The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1721  
Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Have you ever heard of the Gates Foundation?
The Gates Foundation did not come into being until many, many years after BG made his millions AND was already under much criticism for his lack of attentiveness to charity. However, it IS nice that he and his wife finally saw fit to establish a foundation.

But certainly, there are always jealous and complaining people no matter the situation. I am curious if indeed taxes must be paid on wedding gifts in the UK, is that truly the case?
__________________

  #1722  
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I absolutely agree with you ... unfortunately I did not make it clear that my comment about refusing the gift was sarcasm. It really is a bit ridiculous to place all the woes or agendas of various people on the backs of William and Kate. It really is getting very petty.
I'm sure that any gift that William and Kate do receive for their wedding will be acknowledged gracefully by their PAs and really have nothing to do with the couple themselves. With the amount of gifts and mails and gods know whats they're going to get over the next couple months, they definitely are going to have staff to handle it. Their aim right now I think is to get married and get back to Wales and shop at Tesco.
__________________

  #1723  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I absolutely agree with you ... unfortunately I did not make it clear that my comment about refusing the gift was sarcasm. It really is a bit ridiculous to place all the woes or agendas of various people on the backs of William and Kate. It really is getting very petty.
I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes. Probably a swarm of locusts is waiting in the wings. It is deemed "good" she is traveling to her wedding by car (albeit a Rolls Royce) but now more do-gooders are muttering about how she should eschew any idea of a tiara as too "Rich", shorten her train (if indeed she has one planned) and refuse or return gifts if they don't come from Tesco's or Target or some other such "normal" retail outlet. I wait with bated breath for the suggestion that she nip down and grab a rental wedding dress off the rack!

The worst thing about all of this is it seems to come from a small (and narrow minded) disaffected upper middle class who I suspect are enjoying the column space their pontificating is consuming but who would never lower themselves to inflict the same austerity on their own daughters or sons.

Contrary to some sniping, the Queen's own wedding, in a time of tremendous austerity in post war Britain and the Commonwealth was a joyous occasion shared vicariously by millions. As was that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a time of deep recession. Contrary to the joyless gits in our midst, the masses did not rise up and overthrow the Monarchy nor, which I suspect is more to the point, did they lay waste to the middle classes, burning their houses and stealing their cars, such was their hate and envy.

I suspect that much the same will happen when William and Catherine tie the knot. A spontaneous outpouring of happiness and a fair amount of good will not to mention bonhomie. Saints preserve us . . . . the barbarians are at the gate!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #1724  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
I remember Prince Edward saying years ago that the British were down on people who made a success of themselves. This is definitely the feeling that I'm getting from various sources, particularly the posts in response to articles and videos online. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw a post comparing Kate to excrement. I haven't gone back to see whether it was removed, but I hope that the editorial staff won't put up with those sorts of remarks. This wedding is certainly bringing out the "haters."



Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes.
  #1725  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm sure that any gift that William and Kate do receive for their wedding will be acknowledged gracefully by their PAs and really have nothing to do with the couple themselves. With the amount of gifts and mails and gods know whats they're going to get over the next couple months, they definitely are going to have staff to handle it. Their aim right now I think is to get married and get back to Wales and shop at Tesco.
I would think that a gift of rare jewels valued at 60 million pounds might score a personal thank-you note. I rather think that a letter from a servant might be taken to be an insult.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
  #1726  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes. Probably a swarm of locusts is waiting in the wings. It is deemed "good" she is traveling to her wedding by car (albeit a Rolls Royce) but now more do-gooders are muttering about how she should eschew any idea of a tiara as too "Rich", shorten her train (if indeed she has one planned) and refuse or return gifts if they don't come from Tesco's or Target or some other such "normal" retail outlet. I wait with bated breath for the suggestion that she nip down and grab a rental wedding dress off the rack!

The worst thing about all of this is it seems to come from a small (and narrow minded) disaffected upper middle class who I suspect are enjoying the column space their pontificating is consuming but who would never lower themselves to inflict the same austerity on their own daughters or sons.

Contrary to some sniping, the Queen's own wedding, in a time of tremendous austerity in post war Britain and the Commonwealth was a joyous occasion shared vicariously by millions. As was that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a time of deep recession. Contrary to the joyless gits in our midst, the masses did not rise up and overthrow the Monarchy nor, which I suspect is more to the point, did they lay waste to the middle classes, burning their houses and stealing their cars, such was their hate and envy.

I suspect that much the same will happen when William and Catherine tie the knot. A spontaneous outpouring of happiness and a fair amount of good will not to mention bonhomie. Saints preserve us . . . . the barbarians are at the gate!

May I ask how you know the snipers are from the 'upper middle class'?

The fact that both the Queen and Charles' wedding were greeted with joy and acclaim also reflects the fact that the Royal Family were regarded with affection and esteem but in the last 30 years the Queen has had three of her children's marriages fail, two ex-daughters-in-law bring disrepute for various actions by themselves to the family, phone taps revealing that the family have some unsavoury conversations, grandchildren who don't seem to have learnt much history or take advantage of the public etc etc etc. In other words the RF as such aren't held in as high esteen today and people see them as fair game - a situation that didn't exist before tell all stories by members of the family for whatever reason.
  #1727  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I would think that a gift of rare jewels valued at 60 million pounds might score a personal thank-you note. I rather think that a letter from a servant might be taken to be an insult.
That's what PAs are for. While William in on station I'm sure that Kate will personally respond for the both of them for gifts. That's why they have PAs.
If there's one thing that been installed and followed by all royal brides, its the courtesy of saying thank you. Both Diana and Sarah are noted for doing that. I just don't think that a 60m gift will mean that much to William and Kate but they will realize the implications of such a gift.
  #1728  
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes. Probably a swarm of locusts is waiting in the wings. It is deemed "good" she is traveling to her wedding by car (albeit a Rolls Royce) but now more do-gooders are muttering about how she should eschew any idea of a tiara as too "Rich", shorten her train (if indeed she has one planned) and refuse or return gifts if they don't come from Tesco's or Target or some other such "normal" retail outlet. I wait with bated breath for the suggestion that she nip down and grab a rental wedding dress off the rack!

The worst thing about all of this is it seems to come from a small (and narrow minded) disaffected upper middle class who I suspect are enjoying the column space their pontificating is consuming but who would never lower themselves to inflict the same austerity on their own daughters or sons.

Contrary to some sniping, the Queen's own wedding, in a time of tremendous austerity in post war Britain and the Commonwealth was a joyous occasion shared vicariously by millions. As was that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a time of deep recession. Contrary to the joyless gits in our midst, the masses did not rise up and overthrow the Monarchy nor, which I suspect is more to the point, did they lay waste to the middle classes, burning their houses and stealing their cars, such was their hate and envy.

I suspect that much the same will happen when William and Catherine tie the knot. A spontaneous outpouring of happiness and a fair amount of good will not to mention bonhomie. Saints preserve us . . . . the barbarians are at the gate!
I agree with what a lot of what you are saying. There is a fair amount of meanness and possibly double standards in a lot of the frankly, IMO, unfair criticism that is being bandied about the forums at the moment.

In time, a selection of the gifts received will be put on public display, just as those that HM received are.
  #1729  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That's what PAs are for. While William in on station I'm sure that Kate will personally respond for the both of them for gifts. That's why they have PAs.
I'm not sure what you mean about the thank you notes. Do you mean that Kate will personally respond, by having an assistant write a letter which that assistant will sign, or that she and William will have an assistant type a letter for them which Kate will sign. In other words, will it be "Their Royal Highnesses have asked me to acknowledge their thanks..." or "Prince William and I acknowledge with thanks..."?

Quote:
I just don't think that a 60m gift will mean that much to William and Kate but they will realize the implications of such a gift.
I really hope that a 60 million pound gift means something to William and Kate. I will be surprised if they receive many gifts of that value, and I am sure they will realize the implications of it.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
  #1730  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
So for the Mail, she is already "Princess Catherine"... at least in this article.
  #1731  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,048
Until or unless Prince William is made Duke of ? they really don't have much choice but I think it a fair bet that she will only be Princess Catherine in the Mail after the wedding. I should imagine their editors would rather eat dirt than call her Princess William!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #1732  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about the thank you notes. Do you mean that Kate will personally respond, by having an assistant write a letter which that assistant will sign, or that she and William will have an assistant type a letter for them which Kate will sign. In other words, will it be "Their Royal Highnesses have asked me to acknowledge their thanks..." or "Prince William and I acknowledge with thanks..."
I have no clue how they'd actually acknowledge the gift but I'd assume that all of the gifts that they do receive will be sent a thank you. I just don't see either William or Kate's ears really perking up at a 60m gift. I'd think the both of them would look at each other.. grin and say "royal vaults"

I do think the couple would personally give thanks for the gift as that is part and parcel of what royal duties are. How they do it is anyone's guess. This is one area of the BRF that has stood out. the protocol of thank you notes. Diana did constantly. Sarah would send lavish gifts as a thank you. Its a part of of the old school that hasn't quite died yet.
  #1733  
Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Sherlock221B's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

May I ask how you know the snipers are from the 'upper middle class'?

The fact that both the Queen and Charles' wedding were greeted with joy and acclaim also reflects the fact that the Royal Family were regarded with affection and esteem but in the last 30 years the Queen has had three of her children's marriages fail, two ex-daughters-in-law bring disrepute for various actions by themselves to the family, phone taps revealing that the family have some unsavoury conversations, grandchildren who don't seem to have learnt much history or take advantage of the public etc etc etc. In other words the RF as such aren't held in as high esteen today and people see them as fair game - a situation that didn't exist before tell all stories by members of the family for whatever reason.
...and the government elected by the people has done a significantly better job over the same time period?
  #1734  
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
...and the government elected by the people has done a significantly better job over the same time period?
I thought the same thing!

But, I feel that at least some of the criticism is directed at Kate personally, rather than the RF.

It's no secret she and Pippa were nicknamed "the wisteria sisters" (fast-climbing and ornamental). I believe there's considerable resentment in certain circles because William chose to marry her after all.
  #1735  
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
I think the wedding gifts of the sort like those £60million gemstones (& similar grand gifts) are almost like a gift to the country itself but given through the couple. Yes it's a wedding gift to William & Kate but due to their future positions I'm sure any gifts of that magnitude would be used during royal engagements, state visits etc where they are representing the UK, & when not in use I'm fairly sure for at least some of the time they'd be put on display somewhere for tourists, visitors etc to enjoy. So it's not like they get all these wonderful things given to them & they'd hide them away for themselves, I'd see it as more a gift to the nation but maybe I'm wrong in thinking that.
  #1736  
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That was 30 years ago and the world has moved on. Ostentatious displays of wealth, by the royals simply emphasises to the people the differences between them, particularly in times of crisis for the country and the world.
I have seen complaints that William is marrying a commoner, and that Royalty should only marry other Royalty, and if the trend of marrying commoners continues they become nothing but commoners.

I have seen complaints regarding William and Kate not wanting servants after they are married and living in the farmhouse in Wales. That this somehow translates into William not wanting to be Royal, so therefore should just walk away. The bone of contention is that they are expected to live like royalty....not commoners.

I have seen complaints about the money being spent for security even though the wedding and reception is being paid for by Prince Charles and the Queen. Some people don't want a shilling spent on any part of this wedding even though the security is necessary due to the general public lining the procession route to view the wedding.

I have seen complaints regarding this wedding not having the same pomp and pageantry that we have all become accustomed to for British Royal weddings.

And now....I see complaints regarding the expensive gifts that will be showered on the couple, and that showing ostentatious wealth in these economic times further separates Royalty from the common man?

My head is reeling from the contradictions and unreasonable expectations put on this family, and most particularly on William and Kate.
  #1737  
Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I thought the same thing!

But, I feel that at least some of the criticism is directed at Kate personally, rather than the RF.

It's no secret she and Pippa were nicknamed "the wisteria sisters" (fast-climbing and ornamental). I believe there's considerable resentment in certain circles because William chose to marry her after all.
Any criticism of the "Wisteria sisters" will no doubt be stemming from jealousy more than anything else!
  #1738  
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
marine2109's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Palace lifts Kate Middleton and Prince William teacloth ban
Palace overturns ban on Prince William and Kate Middleton tea towel to commemorate royal wedding - hellomagazine.com
  #1739  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: port st lucie, United States
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't know what it is with this wedding. It seems to have brought out those meanness and envy of some people who seem to think that if William and Kate accept "certain" presents (namely not on the bigot's own approval list) then they will be seen as promoting hunger, slavery, terrorism, and bus strikes. Probably a swarm of locusts is waiting in the wings. It is deemed "good" she is traveling to her wedding by car (albeit a Rolls Royce) but now more do-gooders are muttering about how she should eschew any idea of a tiara as too "Rich", shorten her train (if indeed she has one planned) and refuse or return gifts if they don't come from Tesco's or Target or some other such "normal" retail outlet. I wait with bated breath for the suggestion that she nip down and grab a rental wedding dress off the rack!

The worst thing about all of this is it seems to come from a small (and narrow minded) disaffected upper middle class who I suspect are enjoying the column space their pontificating is consuming but who would never lower themselves to inflict the same austerity on their own daughters or sons.

Contrary to some sniping, the Queen's own wedding, in a time of tremendous austerity in post war Britain and the Commonwealth was a joyous occasion shared vicariously by millions. As was that of Prince Charles and Lady Diana in a time of deep recession. Contrary to the joyless gits in our midst, the masses did not rise up and overthrow the Monarchy nor, which I suspect is more to the point, did they lay waste to the middle classes, burning their houses and stealing their cars, such was their hate and envy.

I suspect that much the same will happen when William and Catherine tie the knot. A spontaneous outpouring of happiness and a fair amount of good will not to mention bonhomie. Saints preserve us . . . . the barbarians are at the gate!
Excellent post! I totally agree. Why shouldn't they have a nice wedding? Doesn't everyone want a nice wedding? some people can be so narrow minded.
Did people really say she shouldn't have a long train or wear a tiara? HORRORS! If thats the case.
  #1740  
Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I have seen complaints that William is marrying a commoner, and that Royalty should only marry other Royalty, and if the trend of marrying commoners continues they become nothing but commoners.

I have seen complaints regarding William and Kate not wanting servants after they are married and living in the farmhouse in Wales. That this somehow translates into William not wanting to be Royal, so therefore should just walk away. The bone of contention is that they are expected to live like royalty....not commoners.

I have seen complaints about the money being spent for security even though the wedding and reception is being paid for by Prince Charles and the Queen. Some people don't want a shilling spent on any part of this wedding even though the security is necessary due to the general public lining the procession route to view the wedding.

I have seen complaints regarding this wedding not having the same pomp and pageantry that we have all become accustomed to for British Royal weddings.

And now....I see complaints regarding the expensive gifts that will be showered on the couple, and that showing ostentatious wealth in these economic times further separates Royalty from the common man?

My head is reeling from the contradictions and unreasonable expectations put on this family, and most particularly on William and Kate.
I agree totally, they can't win no matter what they do or don't do.

That said, for me personally, from what we've heard of the plans so far I'm perfectly fine with everything so far. There is enough pomp & pagaentry for my liking without going over the top or going excessive but it also isn't being pushed under the carpet & ignored. I feel for the current climate/situation they're doing a good job of organising this event & everything that's been announced so far has been pleasing to me so I'm just ignoring the naysayers & moaners!

Am just hoping it all works out well in the end & everything goes off without any problems.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
andrew scott cooper ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coronation coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events dictatorship duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy murder new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 october and november 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit fashion and style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises