The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
We don't know but at the Weddings of Charles and Diana and Andrew and Sarah the bridal Couples left after the Wedding breakfast in an open Carriage. And this was also shown live on TV.
But they didn't have an evening dinner and dancing. They left during the late afternoon/early evening - marriage about 11.30 a.m., back to the palace, balcony over by 1.30 p.m., wedding breakfast and off on honeymoon about 5.00 that evening.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Aristocracy

The excitement is building for sure. I believe that the dress has been underway for weeks already. hopefully we will hear which designer soon.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Which celebrities or foreign royals would you like to see at Prince William wedding?

Many papers have been made so far the speculation who would possibly attend the British royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.For example,the Beckhams are reportedly said to attend the wedding.I wish that at their wedding will be present Prince Albert of Monaco with Charlene,Danish and Spanish heirs to the throne along with such celebrities as Kylie Minogue,Celine Dion or Nicole Kidman. And even Madonna,but that's hardly possible.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes. Probably a swarm of locusts is waiting in the wings. It is deemed "good" she is traveling to her wedding by car (albeit a Rolls Royce) but now more do-gooders are muttering about how she should eschew any idea of a tiara as too "Rich", shorten her train (if indeed she has one planned) and refuse or return gifts if they don't come from Tesco's or Target or some other such "normal" retail outlet. I wait with bated breath for the suggestion that she nip down and grab a rental wedding dress off the rack!

The worst thing about all of this is it seems to come from a small (and narrow minded) disaffected upper middle class who I suspect are enjoying the column space their pontificating is consuming but who would never lower themselves to inflict the same austerity on their own daughters or sons.

Contrary to some sniping, the Queen's own wedding, in a time of tremendous austerity in post war Britain and the Commonwealth was a joyous occasion shared vicariously by millions. As was that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a time of deep recession. Contrary to the joyless gits in our midst, the masses did not rise up and overthrow the Monarchy nor, which I suspect is more to the point, did they lay waste to the middle classes, burning their houses and stealing their cars, such was their hate and envy.

I suspect that much the same will happen when William and Catherine tie the knot. A spontaneous outpouring of happiness and a fair amount of good will not to mention bonhomie. Saints preserve us . . . . the barbarians are at the gate!
I don't get the 'hate' either. They blame Kate's parents for acting like 21 century Boleyns, Kate for wanting to be Diana and William wanting a copy of his mother.
What the 'haters' fail to see (IMO) is that THEY are wanting a second Diana: a shy, demure, beautiful young woman with glamour and style.
This is also something that the press wants: a woman who will sell as much (or more) than Diana.

What they also fail to see, is that if there was internet at the time of Charles and Diana's engagement, surely there would be negative comments and blogs around about the costs of the wedding and the train incident (where Diana was mistaken for Camilla) would surely had gotten more attention and doubters.
But fact is: when Charles and Diana married there was no internet, we had tv, radio and the papers. They painted the fairy tale and people fell for it.

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”
- Leonardo da Vinci

All Things Royal (Dutch/Nederlands)
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalbooks View Post
But fact is: when Charles and Diana married there was no internet, we had tv, radio and the papers. They painted the fairy tale and people fell for it.
So very true. I was over the moon over Diana and still think so highly of her but I agree with you that she probably would have been portrayed differently in the age of the Internet.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I saw many british royal weeddings,(Princess margaret's weedding, Princess Alexandra's weedding, Prince Charles and Diana's weedding, Andrew and Edward's weeddings, they are shorter than the scandinavia royal's weeddings, there are the arrival of royall members 'the arrival of the bride and the ceremony after the return to Buckimgham,the balcony event,and the start for the honeymoon of the couple. we don't see the other royal guests apart there is a short view at the start of the honeymoon because they follow a little moment the bride. It was like this at the Diana and Charles's weedding.Do you now if there is a list of guests?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm usually all for tradition, but in this case I hope William and Catherine abandon the custom of child attendants, and have all adults.

It's a fairly recent tradition to use children (started with Queen Victoria), and one that I never liked much. It's a British trend not generally seen in the U.S. so perhaps that's why I don't care for it.

Still, I would think they'd prefer to have their friends in the wedding party instead of the children of their friends!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

I'm not sure they would not have kids Mirabel, I think it's British tradition (someone correct me if I'm wrong) to have young children in the wedding party. Whereas in America it's normally adults, since they're not American I doubt we'll see that.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Nobility

it's not only a British tradition. In fact many other European countries have it, including my homeland ( Bulgaria). Anyway, to have children is not so bad...kinda lightens the " stiff" atmosphere in some weddings on a way. And I believe William and Kate will not be the one to break this tradition. However, they will have the final word.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Aristocracy

God I've lost count of the number of times I was a bridesmaid/flowergirl when I was a kid, thank goodness I got too old for that job! Lol!

I never realised it was a particularly British thing to use kids in the ceremony.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Nobility

I was wondering about the following: Catherine will come to Westminster Abbey by car on her wedding day, but how will Prince William travel to the Abbey?
Will he, like his father and Prince Andrew, arrive in a carriage at the Abbey, most probably accompanied by his brother? Or will he also use a car?
And will he be leaving from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House or St. James Palace?
I was also wondering about the means of transport for the Prince of Wales and his wife and the Queen and her husband? Will they also use cars on their way to the Abbey and also leave in a carriage to Buckingham Palace?
Does anybody know?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Courtier

I don't know about that William ride car or carriage... I think he likely ride in carriage but Will find out on the day..
Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Serene Highness

I think the whole Royal family will travel by car to the Abbey and then most will go by carriage to the palace.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I never realised it was a particularly British thing to use kids in the ceremony.
It isn´t - we have that tradition in Denmark too
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Aristocracy

Indeed, think I read on twitter (think it was the Royal Reporter guy from the Express) that it was expected that the rest of the Royal Family would basically follow Catherine's lead & take cars to the Church but carriages back to BP. Not confirmed though, just expected.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Many papers have been made so far the speculation who would possibly attend the British royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.For example,the Beckhams are reportedly said to attend the wedding.I wish that at their wedding will be present Prince Albert of Monaco with Charlene,Danish and Spanish heirs to the throne along with such celebrities as Kylie Minogue,Celine Dion or Nicole Kidman. And even Madonna,but that's hardly possible.
If we see any celebs i'm hoping its for a reason, like they are actually close to the royal pair.
As for royals, they'll attend because they have to put on a good show, not because they actually want to IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
I was wondering about the following: Catherine will come to Westminster Abbey by car on her wedding day, but how will Prince William travel to the Abbey?
Will he, like his father and Prince Andrew, arrive in a carriage at the Abbey, most probably accompanied by his brother? Or will he also use a car?
And will he be leaving from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House or St. James Palace?
I was also wondering about the means of transport for the Prince of Wales and his wife and the Queen and her husband? Will they also use cars on their way to the Abbey and also leave in a carriage to Buckingham Palace?
Does anybody know?
William is leaving from St James' with his supporters in a car.
QE2, Charles, Philip and Camilla are leaving from BP via car.
Bridesmaids and pages are the only ones leaving from Clarence house.

I doubt anyone other than William and Kate will be in a carriage back to BP.

Royal wedding: Official tea-towels WILL be allowed after Palace U-turn | Mail Online
Royal wedding: BA cabin crew and Tube drivers strike threat | Mail Online
Kate Middleton's big day to be hit by tube strike: Militants threaten Royal Wedding | Mail Online
Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Have you ever heard of the Gates Foundation?
Yes, a nice tax shelter.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am sure that there will be a full carriage procession back to BP with Mrs Middleton riding with Charles and Mr Middleton with Camilla - traditionally for the BRF the parents of the incomer ride back in carriages with the parents of the royal in 'couple' formation. Camilla with Mr Middleton because she is Charles' wife and Diana is dead. They might, however, go with one of Diana's sisters in that role in which case I would expect Camilla to ride with Charles and Mrs Middleton and the husband of the sister with Mr Middleton. I would also expect the Queen and Philip to be in a carriage.

To have only one carriage would lessen the day even further and also not give the Middletons the chance to be seen and cheered on the marriage of their daughter. Also the wedding party - Harry and the bridesmaids etc would also be in a carriage or two (if two supporters one in each of two carriages full of Kate's supporters).
Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Courtier

A car wouldn't be so bad if they had a convertible with the top down. I feel so bad for all those people who would like a glimpse of the bride and will likely not be able to see her in a regular car.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitude View Post
A car wouldn't be so bad if they had a convertible with the top down. I feel so bad for all those people who would like a glimpse of the bride and will likely not be able to see her in a regular car.
But this can also happen with carriages. Given that the Wedding is in April i think it's likely that they will use closed carriages and no landauers.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding