Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Harry: 'We thought William would not marry Kate'

Prince Harry has disclosed that Prince William's friends and family did not think he would ever marry Kate Middleton.

Prince Harry: 'We thought William would not marry Kate' - Telegraph

That's misleading. Here's the video: Exclusive: Prince Harry on Kate Middleton - ABC News

Harry didn't say he didn't think William would marry Kate. He just joked that they didn't think William would marry at all (in the way that siblings do). In fact, he told the reporter that William would have proposed 2 years ago without all the pressure. He waited out the media.

Thanks so much jdcharlie for posting the video link of the interview with Harry. I was very impressed with Harry's relaxed and open manner which can only be down to the fact that the reporter did his job well and he developed a good rapport.

Thanks so much jdcharlie for posting the video link of the interview with Harry. I was very impressed with Harry's relaxed and open manner which can only be down to the fact that the reporter did his job well and he developed a good rapport.

The reporter was formerly an ABC news network anchor. Several years ago when he was reporting in Iraq he was seriously wounded by a roadside bomb. Later he started a foundation to help injured soldiers. So he shares a passion with Harry for the issue, which I'm sure helps.

Bob Woodruff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Royal Wedding: how to avoid it - Telegraph

Royal Wedding: how to avoid it

Desperate to avoid the royal wedding's dawn-to-dusk coverage? Sophie Campbell suggests a few places where you won’t hear the words 'Royal couple’.

Or invest in a Bose earphone headset and switch on your favorite music while closing your eyes. Far cheaper, though not inexpensive but the headset is able to filter all sounds from the environment you're in and let you float with the music... Personal recommendation from my husband who plans to do just that next to me while I'm going to watch the wedding, of course...

Prince William will not wear a wedding band per the couples wishes says Palace

People Mobile: Homepage

Apparently this is official- so I guess they are not worried... I know some plp were wondering if he would and others thought it wrong for men not too but now we have more info! :) yeah more info!

I think he should wear a wedding band. Sort of disappointed that he won't. I find it very strange when married men don't wear wedding bands. I think it shows lack of commitment...
Just my humble opinion...

Pish. Most royal husbands don't wear wedding bands, or if they do, they wear it behind their signet ring on the little finger. William doesn't have a signet ring. I think everyone will know he is a married man. :lol:

Pish. Most royal husbands don't wear wedding bands, or if they do, they wear it behind their signet ring on the little finger. William doesn't have a signet ring. I think everyone will know he is a married man. :lol:

Perhaps William is the type of man that doesn't really care to wear any jewelry. I don't think I've ever seen much on him other than a watch. Another thought that struck me while typing this is that perhaps William won't wear a wedding band but Kate is planning on giving him a special ring (signet) at the altar? That would be something unique.

Sure, unless the have been living under a rock for the six months...

Even so... I think married man should wear bands.
Aparently is an old custom not to wear one... I guess I'm modern then...;)

Well, I'm a little surprised he will not be wearing a wedding ring as most married men do these days. I know that CP Frederik wears one (he lost the original when he went diving a few years ago but seemed to replace it quickly which I thought was sweet of him!). Still, it is William's choice and preference.

Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall's daughter Laura Lopes has wedding nerves - Telegraph

Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall's daughter Laura Lopes has wedding nerves

Laura Lopes is anxious about her daughter Eliza's role as one of the bridesmaids at Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding.

Laura is right to be nervous, Eliza is so young, I myself wonder if she could get stage fright once she sees all those grown up around her. I assume the children will be walking hand in hand w/ another bridesmaid. perhaps they pair her up w/ someone older, just to make sure she makes to the aisle :).

That's misleading. Here's the video: Exclusive: Prince Harry on Kate Middleton - ABC News

Harry didn't say he didn't think William would marry Kate. He just joked that they didn't think William would marry at all (in the way that siblings do). In fact, he told the reporter that William would have proposed 2 years ago without all the pressure. He waited out the media.

Thank you jdcharlie, the video makes it clearer what he meant. That's one of the problem of being famous, people take your words and display them as they wish. The interview was more revealing that I was expecting, but sure enough when the reporter asked about the stag party, he gave a polite "I'm not going to talk about it".

Last edited:
Theat bit of information about being married 2 years ago, I feel that we already knew it. Royal Reporters have always said William likes to do things his own way and that he was going to propose when he wanted to, it seems right that he waited 2 extra years just to show the media he is "in charge".

Well, I'm a little surprised he will not be wearing a wedding ring as most married men do these days. I know that CP Frederik wears one (he lost the original when he went diving a few years ago but seemed to replace it quickly which I thought was sweet of him!). Still, it is William's choice and preference.

Why wouldn't you wear a ring? the whole world will know you're married anyway! William, William, I'm not pleased about this. :confused::hammer:

Last edited:
And when you're finished with your closets, my address is....

LOL

KittyAtlanta,
I have a cousin who lives in Bethlehem, GA, so perhaps I could do a dual clean-out of her closet and yours. Then we could have a huge yard sale and with the proceeds, go see the Royal Wedding in person. Perhaps that would get my zippadeedodah back for all things royal.

Even so... I think married man should wear bands.
Aparently is an old custom not to wear one... I guess I'm modern then...;)

Here in Germany, SAR-pilots don't wear jewelery at all. It's not done due to the job. A normal pilot just put the ring off his finger on going to work but then its not a problem to forget to put it on again. Its different with William: any time he would simply forget to put it on again the media will have a field day. Plus the ring is too precious to be left at the base so he would have to think about it and a safe placement all the time. So I think its better not to wear one from the beginning. I bet his grandmother is only too willing to give Catherine another piece of that Welsh gold to have one made to present to him after quitting the active service.

So I guess: practical reasons. Do not always think of negative reasons first. they are both in love - why should he treat her this way when all he has ever shown for her was respect and care and love?

Last edited:
I just heard that Will won't be wearing a wedding ring and I don't understand why. I think that's silly and I think every newlywed should wear their wedding rings...actually every married man should have their ring on.

Did Charles not wear a wedding ring after he married Diana?? I'm wondering if this is a first for the royal family. I've never heard of something like this. And I would not be very happy about it if I was Kate.

I really don't care whether William, or my future husband for that matter, wears a wedding ring. It's just a ring and doesn't mean anything if a man's heart isn't in it. Look at how many married men wear them and still cheat on their wives.

In his heart William loves Catherine and does not need a wedding ring to prove it to her or anyone else.

With regards to William not wearing a wedding ring, I'm not surprised really, if he had a signet ring then maybe I'd expect him to follow his father & uncles in wearing a wedding ring under the signet on the little finger but since he doesn't have, or has never worn, a signet ring then I wasnt expecting him to wear a wedding ring. Also don't mind as I've never liked when guys wear rings on their little fingers, which appears to be the custom of royal men with their rings.

I don't think it means anything either, a ring does not make a marriage. And besides Prince Philip has never worn a wedding ring & his marriage appears to be doing ok ;)

Last edited:
I just heard that Will won't be wearing a wedding ring and I don't understand why. I think that's silly and I think every newlywed should wear their wedding rings...actually every married man should have their ring on.

Did Charles not wear a wedding ring after he married Diana?? I'm wondering if this is a first for the royal family. I've never heard of something like this. And I would not be very happy about it if I was Kate.

Prince Philip has never worn a wedding ring. It's actually a relatively new custom for men to wear wedding rings, used to be unheard of.

My husband and I have been married for 34 years (in June). He still has his wedding band but cannot wear it due to the nature of his work. Come on people, can't you see the wisdom in William not wearing a ring in his line of work? I have always believed a married man is married whether or not it shows on his hands. Besides who would miss this wedding???

grammas26 said:
My husband and I have been married for 34 years (in June). He still has his wedding band but cannot wear it due to the nature of his work. Come on people, can't you see the wisdom in William not wearing a ring in his line of work? I have always believed a married man is married whether or not it shows on his hands. Besides who would miss this wedding???

I think a wedding ring says more than "hey I'm married!". We will all know he's married but I think it's respectful for a man to wear one for his wife. Your husband is understandable but I don't see Will doing any kind of work that could hinder him from wearing it (except perhaps when he's flying). It's a new day and age I think he should wear one. I'm so used to the ring being a major symbol of marriage and this is throwing me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
Royal Wedding: how to avoid it - Telegraph
Royal Wedding: how to avoid it

Desperate to avoid the royal wedding's dawn-to-dusk coverage? Sophie Campbell suggests a few places where you won’t hear the words 'Royal couple’.

Muriel, this is the one I want!

"No news, no television and no telephone" – just the spectacular surroundings of tiny Tsarabanijna Island, off north-west Madagascar, where you can loll about at Constance Lodge in bare feet and a pareo, sleeping in a thatched bungalow and eating seafood.
------------------------------------------------------

KittyAtlanta,
I have a cousin who lives in Bethlehem, GA, so perhaps I could do a dual clean-out of her closet and yours. Then we could have a huge yard sale and with the proceeds, go see the Royal Wedding in person. Perhaps that would get my zippadeedodah back for all things royal.

I work with a woman who lives in Bethlehem. Small world. You couldn't get me in London for the wedding!
--------------------------------
Prince Philip has never worn a wedding ring. It's actually a relatively new custom for men to wear wedding rings, used to be unheard of.

Early on, he wore a band under his signet. It is visible in some photos.
-------------------------------------------------
William and no wedding ring:

It appears Kate doesn't care, as the report stated it was by their mutual consent.

Last edited:
And I would not be very happy about it if I was Kate.

I think Kate is Ok with it. For what I understood it was decision made by the couple.

I think he should wear a ring, being the modern men he claims to be, I expected him to wear a band...
But anyway... It's their decision. If Kate is Ok with it, then so be it.

Prince Michael is the only man in the BRF who wears his wedding ring on his wedding finger,

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I find it odd that the other men in the family wear their rings on their little finger,but at least they do wear them. I know it's his choice but disappointed in William.

Quote:

Early on, he wore a band under his signet. It is visible in some photos.
-------------------------------------------------
William and no wedding ring:

It appears Kate doesn't care, as the report stated it was by their mutual consent.

Really? Oh, maybe it's because I'm used to more modern pictures & seeing him for the last 10-20 years rather than earlier years, I can't actually recall him ever wearing a ring of any kind, signet or wedding. Oh well, nevermind. Like I said earlier a ring does not make a marriage & if both are ok with it then that should be enough for everyone else.

Thinking about it though, my brother got married in Japan last year (he moved out there a few years ago to teach English) & neither he nor his wife wear any rings whatsoever. No engagement rings, no wedding rings, nothing, never bothered with them. Maybe that's a Japanese thing though, maybe they don't do rings...anyway, point is I don't think it matters if you have a ring or not. A ring won't guarantee your marriage works or give it luck or anything & nor will not having a ring automatically doom it or mean one person or the other isn't fully committed. So long the couple themselves know what it is between them then fine, have at it! :D

Last edited:
Prince Michael is the only man in the BRF who wears his wedding ring on his wedding finger,

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I find it odd that the other men in the family wear their rings on their little finger,but at least they do wear them. I know it's his choice but disappointed in William.

I think the ring on the little finger thing - which I hate by the way :p - is an old tradition for men in the upper classes, nobility etc. Started with the signet ring being worn on that finger, back in the day when signet rings were really in proper use, & then I guess just became the ring finger for all rings if you were a man of a certain class.

There's a lot of mean press lately concerning William's hair loss, with jokes, etc.

Some of the comments are interesting, with one young man who lost his hair at 17 mentioning how unhappy it made him because of the jokes and people laughing at him. He said he's sure William feels just as bad.

I was wondering if the jokes are mostly from other men?
I think men put much more importance on hair loss than women do.
It seems to me that most women don't truly care about whether a man is bald or not; his other traits are more important.

What does everyone think?

It is customary to wear a signet ring on the hand one uses the least...for William that would be his right () hand, a wedding band would be worn on his left () hand...wearing more than one ring is considered poor etiquette

I don't care about the hair. To paraphrase an earlier post, the inside is more important than the outside. That being said, I wanted my husband to wear a ring. To me it wasn't about being married, but we looked for one he liked, and it was a gift from me.

recently this made the local news- This is their decision for Wills not to wear a ring and HRH will wear a band made with Welsh Gold..She is one very very lucky lady..Her time waiting was worth it..She has the Brass ring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom