Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Which goes to show that the couple can't please everyone on THEIR wedding day.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if the couple used a carriage for both the arrival of the bride and the departure of the couple, I am sure we will get complaints about the extravagance of the occassion during these times of economic uncertainity.

A car makes perfect sense.

Catherine will enter the Abbey via a car procession as a commoner marrying the heir heir's.

And after the marriage, both the Duke and Duchess of Whatnot will leave in a carriage.

Indeed, exactly what I think. I was actually wondering how they were going to do the whole arrival to the church thing since if they had gone with her arriving in a carriage & having a full on procession to the church, I could easily see people being petty & getting uppity at a "commoner" being treated that way (let alone Kate who seems to have quite the following of vocal dislikers ready to pick on absolutely anything). I think rather like tiara wearing, you wait til you're actually married into the Royal Family (even if just by seconds/minutes) before getting all the fancy stuff like carriages, tiaras & Royal jewels etc.

Having a car to get her to the wedding is perfect as it's probably nicer for her as cars are what she's used to so won't cause any extra drama there on the day, probably safer & easier just doing 1 carriage ride (after the wedding) through London & to me it sort of is a symbol of her entering the church a commoner & leaving a full on senior member of the Royal Family. I like it. :flowers:

I think the car ride to the Abbey is perfectly fine for Catherine. The route seems along Whitehall and up The Mall seems fine too.

But since when has a Royal Wedding had the Bride arrive in a car? Could this be because of the attack of Prince Charles and Camilla?

I was looking forward to the glass coach like Diana and Sarah had..........

I believe it's because Catherine is allergic to horses.

I believe it's because Catherine is allergic to horses.

She is allergic to horses but since she will be using them on the way to the Palace, I think that is a non issue.

She is allergic to horses but since she will be using them on the way to the Palace, I think that is a non issue.

You're right! sorry :lol: I didn't see that part before.

:previous: That's okay:ROFLMAO:

I think the car is more fitting for a commoner and the carriage for a new royal. Plus, if Catherine has issues with horses...William will be with her when she is in the carriage:flowers:

:previous: That's okay:ROFLMAO:

I think the car is more fitting for a commoner and the carriage for a new royal. Plus, if Catherine has issues with horses...William will be with her when she is in the carriage:flowers:

yeah! I actually like this setting more!

also the car allows a better view of the bride. Which will be nice specially for those that will go there to see her.

I'm so disappointed! Anybody can arrive in a car!
I also wanted the glass coach. :sad:

Until she marries, Kate is an anybody?

Once inside the Palace, the Queen will give a reception for the couple and guests drawn from the congregation representing the couple's official and private lives.

So perhaps they will make more of a state affair than some have predicted.

With 2 receptions I can see them inviting other Royal Houses to the wedding as well as personal friends.

btw, what about the Honeymoon? April is not a very warm month, so I assume Australia would be a Good Call :)

Until she marries, Kate is an anybody?

Well, she is betrothed to the Heir Presumptive.
They used the glass coach for both Diana and Sarah Ferguson, and they were commoners too.

And the allergy shouldn't matter because the glass coach is enclosed.

How boring ... the GLASS COACH is what makes a Royal Wedding. A Car is not the same at all.

I suppose they will use the Open 1902 State Landau on the way back, but it is disappointing none the less about the Glass Coach.

Although the glass carriage is certainly more regal and perfect for a royal bride, it isn't practical due to security concerns. Kate will of course have security on the route, however if anyone had in their minds to harm her before she marries into the RF or disrupt the route to delay the wedding, she would be far better protected in a car than in a horse drawn carriage, and she would be able to get away much faster.

Once they are married everyone will expect to see them so the open carriage. I hope they have a car following in the procession in the event there are demonstrations since they will be rather vulnerable.

Yeah I am bit of disappointment Kate is not glass coach.. I wonder why no glass coach

Oh this is just as I thought - the use of cars (and rather lovely ones too) instead of carriages and then the Glass Carriage back to the Palace. It's a similar idea to almost all the other major royal weddings we have witnessed in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands and Spain and I am sure that the procession will be just as good. Princess Alexandra arrived at the Abbey by car and went back in the Glass carriage and her car had a glass roof so more could be seen, so I suspect the same car will be used. I like the idea of a proper dinner and dance for guests afterwards, so we may even be lucky enough to witness not only a balcony appearance in teh afternoon, but one in the evening too?!!!

They used the glass coach for both Diana and Sarah Ferguson, and they were commoners too.

Diana was from an aristocratic family...Lady Di, Earl Spencer & all that. Supposedly Sarah Ferguson also has some aristocratic links in her ancestry but she was pretty much a commoner in my mind, but back when she married it was, I think, a different time. You hadn't had the high profile divorces within the Royal family yet, there was a lot more respect paid to the whole idea of the Monarchy & all the pomp that went with it, people were probably less likely to moan about what everything was costing etc, just got carried away with it all whereas now everyone is more cynical, jaded, willing & able to moan about anything even if it isn't true.

Just different times altogether, I personally couldn't see it working if they used the carriage for Kate to arrive at the Church, leaving with William as his wife, perfect but not going to the Church when she'd still be Miss Catherine Middleton at that time.

Diana was marrying the heir, and Sarah was yes marrying a man who was in Williams position. But if Kate doesn't want to go in the glass coach then it's her choice.
It obviously has nothing to do with horses, as she's travelling back to the palace in a carriage.

I think it's a good thing that Catherine will travel to the Abbey by car and back to Buckingham Palace by coach.
These are modern times and I find it a symbolic gesture - the transformation from commoner to part of the Royal Family.

Of course some will be disappointed, but, as Zonk said, you can't please everyone.

Besides, the BBC says this about the choice for the car instead of the coach:
BBC royal correspondent Daniella Relph said the decision to have Miss Middleton travel to the ceremony by car rather than glass carriage was a real break with tradition.
She said Clarence House felt it was the right way "to strike an appropriate note" because the royal family did not want the day to appear too lavish.

And, of course, a contrasting opinion:
But Ingrid Seward, from Majesty magazine, told the BBC it was "a great shame" that the public would not get to see Miss Middleton en route to the abbey in a glass carriage as in previous royal weddings.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, that sounds really serious but I find it very nice.

Does anyone know how soon they will announce titles? (that is if they will be givin new titles at all) it is on the wedding day, before, or after?

so, what's the difference between a carriage and a coach ? is one open and the other one close?

Coach and carriage are the same thing are they not?

Does anyone know how soon they will announce titles? (that is if they will be givin new titles at all) it is on the wedding day, before, or after?

On the day presumably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom