Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, what a let down! British royal weddings were known for their pomp and circumstance, and the carriage procession played a huge part of that. Without the grand carriage processions, this becomes a wedding just like any other royal house could put together. I guess on the other hand they wanted to do this to not be so "showey" during these tough times.

While Kitty Spencer is a pretty girl and from what I can see (and read) loves the spotlight....the day will be about Kate and William. You will see some pics of her but that's about it.

And I think that William is going to make sure that his family (both Windsor and Spencer's ) are reflected in this wedding. Why must everything be a competition? I dont' see William making it an issue. Honestly, it seems like the public can't move on.

Ugh, what a let down! British royal weddings were known for their pomp and circumstance, and the carriage procession played a huge part of that. Without the grand carriage processions, this becomes a wedding just like any other royal house could put together. I guess on the other hand they wanted to do this to not be so "showey" during these tough times.

There's still going to be at least one carriage procession, according to the information released today:

"The couple, now married, will return along a Processional Route in a carriage procession to Buckingham Palace. The route will include Parliament Square, Whitehall, Horse Guards Parade and The Mall."

There's still going to be at least one carriage procession, according to the information released today:

"The couple, now married, will return along a Processional Route in a carriage procession to Buckingham Palace. The route will include Parliament Square, Whitehall, Horse Guards Parade and The Mall."

For some people, that just isn't enough. They want, expect, almost demand the pomp and pageantry that they have come to expect from British Royal Weddings.
Even the British have to take certain things into account and reconsider stuff.

It's been years since the last royal wedding that really mattered in case of being so near the throne and times have sufficiently changed. I suppose the decision of what to keep and what to axe is always difficult.

Luckily! I'm happy about that, I suspect it will be similar to Princess Alexandras then.:cool:

For some people, that just isn't enough. They want, expect, almost demand the pomp and pageantry that they have come to expect from British Royal Weddings.
Even the British have to take certain things into account and reconsider stuff.

I'm definitely one of those people! lol ;)

One more thing, I noticed the wedding will start at 11 as opposed to 11:30, I guess they'll both be having an early night!

As if the extra half hour would have helped :lol: I think they will be too nervous to sleep :lol:

Bugger, I just realized the wedding will be at a most inconvenient time for me! Shame about the glass carriage if you ask me, this is one of the few occasions it can be used!

It's all to do with our new-found "austerity" - a glass carriage would present the wrong message.

It's all to do with our new-found "austerity" - a glass carriage would present the wrong message.

Why would it present the wrong message?

Can it not just be that Kate doesn't want to arrive at her wedding in a carriage?

I've heard that they're thinking of allowing photos of the "arrivals" to the BP dinner.

That's what I was wondering too!
I don't see how using a car implies more austerity in bad economic times; it's not like they have to buy a special carriage, it's already available.

I hope they change their minds about this.

ghost_night554 said:
I've heard that they're thinking of allowing photos of the "arrivals" to the BP dinner.

Oh I hope so.....

If Kate chose to not arrive in the carriage then that's fine.

I completely agree. The glass coach is notoriously uncomfortable and feels out of character for the lower-key event that William and Kate say they want. Recent royal brides (Victoria, Mary, Letizia, Mathilde, Sophie etc.) have all arrived by car and I really don't see what the big deal is.

So many of Kate's choices will be dictated by protocol- let her have some of these smaller details be of her own choosing.

I completely agree. The glass coach is notoriously uncomfortable and feels out of character for the lower-key event that William and Kate say they want. Recent royal brides (Victoria, Mary, Letizia, Mathilde, Sophie etc.) have all arrived by car and I really don't see what the big deal is.

So many of Kate's choices will be dictated by protocol- let her have some of these smaller details be of her own choosing.

Why...would we let some details be of her own choosing...one would think she was the one getting married:ROFLMAO:

Ok so I'm hearing now that the fine details haven't been arranged yet but it could either be inside the palace our out in the Quadrangle. We'll have more details soon though from what I'm hearing. I'm also hearing we'll get more details in the morning. But I'm almost certain from my sources that we won't get pics from the party the most we'll get is arrivals whether that be the guests arriving inside BP or outside BP at the Quadrangle we have no idea yet but should very soon.

Last edited:
I admire her for deciding to arrive in a car. She is an upper middle class woman, not a princess or an aristocrat. I think she is proud of her family and suspect she thinks it is appropriate for her to travel to her wedding in a style befitting an upper middle class woman. After the service she will be a Royal Highness, the future Queen, and it will then be appropriate for her to travel with her husband in a style befitting her new Royal status.

Is the glass carriage ever used for any other events?

For clarification:
I myself asked Richard from Daily Express about the reception
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer:
@Kristinazzz9191 Again, I don't think they've worked out those details. It could be inside or out in the Quadrangle.
44 minutes ago

@Kristinazzz9191 Things may change but at the moment the best we can hope for is photographers inside the palace for arrivals.
1 hour ago
Another member asked:
LaDolceVita150:
@RoyalReporter the dinner & reception means that we won't get the type of access that Victoria of Sweden allowed?

@LaDolceVita150 All "private".
In response to "going away" photos:
@RoyalUniverse They won't be going away that night.

From DM: Talks about the details of the 2 receptions and the day in general.

Last edited:
Crazy thought (more like a pipe dream)... How close are the Spanish and British royal families? Any chance of Leonor being in the wedding? I adore her!

I've seen pictures of William next to King Juan Carlos and protocol dictates that he invite people of like status. So... ;)

Where will she start from? For Diana, it was quite a long carriage ride from Clarence House to St. Paul's. On and on this ride went as I recall... One tend to forget that these carriages are not as comfortable as a modern car and depending on the distance of the trip can make the bride quite uncomfortable. Especially if she is allergic to horses as Catherine is allegedly.
Will Catherine start from Kensington Palace? Or from a private home of friends?

Crazy thought (more like a pipe dream)... How close are the Spanish and British royal families? Any chance of Leonor being in the wedding? I adore her!

I've seen pictures of William next to King Juan Carlos and protocol dictates that he invite people of like status. So... ;)

William's grandfather Philip is a cousin of queen Sofia of Spain, so they are related. Charles and Diana spent a holiday at Mallorca with the Spanish Royals when William was a boy, so I guess he knows them well.

If William is to invite people of like status he will have a lot of children at the wedding - those who are 2nd in line e.g. Christian, Leonor etc.

I doubt if any foreign royal children will play a part at all but some heirs might be there.

Can it not just be that Kate doesn't want to arrive at her wedding in a carriage?

BBC royal correspondent Daniella Relph said the decision to have Miss Middleton travel to the ceremony by car rather than glass carriage was a real break with tradition.

This was Miss Middleton's idea, as she wanted to arrive at Westminster Abbey in a more low-key way and not have the "pomp and lavishness" that comes with arriving in a carriage, our correspondent added.

I suspect that this is the 'wrong message' (lavishness in tough economic times) that they do not want to send out and therefore chose a car instead of a carriage.
It's in the BBC article...

If William is to invite people of like status he will have a lot of children at the wedding - those who are 2nd in line e.g. Christian, Leonor etc.

I doubt if any foreign royal children will play a part at all but some heirs might be there.

Is there already something known about the guest list?

I fear that nearly no foreign royal persons (CP and CPss of the other European countries) will be there. The Windsors seem to have a strange relationship to other royal houses. They are not linked closely to the other royals. So nobody of them was at Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding. Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Harry were not at Victoria's wedding. William was hardly ever asked to be godparent of a royal baby. (He is only godfather of Constantine Alexios - as far as i know).

I also remember something about this holiday on Mallorca over 20 years ago - something about Diana flirting with Juan Carlos. The holiday ended in a bad atmosphere.

And William and Catherine want the wedding to be private. At least to the dinner and dancing in the evening the other royals are not invited. (Quote (announced yesterday): "The Prince of Wales will give a private dinner, followed by dancing, at Buckingham Palace in the evening, for the couple and their close friends and family.").

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering too!
I don't see how using a car implies more austerity in bad economic times; it's not like they have to buy a special carriage, it's already available.

I hope they change their minds about this.

I think it is because a car symbolizes practical use and swift transportation, where a carriage symbolizes glitter and a grand show. I think it is more about the display of symbolism than the actual use of whatever vehicle.

I don't think they'll change their minds about this and, for me, they don't have to.

Where will she start from? For Diana, it was quite a long carriage ride from Clarence House to St. Paul's. On and on this ride went as I recall... One tend to forget that these carriages are not as comfortable as a modern car and depending on the distance of the trip can make the bride quite uncomfortable. Especially if she is allergic to horses as Catherine is allegedly.
Will Catherine start from Kensington Palace? Or from a private home of friends?

Catherine and her father are leaving from BP, as are the Queen and the rest of the royals.
William and Harry plus two other supporters are leaving from St James'.

Is there already something known about the guest list?

I fear that nearly no foreign royal persons (CP and CPss of the other European countries) will be there. The Windsors seem to have a strange relationship to other royal houses. They are not linked closely to the other royals. So nobody of them was at Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding. Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Harry were not at Victoria's wedding. William was hardly ever asked to be godparent of a royal baby. (He is only godfather of Constantine Alexios - as far as i know).

I also remember something about this holiday on Mallorca over 20 years ago - something about Diana flirting with Juan Carlos. The holiday ended in a bad atmosphere.

And William and Catherine want the wedding to be private. At least to the dinner and dancing in the evening the other royals are not invited. (Quote (announced yesterday): "The Prince of Wales will give a private dinner, followed by dancing, at Buckingham Palace in the evening, for the couple and their close friends and family.").

The Earl and Countess of Wessex have represented the Queen at the royal weddings for the last couple of years.

In regards to Charles and Camilla's marriage to William and Kate's there really no need for comparison for a couple of reasons 1) this was Charle's 2nd marriage 2) at his 1st marriage there were tons of Royal families represented and 3) William is not the heir but the heir's heir.

So if any comparisons should be made it should be (and this is a VERY different time) it would be the wedding of George, Duke of York to Princess Mary of Teck. When George was the heir's heir (grandson of Queen Victoria and son of Prince Edward of Wales).

For the record, the following royals attended Charles and Camilla's blessing:
It certainly is NOT as grand and varied as Victoria of Sweden (or Frederik, Felipe or WA) but it was a blessing and not a wedding. So again another
  • HM The King of Bahrain
  • TM King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Yugoslavia
  • TRH Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands
  • Radu, Prince of Hohenzollern-Veringen and Princess Margarita of Romania
  • Prince Turki bin Faisal Al Saud and Princess Nouf bint Fahd bin Khalid Al Saud
  • Prince Bandar bin Sultan
reason why itsn't a valid comparison IMO.

There will be some royals there...I just wouldn't expect a lot of Kings and Queen's. With the exception of the exiled King of Greece who is William's godfather.

Face it folks, we are living in different times. Its not 1981, 1986 or even when Edward married. Things will not be done the same. But things were done different in 1981 than when the Queen married in 1947.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom