Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article implied that Kate would choose a less-famous tiara, possibly one that hasn't made an appearance in many years.

It also mentioned that the loaner wouldn't necessarily be the one she was given after she was married.

I think the last marriage of a grandson of a reigning British Monarch was Victoria with George, Duke of York marrying Princess May of Teck.

I would agree that this is something that doesn't happen often. Though I would expect that a King William would see his grandchildren married. Due to the ages of the Queen and Charles and the estimated time frame when William will become King.

Technically speaking, the last marriage of a grandson of a reigning monarch was Peter marrying Autumn, wasn't it? Perhaps you're speaking of before this current generation?

Technically speaking, the last marriage of a grandson of a reigning monarch was Peter marrying Autumn, wasn't it? Perhaps you're speaking of before this current generation?

You are correct.:flowers: I was thinking of William (and George, Duke of York) from the heirs perspective. Basically the next King, and Peter is too far down for that.

Pardon me, perhaps this is relevant for another thread, but what does Catherine's wedding, attire, appetite, appearance, workout routine, travel destinations, work habits, colleagues, etc. have to do with Diana...if anything?

Hey I got a topic what should they do after their wedding to have a happy and long marriage as possible...case in point Anne, William's aunt, William's grandparent's, even Catherine's parents are a nice place to start...

Yvonne Yorke: Kate's Royal Wedding Look: The Dress, The Veil, The Tiara and More

According to this, the Queen had all the tiaras in the collection displayed in the ballroom, and invited Kate to select the one she wished to wear to the wedding.

Wouldn't it be better to choose the tiara to go with the dress, rather than the other way? (I would think Kate would want to invite her designer along!)

What does everyone think?

I agree that The Queen will have Catherine choose from a selection of jewels from her impressive collection, I severely doubt that she have all the jewels in the vaults displayed. We all know that there are several pieces that are closely linked with the Queen and she would not have those pieces available for Catherine to choose from. I think the setting for the jewel selection would most likely be in a more intimate space such as the queen's audience chamber rather than the grandeur of the largest room in the palace. None of us will really know, but what is describe in the article doesn't really seem like Elizabeth's style.

Thanks everyone for answering my question about the protocol of the invitations. I do understand the logic of the senior royal and who "owns" Buck House at the moment ... still a bit strange not to see someone's parents name on a wedding invitation. Oh, well ...

Pardon me, perhaps this is relevant for another thread, but what does Catherine's wedding, attire, appetite, appearance, workout routine, travel destinations, work habits, colleagues, etc. have to do with Diana...if anything?

You've got to be kidding. As much as I hate it, I also know it's a part of the times we live in that Kate's going to be compared to Diana from now until eternity. It's a sad reality, but I'm hoping once this first year is over and Kate shows us how she will fulfill her role as HRH Princess William of Wales, that will go down a notch.

Sadly, I also know that's probally wishful thinking too.

I think the tiara and jewellery (if any) will be picked out 1st and shown to the wedding gown designer.

I recalled watching an interview with Hanae Mori, who designed the white wedding dress for Princess Masako of Japan in 1993. She mentioned that Masako put on the tiara and diamond necklace she will be wearing during the fitting with the trial dress she made so that everything looks perfect (weightage, position of tiara etc) before she made the final cut on the actual dress material which was made of silk spunned by the royal silk worm and is one of its kind. She mentioned that she was very nervous as it was a very priceless material as there are no second piece alike.

Also the reason as to why Kate will travel by car to the church and by carriage to the palace, just wondering could it be the significance of arriving the church as a commoner in a car and leaving the church in a horse-drawn carriage as a Princess??

Of course you're absolutely right! When I wrote my post I was thinking from the point of view that it is the wedding of a high-ranking royal. If there's time I might edit my post! :whistling:

Thanks everyone for answering my question about the protocol of the invitations. I do understand the logic of the senior royal and who "owns" Buck House at the moment ... still a bit strange not to see someone's parents name on a wedding invitation. Oh, well ...

It does seem strange not to have one's parents mentioned on a formal wedding/marriage invitation, but that is the royal way! Incidentally, it is traditional in normal weddings for invitations to be issued by the bride's parents or these days by the couple themselves.

Last edited:
I agree that The Queen will have Catherine choose from a selection of jewels from her impressive collection, I severely doubt that she have all the jewels in the vaults displayed. We all know that there are several pieces that are closely linked with the Queen and she would not have those pieces available for Catherine to choose from. I think the setting for the jewel selection would most likely be in a more intimate space such as the queen's audience chamber rather than the grandeur of the largest room in the palace. None of us will really know, but what is describe in the article doesn't really seem like Elizabeth's style.

Nothing that woman has written recently sounds anything like Queen Elizabeth's style, which is why I don't believe a thing she says.

i think the huffington post article should be taken with a huge grain of salt. unless the dress design was already finalized, how could she possibly choose the tiara and jewelry. she would have to choose something that suits the dress and if/how she's going to wear a veil. unless of course she's designing the dress around the jewelry she's chosen, which would be very tricky. the whole bit about having all the jewels laid out for her to choose from sounds unrealistic. it's more likely that HM has allowed catherine to choose from a selection and not from the entire collection.

Confirmed Invitations?

Out professional rugby player Gareth Thomas , seems to have been invited to the wedding.
Per his twitter account on February 18th:

"Need to buy a new hat? oops did i say that out loud. Yes I have had an invite to the royal wedding. have you?" 7:59 AM Feb 18th via web

One of his teamates replied "Bullsh*t??!!" and Gareth replied:

"No bullsh*t girlfriend..will bring the proof tom."

:D
The teamate tweeted the next day that he did indeed see the invitation.

By the way, will there be a thread here for confirmed invitations or attendees?

Last edited:
It does seem strange not to have one's parents mentioned on a formal wedding/marriage invitation, but that is the royal way! Incidentally, it is traditional in normal weddings for invitations to be issued by the bride's parents or these days by the couple themselves.

I just saw a posting on GREMB which feature a copy of Prince Edward's wedding invitation and Sophie's parents were included.

I just saw a posting on GREMB which feature a copy of Prince Edward's wedding invitation and Sophie's parents were included.

:previous:I still think Prince William's invite strange not including both sets of parents. It would have been another two lines on the invite. The parents are paying for the wedding too.

:previous:I still think Prince William's invite strange not including both sets of parents. It would have been another two lines on the invite. The parents are paying for the wedding too.

I really do not think it matters who is paying for the wedding. IMO, the invitations having gone from HM as she is the monarch, and this is a semi-state affair, not just a private wedding. An invitation to the other crowned heads would be better coming from HM as opposed to Mrs & Mr Middleton, or the PoW. This also side-steps the issue of having (or not having) the DoC on the invitations.

Which parents? The cost of the wedding will be paid by the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the British taxpayers. The only thing that the Middletons are paying for (based on reports) is the dress. Now I am sure that is going to be costly (no David's Bridal for Catherine).

But I agree that this is not a normal wedding (as everyone already knows) hence the Queen's name on the invitation. Everyone knows that Charles is the father...and I agree it that it sidesteps the DoC situation on the invitation.

I think we will just have to look back at all the other royal wedding invitations both at home and abroad to see what has been done before and to satisfy ourselves that the invitation issued for William and Kate is correct and needs no amending!

Edward and Sophies invitation did indeed mention Sophie's parents but they were only mentioned in the context of being Sophie's parents and not in teh context of being the invitees.

So, when it comes to getting married into royalty, the royal way of doing things takes precedence to what normal people would do (or think they should do!).

Personally, I don't think it matters which tiara Kate will wear. A tiara is a tiara and I doubt that her gown would be overly embellished to clash, even if she chose one with colored gemstones.

I think we will just have to look back at all the other royal wedding invitations both at home and abroad to see what has been done before and to satisfy ourselves that the invitation issued for William and Kate is correct and needs no amending!

Edward and Sophies invitation did indeed mention Sophie's parents but they were only mentioned in the context of being Sophie's parents and not in teh context of being the invitees.

So, when it comes to getting married into royalty, the royal way of doing things takes precedence to what normal people would do (or think they should do!).

You has a good idea. I looked for Prince Charles and Lady Diana and found only the Queen and Prince Philip mention. Diana's father and mother were not on the invite. This makes me think of two reasons for the slight: either each groom is a future king marrying so a very royal event or else in both cases the custom of parents being divorced would have to be address on the invite. I think this invite of Prince Williams is because of both factors. What do other think?

If the press office says that over 50 members of the British Royal Family have been invited then I'm guessing that is nearly everyone before the Norweigen Royal Family in the line of succession. Kin Harald is number 68 I think. When you take out all the small children before that then it is just over 50 by my calculation

IMO, Miss Middleton should not wear a tiara at all - she is not royal or even aristocratic. If she lonas one it should be the Spencer tiara.
And I dont think she needs an acceptance symbol from the Queen as she has already granted her permission.

for those that find it strange that catherine's parents aren't mentioned on the invitations...get use to them being "left out". she is marry into the BRF and that will mean that, unless william and catherine change tradition, her family will be pushed to the very perimeter of her life. no more christmases spent together an few (if any) holidays where they are included. her life will now be completely consumer by her duties and the traditions of the family she is marrying into. sad but true.

IMO, Miss Middleton should not wear a tiara at all - she is not royal or even aristocratic. If she lonas one it should be the Spencer tiara.
And I dont think she needs an acceptance symbol from the Queen as she has already granted her permission.

CPs Mary, Letizia, Mette-Marit, Maxima, etc. (all non-royal and non-aristocratic) wore tiaras on their wedding days. I don't see why Kate shouldn't wear one.

When Willam becomes King, I could imagine them being included in the Christmas. I understand why they have been left off the invites, but I don't think they should have been. They are her parents, and becoming a Princess isn't going to change that. Before Charles becomes King we're likely to still have Middleton family holidays, William has shown great respect for Carole and Michael, he won't let them disappear.

She isn't marrying into the Spencer family though, she's marrying the windsors. Autumn Kelly wore a tiara to her wedding as did all the other current CPs.
I agree that wearing a tiara has little to do with acceptance, it just looks nice.

Last edited:
Taroonababe said:

Sophie and Autumn both wore tiaras. Sarah intentionally wore flowers to cover her tiara as she wanted the symbolism of coming into Westminster a commoner and leaving as a royal. Nothing wrong with Kate wearing a tiara IMO.
The Spencer family tiara is the absolute last tiara she should wear on her wedding day!!.

Regarding tiaras for Kate; Princess Diana nor Sarah donned one of the Queen's tiaras for their weddings. My opinion is that HM will have one made for Kate as she did for the Duchess of York.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom