Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, hope I don't offend anyone but, How awful I hope Kate does not wear anything from these lines... what happen to classic... :whistling:
http://geebird.com/userfiles/wedding dresses with lace sleeves FD053_3.jpg

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/130328/4ad3367e676c5_130328n.jpg

I agree it should and likely will be traditional. It's not like Kate is getting an off the rack dress though. None of the gowns we find on the website will resemble her gown. Sarah Burton if she is the designer, will design something personally for Kate not from the line. The dress she did for Sarah Buy's was quite pretty. I just find as pretty as the more traditional gowns Burton has done are, there is such a huge separation between her couture and her more traditional. I think a designer like Oldfield has a far better balance.

Sure, Bruce Oldfield designs beautiful dresses but then there's Alexander McQueen. Sarah Burton has been his right hand for 14 years so I take them as a whole for now. But McQueen has always shocked people, dropped jaws, haunted people's dreams. They're on two different levels. Bruce Oldfield is beautiful, McQueen is out of this world. But that's something personal, you don't have to agree ofcourse.

Sure, Bruce Oldfield designs beautiful dresses but then there's Alexander McQueen. Sarah Burton has been his right hand for 14 years so I take them as a whole for now. But McQueen has always shocked people, dropped jaws, haunted people's dreams. They're on two different levels. Bruce Oldfield is beautiful, McQueen is out of this world. But that's something personal, you don't have to agree ofcourse.

That is a great description of the two designers :flowers:. I don't feel that Kate has the "McQueen" feel. She does have the "Oldfield" feel. If she does choose to wear McQueen it could be a disaster because either the dress will wear her or the design will not have a McQueen look.

Of course these gowns are not suitable for a royal wedding, but if we look closer at numbers 9, 10 and 11, the shape of the gowns (as opposed to the material/pattern) could be suitable and shows that there are certain design elements from Alexander McQueen that would be more than acceptable. I especially like the collar/shoulder area of gown number 11 which is very regally structured.

I agree it should and likely will be traditional. It's not like Kate is getting an off the rack dress though. None of the gowns we find on the website will resemble her gown. Sarah Burton if she is the designer, will design something personally for Kate not from the line. The dress she did for Sarah Buy's was quite pretty. I just find as pretty as the more traditional gowns Burton has done are, there is such a huge separation between her couture and her more traditional. I think a designer like Oldfield has a far better balance.

I agree I was just giving examples of more classic looks... my opinion and I maybe wrong is that Kate will not go for a full bell skirt that is why I posted the two dresses I did... but I maybe wrong... I did not like sarah buy's dress ... I thought the bottom was not well thought out.. although some people did..

Concering the royal guests.

Until now we know that will be present:
Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik
King Harald V & Queen Sonja
Sheikha Mozah of Qatar
King Konstantinos II & Queen Anna-Maria of the Hellenes
Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel of Sweden
Prince Willem-Alexander & Princess Máxima of the Netherlands
Crown Prince Aleksandar & Crown Princess Katarina of Serbia
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece

Or am I missing someone?
Princess Jelizaveta of Serbia

Somehow I can't help but wonder if Prince Albert will be attending this wedding? And with who? Princess Caroline, or Charlene Wittstock? Maybe even Pierre? I think it might be interesting....

As for the dress I keep going in little circles. First I think the dress could set her fashion style in people's minds, perhaps erase those boots!

Then I think no she has no real strength of style and will do a copy of somebody's dress already in the royal family to play it safe (yuck :ohmy:). Or will she go frump Victorian up to her throat?

Then I think nobody can be that boring and she will shock people by being very edgy and even suddenly assert a very strong personality. Next I think we'll see strapless, pearl necklace, big skirt, tiara with a veil flowing out from behind it like all the US brides I see (ugh!).

Or, I wonder, will she go so freaking over the top with several feet of train with a "W" for William embroidered on it like Fergie with the "A" for Andrew, you know trying really hard to please and make a big impression? Then I do another lap around the circle! :bang: :lol:

I just really hope she doesn't do a nightgown type dress all flat and draggy as SWessex wore (did I hear right during that wedding coverage sort of dreamed up by Prince Edward? No, please!)

I think Princess Margaret's dress was an absolute dream, so pure, and simple, very beautiful. Yet Kate has no connection really to PM though, and that dress has already been paid homage to by Viscount Linley's wife, and sort of in Sarah Armstrong's dress too I think.

Diana's was that wrinkly, champagne sort of color, not my favorite, yet it became iconic for her.

Since they are saying Kate will be having to heave herself up from inside a car, I can't see how she could wear a slim fitting dress, though it is what I think she would wear if not for how formal the wedding is. So by process of elimination I guess we will actually see a beigey colored, full skirt dress, short train, with a corset tight type bodice to give her a small waist and manufacture hips, sleeves, and probably a scoop or sweetheart neckline, tiara and veil?

Don't know if she'll do the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Somehow I can't help but wonder if Prince Albert will be attending this wedding? And with who? Princess Caroline, or Charlene Wittstock? Maybe even Pierre? I think it might be interesting....

As for the dress I keep going in little circles. First I think the dress could set her fashion style in people's minds, perhaps erase those boots!

Then I think no she has no real strength of style and will do a copy of somebody's dress already in the royal family to play it safe (yuck :ohmy:). Or will she go frump Victorian up to her throat?

Then I think nobody can be that boring and she will shock people by being very edgy and even suddenly assert a very strong personality. Next I think we'll see strapless, pearl necklace, big skirt, tiara with a veil flowing out from behind it like all the US brides I see (ugh!).

Or, I wonder, will she go so freaking over the top with several feet of train with a "W" for William embroidered on it like Fergie with the "A" for Andrew, you know trying really hard to please and make a big impression? Then I do another lap around the circle! :bang: :lol:

I just really hope she doesn't do a nightgown type dress all flat and draggy as SWessex wore (did I hear right during that wedding coverage sort of dreamed up by Prince Edward? No, please!)

I think Princess Margaret's dress was an absolute dream, so pure, and simple, very beautiful. Yet Kate has no connection really to PM though, and that dress has already been paid homage to by Viscount Linley's wife, and sort of in Sarah Armstrong's dress too I think.

Diana's was that wrinkly, champagne sort of color, not my favorite, yet it became iconic for her.

Since they are saying Kate will be having to heave herself up from inside a car, I can't see how she could wear a slim fitting dress, though it is what I think she would wear if not for how formal the wedding is. So by process of elimination I guess we will actually see a beigey colored, full skirt dress, short train, with a corset tight type bodice to give her a small waist and manufacture hips, sleeves, and probably a scoop or sweetheart neckline, tiara and veil?

Don't know if she'll do the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Aah, such positivity! After all your dislikes there is little she is left with. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, Princess of Durham, I can't help it, I have a thing about the wedding "costumes" most women wear lately! ;)

This may seem a bit strange to some. Anybody recall, or have seen a photo of, that dreamy, lilac, shimmery dress Diana wore just when she found out she was pregnant with William? Well if it was me I would wear something like that (not a copy & in white) with delicate shimmer all through it.

Really I think people would be astounded because she usually wears harder, cleaner, heavier edged clothing, boots, etc. To me that would be quite a breathtaking "fairytale" choice, unexpected, and perhaps quite transforming.

Yeah, the more I think of it that would be really impressive to me... uh oh, I think I may be catching some of the "giddys" you guys have! :ohmy: :kiss:

Last edited:
stephanievl said:
Concering the royal guests.

Until now we know that will be present:
Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik
King Harald V & Queen Sonja
Sheikha Mozah of Qatar
King Konstantinos II & Queen Anna-Maria of the Hellenes
Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel of Sweden
Prince Willem-Alexander & Princess Máxima of the Netherlands
Crown Prince Aleksandar & Crown Princess Katarina of Serbia
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece

Or am I missing someone?
Princess Jelizaveta of Serbia

Have these all been officially confirmed? I only heard about the Serbian royal couple, Victoria&Daniel, Harald & Sonja. When have the other people been confirmed?

Sorry, Princess of Durham, I can't help it, I have a thing about the wedding "costumes" most women wear lately! ;)

This may seem a bit strange to some. Anybody recall, or have seen a photo of, that dreamy, lilac, shimmery dress Diana wore just when she found out she was pregnant with William? Well if it was me I would wear something like that (not a copy & in white) with delicate shimmer all through it.

Really I think people would be astounded because she usually wears harder, cleaner, heavier edged clothing, boots, etc. To me that would be quite a breathtaking "fairytale" choice, unexpected, and perhaps quite transforming.

Yeah, the more I think of it that would be really impressive to me... uh oh, I think I may be catching some of the "giddys" you guys have! :ohmy: :kiss:

Yes! I do remember that dress! She looked truly a princess in it. I agree--something along those lines would be amazing. :princess3:

Is there anything possitive you could say? I think the only non snark was about Princess Margrat, who honestly her dress was not that amazing. And beige? You think a royal bride is going to wear brown?

As for Prince Albert, why would he bring Pierre? You'd normally bring a female date. If he chooses not, if coming, to bring his fiance, Caroline is the obvious. She has served as the hostess princess role not only for her brother but since her mother died, even for her father. Kind of life Gerald Ford's daughter was acting first lady of sorts when her mother was having problems. I'd think since Charlene is his official fiance, if Albert is invited which I am not sure how close the Monaco royalty is to the British, we'd see her coming on his arm. If for some reason he chose to bring a male date for the wedding, I'd think he'd bring Andrea, his eldest nephew and after Caroline heir to the throne, until Albert and Charlene have kids.

Last edited:

Just because Sarah burton was his assistant for 14 years, does not make her Alexander McQueen. Just looking at her dresses so far, she doesn't hold a candle to her mentor's level.

The fact is Oldfield and McQueen can't really be compared. McQueen (as in Alexander and not his label) was meant to be the over the top, runway look, the high fashion couture almost no one could pull off in real life. That was the way he designed, it was intended to be so. That is why with both McQueen and now Burton there is such a separation between the runway show designs and the ready to wear line.

Oldfield on the other hand is a traditionalist. He believes couture can also be ready to wear. He doesn't see a need for two different lines, the ready to wear and the high fashion lines. What he sends down the runway people can actually wear. His beautiful incredible hand done designs have graced the bodies of royalty, politicians and celebrities alike. Have been worn to oscars, royal weddings and state events.

And again I doubt McQueen would be insulted to be compared to Oldfield as was insinuated, any more than Oldfield would be to be compared to Mcqueen. They are both incredible designers, whose talents have allowed them to be given the title of a courture designer.

Kate is not going to be in one of McQueen's over the top runway designs which are what put the McQueen label into another level of fashion. She will be in a more ready to wear design. And when you compare Burton's ready to wear (Sarah Buy's for example) to Bruce Oldfield's, there is no comparison. If this was a Hollywood oscars dress and Kate was some celebrity wanting to make a splash I agree, McQueen is likely the best choice. But for a royal wedding, Oldfield, definitely considering Kate's style.

I can see this subject is going to be testy up to the big day!!!

If she were to copy a previous BRF wedding gown I think she should look to Princess Anne in 1973 and Princess Alexandra in 1963

Good for them!

I pray William will be given the opportunity to reign. I have every confidence this man will be a wonderful King. A monarch who will undertake every measure to ensure he understands his people, far and wide, and to be actively involved as best he can, yet not compromise his position or the integrity of any indavidual or cause. He has heart and it shows.

He would be a King like no other. I'm sure of it.

And whatever people may say of his parents, they have created a very admirable, charming and genuine young man and both are to be commended on it.
Prayers well it has come to that wonderful spiritual level.
Just a thought but a William and Kate Fan club as a social group could be initiated here on the forum. They exist for other royals and it would only do them justice as you describe.
Alas!

Last edited:
Prayers well it has come to that wonderful spiritual level.
Just a thought but a William and Kate Fan club as a social group could be initiated here on the forum. They exist for other royals and it would only do them justice as you describe.
Alas!

Alas .......... you seem to find all this disturbing. It begs the question as to just why you bother to come here and be irritated.

If I had to bet, I would not put my money on McQueen, since I agree with you, Zonk! I suppose it is possible, since Burton did Buys' gown, which is certainly not over the top, but still Burton doesn't seem likely. I would probably bet on Oldfield or Lepley. But who knows???

Alas .......... you seem to find all this disturbing. It begs the question as to just why you bother to come here and be irritated.
I find none of this disturbing- since when do you write on my behalf?
Now you have assumed power of trustee to articulate what I think and write-when did I give U that Or are U you are a mentalist?
It does not beg any question but you do that yourself and then possibly and i qualify assume you speak for all .
You have assumed this; that I find all this disturbing.This is a defamatory statement..I come for the identical reasons you attempt to drive me off... even though I am being sincere. If U and Madame Royale have issues take them to the moderators.Do not write or opine on my behalf again. Many thanks

Last edited:
Is there anything possitive you could say? I think the only non snark was about Princess Margrat, who honestly her dress was not that amazing. And beige? You think a royal bride is going to wear brown?

As for Prince Albert, why would he bring Pierre? You'd normally bring a female date. If he chooses not, if coming, to bring his fiance, Caroline is the obvious. She has served as the hostess princess role not only for her brother but since her mother died, even for her father. Kind of life Gerald Ford's daughter was acting first lady of sorts when her mother was having problems. I'd think since Charlene is his official fiance, if Albert is invited which I am not sure how close the Monaco royalty is to the British, we'd see her coming on his arm. If for some reason he chose to bring a male date for the wedding, I'd think he'd bring Andrea, his eldest nephew and after Caroline heir to the throne, until Albert and Charlene have kids.

Ah, thanks, I haven't been spoken down to in a while on this forum I thought I was losing my touch! ;) (You did read my completely positive post after too right?) Kate seems to live to wear beige, which is not brown, and many wedding dresses come in light beige, champagne, etc. so yes I could certainly see it.

Margaret's dress was very striking to me, right for the era when she was married, and obviously her daughter, and daughter in law, thought so too to pay homage to it. It has remained very iconic, but obviously you don't have to like it. It was "not that amazing" to you, but there is nothing wrong with many others liking it, is there?

I mention Pierre because it seems Prince Albert has taken him as a bit of a right hand man/under his wing, bringing him alone to many functions (it seems Andrea doesn't have the interest in ruling from what I have read). Pierre has become a very handsome young man which doesn't hurt. :) Of course I also suggested Caroline, and CW (who in a radio interview said if "they" couldn't attend they would send someone else in their place.), so just wondering.

Yet this thread is more about dress, wedding suggestions, than the guest list. So I explained how I go in circles about the dress possibilities and get hopeful, then discouraged. It's not "snark", it's discussion, and it is supposed to be fun, right?

Whoever designs Kate's dress I imagine it would not be anywhere near "ready to wear", but a one off custom design done just for her.

Thank you Dymphna! :) I would definitely like something like that, it would be unexpected, and would have the wow factor, as well as being quite ethereal. Especially if she wore her hair back from her face a little, up, perhaps, or flowing long while letting some of the natural curl I hear Kate has in her hair show. Plus I really hope someone softens her makeup for the wedding day. :flowers:

If she were to copy a previous BRF wedding gown I think she should look to Princess Anne in 1973 and Princess Alexandra in 1963

Hm, that's interesting I never saw Princess Alexandra of Kent's wedding dress before but you got my curiosity going and I searched out the photos. From what I see she had a satin? strapless type dress underneath a covering of lace. It was quite pretty, covers her arms, etc. for a traditional "church wedding" look while not being frumpy. Very interesting idea. :flowers:

Let's try a little empathy, shall we?!

In the end she won't be able to please everybody and no ones opinion is of a higher value than someone else's.

Some people are already judging Kate's wedding dress even though we don't know who will design it or how it'll look.

Ah, thanks, I haven't been spoken down to in a while on this forum I thought I was losing my touch! ;) (You did read my completely positive post after too right?) Kate seems to live to wear beige, which is not brown, and many wedding dresses come in light beige, champagne, etc. so yes I could certainly see it.

Margaret's dress was very striking to me, right for the era when she was married, and obviously her daughter, and daughter in law, thought so too to pay homage to it. It has remained very iconic, but obviously you don't have to like it. It was "not that amazing" to you, but there is nothing wrong with many others liking it, is there?

I mention Pierre because it seems Prince Albert has taken him as a bit of a right hand man/under his wing, bringing him alone to many functions (it seems Andrea doesn't have the interest in ruling from what I have read). Pierre has become a very handsome young man which doesn't hurt. :) Of course I also suggested Caroline, and CW (who in a radio interview said if "they" couldn't attend they would send someone else in their place.), so just wondering.

Yet this thread is more about dress, wedding suggestions, than the guest list. So I explained how I go in circles about the dress possibilities and get hopeful, then discouraged. It's not "snark", it's discussion, and it is supposed to be fun, right?

Whoever designs Kate's dress I imagine it would not be anywhere near "ready to wear", but a one off custom design done just for her.

Thank you Dymphna! :) I would definitely like something like that, it would be unexpected, and would have the wow factor, as well as being quite ethereal. Especially if she wore her hair back from her face a little, up, perhaps, or flowing long while letting some of the natural curl I hear Kate has in her hair show. Plus I really hope someone softens her makeup for the wedding day. :flowers:

Beige is actually a shade of brown, an artist, designer or painter would tell you that. There is a definite difference between beige and chamapgne. Even if Kate tends to wear the color, I'd stand to think she'd wear white, the whole virginal bride image usually portrayed by royal princesses. We all know she obviously isn't, but married in such a church, I'd be shocked if she was not in white, or at the very least ivory. I didn't say ready to wear, but you are also not going to see her in some over the top Lady Gaga dress like McQueen sends down the runway. Couture can be extremely exquisite but not over the top, Burton just doesn't seem to have a balance between them. There is either the over the top costumes we see on the runway, or the much more plain gown worn by Sarah Buys.

Margrat's daughter and daughter in law's dresses looked very remotely like hers, way far more modern. And since Kate has no connection to her, I'd not see why she would be influence by it.

And if Prince Albert doesn't attend, I'd assume he'd send Caroline in his place. When a head of state doesn't attend when invited, it usually seems to be the heir, like Victoria and Daniel attending. Perhaps she will be accompanied by one of her sons. I'd not be surprised if Piere accompanied his mother, if his Uncle and Charlene didn't attend. But if Albert is going, it would be common practice to be escorted by someone of the opposite sex, unless gay I guess. I don't know if there is any outwardly gay royal/noble out there, correct me if I'm wrong, other than an Indian prince I remember on Oprah.

And yes I read your possitive post later on, but that doesn't erase the negativity of the one I responded to. And I believe I was not the only one who commented on it.

Last edited:
Ah, the shades that lie in between beige and bright white!

Champagne, oyster, pearl, eggshell, bisque, porcelain, cream, vanille...

Princess Grace's dress..is not bright white or even pure white. And it is lovely and perfect for a princess.

Those who are about to be princesses should, above all, remember that they should follow their own desires - and I trust Kate to choose something whitey-like but not blinding. (Although if it is bright white, those Burton dresses come into play in an interesting way - many of those dresses make the best of fabric and construction in the white domain, like swans do).

I'm guessing that if it is Burton, it will be white (but not blinding). There will be folds and shirring and such, so that the overall affect is not one big blob of whiteness.

Any photo of this dress so the rest of us know what you are speaking of?

Ah, the shades that lie in between beige and bright white!

Champagne, oyster, pearl, eggshell, bisque, porcelain, cream, vanille...

Princess Grace's dress..is not bright white or even pure white. And it is lovely and perfect for a princess.

Those who are about to be princesses should, above all, remember that they should follow their own desires - and I trust Kate to choose something whitey-like but not blinding. (Although if it is bright white, those Burton dresses come into play in an interesting way - many of those dresses make the best of fabric and construction in the white domain, like swans do).

I'm guessing that if it is Burton, it will be white (but not blinding). There will be folds and shirring and such, so that the overall affect is not one big blob of whiteness.

I'm not sayint it has to be a blob of white, but most of the shades you mentioned above are definitely not beige either? Ivory, pearl, perhaps egg shell, are off white, they are not tones of brown. Princess Grace also was extremely blonde, and pale complexion. Snow white does not suit someone so pale, a lot of brides with pale complexions go with a different shade. Kate on the other hand has darker hair and complexion,snow white or something similar like egg shell or another off white would look better on her than someone with a fairer complexion who'd get washed out.

And if it is Sarah Burton I don't expect to see one of her sci fi walking swan costume. It will be more like Sarah Buys or one of the other wedding gowns she has designed. Kate has never take any serious risks in fashion, and I don't seee her taking thm on her wedding day.

Last edited:
I have no idea at what point people begin to assign something to "beige." In my view, no one in their right mind would wear a beige wedding dress at age 29 and with Kate's situation. Yes, beige is closer to brown than the other off-whites, but still, very close rtto white.

Cappuccino color would be preferably to beige, but of the same hue.

I agree that if Burton is the designer, it won't be one of the star wars creations. Could be cappuccino though, who knows? (Would look lovely too on Kate, as would a crisp linen white).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom