute!! ya I see what you mean can you imagine if Charles and Diana had gotten married in the age of twitter?

QP, I'm able to get anything off dvd recorder but I can't get anything off my dvr do you need like a dvd recorder hooked up to that too? :lol: I am so bad at these types of things. I'm guessing CBC and CTV will be good networks thought tbh Ive never seen a royal wedding that was interrupted by commercials but again I haven't seen very many royal weddings.

Ok, just to get this sorted out in my mind. You have a DVD recorder (with a tray to put a DVD in to copy stuff onto), and a dvr (with no tray to put a DVD in to copy stuff onto), am I understanding that correctly??

If that is the case, yeah, you need to hook up the DVR to the DVD recorder so you can copy the stuff off the DVR onto a disk.:)

Ya that's right I have a dvd record in my room hooked up and works and I have a dvr machine inside the living with no recorder. Also most if not all my programs are in HD so I'm guessing I'll lose the HD quality when transfer them?

Ya that's right I have a dvd record in my room hooked up and works and I have a dvr machine inside the living with no recorder. Also most if not all my programs are in HD so I'm guessing I'll lose the HD quality when transfer them?
Yeah, you lose the HD quality...sucks, doesn't it

Me too! I have taken off from work and.......... gotten a tiara to wear while watching :D

firebee34 said:
Me too! I have taken off from work and.......... gotten a tiara to wear while watching :D

I found copies of the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara online...don't know if I wanna spend what they want for it though!!

i have dvr on my laptop, how would i record BBC's live streaming of the wedding?

it def does. Oh boy I can't wait to see my dad's reaction tonight at dinner when I tell him I need another dvd recorder :lol:

Just keep reminding him of how much cheaper buying one would be rather than the costs of you attending the wedding in London. After all, you DO have the proper tiara to wear! :flowers:

haha exactly^ And actually I even approached him with the idea and he had considered for a while until he saw the price tag!

ETA: I just called him he was strangely calm and agreed to get it for me before April 29th!! Dads honestly amaze you sometimes just when you think you have them figured out.

Anyone know how to hook up a dvd recorder to your dvr if so can anyone PM me with instructions it would help both me and my dad get this thing up and running quicker(once we get it!)

Last edited:
bethaliz6894 said:
i have dvr on my laptop, how would i record BBC's live streaming of the wedding?

Outside the UK you need to subscribe to a "VPN", otherwise when you go to the BBC website to watch live, it will say " you appear to be outside the UK" and you can't watch. It's $5 and up for a month's subscription to a VPN (virtual private network) depending on who you go through. As far as the recording part goes it all depends on the program you use! :)

Hope that helps!!

Lucky for me I live in continental Europe and can receive the BBC via digital television - plus we (well, my dad actually) already own a DVD recorder.
I have already told my dad that he'd better explain to me how it works before April 29th :lol: :lol:

I only have to buy the DVD+R's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom