The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn

I finally found a link that had a few pictures of the stones! Imagine the beautiful jewelry they could create out of them...

Jewelry Insider™: Kate and William's Rainbow Connection
I am not seeing the actual stones, just ones like them am I missing something?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Courtier

will they be added to the royal collection or be Kate's personally?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Every Royal bride has received obscenely expensive gifts, and Kate should be no different. It's petty and ridiculous to put the entire country's problems on William and Kate's young shoulders for their special day by expecting them to refuse expensive gifts, not to mention it would be considered an insult of major proportions to do so.
I'm not suggesting they would, or should, refuse such expensive gifts, but the fact that they live in a stratum of society in which such obscenely expensive gifts are given, highlights the difference between them and the majority of the population, many of whom are struggling financially. Though it has happened for millenia, attitudes have changed. On learning of such extravant gifts, some people who are not ardent monarchists but so far have not been actively republican, may well take the view that the relatively impotent monarchy has outlived its usefulness and should be dispensed with. Of course that would not mean that the 50 odd million pounds would go to the state's coffers, but the idea that those who already have so much are being given so much more might stick in the craw of some people, who, at the very least, will not get excited about these new baubles.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
If they are given to Kate, they will be hers. But she will probably pass them onto her children and onto the grandchildren etc.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

The rainbow collection, cool. It makes sense for the owner to want to sell them and have them gifted to Wills and Kate. He obviously loves these diamonds and doesn't want them separated, otherwise I reckon he would have sold some of them already. Giving them to Kate means they all stick together and will be preserved and displayed for generations.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness

Ms. Middleton did some jewelry design for her old employer Jigsaw. Just think of the fun she might have designing a Rainbow collection of jewelry for herself.

I don't think another royal has a rainbow collection of all diamonds. Maybe gems. I hope Catherine likes the colors and that the diamonds blend with each other. I think they would insult the gift giver if the sold some of the diamonds.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Quote:

If they are given to Kate, they will be hers. But she will probably pass them onto her children and onto the grandchildren etc.
Not to say the article was correct, but in the article linked to about Camilla's jewelry gifts, it says that all gifts revert back to the monarch to either be added to the Crown Jewels or given to the next PoW or put in storage (otherwise she would owe taxes on them).

I personally wouldn't want to see one set made with all those different colored jewels...I think that would look tacky. Maybe several pieces with the like-colored stones and some diamonds.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm not suggesting they would, or should, refuse such expensive gifts, but the fact that they live in a stratum of society in which such obscenely expensive gifts are given, highlights the difference between them and the majority of the population, many of whom are struggling financially. Though it has happened for millenia, attitudes have changed. On learning of such extravant gifts, some people who are not ardent monarchists but so far have not been actively republican, may well take the view that the relatively impotent monarchy has outlived its usefulness and should be dispensed with. Of course that would not mean that the 50 odd million pounds would go to the state's coffers, but the idea that those who already have so much are being given so much more might stick in the craw of some people, who, at the very least, will not get excited about these new baubles.
There are always jealous people, but it's not exclusive to monarchy. Although Bill Gates, who lives just a few miles from me, has dropped to only second richest man in the world according to Forbes, he gets plenty of money and expensive gifts aside from his billions, and doesn't really do anything for the U.S., and likely manages to find ways to avoid paying tax as much as possible. Aside from producing new versions of Microsoft Office that then we all have to shell out money to buy. He hasn't been run out of Seattle on a rail yet, though I am sure there are plenty of people in Washington State who would like it if he were, when our unemployment rate is very high right now. Simply getting rid of the monarchy would not change the fact that some people are rich, and some suffer financially -- a fact in democracies and republics as well as monarchies.

I can't quite imagine that an entire type of government would be overthrown because they got an expensive gift.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If anyone is going to be that petty and irrational over wedding gifts, then there is nothing that is going to please them. Kate and William have no control over what gifts they will receive and what they do with them after they receive them will be up to them.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon View Post
Not to say the article was correct, but in the article linked to about Camilla's jewelry gifts, it says that all gifts revert back to the monarch to either be added to the Crown Jewels or given to the next PoW or put in storage (otherwise she would owe taxes on them)
And it may very well be the same for the jewels that Kate receives.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
Bill Gates ........... gets plenty of money and expensive gifts aside from his billions, and doesn't really do anything for the U.S......
Have you ever heard of the Gates Foundation?

Quote:
I can't quite imagine that an entire type of government would be overthrown because they got an expensive gift.
No, of course not. But the British RF only retains its position because the British people will it to be so. The RF does not govern Britain, the people do, through their elected representatives which make up the parliament.

I'm merely saying that there will be people in the UK who won't like it, and if enough members of the public don't like what the RF does, their position will be at risk. In 2009 an independent poll commissioned by the BBC revealed that almost 20% of Britains favoured doing away with the monarchy, and other polls have put the percentage much higher. There are many valid arguments against the monarchy, but this is not the place to state them.

Britain is certainly not going to become a republic over this wedding gift, but it epitomises the wealth and privilege enjoyed by the RF, and that is indeed a valid issue. This upcoming wedding will draw attention to such issues and the republicans will be taking advantage of it to promote their message. Republic | Royal wedding
Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the Gates Foundation?

No, of course not. But the British RF only retains its position because the British people will it to be so. The RF does not govern Britain, the people do, through their elected representatives which make up the parliament.

I'm merely saying that there will be people in the UK who won't like it, and if enough members of the public don't like what the RF does, their position will be at risk. In 2009 an independent poll commissioned by the BBC revealed that almost 20% of Britains favoured doing away with the monarchy, and other polls have put the percentage much higher. There are many valid arguments against the monarchy, but this is not the place to state them.

Britain is certainly not going to become a republic over this wedding gift, but it epitomises the wealth and privilege enjoyed by the RF, and that is indeed a valid issue. This upcoming wedding will draw attention to such issues and the republicans will be taking advantage of it to promote their message. Republic | Royal wedding
As they would do with anything regarding the monarchy if that is the mindset. There is nothing Kate and William can do about it and it shouldn't be put on them on their wedding day. As I said before, they have no control over what people choose to give them as gifts just as they have no control over those that resent the fact that they are getting them.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Aristocracy

She could always divid the diamonds into matching colors and put them with regular white diamonds and end up with different colored jewelry and such for different occasions. With that many high quality diamonds, the sky is the limit for what she could do with it
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

British Airways plot strike on Royal Wedding | The Sun |News

Not only are the tube workers threatening strike action to disrupt the wedding so are the BA workers (which would also affect incoming tourists).

This is all part of ongoing campaigns from the union movement in response to the economic situation and the way the government is dealing with them - the recent student riots are part of the same problem - reaction to the government dealing with the legacy of the Labour government.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham
So ... if it's true, should they refuse the gift?
Well I think they should at least add them to the guest list.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Majesty

Exactly. Diplomacy is part of this as well. It's not just two rich young people getting married. It's the future king and his future queen consort. If they refused the gift, the UK's Middle-Eastern allies would be hugely offended. I don't remember there being a big hew-and-cry when Diana received all those Middle-Eastern jewels. The comments were all about how beautifully she wore them.

Quote:
If anyone is going to be that petty and irrational over wedding gifts, then there is nothing that is going to please them. Kate and William have no control over what gifts they will receive and what they do with them after they receive them will be up to them.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Exactly. Diplomacy is part of this as well. It's not just two rich young people getting married. It's the future king and his future queen consort. If they refused the gift, the UK's Middle-Eastern allies would be hugely offended. I don't remember there being a big hew-and-cry when Diana received all those Middle-Eastern jewels. The comments were all about how beautifully she wore them.

That was 30 years ago and the world has moved on. Ostentatious displays of wealth, by the royals simply emphasises to the people the differences between them, particularly in times of crisis for the country and the world.

Add to this that Britain is still engaged in a war in the Middle East and it tends to be people from Middle Eastern backgrounds who carry out the terrorist attacks (even if they are home-grown terrorists) it could be seen as accepting gifts from people with whom the country has major problems. Are the royals being bought off to stop them asking pertinent questions about foreign policy, immigration, the war etc???? I am not saying they are but that is a perception and interpretation that anti-royals could ask.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
All I can is WOW ... Those are some amazing jewels! Lucky Kate!
That collection is simply beautiful! I really can't see Kate wearing a lot of glitter or big stones though until she gets older. She's got the kind of natural beauty that smaller stones seem to enhance. It would be nice to have a rainbow tiara made from all of those stones to add to the royal collection such as some tiaras were made for the Queen Mum, Queen Mary and Queen Victoria etc.. something to be passed on.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That was 30 years ago and the world has moved on. Ostentatious displays of wealth, by the royals simply emphasises to the people the differences between them, particularly in times of crisis for the country and the world.

Add to this that Britain is still engaged in a war in the Middle East and that it tends to be people from Middle Eastern backgrounds who carry out the terrorist attacks (even if they are home-grown terrorists) it could be seen as accepting gifts from people with whom the country has major problems. Are the royals being bought off to stop them asking pertinent questions about foreign policy, immigration, the war etc???? I am not saying they are but that is a perception and interpretation that anti-royals could ask.
Perhaps the idea is to stress that the terrorist that are doing these attacks, wherever they are from, are not to be identified with the nation in itself and its policies. Andrew is still very much involved with trade relations in that area and to be honest, the more open communication there is, the better things will be. The Middle East has been known for its fabulous gifts of gems and such so why should things be different now with William and Kate? Saying such a gift is a "badge of honor" tells me that they value the relations with the UK and its royal family as it has been for centuries.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Lucky Kate, I'm not surprised that they are going to give her a gift.

Camilla didn't refuse her gift, why should Kate?

Royal wedding: Pubs to open until 1am two days in a row to celebrate | Mail Online
Quote:
I sympathize with the UK's economic situation, just as I sympathize with ours (US), however William and Kate are not responsible for pensions being reduced, university student tuition's raised or a system that necessitates wait lists for medical services. Every Royal bride has received obscenely expensive gifts, and Kate should be no different. It's petty and ridiculous to put the entire country's problems on William and Kate's young shoulders for their special day by expecting them to refuse expensive gifts, not to mention it would be considered an insult of major proportions to do so.

As the article states, the owner was originally approached for the purchase of them for Prince Charles' and Diana's wedding, however it was unsuccessful due to the owner not wanting to part with them at that time. He now is ready to sell them, but only if they are given to Prince William and Kate as a gift for their wedding. It's an odd stipulation if you ask me, but that is the alleged conditions.

The bottom line is if the original purchase had been successful, these jewels would be part of William and Harry's inheritance from Diana anyway.
I absolutely agree with you ... unfortunately I did not make it clear that my comment about refusing the gift was sarcasm. It really is a bit ridiculous to place all the woes or agendas of various people on the backs of William and Kate. It really is getting very petty.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding