Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the wedding cake is for the reception and the chocolate one is for the diner offered at the evening par the prince of wales ? or both for the reception?

Today there is a ceromony for remembering people dead in new zealand eartquake. The prince of wales will join the ceremony. Maybe william and Kate? Who knows!!!

Does anyone know if Raine, the Dowager Countess Spencer is invited for the Royal Wedding?
She is, ofcourse, the step-grandmother of Prince William.

Do you think the wedding cake is for the reception and the chocolate one is for the diner offered at the evening par the prince of wales ? or both for the reception?

Sounds plausible.

Does anyone know if Raine, the Dowager Countess Spencer is invited for the Royal Wedding?

Can't imagine why she would be. Diana was not close to her (far from it)!

Can't imagine why she would be. Diana was not close to her (far from it)!

Actually Diana did get closer to Raine after her father's death. That being said, I can't imagine why Raine would be invited. I don't believe she has a relationship with William.

Actually Diana did get closer to Raine after her father's death. That being said, I can't imagine why Raine would be invited. I don't believe she has a relationship with William.

I agree with that. IMO it doesn't matter how Diana's relationship with Raine was, it matters how hers and William's is.

I would really love it if both William & Kate have managed to have their stag/hen parties without too much fuss/media attention. They should be allowed to have a bit of a party like every other bride & groom without worrying about someone in the media moaning about it/attacking them etc. Many media seemed to only be interested in the stag/hen parties because they want the chance to get potential scandal & what have you, only wanting to find any & all negative thing they could, so hopefully W&K have indeed both had their parties & the media were unable to track them down. :)

Last edited:

With regard to BBC coverage and teh presenters they will use, Huw Edwards, Fiona Bruce and Sophie Raworth are, I think, excellent presenters and should do a good job. The other presenters are I think likely to play smaller roles in the coverage such as interviewing people in the crowds etc. It is ashame that David Dimbleby isn't doing the main presenting as he's realy good at these sorts of things.

With regard to the Wedding Cake, Fiona Cairns does do exceptionally tasty cakes - you can buy them at Waitrose (boxes of 6 small iced sponge cakes) and Waitrose do a party food ordering service where her cakes can be found. Incidentally, it is no surprise they have chosen her with her connections to Waitrose as Charles' Duchy Organics range is sold exclusively there.

Last edited:

Here's what I found about wedding cakes:

The Groom's Cake is a tradition that was prevalent in early American ceremonies, but seems to have fallen from favor in most contemporary weddings. The groom's cake was usually dark (e.g., chocolate) to contrast with the bride's cake. The groom's cake appeared at the reception along with the wedding cake. The origin of this tradition is unclear. Some believe it was to be served by the groom, with a glass of wine, to the bridesmaids. Others believe it was to be saved and subsequently shared with friends after the honeymoon.

There is hardly a bride today who can't resist saving the top layer of her multitiered cake. Most couples freeze the cake with the intention of sharing it on their first wedding anniversary. The tradition has its roots in the late 19th century when grand cakes were baked for christenings. It was assumed that the christening would occur soon after the wedding ceremony, so the two ceremonies were often linked, as were the cakes.

End of quote from: The Wedding Cake . . . history, customs and traditions

Having a fruit cake is necessary or several reasons: stability to support multi-layered cakes and you can keep the "christening part" tinned till the event (okay, today you have a deep freezer but still fruit cakes freeze better than cream cakes). But not all people like fruit cake and so I guess William wanted a groom's cake made of chocolate biscuit in order to feast on it himself (oh, there are deliciously wicked things one can do with a chocolate cream cake to celebrate the nuptial with your new wife...)

What a great bit of
Research on the commonwealth flowers! Fascinating!
But I do hope she doest include leeks, somehow...LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

The article I read said both are for the reception.
The one wedding cake is (horrors!) our old friend the fruitcake; the chocolate one has been designated "the alternative cake."

(I know which one I would choose!) ;)

What a great bit of
Research on the commonwealth flowers! Fascinating!
But I do hope she doest include leeks, somehow...LOL!
perhaps they could add it to the fruit cake' recipe, making "extra" yummy......

The one wedding cake is (horrors!) our old friend the fruitcake; the chocolate one has been designated "the alternative cake."

after me, you can take the second piece :p

Last edited:

you never know. There are a lot of people being invited for other reasons than "close relationship to the couple". anyways, we'll have to wait and see

Fruit cake is delicious beleive me, I taste many at weddings in cornwall and near london each time I found it really tasty and marvellous. You add fresh fruits with it and the combination is extra.

you never know. There are a lot of people being invited for other reasons than "close relationship to the couple". anyways, we'll have to wait and see

That is true. But they are either government officials, heads of state (or their representatives), friends of the parents (Charles, Diana, Camilla, Michael and Carole) and of the grandparents. In everyday weddings, it is customary for parents of the bridal couple to invite some friends to their children's wedding.

Where does Raine fit into that? She definitely hasn't been seen in public with them, which means nothing. They could have met in private, but even than you would have heard a whisper.

Raine doesn't appear to have a relationship with her stepkids, why would she with her step grandchildren?

CNN had a segment this morning on the cakes and interviewed the bakers too. Just looking at what that chocolate biscuit cake will resemble has had me in a drooling for chocolate mode all day so far. Quite yummy looking!

You can watch the segment at: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/03/26/foster.royal.cakes.cnn&keepMeLoggedIn=true

Last edited:
That is true. But they are either government officials, heads of state (or their representatives), friends of the parents (Charles, Diana, Camilla, Michael and Carole) and of the grandparents. In everyday weddings, it is customary for parents of the bridal couple to invite some friends to their children's wedding.

Where does Raine fit into that? She definitely hasn't been seen in public with them, which means nothing. They could have met in private, but even than you would have heard a whisper.

Raine doesn't appear to have a relationship with her stepkids, why would she with her step grandchildren?

Perhaps she could be invited just to show a nice gesture. 1900 seats, they could fit her there :lol:
William Hill would have so many different ideas after checking this thread

on another note

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-host-Royal-Wedding-party-Downing-Street.html

the local councils sure know how to make it way more complicated! that must put a lot of people off

Last edited:
CNN had a segment this morning on the cakes and interviewed the bakers too. Just looking at what that chocolate biscuit cake will resemble has had me in a drooling for chocolate mode all day so far. Quite yummy looking!

You can watch the segment at: Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lipapnQCP71qde1svo1_400.jpg

Queen Victoria’s 1898 wedding fruit cake is still moist 113 years later. The icing is discolored due to improper storage and is cracked from a WWII bombing. Displayed in the bakery’s window for many years, the baker’s daughter finally donated it, as she had never been married and worried someone would find it in her attic and think she had been left at the altar

Shockingly I don't believe they dont' have enough seats. If the reports in the Daily Mail are true, they aren't even inviting all of their friends. But find a space for Raine Spencer?

It certainly would be a very gracious gesture if she was invited. Raine nursed Diana's father, Williams's grandfather, back to health after a devastating stroke. I remember reading that no one thought he would be able to walk Diana down the isle for her wedding but Earl Spencer himself said that without the determination and care of Raine it did happen. It must have meant a lot to Diana to have her dad recouperate enought to be able to do that.

Extended families are more than the people you hang out with on a frequent basis.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lipapnQCP71qde1svo1_400.jpg

Queen Victoria’s 1898 wedding fruit cake is still moist 113 years later. The icing is discolored due to improper storage and is cracked from a WWII bombing. Displayed in the bakery’s window for many years, the baker’s daughter finally donated it, as she had never been married and worried someone would find it in her attic and think she had been left at the altar

Queen Victoria didn't get married in 1898, she got married in 1840. So whoever wrote that needed to do some fact checking. :lol:

Ha Ha - most people seem to prefer an alternative to the fruit cake. As I love fruit wedding cake, there is always plenty left for me at weddings!

It's nice to see that we have confirmation about Mathilde and Phillipe.

Queen Victoria didn't get married in 1898, she got married in 1840. So whoever wrote that needed to do some fact checking. :lol:

oh my! :lol: sorry, but I found this at tumblr and now can't found the original source.
anyone would still fancy a bite?

I hope that those squatters in the tents in front of the Abbey will be gone before the wedding. That tent city is an awful eyesore.

What is up with that?

I don't understand why people are permitted to pitch tents in a public area and just live there for years and years! How is that possible?

Doesn't the U.K. have any trespassing laws?

Here's what I found about wedding cakes:

The Groom's Cake is a tradition that was prevalent in early American ceremonies, but seems to have fallen from favor in most contemporary weddings. The groom's cake was usually dark (e.g., chocolate) to contrast with the bride's cake.

The groom's cake still pops up in some American weddings, especially in the south. I think that some people don't bother with them due to price constraints because the main cake is so expensive now that instead of being considered the bride's cake, it now represents the couple.

The groom's cake often has something to do with an interest the groom has. They can also be kind of wacky. Anyone who saw Steel Magnolias would remember the grooms cake that looked like a dead armadillo. :ROFLMAO:

I hope that those squatters in the tents in front of the Abbey will be gone before the wedding. That tent city is an awful eyesore.

What is up with that?

I don't understand why people are permitted to pitch tents in a public area and just live there for years and years! How is that possible?

Doesn't the U.K. have any trespassing laws?
Better than living on the street and under bridges. Although homelessness is an eyesore the reality is that everyone needs a dry place to sleep. The tents will most likely be gone by the time the wedding takes place but the homeless will still be homeless. All cities are dealing with the homeless issue, including Philadelphia.

The groom's cake still pops up in some American weddings, especially in the south. I think that some people don't bother with them due to price constraints because the main cake is so expensive now that instead of being considered the bride's cake, it now represents the couple.

The groom's cake often has something to do with an interest the groom has. They can also be kind of wacky. Anyone who saw Steel Magnolias would remember the grooms cake that looked like a dead armadillo. :ROFLMAO:

Off topic but I so remember that scene. I remember when she cut of the butt and gave it to the bride's father. :lol::lol:

Don't want that to happen at the royal wedding!

Is this fruitcake a tradition?
I can't imagine anyone picking that for their wedding cake. The chocolate biscuit cake now that sounds delicious...yummy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom