Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The English field maples being installed, for me, create such an organic ambiance. An unaffected beauty in all it's simplicity.

The abbey with it's architectural integrity, is austere, and is softened by the presence of plant life.

A quintessential England brought in doors and the effect is quite stunning.

I can't imagine taking an expensive, irreplaceable piece of jewelry out of BP into the country, only so that Catherine can bring it back later in the week. I'd say it was more likely a gift for her or for her parents.

Good point. In retrospect it may be something that William got Kate's mother. However, it wouldn't be completely unheard of to bring something special for Kate that he wanted her to open it in front of her family in a less formal atmosphere. He has tons of security with him so it isn't as if he wouldn't be protected.

The trees look beautiful. Kate will have her beautiful and meaningful English garden.

The article seems to explain the significance of the trees:

""The symbolism means a lot to her and also the sourcing has been hugely important.”
The English field maple symbolises humility and reserve, and was used to make loving cups in medieval times, while the hornbeam signifies resilience.
The trees will also evoke Miss Middleton’s home village of Bucklebury, Berks., where the family home lies on an avenue of oaks planted to commemorate a visit to the village by Queen Anne in the 17th century. "

Regarding the cost, do they have to pay for the flowers taken from Sandringham and Windsor? It seems unlikely and would keep down the cost in addition to being special.

jonc93 said:
WOW! I can't say I expected real trees in the Abbey, but it sounds look it will be absolutely beautiful! And if the Prince of Wales gets bored he can always lean over and talk to one of them! ;)

Oh you're so bad...

I had a differing thought, Osipi. I immediately thought that the trees and other living plants would go a long way to creating a different feel in the south nave than what existed during Diana's funeral (which was gorgeous indeed, but much the way the Abbey always looks but with the addition of stunning flowers on the altar). And, yes, KittyAtlanta, the Abbey is very beautiful just the way it is, but under the circumstances, this is a celebration of life, and if it were me, I would want to try and keep my husband from experiencing too many reminders of a very sad time in his life on a day that he should be looking ahead to a whole new life. Just a thought....

Thank you for this. Excellent points and it's also the best posting about the floral arrangements I've seen since we learned about them today. :flowers:

I'm really hoping that Catherine's obvious interest in the Language of Flowers sparks a renewed interest in it, as it's so facinating. I've always been interested in it as well, but it was so hard to find any information about it. Pre Internet that is. Still, it's a pretty obscure interest these days and even online while there's sites out there, it's still pretty small.

I've learned an awful lot the last couple of weeks from the interviews and articles w/the cake decorators and now the florists. :)

Last edited:
A bit of what goes around comes around - the Vatican had a number of days they could have chosen for John Paul's funeral but they chose the already announced date of Charles and Camilla's wedding forcing it to be changed.

This time they again chose a date close to a British royal wedding but it doesn't seem to be in their favour.

Guess the Vatican still isn't over that Henry VIII thing :whistling:

I like the trees in the Abby and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Can you imagine the impact this is going to have on future weddings - as I type, I expect there are wedding planners frantically in search of trees for upcoming weddings.

That sounds like Prince Charles' contribution. I can't imagine Kate walked into the cathedral and claimed "What about living trees!", however I can certainly see Prince Charles doing that. After all, he is paying for the wedding and probably cringed at the thought of using cut flowers and greenery.

Absolutely! I'll wait to see the whole ensemble, but that seems like very The PoW like

Lady Oona said:
Are the trees going to be on the actual aisle or on the perimeter of the Abbey? If it's on the actual abbey I would imagine some guests view would be blocked.

Decades ago at the opening of a cathedral here in the US they brought in six fresh blooming dogwoods and put them on the altar. It was stunning. I'm sure these trees won't
Block
Anyones view and will be spectacular.

I'm suprised and thrilled to hear about the tree's. The Abbey is surely gorgeous but can be far to dark for my liking. The trees and flowers will add a certain lightness and natural feel to the place. Not long till we see the final product

The trees are such a great idea and I love, absolutely love, learning about British plant lore. I'm wondering how they'll work in the plants of Wales - I'll bet they do.

But it's wonderful that Kate is into the symbolism of the flowers and knows her flower history.

I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I am so excited for the wedding!

Hooray for William & Catherine!

Interesting article showing how determined Pipa is in getting it her way or the theme but I must say I cant imagine

Source
erect glitter balls in the throne room where a post-wedding breakfast disco is going to be held
Call me old fashioned or something but who would want to wake up to a disco feeling room.
I think the beauty of the Palace & to get the feel of it is to leave it the way it is.

Facebook page: HRH Princess catherine - A Jewel In The Crown

Hello everyone. I ardently admire Catherine and though it may be premature to some, I have created a very special page on facebook for her entitled "HRH Princess Catherine - A Jewel In The Crown. It is a celebration of catherine's life and the up-coming Wedding to HRH Prince William. I do hope you will all join. Much love to each and everyone of you, today and always! xx

she going to wear queen Elizabeth's tiara...a woman from her town placed 6000 pound bet with 12:1 odds. I'm sure her hair will be up, and she will wear the tiara.

i wonder where she's living till the wedding?

The rehearsal pictures look great & I cant wait for the wedding ceremony.
Im sure we will get pictures of the couple at the rehearsal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom