Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than living on the street and under bridges. Although homelessness is an eyesore the reality is that everyone needs a dry place to sleep. The tents will most likely be gone by the time the wedding takes place but the homeless will still be homeless. All cities are dealing with the homeless issue, including Philadelphia.

I know that, but I guess I just don't see why police haven't evicted them. Don't people need a legal permit to pitch a tent on public land? You know as well as I do that if someone tried to do that in front of the White House they'd be arrested immediately.

But I don't think those people are homeless; I think they are political protesters or something like that.

Last edited:
Yes a dense dark fruitcake is traditional for English weddings. Usually it has an almost shell like Royal icing but some use a marzipan based icing or buttercream.

The first English wedding I attended o said to another guest 'i wonder what kind of cake it is' and they gave me' an odd look and said 'it's a wedding cake'. To whi h I replies 'yes but what kind'... Well you can imagine the hilarity my ignorance provoked.
Fortunately I like fruit cake and so think this tradition is fine!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

A tradition maybe, but one that is going out of style fast IMO.

No offense intended to anyone that likes it, but I absolutely loathe fruitcake. I've had all kinds of fruitcakes, dry and moist alike, and all of them were just awful. I understand it's tradition and all that, but if I were at a wedding where the cake was a fruitcake, I would have to pass and hope they had some other desserts available for people.

Better than living on the street and under bridges. Although homelessness is an eyesore the reality is that everyone needs a dry place to sleep. The tents will most likely be gone by the time the wedding takes place but the homeless will still be homeless. All cities are dealing with the homeless issue, including Philadelphia.

The people living in tents outside parliament are not homeless - they are protesters (it started off against the Iragi war I think). Although they are "peaceful" protesters, it is an eyesore and I can only assume if they are not removed before the wedding, there'll be plenty of crowds to stand in front of them!

Yes a dense dark fruitcake is traditional for English weddings. Usually it has an almost shell like Royal icing but some use a marzipan based icing or buttercream.

The first English wedding I attended o said to another guest 'i wonder what kind of cake it is' and they gave me' an odd look and said 'it's a wedding cake'. To whi h I replies 'yes but what kind'... Well you can imagine the hilarity my ignorance provoked.
Fortunately I like fruit cake and so think this tradition is fine!

No offense intended to anyone that likes it, but I absolutely loathe fruitcake. I've had all kinds of fruitcakes, dry and moist alike, and all of them were just awful. I understand it's tradition and all that, but if I were at a wedding where the cake was a fruitcake, I would have to pass and hope they had some other desserts available for people.

It's like Marmite - you either love it or hate it!

Me too!
I'd rather skip dessert than eat that.
But the alternative cake sounds luscious.

I've never been to a wedding where the cake was a fruitcake, but then, I have never been to a wedding in the U.K.

Do other countries also have a traditional type of wedding cake?
Here in the U.S., the couple just chooses their favorite flavor.

It's like Marmite - you either love it or hate it!

Is Marmite anything like Vegemite? Friend of mine brought some with him when he visited from Queensland and I do have to report... its very much an acquired taste. :eek:

Personally I like fruitcake myself. But I have to bless the bride and groom that has cheesecake! One thing about fruitcake though, I bet it doesn't make as much as a mess if the tradition is followed where a single lass will put a piece of wedding cake under her pillow.

Now I'm wondering.. will they move these two cakes from the first reception to the dinner/dance later on or will they be having a different dessert?

One of the coolest wedding cakes I've ever seen, was the cake a friend of mine and her husband had. They are both huge New York Yankees fans, and they had a pinstriped cake. If you've seen the team's home uniform, you'd know it's white with navy blue vertical pinstripes. Well, they had a cake that not only had pinstriped icing, but the cake itself was pinstriped! I don't know how the baker(s) managed it, but when you cut into the cake, you saw these small, narrow stripes on the inside of the cake. It was a vanilla cake with white chocolate icing, and the pinstripes were made of white chocolate that had been dyed with food coloring. The icing on the inside of the cake between the layers was a vanilla buttercream.

That cake was to die for, let me tell you.

you never know. There are a lot of people being invited for other reasons than "close relationship to the couple". anyways, we'll have to wait and see

Actually, we really don't There is zero reason to invite Raine Spencer to William's wedding.

Sigh. I also really like marmite!!!

I would really love it if both William & Kate have managed to have their stag/hen parties without too much fuss/media attention. They should be allowed to have a bit of a party like every other bride & groom without worrying about someone in the media moaning about it/attacking them etc. Many media seemed to only be interested in the stag/hen parties because they want the chance to get potential scandal & what have you, only wanting to find any & all negative thing they could, so hopefully W&K have indeed both had their parties & the media were unable to track them down. :)

Kate had hers at home, she didn't pub crawl as was the original thought. Likely the only way to ensure media didn't get wind some how.

That is true. But they are either government officials, heads of state (or their representatives), friends of the parents (Charles, Diana, Camilla, Michael and Carole) and of the grandparents. In everyday weddings, it is customary for parents of the bridal couple to invite some friends to their children's wedding.

Where does Raine fit into that? She definitely hasn't been seen in public with them, which means nothing. They could have met in private, but even than you would have heard a whisper.

Raine doesn't appear to have a relationship with her stepkids, why would she with her step grandchildren?

She is family. She was married to William's grandfather for years, nursed him back to health through a stroke, and if she was close to Diana after Diana's father died, I am sure William had some contact with her. There is a chance we will see her.

I'm allergic to nuts so I've never had to suffer through the wedding cake whenever I've been to a wedding. Though even if I could eat nuts I'd still hate fruitcake as there are variations that are nut-free that I've tried & well...I'm not a fan.

My nut allergy though does mean whenever I maybe get married one day I have the best reason to have a non-traditional wedding cake...chocolate wedding cake here I come! :lol:

Is Marmite anything like Vegemite? Friend of mine brought some with him when he visited from Queensland and I do have to report... its very much an acquired taste. :eek:

Personally I like fruitcake myself. But I have to bless the bride and groom that has cheesecake! One thing about fruitcake though, I bet it doesn't make as much as a mess if the tradition is followed where a single lass will put a piece of wedding cake under her pillow.

Now I'm wondering.. will they move these two cakes from the first reception to the dinner/dance later on or will they be having a different dessert?

Yes it's almost the same as vegemite. The key is to spread it very thinly otherwise it tastes awful! Anyway, back to William and Kates wedding cakes, I think they will be served at the first reception. The second reception is more likely to have other desserts.....then again if enough people pass on the fruitcake earlier in the day they might fob it off on the evening guests :ROFLMAO:

Yes marmite is pretty much the same thing, they are both yeast extracts, and both definitely an aquired taste. Some how got convinced to try both, when living in London and volunteering in Melbourne, never again. As for fruit cake, makes a good door stop is what we say in Canada.

Cheesecake I love. I have never heard about putting the cake piece under a pillow before. I admit I love watching shows like Cake boss or extreme cakes. I want either cheesecake or tiramisu when I marry, maybe combine the two. I used to work in catering, and almost none of the wedding cakes got touched, other than the piece the couple cut. They usually took home at least half. The desert table and candy bars when they had them on the other hand were demolished.

Kate had hers at home, she didn't pub crawl as was the original thought. Likely the only way to ensure media didn't get wind some how.

Excellent! I'm glad, though really it was the only sensible choice if you ask me. I dread to think of how much media attention/headlines/comments etc would have happened had they all gone to a club or pub crawl in London like some reports speculated. I've also heard that William did have his this weekend (there was an article on the Daily Telegraph website but now the link doesn't appear to work for some reason) & they had a secret, private do in the country somewhere away from prying eyes & photographers. Good news all round I say, hope they all enjoyed themselves! :D

I'm allergic to nuts so I've never had to suffer through the wedding cake whenever I've been to a wedding. Though even if I could eat nuts I'd still hate fruitcake as there are variations that are nut-free that I've tried & well...I'm not a fan.

My nut allergy though does mean whenever I maybe get married one day I have the best reason to have a non-traditional wedding cake...chocolate wedding cake here I come! :lol:

Your comment on chocolate being untraditional would tell us you were a Brit without looking. I had to suffer through fruit cake enough in the UK. Chocolate is pretty traditional in North America, often chocolate and vanilla alternating. Things like banana, red velvet, even pumpkin, tiramisu used in a layered cake, would be the more unconventional.

Excellent! I'm glad, though really it was the only sensible choice if you ask me. I dread to think of how much media attention/headlines/comments etc would have happened had they all gone to a club or pub crawl in London like some reports speculated. I've also heard that William did have his this weekend (there was an article on the Daily Telegraph website but now the link doesn't appear to work for some reason) & they had a secret, private do in the country somewhere away from prying eyes & photographers. Good news all round I say, hope they all enjoyed themselves! :D

The privacy as well as lack of bad press was quoted. I think it is similar, for Kate, to her birthday. She had a low key family affair this year, after becoming engaged. She is a lot more conscious of her public image. Besides I am sure a fun party with her friends at home, Holly Branson was said to be among them, would likely be better than worrying about paparazzi, and all that.

Your comment on chocolate being untraditional would tell us you were a Brit without looking. I had to suffer through fruit cake enough in the UK. Chocolate is pretty traditional in North America, often chocolate and vanilla alternating. Things like banana, red velvet, even pumpkin, tiramisu used in a layered cake, would be the more unconventional.

I need to move to America! Or at least only attend American weddings! :lol:

I've never attended a wedding where the cake wasn't a fruitcake, but at least I have good reason for not eating it so I'm not appearing rude by rejecting their cake ;)

Oh and agreed on your above post about the stag/hen parties ^ just better all round to try & minimise exposure to the more tabloid/paparazzi kind of press coverage so really it was the best idea for both parties to be in more private and/or secluded settings. I'm sure the parties were great fun & probably more fun for the fact that everyone would be able to relax without worrying about media attention/interference etc.

Last edited:
Add me to the crowd that is not a fruitcake fan. My godmother gives me one every Christmas (never knew that Eastern Orthodox had it as a traditional dessert on that holiday), and I pass it off to my grandmother, who ends up with two. She's not happy with me when I do that, because she has no one to pass it off to. I'm just happy to get rid of it.

As for the chocolate cake that William requested, it sounds absolutely fabulous. Would love to get my hands on that recipe :D.

Chocolate is pretty traditional in North America, often chocolate and vanilla alternating.

I couldn't decide whether to have chocolate or vanilla at my wedding, so I opted for a marble cake! :lol:

I couldn't decide whether to have chocolate or vanilla at my wedding, so I opted for a marble cake! :lol:

Wow, I so have to get married in America! I think if I were ever to get married my Mum & Grandma would frown upon me having anything other than a fruitcake Wedding cake even though I, the Bride, would be unable to eat it! :lol:

Could any of our dearest american members record this show and then try to upload it?? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hwcMzPelV4

It's the fairytale wedding that everyone is talking about; but how much do we really know about what will take place? In this hour television special, we will take you inside the social event of the new millennium. Premieres Sunday March 27 at 10|9c only on TLC. TLC : Family, Home, Style, Cooking

There are several recipes for the chocolate biscuit cake online. They all sound yummy. I may make one as
Well as a
Small traditional wedding cake for
My 'viewing party'

rossop7 said:
Wow, I so have to get married in America! I think if I were ever to get married my Mum & Grandma would frown upon me having anything other than a fruitcake Wedding cake even though I, the Bride, would be unable to eat it! :lol:

I did a vanilla butter cake with vanilla pudding in the between layers and chocolate buttercream icing! It was awesome and some people were a bit offput with the brown cake until they tasted it :)

My mum MUST have her f/c during the Christmas Holidays..

Have @ it....No thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom