Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it's normal and natural for a bride to have her sister as a Maid of Honour, and for a bridegroom to have his brother as a best man.

Phillippa is nearer to Kate than Zara; for Kate Zara will be a "borrowed" family.

Last edited:
Cheers to William and Kate for having Eliza Lopes as a bridesmaid. A very nice gesture from William to his step-mothers family.

IMO, it's normal and natural for a bride to have her sister as a Maid of Honour, and for a bridegroom to have his brother as a best man.

Phillippa is nearer to Kate than Zara; for Kate Zara will be a "borrowed" family.

I think the Zara reference was another example to show that sisters have been in the royal bridal party before. Zara, of course the sister of Peter when he married Autumn.

Honestly, I am a little taken aback by the notion that having one's sister as a maid of honor for a royal wedding is a "opportunistic form of nepotism." She's her sister for goodness sake.

Not at all surprised by Louise and Margarita. Though I am pleased as punch about Margarita...I knew she was going to be one!

Last edited:
I think the Zara reference was another example to show that sisters have been in the royal bridal party before. Zara, of course the sister of Peter when he married Autumn.

Honestly, I am a little taken aback by the notion that having one's sister as a maid of honor for a royal wedding is a "opportunistic form of nepotism." She's her sister for goodness sake.

Not at all surprised by Louise and Margarita. Though I am pleased as punch about Margarita...I knew she was going to be one!

Indeed, it's an absurd point of argument if you ask me. The only people who I could imagine not wanting their various family members playing a part in their wedding would be people who have fallen out with their family or that don't have any family. Next thing you know people will be claiming that Kate's Dad walking her down the aisle is nepotism & a blatent attempt to boost the public profile of Party Pieces! :lol: *rolleyes*

The choice of bestman/maid of honour & bridesmaids/pageboys seem like the obvious, natural choices to me. I'd have been utterly shocked if Pippa & Harry weren't maid of honour/best man.

Iluvbertie,
Beatrice and Eugenie York might as well not exist and that is a sad commentary on that situation..as this was perfect opportunity to have them.Lady Louise is a kind gesture and loving one. The Queen had bridesmaids that were all the same age. - young ladies etc...... I have to wonder whether Sarah will even show up-The decision to possibly have Catherine's sis there as bridesmaid might have called for a unified field in age-for the bridesmaids; this is all over the age board- mostly children and teenagers her sis may look like a sore thumb.. quite a mix-yet an opportunity to have Beatrice and Eugenie to participate for once and to possibly mend fences alas!

There is no disrespect or snubbing on Catherine's part in regards to not asking Beatrice and Eugenie to be bridesmaids. Nor is there a divide between them and the rest of the Royal family due to their mother's actions. Why would there be?

With the exception of Pippa and Harry being Maid of Honor and Best Man, the rest of the wedding party choices follows tradition of previous Royal weddings where children are invited to participate rather than adults.

I do not see a peacemaker of initiative in the wedding arena.. one to unify rather than divide. These choices ingratiate the couple to the status quo and the notions that they are doing things their own way and with a hint of iconclasm is but a fallacy.Those are popular choices and not of precedence really. However it is their wedding and they are doing it as they please. It might be regarded as of form contemptuous selection and exclusion..and continuing the favoritism that prevails JMO

Who does Catherine need to make peace with and why does her choices divide rather than unify? This is a Royal Wedding. Not a session of Parliament.

Last edited:
Can someone remind me who is Mrs Hugh Van Cutsem? Is she the Duke of Westminster's daughter or an Astor, or someone else? It's easier to keep track of the Van Cutsems by the women they marry.

Pippa and Harry as Maid of Honour and Best Man

IMHO, this says a great deal about Catherine and Pr. William. That family members are their closest companions and that they would seek to honour and involve them in such a meaningful way gives a glimpse into the characters of each that I find quite appealing.

Lady Rose is an Astor.

She is not a "Lady", but a Honorable as daughter of a Viscount. Thus she is rightly named Mrs. Hugh van Cutsem. Edward van Cutsem's wife Tamara is the daughter of the duke of Westminster. Thus she has the precedence of the daughter of a duke and is styled Lady Tamara van Cutsem, because her rank is higher than that of her husband. That's why she is not Mrs. Edward van Cutsem.:flowers:

Last edited:
I'm happy to see Lady Louise in there. I bet she's really excited!

Why is there no one from Kate's family included in the wedding party but her sister? It seems awfully dominated by William's side.

I must say I think it is lovely that Eliza Lopes will be a bridesmaid! She and Grace van Cutsem will look very cute together as will Lady Louise and Margarita.

I can picture it now: The two 3 yr olds followed by the 7 and 8 yr olds, then Pippa, then Kate.

Why is there no one from Kate's family included in the wedding party but her sister? It seems awfully dominated by William's side.

Perhaps there are no children of a suitable age within the Middleton clan.

I know we considered that William will not wear a historical RAF uniform like that worn by George VI; we thought it might look like a costume.

But I came across this: Full dress is now rarely worn except by the Foot Guards and the Household Cavalry. It is issued at public expense to these units; other units may obtain and wear Full Dress (in their pre-1914 pattern if no modern order is prescribed) for use in historical displays, when acting as ushers or lining parties at weddings, and when acting as a sword guard to the Royal Horse Artillery.[2] However, these uniforms must be purchased and maintained from non-public funds.

So, does this mean that William may wear a uniform modeled on his great-grandfather's? I hope so!

It's possible that there are no small children in Kate's immediate family. My older brother has two young ones. But if he were my younger brother (like James and Pippa) and without children, there would be absolutely no one else in my family that would be suitable. And my family isn't small!

Considering how long Kate and William have been together, I wouldn't be surprised if choices like Eliza and Billy Lowther-Pinkerton were joint choices. If you go back and look at pictures of Kate, there are several of her greeting, hanging out and joking around with Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton and Laura Lopes. Kate has also been dating William since Lady Louise and Grace Van Cutsem were born.

I can picture it now: The two 3 yr olds followed by the 7 and 8 yr olds, then Pippa, then Kate.

Feel free to shoot me down here, because I don't have kids myself, but do you think the really young ones will cope with the occasion. I imagine it may be a little overwhelming, what with it being the wedding of the decade and probably billions of people watching all over the world.

Or will they be too young to care about the enormity, and just be carefree...

How did Prince William handle being a pageboy at Andrew and Sarah's wedding, wasn't he around that age.

Feel free to shoot me down here, because I don't have kids myself, but do you think the really young ones will cope with the occasion. I imagine it may be a little overwhelming, what with it being the wedding of the decade and probably billions of people watching all over the world.

Why would I shoot you down!:flowers:

Obviously we can't really predict how they will behave on the day. However I'd say they will only walk down the aisle then be whisked off by nannies and then returned at the end of the service. However my mother had a three year old in her wedding party and she said it was fine but I guess we aren't comparing like with like. I'm betting the children will be fairly well drilled before the big day and both Eliza and Grace have been bridesmaids before.

I must say I think it is lovely that Eliza Lopes will be a bridesmaid! She and Grace van Cutsem will look very cute together as will Lady Louise and Margarita.

I think Pippa will follow Kate so to keep the train (I'm assuming she'll have some sort of substantial train) in check.

I think it's lovely that they have included his step-niece. It says a lot about the relationship between the families imo.

There may not have been anyone else in Kate's family to include. My wedding party didn't include anyone from my husband's side as there were no young children who could be flowergirls or pages and he has no sisters who could be a Bridesmaids. Whereas my family had a plethora of candidates.

How did Prince William handle being a pageboy at Andrew and Sarah's wedding, wasn't he around that age.

I watched the program William, Kate and 8 Royal Weddings again last night and there was a bit of coverage of William as a page boy for Andrew and Sarah's wedding. To me it looked as if he was having the time of his life. He was dressed up neatly in a sailor suit and even had a little sword to go with it. It was said he fidgeted during the ceremony but watching him, he dealt with the whole thing admirably. I did have to laugh when they showed the Queen chasing after the carriage taking Andrew and Sarah off to their honeymoon. What the footage didn't show is that HM was chasing after William who was just a little bit too enthused about the sendoff.

I think the children will do just fine for the ceremony.

Little children are (generally) the norm. They will be carefree, but they will do their jobs as best they can. Prince William acted up at Sarah's wedding, I think, but it was thought to be cute. I agreed with the cuteness.

Last edited:

It was said that Diana had to lure him with M&Ms or some other form of candy so he would have to pay attention. He was a little fidgety in the chair during the ceremony, and was talking to the young girls sitting next to him.

Little children will behave....how they behave...all you can do is try and teach them and hopefully they will be good to go the day of the wedding..hahaha... :)

Little children can feel the seriousness in the church, so they´ll behave properly :)

It was said that Diana had to lure him with M&Ms or some other form of candy so he would have to pay attention. He was a little fidgety in the chair during the ceremony, and was talking to the young girls sitting next to him.

Little children will behave....how they behave...all you can do is try and teach them and hopefully they will be good to go the day of the wedding..hahaha... :)

I still remember the wedding of Letizia and Felipe, where Felipes nephew was kicking the girls and was visibly proud of himself :lol: I don't think his parents agreed with him :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom