Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The headlines I am waiting for are:

1) Camilla on balcony for Diana's son's wedding
2) Camilla takes Diana's place in carriage ride

I wouldn't be surprised, but I truly hope not. Diana is dead, let her rest in peace. Camilla makes Charles happy, that is what should matter here. That and the fact both Will and Harry have welcomed her into their family. If William has no problem with Camilla being there, who are the press or the people. She isn't taking Diana's place, she is there as the wife of their father, and as Will's stepmother.

I have to wonder, if Diana was alive, would Camilla have been in the procession? How would they handle a divorced couple?

What the media should be reporting on is whether or not all these carriage rides are necessary. I get William and Kate, the Queen (she is the Queen) but Pippa and the rest I don't get it. Plus the children are so young they will need either a nanny to come with them or they could have some children with Pippa in one carriage and the rest with Harry in another. As for the parents of the bride and groom in a carriage too... It is the couple's big day not their big day. I thought this wedding was supposed to be low-key. I knew it wouldn't turn out that way.

It's the same as a normal wedding, I don't understand why you are making it out to be some huge spectacle. The wedding party usually travels too and from the church with the bride and groom. Now a days there are things like limo buses for them. It isn't like the entire royal family are doing it, or they bought new carriages to accomodate them all. Or that this is something crazy and unheard of, we see the carriages out for a number of events.

:previous: If Diana was alive I imagine it would be like Diana and Sarah on their wedding days. The Queen rode with Earl Spencer and Prince Phillip rode with Frances Shand Kydd, at that time both Diana's parents were remarried. We never saw the Countess or Peter in the procession.

Nontheless Diana is deceased, so Camilla will ride with the Middletons.

In regads to the children in the procession...this is a show....low key is Kate arriving in a rolls and not the Glass carriage...for all of the royal weddings that I have watched...the parents (the Queen. DoE and the Spencer, Ferguson and Rhy Jones relatives have rode in the procession), as have the children. Its a nice treat for them. Does anyone remember (not to get too off topic) Charles riding with the kids at Edward's wedding...he looked like he was ready to get out of carriage pretty quick. Moreso an older gentleman who hasn't spent a lot of time with little kids in quite some time.:whistling:

It's the same as a normal wedding, I don't understand why you are making it out to be some huge spectacle. The wedding party usually travels too and from the church with the bride and groom. Now a days there are things like limo buses for them. It isn't like the entire royal family are doing it, or they bought new carriages to accomodate them all. Or that this is something crazy and unheard of, we see the carriages out for a number of events.

I am not making it out to be a huge spectacle. I just think that is a long carriage ride. Its okay to have different opinions on the wedding. ;) I was also pointing out that the media seems to lack objectivity when it comes to this wedding. They seem to thing everything is a great idea when maybe it isn't. Just an idea.

The low key aspect again is how Kate and William are arriving at the Abbey. I believe both Diana/Sarah and Charles/Andrew arrived via carriage as well. And again both Diana and Sarah arrived via the glass carriage so this is a change. Also, the route has changed....its not as long as in the past.

Let's face it...some things are not going to be cut. I also don't think you will have all the horses and British service men/women doing the usual parade stuff that the British do so well!

:previous: If Diana was alive I imagine it would be like Diana and Sarah on their wedding days. The Queen rode with Earl Spencer and Prince Phillip rode with Frances Shand Kydd, at that time both Diana's parents were remarried. We never saw the Countess or Peter in the procession.

Nontheless Diana is deceased, so Camilla will ride with the Middletons.

In regads to the children in the procession...this is a show....low key is Kate arriving in a rolls and not the Glass carriage...for all of the royal weddings that I have watched...the parents (the Queen. DoE and the Spencer, Ferguson and Rhy Jones relatives have rode in the procession), as have the children. Its a nice treat for them. Does anyone remember (not to get too off topic) Charles riding with the kids at Edward's wedding...he looked like he was ready to get out of carriage pretty quick. Moreso an older gentleman who hasn't spent a lot of time with little kids in quite some time.:whistling:

Yes I can remember Charles, he looked ready to jump out and run for the hills, if that was not too undignified. I was only a few months old when Diana and Charles wed, and pretty young for Andrew and Fergie. I was really excited when Edward and Sophie got married, I got to watch my first royal wedding live, when I was old enough to really understand. I feel a special connect to those two also because I was living in the UK when Louise was born, and I can remember all of that.

I am personally much looking forward to the carriage ride because it'll be nice to see everyone..... If there was no carriage ride many would be complaining not enough glamour/royal ....people want to see the bride and groom yes but also the royals! (or at least some people do).

Oh please! It was never "Diana's" coach. These news headlines are ridiculous.
Yes they are ridiculous and annoying! My personal feeling is that this is the only reason that Catherine will be driving to the Abbey in a (ohmygosh, gasp)car!

But all is not lost ladies and gentlemen. The big winner is US! as the vehicle chosen is . . . . . ta da!!!!!!
In a surprise move, Clarence House also announced that the vehicle in which Miss Middleton will be driven to the Abbey will be the same Rolls-Royce that the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were using when they were attacked by student protestors last year.
The vehicle, which has not been used since rioters smashed one of its windows and threw paint on it, is being repaired specially for Miss Middleton’s final journey as a spinster
Don't you just love that word "Spinster", (of this Parish I presume)?

But back to my point. This car is magic. Just check out the photo's, e.g. Prince Charles's car attacked during student protest - The Globe and Mail#

hhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337088/ROYAL-CAR-ATTACK-Mob-attacking-Charles-Camillas-car-lucky-shot.htmlttp://

Try to ignore the situation and note just how much can be seen inside the vehicle. Picture the Bride and her Father in it. We will get a birds eye view of it all. The tiara/hair, the veil, the jewellery, "The Dress". Why oh why is there not a drooling smile?

As an aside, Prince William will be driven to the Abbey in a separate state car. Presumably Harry will accompany him :lol:

MARG said:
Don't you just love that word "Spinster", (of this Parish I presume)?:

Ew! I can't believe they used this word ....it's so insulting oh man! Rude! They could have said single....

Well, don't they sign Spinster on the marriage certificate. I believe that is what is said for the Queen, Diana, etc. Is it also listed in the column titled occupation? Can you imagine Spinster:ROFLMAO: I remember reading that in a book on Charles and Diana's royal wedding...thinking...gosh...a spinster at the ripe old age of 20?!

Do they still do that in the UK?

I like the car Kate is going in, but I would of preferred one like Princess Alexandra of kenta with the "bubble" top almost, it was all glass on the back and some on the top and sides offered great views of the bride. But if this is what Kate wanted I'm happy with that! :)

Royal Wedding: King of Bahrain rejects invitation from Prince William and Kate Middleton - Telegraph

Has anyone read this? The article claims the wedding was scheduled around Obama's state visit, that the visit took precedence and then wedding scheduled... That seems nuts to me!

I read the article differently, it read to me that the white house planned the state visit around the wedding.

"Obama’s men, adamant that the two events should not clash, subsequently agreed May 24 to 26, almost a month after the wedding, as the dates for his visit. "

This wouldn't actually surprise me, which says something about what's published these days.:ermm: Maybe you've given some writer an idea for a story, Jacknch. ;-) :-D

Last edited:
Are they still trying to make a story out of the Obama non story.

It doesn't change the fact that they are not going. End of story.

Are they still trying to make a story out of the Obama non story.

It doesn't change the fact that they are not going. End of story.

The main focus of the article was the King of Bahrain. I am glad the man didn't choose to come. It would be such a disruption to the wedding. With the Saudi King and the Oman one at least, I am sure Kate will soon have some fancy jewels of her own. I know they asked donations, and I am sure even the royal guests will give donations, but I'd not be surprised if there was some jewels too. Some of Diana's most beautiful, her saphire collection I believe, came from the Middle East as a wedding gift.

I agree with those who said it was not the state visit took precdence. Obama's men were making sure the dates didn't clash, to take anything away from the royal wedding. It may also cause a slight security issue if both events happened at the same time. With so many foreign dignitaries around, security will be an issue.

I had a question, there was some talk recently of Stephen Harper having to go through another election. If Stephen Harper stepped down as prime minister, would he still be invited to the wedding? Or his invitation for the prime minister, and who ever his replacement was, would get it? I know it will never happen. Harper had to face re-election almost every year after he got elected the first time, because of his minority government, and yet he is Prime Minister still, but the question was in my mind.

Last edited:
Regarding Kate's dress, whatever anyone speculates, it will most likely turn out to be completely the opposite to what we thought. The world was stunned with the beauty of Diana's dress, of Princess Mary's dress, and will be with Kate's dress. :flowers:

Duchess of Durham said:
I read the article differently, it read to me that the white house planned the state visit around the wedding.

"Obama’s men, adamant that the two events should not clash, subsequently agreed May 24 to 26, almost a month after the wedding, as the dates for his visit. "

Maybe I did read it wrong or maybe precedence was to strong a word... Either way I think it's strange the author suggests the Obamas would get the 'free seat' since King not coming (even if written in jest, still weird).....

I have to wonder, if Diana was alive, would Camilla have been in the procession? How would they handle a divorced couple?

I suspect there would have been an extra carriage and Camilla would have ridden with Sophie, Edward and perhaps Princess Alexandra.

It's an interesting thought.

Either seperate carriages or hopefully Diana and Charles would have burried the hatchet long ago, and could be seen in public as a unified front when necessary.

But that scenario just opens up a can of worms. Would have Charles married Camilla were Diana still alive, would have Diana married again etc and so forth. It's messy and such topics never reach a very amicable ending, unfortunately

I do think though that if Diana was still alive, that she'd have looked simply divine at the wedding.

Last edited:
Maybe I did read it wrong or maybe precedence was to strong a word... Either way I think it's strange the author suggests the Obamas would get the 'free seat' since King not coming (even if written in jest, still weird).....

It was just a joke, and considering how much the press has blown out of proportion those 2 not being invited, not to be unexpected. I think he was making a joke of the press' obsession actually, to state they could wiggle themselves into those seats.

It's an interesting thought.

Either seperate carriages or hopefully Diana and Charles would have burried the hatchet long ago, and could be seen in public as a unified front when necessary.

But that scenario just opens up a can of worms. Would have Charles married Camilla were Diana still alive, would have Diana married again etc and so forth. It's messy and such topics never reach a very amicable ending, unfortunately

I do think though that if Diana was still alive, that she'd have looked simply divine at the wedding.

You don't think Charles would have married Camilla if Diana was alive? I don't see why not, and it would be quite pathetic if he didn't. They were divorced, they were both entitled to move on, she did. I think he likely would have married her sooner, if Diana hadn't died. They had not been divorced long, what a year, when she died. He knew what a backlash he'd get, plus he wanted to respect his sons. I think if she was alive, and the people not grieving their 'princess of hearts' he'd have married sooner.

She'd look divine at the wedding? Perhaps. I think we all remember her as the beautiful princess at her wedding, or even what she was when she died. Remember she would be fourteen years older if she was alive today. She would have been nearly 50, this year in July would have been her fiftieth birthday. I am sure she would have aged gracefully, but she is still not the beautiful young princess we all remember her as.

It would have been nice to see Diana and Charles both there for their son. I look at this photo below and I think or hope they could have put aside their differences for their son for one day. But at least in Kate's ring, his mother is there in spirit, smiling down on her beloved son.

http://resources0.news.com.au/image...-wales-with-their-baby-son-prince-william.jpg

You don't think Charles would have married Camilla if Diana was alive?

It's entirely possible he wouldn't have re-married and it's entirely possible he would have. It just something we'll never know so theres no use (imo) in distending that particular topic any further, really. It's all theoretical and such hypotheticals derail threads in a way that generally results in moderation intervention ;)

She'd look divine at the wedding?

Yes, I do believe she would have. I am inclined to think her bone structure would have held up quite well though you appeared to think I was only referring to her physical appearance, which I was not :)

Without a doubt, Diana would have remained one of the most fahionable women in the world and to have seen her at the wedding of her son would have been quite something.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised, but I truly hope not. Diana is dead, let her rest in peace. Camilla makes Charles happy, that is what should matter here. That and the fact both Will and Harry have welcomed her into their family. If William has no problem with Camilla being there, who are the press or the people. She isn't taking Diana's place, she is there as the wife of their father, and as Will's stepmother.

Had Diana been alive today the protocols (vis-a-vis the existence of Charles' first and second wives at the same event) for this sort of thing would have been ironed out years ago and by now we would have been used to those protocols so it wouldn't be an issue for the wedding. Imagining the situation today is different to how it would have been in reality because we would have gone through the situation a couple of times before such as at William's passing out parade.

It is interesting that the parents are all travelling in one carriage together instead of two carriages - one for Charles and Kate's mother and one for Camilla and Kate's father. For me this points to the possibility that the protocols are firmly in place to account for Camilla's somewhat unusual position of being a royal step-mother to an heir whose real mother has died and not a replacement.

If anyone knows me they know my love for Diana but this is just overly dramatic and unnecessary

ET Royal Wedding Promo

You'll generally find that type of tasteless, sensationalised dribble in American media.

But what do you expect though coming from an entertainment program that then progresses to stories on 'whack job' Sheen and Chaz Bono's mastectomy journey?!

And I understand why Jane Seymour would be involved. Oh wait! No I don't! Oh I know, she's English and has on OBE! That explains it...lol.

Nothing against Jane, but what a pointless addition to the program and I certainly am glad of my decison to have declined a signed book from Katie Nicholl mid last year. Nooo loss there!

Last edited:
Thanks Georgiea :)

All this makes me wonder whether the wedding preparations and festivity would have been the same if Princess Diana was alive?

I am sure things would have been really different.

Last edited:
Again.....somehow this has become Diana focused. No need to wonder what would have happened if Diana was alive. She is not.

Moving on.

Just saw on CNN this morning that Kate is is practicing with the carriage.
Getting in.. getting out can be a bit tricky I guess. Also has been riding around in it too to get used to it. As it sways back a forth, they don't want her to be getting motion sickness.

Wedding fever I think has really hit CNN as it seems at least once a day they've had something in regards to the royal wedding. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom