Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions- on the invite what's the KG stand for after William's name? Also is it possible the media mean their media 'invites'? I imagine they would have some media in the church to write in it....

The KG is to signify that he's a Knight of the Garter. I don't know about the media invites though.

Edit: Haha, 3 answers! :lol:

Please don't laugh at me, but....

I suppose there's no chance he would wear his KG robes?

rossop7 said:
The KG is to signify that he's a Knight of the Garter. I don't know about the media invites though.

Edit: Haha, 3 answers! :lol:

Thank you 3 is good.... Follow up, what is the role of a Knight of the Garter? Does it mean he is a knight like Paul McCartney? Sorry I don't know much about this stuff..... If yes does that mean he is Sir Prince William? :) lol

I didn't know they had been included in the attendants list?
But yes, I was asking if anyone thought they'd be invited.

I don't like the argument "Sarah is their cousins mother" and Camilla's family is their "real" family. Sarah was Williams aunt for 14 years and Harrys for 11. I am surprised by her absence.

I don't know what more needs to be explained. Sarah has not been part of William's life since before Diana's death. She herself has stated this. they have no relationship.

Excerpt from interview: Duchess of York: Diana, the Queen & I - Sarah Ferguson - Harper's BAZAAR

But that was not to be — a loss that also affected the duchess's relationship with Prince William and Prince Harry, with whom she's had no contact "since Diana and I quit speaking. I'd like to — we had lovely times together — but I don't want either thinking that I'm trading on my friendship with them, pushing myself on them, though I'll always stand by the boys 100 percent. They've grown up exceptionally well — leaders, role models — but then Charles is a great man and Camilla is fabulous. I've known her my entire life because she and my mother [killed in a 1998 car wreck] were always best friends, and she was so nice to me. I love her" — an affection that apparently caused no problems with Diana. "Actually, I didn't see much of Camilla then," she says.

Thank you 3 is good.... Follow up, what is the role of a Knight of the Garter? Does it mean he is a knight like Paul McCartney? Sorry I don't know much about this stuff..... If yes does that mean he is Sir Prince William? :) lol

Not sure I can explain it very well but it's the highest (and I think the oldest) honour in the British honours system (it's higher than the ordinary knighthood, which is what Paul McCartney has). It's the only one that the Queen decides who receives it - all other honours are suggested & decided upon by the government at the time & the Queen pretty much just has to go along with whoever they choose each year while this one she decides who gets it & the government have no say in it - plus there is only a certain number allowed at any one time, 24 I think. Not sure what a Knight of the Garter title before their name is but I know it's not Sir...might just be Knight.

Here's the wiki page as just realised that'll probably help more & not veer this thread way off topic ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter

Last edited:
When it comes to appointing members of her own family to Orders the Goverment of the day don't usually care too much but they do have influence over other appointments. The only Order the Monarch as sole control over is the Royal Victorian Order and that is because it is awarded to those who have personally served the Monarch so by it's very nature it is of no concern to any outside body.

No. Paul McCartney is not a knight in the same manner of William as a Knight of the Garter. Knight of the Garter and Knight Commander of the British Empire are two different orders/distinctions.

About 50 members of the British royal family have been invited -- although it emerged this weekend that the Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, is not among them -- in addition to 40 members of foreign royal families.

A further 80 guests will be drawn from Prince William's charities, which include homelessness charity Centrepoint, the Tusk Trust conservation charity and the Royal Marsden Hospital, where his late mother Diana was also a patron.
Then there will be 200 members of government, parliament and the diplomatic corps, as well as 60 governors-general and prime ministers from Commonwealth countries, and 30 members of the British military.

Intresting guest list to say the least... Cant wait to see my Govenor General, Quinten Bryce who is a great leady, I have met her on several occosions!

I didn't post this bit about the armed forces earlier: The Press Association: Royal wedding to host 2,000 guests
William's charities will be represented by 80 people and 30 members of the defence services have been invited - a number expected to include the heads of the three Armed Forces.

Or Church: BBC News - Royal wedding: Couple invite 1,900 guests
The guest list also includes 30 members of the armed forces as well as representatives from the Church and other faiths.

Other people Hugh Vickers expects (his opinion): Check the mailbox: Royal wedding invites posted
Vickers said many European royals likely to attend are closer in age to William, second in line to the throne, than his father Charles - suggesting the guest list may have a more youthful feel than royal weddings of the past.

"You need to remember all the people who've worked with and helped you over the years - from the kindergarten teachers, to the person who taught you to swim ... I think we'll see some of those people included," he said.

BP and CH have seen an increase in mail. lol. :) Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: A record post bag for Wills and Kate

Last edited:
I don't think so.

Philip Treacy has done some amazing hat's for the RF. Nice addition to the big day :)

But when would she wear a hat? I'd think she's going to wear a veil and tiara. Maybe its for an event prior to the wedding day.

:previous::previous: She might wear a hat as she leaves for her honeymoon. Diana did...Sarah did not...can't recall Sophie.

So will some people get 3 invitations - the one we've seen to the service, then one, again from the Queen, to the luncheon for 600, and then one from Prince Charles to the dinner for 300?
The american National Enquirer gossip rag had a blip about Camilla "Enraging future princess Kate Middleton again, meddling old Camilla Parker-Bowles - who keeps trying to muck up Kate and Prince William's wedding - triggered a major mutiny when she and hubby..." the snippet goes on to say that Camilla was allowed to invite whomever she wanted to the dinner whereas Kate was limited to just a few friends, Kate "pitched a scary hissy," William 'locked horns' with his father and now Kate can invite whomever she wants. Doubt that a word of it is true, but the american press seems to love to hate Camilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
How very exciting all this is. Beautiful for Ms. Middleton that her day is to arrive where she will live happily ever after with her King to be. It is a dream if not a fairytale in the making. I have visited here so often prior to the wedding announcement and it seemed the writers were casting their own approve or not of the person they were casting a spell. Sometimes I disagreed wholeheartedly with the portrayal of this beacon of perfection who we knew as Kate and now as Cathleen the Queen. But I saw and witness otherwise. It's a happy day for me to realize she is getting that much closer to her Will. I have dreamt of this day and worship the desire of Will and Cate to live for the benefit of all. The actuality is to get closer and in time we will see their demonstration. I'm just so happy we're getting to see all this. It is love I imagine and it is wow. Sorry but I haven't posted in time for my reasons so I just felt I wanted to say this. And I hope Sarah will be there. Somehow it feels like she is their family. We will wait and see if in actuality the Duchess will go. Man I get shivers as this time flies. Very good. Ok I had to say that. Cheers.

So of course morning dress means that ladies will be in in dresses with hats...as opposed to tiaras.

rossop7 said:
Not sure I can explain it very well but it's the highest (and I think the oldest) honour in the British honours system (it's higher than the ordinary knighthood, which is what Paul McCartney has). It's the only one that the Queen decides who receives it - all other honours are suggested & decided upon by the government at the time & the Queen pretty much just has to go along with whoever they choose each year while this one she decides who gets it & the government have no say in it - plus there is only a certain number allowed at any one time, 24 I think. Not sure what a Knight of the Garter title before their name is but I know it's not Sir...might just be Knight.

Here's the wiki page as just realised that'll probably help more & not veer this thread way off topic ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter

Oh thank you for explaining- I get it.... Back to topic :)

christinacg said:
But when would she wear a hat? I'd think she's going to wear a veil and tiara. Maybe its for an event prior to the wedding day.

Article says hats for ladies of wedding party and older members of family like Kates mom- it says she may do a hat at the party PC is hosting for them

Also says lady guests required to wear hat to church service so no tiaras except Kate probably but hats.....so it's something!

Queen Penelope said:
Sophie was 34 when she married Edward, Sarah was 26 when she married Andrew and I believe Diana was barely 20 when she married Charles. Not the oldest, but not the youngest! :)

Camilla was older too :) .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom