Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Gates ........... gets plenty of money and expensive gifts aside from his billions, and doesn't really do anything for the U.S......

Have you ever heard of the Gates Foundation?

I can't quite imagine that an entire type of government would be overthrown because they got an expensive gift.
No, of course not. But the British RF only retains its position because the British people will it to be so. The RF does not govern Britain, the people do, through their elected representatives which make up the parliament.

I'm merely saying that there will be people in the UK who won't like it, and if enough members of the public don't like what the RF does, their position will be at risk. In 2009 an independent poll commissioned by the BBC revealed that almost 20% of Britains favoured doing away with the monarchy, and other polls have put the percentage much higher. There are many valid arguments against the monarchy, but this is not the place to state them.

Britain is certainly not going to become a republic over this wedding gift, but it epitomises the wealth and privilege enjoyed by the RF, and that is indeed a valid issue. This upcoming wedding will draw attention to such issues and the republicans will be taking advantage of it to promote their message. Republic | Royal wedding

No, of course not. But the British RF only retains its position because the British people will it to be so. The RF does not govern Britain, the people do, through their elected representatives which make up the parliament.

I'm merely saying that there will be people in the UK who won't like it, and if enough members of the public don't like what the RF does, their position will be at risk. In 2009 an independent poll commissioned by the BBC revealed that almost 20% of Britains favoured doing away with the monarchy, and other polls have put the percentage much higher. There are many valid arguments against the monarchy, but this is not the place to state them.

Britain is certainly not going to become a republic over this wedding gift, but it epitomises the wealth and privilege enjoyed by the RF, and that is indeed a valid issue. This upcoming wedding will draw attention to such issues and the republicans will be taking advantage of it to promote their message. Republic | Royal wedding

As they would do with anything regarding the monarchy if that is the mindset. There is nothing Kate and William can do about it and it shouldn't be put on them on their wedding day. As I said before, they have no control over what people choose to give them as gifts just as they have no control over those that resent the fact that they are getting them.

She could always divid the diamonds into matching colors and put them with regular white diamonds and end up with different colored jewelry and such for different occasions. With that many high quality diamonds, the sky is the limit for what she could do with it ;)

British Airways plot strike on Royal Wedding | The Sun |News

Not only are the tube workers threatening strike action to disrupt the wedding so are the BA workers (which would also affect incoming tourists).

This is all part of ongoing campaigns from the union movement in response to the economic situation and the way the government is dealing with them - the recent student riots are part of the same problem - reaction to the government dealing with the legacy of the Labour government.

Princess of Durham said:
So ... if it's true, should they refuse the gift?

Well I think they should at least add them to the guest list.

Exactly. Diplomacy is part of this as well. It's not just two rich young people getting married. It's the future king and his future queen consort. If they refused the gift, the UK's Middle-Eastern allies would be hugely offended. I don't remember there being a big hew-and-cry when Diana received all those Middle-Eastern jewels. The comments were all about how beautifully she wore them.

If anyone is going to be that petty and irrational over wedding gifts, then there is nothing that is going to please them. Kate and William have no control over what gifts they will receive and what they do with them after they receive them will be up to them.

Exactly. Diplomacy is part of this as well. It's not just two rich young people getting married. It's the future king and his future queen consort. If they refused the gift, the UK's Middle-Eastern allies would be hugely offended. I don't remember there being a big hew-and-cry when Diana received all those Middle-Eastern jewels. The comments were all about how beautifully she wore them.

That was 30 years ago and the world has moved on. Ostentatious displays of wealth, by the royals simply emphasises to the people the differences between them, particularly in times of crisis for the country and the world.

Add to this that Britain is still engaged in a war in the Middle East and it tends to be people from Middle Eastern backgrounds who carry out the terrorist attacks (even if they are home-grown terrorists) it could be seen as accepting gifts from people with whom the country has major problems. Are the royals being bought off to stop them asking pertinent questions about foreign policy, immigration, the war etc???? I am not saying they are but that is a perception and interpretation that anti-royals could ask.

Last edited:
All I can is WOW ... Those are some amazing jewels! Lucky Kate!

That collection is simply beautiful! I really can't see Kate wearing a lot of glitter or big stones though until she gets older. She's got the kind of natural beauty that smaller stones seem to enhance. It would be nice to have a rainbow tiara made from all of those stones to add to the royal collection such as some tiaras were made for the Queen Mum, Queen Mary and Queen Victoria etc.. something to be passed on.

That was 30 years ago and the world has moved on. Ostentatious displays of wealth, by the royals simply emphasises to the people the differences between them, particularly in times of crisis for the country and the world.

Add to this that Britain is still engaged in a war in the Middle East and that it tends to be people from Middle Eastern backgrounds who carry out the terrorist attacks (even if they are home-grown terrorists) it could be seen as accepting gifts from people with whom the country has major problems. Are the royals being bought off to stop them asking pertinent questions about foreign policy, immigration, the war etc???? I am not saying they are but that is a perception and interpretation that anti-royals could ask.

Perhaps the idea is to stress that the terrorist that are doing these attacks, wherever they are from, are not to be identified with the nation in itself and its policies. Andrew is still very much involved with trade relations in that area and to be honest, the more open communication there is, the better things will be. The Middle East has been known for its fabulous gifts of gems and such so why should things be different now with William and Kate? Saying such a gift is a "badge of honor" tells me that they value the relations with the UK and its royal family as it has been for centuries.

Lucky Kate, I'm not surprised that they are going to give her a gift.

Camilla didn't refuse her gift, why should Kate?

Royal wedding: Pubs to open until 1am two days in a row to celebrate | Mail Online

I sympathize with the UK's economic situation, just as I sympathize with ours (US), however William and Kate are not responsible for pensions being reduced, university student tuition's raised or a system that necessitates wait lists for medical services. Every Royal bride has received obscenely expensive gifts, and Kate should be no different. It's petty and ridiculous to put the entire country's problems on William and Kate's young shoulders for their special day by expecting them to refuse expensive gifts, not to mention it would be considered an insult of major proportions to do so.

As the article states, the owner was originally approached for the purchase of them for Prince Charles' and Diana's wedding, however it was unsuccessful due to the owner not wanting to part with them at that time. He now is ready to sell them, but only if they are given to Prince William and Kate as a gift for their wedding. It's an odd stipulation if you ask me, but that is the alleged conditions.

The bottom line is if the original purchase had been successful, these jewels would be part of William and Harry's inheritance from Diana anyway.

I absolutely agree with you ... unfortunately I did not make it clear that my comment about refusing the gift was sarcasm. It really is a bit ridiculous to place all the woes or agendas of various people on the backs of William and Kate. It really is getting very petty.

The Gates Foundation did not come into being until many, many years after BG made his millions AND was already under much criticism for his lack of attentiveness to charity. However, it IS nice that he and his wife finally saw fit to establish a foundation.

But certainly, there are always jealous and complaining people no matter the situation. I am curious if indeed taxes must be paid on wedding gifts in the UK, is that truly the case?

I absolutely agree with you ... unfortunately I did not make it clear that my comment about refusing the gift was sarcasm. It really is a bit ridiculous to place all the woes or agendas of various people on the backs of William and Kate. It really is getting very petty.

I'm sure that any gift that William and Kate do receive for their wedding will be acknowledged gracefully by their PAs and really have nothing to do with the couple themselves. With the amount of gifts and mails and gods know whats they're going to get over the next couple months, they definitely are going to have staff to handle it. Their aim right now I think is to get married and get back to Wales and shop at Tesco. :)

I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes. Probably a swarm of locusts is waiting in the wings. It is deemed "good" she is traveling to her wedding by car (albeit a Rolls Royce) but now more do-gooders are muttering about how she should eschew any idea of a tiara as too "Rich", shorten her train (if indeed she has one planned) and refuse or return gifts if they don't come from Tesco's or Target or some other such "normal" retail outlet. I wait with bated breath for the suggestion that she nip down and grab a rental wedding dress off the rack!

The worst thing about all of this is it seems to come from a small (and narrow minded) disaffected upper middle class who I suspect are enjoying the column space their pontificating is consuming but who would never lower themselves to inflict the same austerity on their own daughters or sons.

Contrary to some sniping, the Queen's own wedding, in a time of tremendous austerity in post war Britain and the Commonwealth was a joyous occasion shared vicariously by millions. As was that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a time of deep recession. Contrary to the joyless gits in our midst, the masses did not rise up and overthrow the Monarchy nor, which I suspect is more to the point, did they lay waste to the middle classes, burning their houses and stealing their cars, such was their hate and envy.

I suspect that much the same will happen when William and Catherine tie the knot. A spontaneous outpouring of happiness and a fair amount of good will not to mention bonhomie. Saints preserve us . . . . the barbarians are at the gate!

Last edited:
I remember Prince Edward saying years ago that the British were down on people who made a success of themselves. This is definitely the feeling that I'm getting from various sources, particularly the posts in response to articles and videos online. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw a post comparing Kate to excrement. I haven't gone back to see whether it was removed, but I hope that the editorial staff won't put up with those sorts of remarks. This wedding is certainly bringing out the "haters.":bang:

I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes.

I'm sure that any gift that William and Kate do receive for their wedding will be acknowledged gracefully by their PAs and really have nothing to do with the couple themselves. With the amount of gifts and mails and gods know whats they're going to get over the next couple months, they definitely are going to have staff to handle it. Their aim right now I think is to get married and get back to Wales and shop at Tesco. :)

I would think that a gift of rare jewels valued at 60 million pounds might score a personal thank-you note. I rather think that a letter from a servant might be taken to be an insult.

I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes. Probably a swarm of locusts is waiting in the wings. It is deemed "good" she is traveling to her wedding by car (albeit a Rolls Royce) but now more do-gooders are muttering about how she should eschew any idea of a tiara as too "Rich", shorten her train (if indeed she has one planned) and refuse or return gifts if they don't come from Tesco's or Target or some other such "normal" retail outlet. I wait with bated breath for the suggestion that she nip down and grab a rental wedding dress off the rack!

The worst thing about all of this is it seems to come from a small (and narrow minded) disaffected upper middle class who I suspect are enjoying the column space their pontificating is consuming but who would never lower themselves to inflict the same austerity on their own daughters or sons.

Contrary to some sniping, the Queen's own wedding, in a time of tremendous austerity in post war Britain and the Commonwealth was a joyous occasion shared vicariously by millions. As was that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a time of deep recession. Contrary to the joyless gits in our midst, the masses did not rise up and overthrow the Monarchy nor, which I suspect is more to the point, did they lay waste to the middle classes, burning their houses and stealing their cars, such was their hate and envy.

I suspect that much the same will happen when William and Catherine tie the knot. A spontaneous outpouring of happiness and a fair amount of good will not to mention bonhomie. Saints preserve us . . . . the barbarians are at the gate!

May I ask how you know the snipers are from the 'upper middle class'?

The fact that both the Queen and Charles' wedding were greeted with joy and acclaim also reflects the fact that the Royal Family were regarded with affection and esteem but in the last 30 years the Queen has had three of her children's marriages fail, two ex-daughters-in-law bring disrepute for various actions by themselves to the family, phone taps revealing that the family have some unsavoury conversations, grandchildren who don't seem to have learnt much history or take advantage of the public etc etc etc. In other words the RF as such aren't held in as high esteen today and people see them as fair game - a situation that didn't exist before tell all stories by members of the family for whatever reason.

I would think that a gift of rare jewels valued at 60 million pounds might score a personal thank-you note. I rather think that a letter from a servant might be taken to be an insult.

That's what PAs are for. While William in on station I'm sure that Kate will personally respond for the both of them for gifts. That's why they have PAs.
If there's one thing that been installed and followed by all royal brides, its the courtesy of saying thank you. Both Diana and Sarah are noted for doing that. I just don't think that a 60m gift will mean that much to William and Kate but they will realize the implications of such a gift.

I agree with what a lot of what you are saying. There is a fair amount of meanness and possibly double standards in a lot of the frankly, IMO, unfair criticism that is being bandied about the forums at the moment.

In time, a selection of the gifts received will be put on public display, just as those that HM received are.

That's what PAs are for. While William in on station I'm sure that Kate will personally respond for the both of them for gifts. That's why they have PAs.

I'm not sure what you mean about the thank you notes. Do you mean that Kate will personally respond, by having an assistant write a letter which that assistant will sign, or that she and William will have an assistant type a letter for them which Kate will sign. In other words, will it be "Their Royal Highnesses have asked me to acknowledge their thanks..." or "Prince William and I acknowledge with thanks..."?

I just don't think that a 60m gift will mean that much to William and Kate but they will realize the implications of such a gift.

I really hope that a 60 million pound gift means something to William and Kate. I will be surprised if they receive many gifts of that value, and I am sure they will realize the implications of it.

:previous: Until or unless Prince William is made Duke of ? they really don't have much choice but I think it a fair bet that she will only be Princess Catherine in the Mail after the wedding. I should imagine their editors would rather eat dirt than call her Princess William! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure what you mean about the thank you notes. Do you mean that Kate will personally respond, by having an assistant write a letter which that assistant will sign, or that she and William will have an assistant type a letter for them which Kate will sign. In other words, will it be "Their Royal Highnesses have asked me to acknowledge their thanks..." or "Prince William and I acknowledge with thanks..."

I have no clue how they'd actually acknowledge the gift but I'd assume that all of the gifts that they do receive will be sent a thank you. I just don't see either William or Kate's ears really perking up at a 60m gift. I'd think the both of them would look at each other.. grin and say "royal vaults"

I do think the couple would personally give thanks for the gift as that is part and parcel of what royal duties are. How they do it is anyone's guess. This is one area of the BRF that has stood out. the protocol of thank you notes. Diana did constantly. Sarah would send lavish gifts as a thank you. Its a part of of the old school that hasn't quite died yet.

Last edited:
Iluvbertie said:
May I ask how you know the snipers are from the 'upper middle class'?

The fact that both the Queen and Charles' wedding were greeted with joy and acclaim also reflects the fact that the Royal Family were regarded with affection and esteem but in the last 30 years the Queen has had three of her children's marriages fail, two ex-daughters-in-law bring disrepute for various actions by themselves to the family, phone taps revealing that the family have some unsavoury conversations, grandchildren who don't seem to have learnt much history or take advantage of the public etc etc etc. In other words the RF as such aren't held in as high esteen today and people see them as fair game - a situation that didn't exist before tell all stories by members of the family for whatever reason.

...and the government elected by the people has done a significantly better job over the same time period?

...and the government elected by the people has done a significantly better job over the same time period?

I thought the same thing! :ROFLMAO:

But, I feel that at least some of the criticism is directed at Kate personally, rather than the RF.

It's no secret she and Pippa were nicknamed "the wisteria sisters" (fast-climbing and ornamental). I believe there's considerable resentment in certain circles because William chose to marry her after all.

I think the wedding gifts of the sort like those £60million gemstones (& similar grand gifts) are almost like a gift to the country itself but given through the couple. Yes it's a wedding gift to William & Kate but due to their future positions I'm sure any gifts of that magnitude would be used during royal engagements, state visits etc where they are representing the UK, & when not in use I'm fairly sure for at least some of the time they'd be put on display somewhere for tourists, visitors etc to enjoy. So it's not like they get all these wonderful things given to them & they'd hide them away for themselves, I'd see it as more a gift to the nation but maybe I'm wrong in thinking that.

I have seen complaints that William is marrying a commoner, and that Royalty should only marry other Royalty, and if the trend of marrying commoners continues they become nothing but commoners.

I have seen complaints regarding William and Kate not wanting servants after they are married and living in the farmhouse in Wales. That this somehow translates into William not wanting to be Royal, so therefore should just walk away. The bone of contention is that they are expected to live like royalty....not commoners.

I have seen complaints about the money being spent for security even though the wedding and reception is being paid for by Prince Charles and the Queen. Some people don't want a shilling spent on any part of this wedding even though the security is necessary due to the general public lining the procession route to view the wedding.

I have seen complaints regarding this wedding not having the same pomp and pageantry that we have all become accustomed to for British Royal weddings.

And now....I see complaints regarding the expensive gifts that will be showered on the couple, and that showing ostentatious wealth in these economic times further separates Royalty from the common man?

My head is reeling from the contradictions and unreasonable expectations put on this family, and most particularly on William and Kate.

I thought the same thing! :ROFLMAO:

But, I feel that at least some of the criticism is directed at Kate personally, rather than the RF.

It's no secret she and Pippa were nicknamed "the wisteria sisters" (fast-climbing and ornamental). I believe there's considerable resentment in certain circles because William chose to marry her after all.

Any criticism of the "Wisteria sisters" will no doubt be stemming from jealousy more than anything else!

Excellent post! I totally agree. Why shouldn't they have a nice wedding? Doesn't everyone want a nice wedding? some people can be so narrow minded.
Did people really say she shouldn't have a long train or wear a tiara? HORRORS! If thats the case.

I have seen complaints that William is marrying a commoner, and that Royalty should only marry other Royalty, and if the trend of marrying commoners continues they become nothing but commoners.

I have seen complaints regarding William and Kate not wanting servants after they are married and living in the farmhouse in Wales. That this somehow translates into William not wanting to be Royal, so therefore should just walk away. The bone of contention is that they are expected to live like royalty....not commoners.

I have seen complaints about the money being spent for security even though the wedding and reception is being paid for by Prince Charles and the Queen. Some people don't want a shilling spent on any part of this wedding even though the security is necessary due to the general public lining the procession route to view the wedding.

I have seen complaints regarding this wedding not having the same pomp and pageantry that we have all become accustomed to for British Royal weddings.

And now....I see complaints regarding the expensive gifts that will be showered on the couple, and that showing ostentatious wealth in these economic times further separates Royalty from the common man?

My head is reeling from the contradictions and unreasonable expectations put on this family, and most particularly on William and Kate.

I agree totally, they can't win no matter what they do or don't do.

That said, for me personally, from what we've heard of the plans so far I'm perfectly fine with everything so far. There is enough pomp & pagaentry for my liking without going over the top or going excessive but it also isn't being pushed under the carpet & ignored. I feel for the current climate/situation they're doing a good job of organising this event & everything that's been announced so far has been pleasing to me so I'm just ignoring the naysayers & moaners! :D

Am just hoping it all works out well in the end & everything goes off without any problems. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom