Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I should imagine a total clash of style and substance between the BRF's security style for major Royal Events, and that preferred by the American Secret Service. And, let's face it, men with earpeices standing behind the American delegation! The notion of people running around the Abby with concealed weapons kid of takes the gilt off the gingerbread!!

If the security is good enough for the monarch of 16 indapendant sovereign states, and that of her family, by golly it's good enough for any visiting head of state or dignitary!

Ah... no. Obama won't be overshadowing anyone at the wedding if he is there. He would be a high profile guest of course but there is no way he will overshadow them. Nobody is obsessed with him in Europe like they seem to be in the States, and this is England so they won't let anyone overshadow the Royal Family.

Exactly. And thank you for pointing that out. His presence may be noted by the media if he attends, but so will any other important heads of State and Royalty that attend. It will hardly overshadow that of the groom and bride.

What happened to the "Special Relationship" between the US and the UK ??

I bet Michelle Obama will attend the Windsor Wedding.

I think the bottom line is....who cares? It's William and Kate's wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
What has she ever done personally to William and Harry?
Have her antics made the BRF loose popularity in anyway?
Sarah was once their aunt.

If my president doesn't want to attend, I volunteer to represent the USA in his place - he can just give me a call and I'd be happy to serve!

Not to put a dampener on this wedding, because it is about William and Catherine don't get me wrong. However it is still a public event.
I would think Barack will want to attend. All depends on the dates I guess.

If my president doesn't want to attend, I volunteer to represent the USA in his place - he can just give me a call and I'd be happy to serve!

Me too! Since Airforce One is owned by the taxpayers the least he could do is lend it to us for the trip. :lol:

Personally, I have no problem with Sarah, Duchess of York being invited to the royal wedding and attending, but it will obviously depend on whether or not she and William still have a string enough aunt/nephew bond - which is anyone's guess.

I am not sure whether her antics made the BRF loose popularity in any way, but they certainly did not encourage a boost in its popularity and indeed probably contributed in changing British society's view of them.

I think they can, yes. There's a lot more people involved in the planning of a royal wedding than say you or I's wedding, so there's more people to do all the tasks and get things done.

Unlimited money also helps!

I don't think there is any chance she'll wear a strapless either. Which is fine with me. If your going to get married in a church cover up.

ITA--not for an event like this. She needs to be elegant, and covered.

Personally, I am hoping that this event will be as UNlike Diana & Charles's wedding as possible. Probably in the minority here, but I found William's giving mama's ring to his fiancee to be just a little bit creepy--wouldn't she have preferred her own ring?

Looks like the venue is Westminster Abbey, which is traditional but non-Diana-ish.

I would like to see the royal family dig back in the vault and bring out a tiara for Kate which hasn't been seen in years and has no connection to Diana. Not only would it give a thrill those of us who rush to the TV to identify the brooches on HM's shoulder whenever she is featured, but it would underline that Kate is NOT Diana and shouldn't be expected to be.
The bow-knot tiara is lovely and appropriate, but Diana was photographed in it many times and IMO would have too many associations.

I can hardly wait for the date to be announced. My plan is to take some vacation time during that week so I can catch all the festivities leading up to it and enjoy the event itself live. I have 3 weeks to take by July, so I hope the chosen date will be April, May or June. Otherwise, I may not be able to....

Unlimited money also helps!

ITA--not for an event like this. She needs to be elegant, and covered.

The royals don't have "unlimited money".
Why can't she wear a strapless dress and not be elegant?

Whether or Sarah does or does not attend the wedding, would be based on any relationship she has with William. She didn't attend Peter's wedding. Also, I am not sure if the BRF would want her presence to overshadow that of the bride and groom.

Furthermore, just because people are divorced it doesnt mean that all bonds are broken. As my uncle said...your mother divorced your Dad...we didn't. And he was certainly invited to my cousins wedding. Of course, my Mom wasn't happy but it wasn't about her or her day.

Why can't she wear a strapless dress and not be elegant?

I suppose it has to do with personal opinion, and people who have the mentioned opinion think that a strapless dress is unsuitable for a church wedding. To most, or some and at least myself, strapless equals "easy, sexy, "Hollywood-ish" and in fashion". That is not what I and I think a lot of others want to see a church bride wearing.

Last edited:
I suppose it has to do with personal opinion, and people who have the mentioned opinion think that a strapless dress is unsuitable for a church wedding. To most, or some and at least myself, strapless equals "easy, sexy, "Hollywood-ish" and in fashion". That is not what I and I think a lot of others want to see a church bride wearing.

Yes. I watched a bride at a wedding recently repeatedly pulling up her strapless top while standing at the altar. She evidently didn't feel secure.

It's one thing to be fashionable, but really, there are lots of fashionable clothes which manage to have sleeves and modest necklines. Is Westminster Abbey the right place to show how sexy you are? Especially with 2 billion people around the world watching you?

Easy? If a woman is easy that means she's indiscriminate in her choice of sexual partners.

Yes, strapless dresses can be sexy, they are Hollywood and they are in fashion.....but the wearing of one doesn't make a woman "easy".

Compared to all of us, they do. The $27,000 "average" wedding budget in the U.S. is a drop in the bucket to what will be spent on this wedding.

Compared to all of us, they do. The $27,000 "average" wedding budget in the U.S. is a drop in the bucket to what will be spent on this wedding.

The royals do not have unlimited money. Which was your statement.
They are richer than us, but so is every President for every country, so is Bill Gates, so is Mark Zuckerberg.

Let's try to stay on topic of this thread.........which is not the overall wealth of the British Royal Family, Bill Gates, the Presidents of every major country, etc.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Easy? If a woman is easy that means she's indiscriminate in her choice of sexual partners.

Yes, strapless dresses can be sexy, they are Hollywood and they are in fashion.....but the wearing of one doesn't make a woman "easy".

You misread what I meant. Easy has more meanings than the one you mentioned and I meant it as in "convenient". Like pulling a dress that you already have in your closet. None too special, imo.

Last edited:

I can understand why people may view a strapless dress as not right for a church wedding, especially a royal wedding.
However abcdyxz said that she should be elegant and covered, I don't see why strapless dresses cannot be elegant as well.

Yes. I watched a bride at a wedding recently repeatedly pulling up her strapless top while standing at the altar. She evidently didn't feel secure.

It's one thing to be fashionable, but really, there are lots of fashionable clothes which manage to have sleeves and modest necklines. Is Westminster Abbey the right place to show how sexy you are? Especially with 2 billion people around the world watching you?

Well that dress was obviously not fitted to this brides body, Catherine isn't going to have some off the rack dress when she marries.
Why does a strapless dress mean someone is showing off how sexy or easy they are?

I can understand why people may view a strapless dress as not right for a church wedding, especially a royal wedding.
However abcdyxz said that she should be elegant and covered, I don't see why strapless dresses cannot be elegant as well.

It's a matter of opinion, and I was voicing mine. Is there something wrong with that?

No there is nothing wrong with that.

Time to move ON.

^^I think I would prefer if only Mrs. Obama goes to the wedding. I don't know why (I know William is 'important' and all) but it just seems so trivial for the President. Also, President Obama has a way of stealing the whole thunder, if you know what I mean. I like him but he's very overwhelming presence anywhere he goes. I can see the headlines:
President Obama attends wedding
Prince William wed Kate Middleton as President Obama looks on
:lol::ROFLMAO:

I completely agree...remember how the whole thing backfired disastously on the President when he charged overseas for the Olympics selection?? :bang:

He should send the First Lady to represent him and SIT THIS ONE OUT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nancy Reagan represented the US at the wedding of Charles and Diana, but Charles was heir to the throne and William is not. I don't know if Michelle Obama would go. The Bidens might go as the US representatives.

What has she ever done personally to William and Harry?
Have her antics made the BRF loose popularity in anyway?
Sarah was once their aunt.

I totally agree with you Lumutqueen. Obviously she has lost touch with the Princes since their Mother's death, but I'm sure William hasn't forgotten growing up they had many happy times and plenty of fun with Sarah. I can well imagine as a child Aunt Fergie would be a big fav.
I know they weren't speaking at the time of her death, but William might remember that for a number of years there probably wasn't anyone closer to Diana than Sarah. Since Diana's death Sarah has been respectful of her memory and hasn't betrayed and confidences, that is probably why they invited her to the concert they organised a few years ago.

What I really hope is that it is William and Kate's decision and that William isn't put under pressure from all sides not to invite Sarah. I am not being disrespectful to the Queen of the DoE but it is William and Kate's day. If William is happy to invite Sarah then what is the harm in her attending to wish them the very best for the future.
This might surprise some people but if she is invited I actually wouldn't be completely convinced that she would accept, she mightn't feel too comfortable attending after the last few months.

I totally agree with you Lumutqueen. Obviously she has lost touch with the Princes since their Mother's death, but I'm sure William hasn't forgotten growing up they had many happy times and plenty of fun with Sarah. I can well imagine as a child Aunt Fergie would be a big fav.
I know they weren't speaking at the time of her death, but William might remember that for a number of years there probably wasn't anyone closer to Diana than Sarah. Since Diana's death Sarah has been respectful of her memory and hasn't betrayed and confidences, that is probably why they invited her to the concert they organised a few years ago.

What I really hope is that it is William and Kate's decision and that William isn't put under pressure from all sides not to invite Sarah. I am not being disrespectful to the Queen of the DoE but it is William and Kate's day. If William is happy to invite Sarah then what is the harm in her attending to wish them the very best for the future.
This might surprise some people but if she is invited I actually wouldn't be completely convinced that she would accept, she mightn't feel too comfortable attending after the last few months.

I believe the question should be, would it be "appropriate" to invite Sarah? On one hand, yes it would since she is William's aunt by marriage and the Mother of his first cousins Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice. She was also his mother's friend. On the other hand she is also very controversial and has caused the Royal Family considerable embarassment with the various scandals that she has created throughout the years. As to whether it would be appropriate or not to attend.....If she has ever pondered whether something she does is appropriate or not, there is certainly no evidence of it.

I believe the question should be, would it be "appropriate" to invite Sarah? On one hand, yes it would since she is William's aunt by marriage and the Mother of his first cousins Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice. She was also his mother's friend. On the other hand she is also very controversial and has caused the Royal Family considerable embarassment with the various scandals that she has created throughout the years. As to whether it would be appropriate or not to attend.....If she has ever pondered whether something she does is appropriate or not, there is certainly no evidence of it.

Your right of course texankitcat. I only suggested that because it's been reported in the past that she has declined a few invitations, e.g. the concert the Princes orgainsed to mark Diana's birthday, the party hosted at Buckingham palace for Andrew's 50th birthday.

Your right of course texankitcat. I only suggested that because it's been reported in the past that she has declined a few invitations, e.g. the concert the Princes orgainsed to mark Diana's birthday, the party hosted at Buckingham palace for Andrew's 50th birthday.

Well if she declined those two events, then perhaps she IS finally getting it. One can only hope...

When it comes to Fergie my guess is that William will ask his uncle if its ok to invite her OR if he will bring her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom