Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall the selection of bridesmaids and page boys is good, but there are two three year olds, having a three year old cousin I can tell you getting them to cooperate will be tough.

I thought about this; three years old seems pretty young to participate in a wedding. I know people do it, but it seems to me that such young bridesmaids/page boys are more likely to steal attention away from the bride. Westminster Abbey has a long aisle for such little children to walk across. Prince William was four when he was in Prince Andrew and Sarah's wedding, though, and was mostly well-behaved (I think he made a few faces!)

It is bad enough that they have to share that with the world but at least they can have the reception in private.

Why is it bad to have a public wedding? Royals spend their whole lives in public anyway, that is the nature of the job. That kind of constant publicity isn't something most people would want, but why would it be so unpleasant for William and Kate to share their wedding with the public? It's a celebration!

Last edited:
I thought about this; three years old seems pretty young to participate in a wedding. I know people do it, but it seems to me that such young bridesmaids/page boys are more likely to steal attention away from the bride. Westminster Abbey has a long aisle for such little children to walk across. Prince William was four when he was in Prince Andrew and Sarah's wedding, though, and was mostly well-behaved (I think he made a few faces!)

Why is it bad to have a public wedding? Royals spend their whole lives in public anyway, that is the nature of the job. That kind of constant publicity isn't something most people would want, but why would it be so unpleasant for William and Kate to share their wedding with the public? It's a celebration!

A celebration you share with your family and friends not billions of people all over the world who don't know you and never will.

From Sofia's (Sofia's Royalty) Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/SofiasRoyalty

Neue Presse Coburg says no member of the Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha family will attend William & Kate's wedding, they're simply not invited

Disappointing that Hereditary Prince Hubertus of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha & wife Kelly are not invited, like they were to Victoria's wedding

Very strange choice/decision to by Prince William, Kate and the rest of the Windsors, if they have indeed not invited their ancestral family

Bridesmaids etc

I think Louise and Margarita (?) will be adorable. The other girls might be a bit young, but they have both done it before. I'm surprised they didn't have some bridesmaids around the 10 year mark.

As to Kate's family being under represented. She might not have any relatives of the right age. She doesn't have any neices or nephews. Her cousins might be too old. Besides, William and Kate have been together for years. I'm sure she considers his friends her friends. I'm sure she's know all the non relatives for most of their lives if not all.

I know that Lady Louise is happy to be apart of the wedding but with saying that I wonder if William and Kate had to beg Sophie and Edward to let her??

From Sofia's (Sofia's Royalty) Twitter:

Twitter
Hardly strange to not invite someone to whom you are now only very distantly related. Prince Albert of Saxe Coburg Gotha was after all Williams great great great great grandfather. The Coburgs are more closely related to the Swedish Royal family and have more regular contact with them since the Kings mother was born a Princess of Saxe Coburg

Edward and Sophie don't seem to have a problem with Louise and James being photographed when they're on vacation or in local events such as fairs. Lady Louise has also been at Trooping the Colour and both children have been seen boarding the yacht for the cruise in Scotland for the past couple of years. The children haven't been as exposed to the media as William and Harry or Beatrice and Eugenie, but that's fine because the chances of them becoming working members of the RF isn't very likely. Being a flower girl is different IMO than being seen going to and coming from school as her cousins were. The press is much less intrusive about the Wessex family than they've been about other RF members, and hopefully this will mean that Lady Louise and Viscount Severn will have a more private upbringing and adult life.

I know that Lady Louise is happy to be apart of the wedding but with saying that I wonder if William and Kate had to beg Sophie and Edward to let her??

What about Louise's brother James? He's just as cute as her and he would have made a great page boy

A celebration you share with your family and friends not billions of people all over the world who don't know you and never will.
I still think William being who he is does understand the level of interest. I'm sure both he and Kate are flattered. Yes they are very private people but I'm sure he knew when this day came people would want to see every aspect of the wedding not cause they want to intrude but because like me they almost feel part of his family what not seeing him grow up and such.

I have heard there is a possibility of getting some coverage from the reception but no idea to what extent and certainly nothing on the level of Victoria and Daniel. I did like what Princess Margaret did though allowing the camera's into BP to film the arrivals of the wedding breakfast IMO for me that would pretty much be icing on the cake good way to end the day. IMO I won't be totally crushed if we don't hear anything from the reception but judging by recent royal wedding if nothing is shown I think we'll atleast get some details in the paper the next day. Though if she does have a second dress I'll be dying to see it, I am a girl after all my fave part of the day will be seeing the dress!:lol:

I still think William being who he is does understand the level of interest. I'm sure both he and Kate are flattered. Yes they are very private people but I'm sure he knew when this day came people would want to see every aspect of the wedding not cause they want to intrude but because like me they almost feel part of his family what not seeing him grow up and such.

Its all part and parcel of the royal family being so representative of Great Britain with all its pomp and circumstance and historical traditions. Its something that the entire nation can celebrate and identify with and take pride in the fact that around the world, billions of others are very much interested in something like this. I don't think there really has ever been such a world wide interest in anything such as there is when there is a royal wedding. It was said that 750 million people watched the wedding of Charles and Diana and the expected audience for William and Kate's is around 3 billion people. Its definitely a time for the BRF to shine!

I have heard there is a possibility of getting some coverage from the reception but no idea to what extent and certainly nothing on the level of Victoria and Daniel. I did like what Princess Margaret did though allowing the camera's into BP to film the arrivals of the wedding breakfast IMO for me that would pretty much be icing on the cake good way to end the day. IMO I won't be totally crushed if we don't hear anything from the reception but judging by recent royal wedding if nothing is shown I think we'll atleast get some details in the paper the next day. Though if she does have a second dress I'll be dying to see it, I am a girl after all my fave part of the day will be seeing the dress!:lol:

Oh yes.. the dress, Will's uniform, the hairdos, the JEWELS, the flowers!
For the reception that Prince Charles is hosting, I really don't expect too much to become public from that at all. The wedding breakfast is more for the VIPs and guests from different patronages and such. The party later on I think will be strictly family and close friends and will be more of a "let your hair down and have FUN" celebration well away from the public eye.
After such a long, tiring day of protocol and behaving oneself, Will and Kate surely deserve to let go and enjoy a part of their wedding day. :D

True on both points but hate me if you must but if there's a second dress then god dammit I'll be mad if we don't see it :lol: I've had both my church dress and reception dress picked out since I was 11 years old so you can tell how much I LOVE weddings! Which could explain why I'm slightly obsessed about knowing every little detail about this one.

True on both points but hate me if you must but if there's a second dress then god dammit I'll be mad if we don't see it :lol: I've had both my church dress and reception dress picked out since I was 11 years old so you can tell how much I LOVE weddings! Which could explain why I'm slightly obsessed about knowing every little detail about this one.

Oh trust me I will be eyeballing every bit of coverage there may be to get a peep at the second dress myself!

I still have a gut feeling that perhaps what Kate will do is have a main dress (perhaps even strapless) which will serve wonderfully for a private reception. To make the dress more regal and suitable for Westminster Abbey, she'd have sort of an overdress type thing that has the sleeves and the long train.

But then again... if she has two different dresses, it gives the both of them an excuse to slip away for a while and um... change. :whistling:

I don't think I have seen the article posted, but don't check this thread everyday.

I find it interesting that they are putting all the blame on Kate. Last I check it is usually two people who get married. I find it sad that apparently Courtiers pick the cakes etc not the bride and groom. Or I am reading way too much into the comment made by the cake person.

There could be many reasons why this place wasn't picked. They could just not like the place for some reason. They could have the cake already picked out.

Last edited:
I don't think I have seen the article posted, but don't check this thread everyday.

I find it interesting that they are putting all the blame on Kate. Last I check it is usually two people who get married. I find it sad that apparently Courtiers pick the cakes etc not the bride and groom. Or I am reading way too much into the comment made by the cake person.

There could be many reasons why this place wasn't picked. They could just not like the place for some reason. They could have the cake already picked out.

Doesn't Kate's brother James do cakes? Perhaps he's making up an extra special one for the wedding.

Chelly totally agree with your statment, there are two people going into this marriage, William and Kate, so it can't just be Kate that's making all the calls. So why are they always blaming Kate.

When I have been reading the articles about the kids that have been choosen, they say that the boys that have been choosen are supporters of William, now does that mean that they will walk down the isle with Kate holding the hads of the bridesmaids like we have seen with other royal weddings or will they be with Harry and William up at the alter waiting for Kate to arrive?

haha too true, actually my mom says she too expects something like that. I think they said they will be taking a "break" hehe between the wedding breakfast and night time reception

Has this been posted?
Too many cooks for this royal cake

I'm not sure this article is correct because I thought that chefs from the forces cooked the royal wedding cakes? I am sure that the Royal Navy made Andrew and Sarah's wedding cake because there was a news report about it and I saw them pouring bottles on Navy Rum in the mix!?

I see no surprises in their choices for groomsmen or bridesmaids. I would expect William to include Spencer family members. It was his mother family so it's normal to invite them. On the other hand people often choose as best man or maid of honor own siblings if they have any or close relatives, or best friends, so again no surprise that Kate chose Pipa, and William chose Harry. :neutral:

I'm not sure this article is correct because I thought that chefs from the forces cooked the royal wedding cakes? I am sure that the Royal Navy made Andrew and Sarah's wedding cake because there was a news report about it and I saw them pouring bottles on Navy Rum in the mix!?

According to wikipedia several groups took part including the Naval Armed Forces, the company mentioned in the article and others. Though it goes to say they had 27 where the article saids 11. So I have no idea who is correct, I can't check my books at the moment but I am sure someone will correct me before I get a chance.

haha too true, actually my mom says she too expects something like that. I think they said they will be taking a "break" hehe between the wedding breakfast and night time reception

Has this been posted?
Too many cooks for this royal cake

I am not sure how accurate this article could be. It is from NDTV.com, which is an India based news channel.

Find it a bit strange that apart from her sister every other attendant seems to come from William's orbit. Dosn't she have any other family members of her own that she would like to have asked?

Isn't that generally the case in royal weddings?
All of Diana's attendants were there through their connection with Charles, weren't they?

Kate's probably lucky she was allowed to have Pippa instead of Beatrice or Zara!

Muriel, my comment is very straight forward. It is a royal wedding from beginning to end. William is the royal and has more say in things. So, let's be honest, OK?

Muriel, my comment is very straight forward. It is a royal wedding from beginning to end. William is the royal and has more say in things. So, let's be honest, OK?

I would hate to think your statement ture. I would hope that all decisions are being made by both of them. While I'll agree that it is a royal wedding and protocal is being follwed as far as the members of the wedding party and so on..so lets be honest enough to say we really don't know.

Last edited:
I would hate to think your statement ture. I would hope that all decisions are being made by both of them. While I'll agree that it is a royal wedding and protcal is being follwed as far as the members of the wedding party and so on..so lets be honest enough to say we really don't know.

I quite agree with Lady Ann. Whilst royal protocal will no doubt need to be followed, I would hope that the couple together are making a number of the key decisions.

Has anyone considered that maybe Kate actually wanted those people who have been chosen to be bridesmaids etc, just because they are from William's family/group of friends doesn't necessarily mean Kate is being forced into having them involved in the wedding or that she had no say etc.

Maybe she is eprfectly happy with these particular people & knows them herself, seeing as she has been dating William for a number of years & attended various family/friend's events over the years I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that she knows at least some of the people chosen as bridesmaids/other attendents etc & has some kind of acquaintance/relationship with them herself.

Ok, I looked it all up. Here's the information on the bridesmaids and page boys

The Attendants

Best Man: HRH Prince Henry of Wales, brother of the groom

Maid of Honor: Miss Philippa "Pippa" Middleton, sister of the bride

Lead Bridesmaid: Lady Louise Wessex, age 7, daughter of HRH Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex

Bridesmaid: The Honorable Margarita Armstrong -Jones, age 8, daughter of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley and Serena Armstrong Jones (nee Stanhope), Vicountess Linley, and grandson of HRH Princess Margaret Windsor (deceased) and Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon. Miss Armstrong-Jones is 1st Cousin once removed of HRH Prince William of Wales, and grandniece HM Queen Elizabeth II.

Bridesmaid: Miss Eliza Lopes, age 3, daughter of Mrs. Laura Lopes and Mr. Henry Lopes and granddaughter of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall the wife of HRH Charles, Prince Of Wales. Miss Lopes is also the great granddaughter of the 2nd Baron Roborough and the 2nd Baron Astor of Hever. (Hever Castle is the former home of King Henry VIII's 2nd wife HM Queen Anne Bolelyn's family.)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Astor,_2nd_Baron_Astor_of_Hever

Bridesmaid: Miss Grace Van Custem, age 3, daughter of Mr. Edward Van Custem and Lady Tamara Van Custem (nee Grosvenor) daughter of the Duke of Westminster. Miss Van Custem is HRH Prince William of Wales' Goddaughter.

Page Boy: Tom Pettifer, age 8, son of Mrs. Alexandra Shân "Tiggy" Pettifer (nee Legge-Bourke) and Mr. Charles Pettifer. Mrs. Pettifer was the nanny to HRH Prince William of Wales and HRH Prince Henry of Wales, and was the one who was there for them when their mother passed away. Mr. Tom Pettifer is HRH Prince William of Wales' Godson.

Page Boy: William "Billy" Lowther-Pinkerton, son of Major James "Jamie" Lowther Pinkerton and Mrs. Susannah Lowther-Pinkerton. Mr. Lowther-Pinkerton is ,The Private Secretary to HRH Prince William of Wales and HRH Prince Henry of Wales,

Let's be honest. This is William's wedding.

Wrong; it is your opinion that it is William's wedding. I say that it is their wedding, or is he marrying himself?

I think that your comment is very presumptuous. Only because William is the royal and royal protocol has to be followed doesn't automatically mean that he has more say in things and/or that his opinion counts most to make decisions final.
You make it sound like she has to be at his beck and calling and should be happy with whatever preference of hers is included at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom