Wedding of William & Catherine: Television Coverage and Lead-Up Programs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you're going to see the wedding aired, either live or tape-delayed on any of the major US networks. They may send correspondents over to report on it, but I don't think you're going to see any NBC cameras or ABC cameras in the Abbey.

I heard that NBC was sending Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera over to cover the wedding, which means it will be shown (maybe using someone else's feed, I don't know if there's one feed that is used by everyone or not). I also heard that Katie Couric was headed over for CBS. ABC won't be left out. I'll keep looking to find where I heard the first two, but here's some idea of the interest:

TV network news rushing to cover royal engagement

Piers Morgan's new CNN show will also originate from London for the entire week surrounding the wedding to cover the story.

Piers Morgan will open show with Winfrey - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Arts & Entertainment

eta: As I'm searching, I'm finding that most networks have special Royal Wedding sites:
http://www.cnn.org/SPECIALS/2011/royal.wedding/
http://windsorknot.todayshow.com/
http://www.cbsnews.com/2718-207_162-982.html
http://abcnews.go.com/International/Royal_Wedding

Maybe Amanda Holden will be covering for CBS?: http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/news/a293458/holden-to-cover-royal-wedding-for-cbs.html

Also, it seems video of the Westminster Abbey ceremony will likely be made available free to accredited broadcasters around the world. This article states: "BBC, ITV and Sky News are all planning live coverage, as are a host of broadcasters in the U.S. and around the world. But despite the high tune-in, the Royal Wedding — in 3D or not — likely won't generate a huge payday for broadcasters because the event will air live."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40441335/ns/today-today_people/

I'll keep looking...

Last edited:
Ok seems like it'll be covered live in US, so I am definite about getting up early now :) thanks for the research!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if BBC America will be covering the wedding??

They haven't made any announcements yet as far as I can tell, but it wouldn't surprise me either way (I'd guess that they will, since they're billing themselves as "home of the royal wedding" on Facebook). However, I think BBC America has to bid like every other channel for the rights to distribute programming in the US, and it usually airs the BBC World coverage of events (which is often interspersed with news updates and commercials). For Charles and Camilla's wedding in 2005, another channel (I think Women's Entertainment) bought the rights to air the uninterrupted BBC1 coverage.

The wedding will be covered live in australia, in the Herald Sun today an article (just an extract) "The wedding will take place on Friday, April 29 at 11am, or 8pm for those of us here in Victoria. And such is the supposedly feverish local interest in their nuptials that discussions are already being held about rescheduling AFL and NRL matches due to be played that night.....".

Everything is projected to be the most-watched TV event, but you have to realize that if the wedding starts at 11am London time (for example), that's 6am EST, 3am PST. That's rather early for us Americanos to get up to watch TV. Granted some people will do it anyway, but will that be enough of a demographic shift to warrant sending camera crews over? No station is going to take a financial hit on something not enough people are going to watch.

Live streams on the internet are a different story. If the BBC or any other UK stations set them up so that people from outside their territory can watch, that would be better as it allows everyone to watch who wants to, but doesn't end up costing networks money.

I'll wager 1 yrs pay it will be on at least 1 major network as well as several other cable networks. I was 16 when Diana married Charles and I got up at 5:00 to see it. saying that not many people will watch is just plain silly IMO

I'll wager 1 yrs pay it will be on at least 1 major network as well as several other cable networks. I was 16 when Diana married Charles and I got up at 5:00 to see it. saying that not many people will watch is just plain silly IMO

I won't take that bet!
I'm sure there will be wide TV coverage in the USA, early hours or no early hours. :)

I won't take that bet!
I'm sure there will be wide TV coverage in the USA, early hours or no early hours. :)

Well, I remember getting up at crazy hours to watch Princess Anne's wedding, and later Charles and Diana's, and I saw Andrew and Sarah's live, too. I see no reason that U.S. TV would not show this wedding live.

Ann

Does anyone know if BBC America will be covering the wedding??
I would assume they would have the BBC feed. I know during the UK election coverage in May they went straight to BBC coverage and I would assume they would do the same. In NYC It will be 6 AM and I have already taken off work LOL.

I would assume they would have the BBC feed. I know during the UK election coverage in May they went straight to BBC coverage and I would assume they would do the same. In NYC It will be 6 AM and I have already taken off work LOL.

I have to report here that I did program in the TLC William and Kate 8 Royal Weddings that aired over the weekend. What astonished me the most about the whole thing was watching Sophie and Edward's wedding and just how much Edward looked like William.

Mr. Remote actually watched the entire show with me and asked questions. I promptly fell off my chair.

The royal wedding will be a truly global TV event with millions from all over the world tuning in. Outside of the UK, I would expect especially big audiences from the US, Canada, and Australia.

I have to report here that I did program in the TLC William and Kate 8 Royal Weddings that aired over the weekend. What astonished me the most about the whole thing was watching Sophie and Edward's wedding and just how much Edward looked like William.

Mr. Remote actually watched the entire show with me and asked questions. I promptly fell off my chair.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol:

Hi all!! New to the forums. Very excited for Prince William and Catherine!. I plan on waking up early and recording Coverage from the CBC and BBC on my PVR. I have the sky player on my xbox and will hook it up to an old DVD recorder to record their coverage. All I need is a pot of Earl Grey on the day and all will be well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but for our American friends(or anyone else for that matter :) !!) who might like streaming coverage from the BBC or Sky News, might I suggest subscribing to a VPN so you can watch coverage online?. Living outside the UK, we can't get live feeds from the above channels as we don't pay the UK licensing fee!. Subscribing to a VPN works around that. Yes, I am a techno nerd!!! LOL

Have a great day everyone!!!

Global announced full coverage of the wedding last night including any events that may take place in the days leading up to the wedding.

Oh wonderful! To me this will be a good option over watching the major networks such as ABC, NBC etc here in the US and perhaps stay away from the "gabby" commentators. TLC, part of Discovery, has a good reputation for quality shows.

Actually, no it doesn't. Any network that airs X Kids and Counting, Jon & Kate Plus 8, Sarah Palin's Alaska, and countless shows about obese people and midgets, cannot call themselves purveyors of "quality shows." TLC used to be "The Learning Channel", now I don't know what the hell it is. Too many crappy reality shows, not enough actual informative or educational programming.

I'm glad to hear that TLC will cover it live. I imagine other networks will soon be releasing their coverage schedules too.

I agree with you there Sister Morphine, TLC does procuce some crappy shows now.

I'm glad to hear that TLC will cover it live. I imagine other networks will soon be releasing their coverage schedules too.

I agree with you there Sister Morphine, TLC does procuce some crappy shows now.

Most of the shows I've watched on TLC were pretty good. I'd forgotten about all the crappy ones. I have to agree though that those "reality" type shows are rated less than infomercials in my book.

In surprised TLC will be covering it.
I can't wait to hear other channels that will air it to.

Most of the shows I've watched on TLC were pretty good. I'd forgotten about all the crappy ones. I have to agree though that those "reality" type shows are rated less than infomercials in my book.
Yep, the influx of reality shows on TLC turned me off. Maybe I'll give the channel another chance and see what other programs they're airing.

CrownPrincess5, I also can't wait to hear which channels will be airing it.

Last edited:
Actually, no it doesn't. Any network that airs X Kids and Counting, Jon & Kate Plus 8, Sarah Palin's Alaska, and countless shows about obese people and midgets, cannot call themselves purveyors of "quality shows." TLC used to be "The Learning Channel", now I don't know what the hell it is. Too many crappy reality shows, not enough actual informative or educational programming.

Thank you! I was thinking the very same thing.

I'm actually going to have a headache trying to figure out which channel to record the wedding from. I hope we find out ahead of time if there will be any coverage of the night time reception (ie: will they show arrivals on tv?) cause after the balcony appearance I plan on falling asleep cause I'll be dead tired but I'll need to know if I'll have to wake up again and switch the dvd.

I hope we get to see that too!!
I loved SVT's coverage of Victoria and Daniel's wedding last year! They had such extensive coverage - I hope we are as fortunate with William and Catherine's wedding!

Still trying to get use to calling her Catherine and not Kate!! :)

I hope we get to see that too!!
I loved SVT's coverage of Victoria and Daniel's wedding last year! They had such extensive coverage - I hope we are as fortunate with William and Catherine's wedding!

Still trying to get use to calling her Catherine and not Kate!! :)
You know for me she will remain "Kate".Well I just call her Kate till she becomes Princess of Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom