Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my that's a lot of people!
I hope they invite Michelle Obama...I don't understand why they wouldn't. If you can invite the Beckhams you can surely invite the president and first lady.

I wonder too if they'll invite some celebs because of their fame. I believe there were some celebs invited to Diana's funeral who didn't really know her personally...so maybe Kate and Will will do the same?

I hope they don't invite the Beckhams, celebrities would IMO have to have known the royal couple personally for a long time. It would be nice to see Michelle Obama, doubt Barack will make an appearance. :)

I hope they invite Michelle Obama...I don't understand why they wouldn't.

I don't understand why they would.:ermm:

I wonder too if they'll invite some celebs because of their fame. I believe there were some celebs invited to Diana's funeral who didn't really know her personally...so maybe Kate and Will will do the same?

So let me understand...he should invite celebrities just because celebrities were at his mother's funeral...innovative:)

Isn't it going to be just friends, members of other royal houses and acquaintances from their working lives/patronages invited. This isn't considered a state occasion, so they are under no obligation to invite heads of states and such, right?

Oh my that's a lot of people!
I hope they invite Michelle Obama...I don't understand why they wouldn't. If you can invite the Beckhams you can surely invite the president and first lady.

That really isn't many, when you consider how many people the RF may feel obligated to invite.

I don't see why they'd ask Michelle Obama (although she does seem to be angling for an invitation). She's not a personal friend or anything.
William is at least acquainted with the Beckhams.

Celebs were invited to Diana's funeral because they were in her address book, and thats how much of the guest list was derived. Some were friends and others were associates.

Most weddings have to deal with the families of the bride and groom as well as their friends (and those of their parents)...add to this government officials and other royal famillies...I think any celebrities that will be in attendance will be those who have a relationship with Catherine and William.

Nancy Reagan attended Charles and Diana's wedding (I think Andrew and Sarah's as well) and Hiliary Clinton attended Diana's funeral. If they decide to invite heads of state, than I would imagine Michelle Obama will be in attendance or at least the Ambassador from the United States.

Last edited:
This announcement makes me wondering - will there be any role left for Catherine's brother James?

I understand he's a cake maker; maybe he could make the cake!

That really isn't many, when you consider how many people the RF may feel obligated to invite.

I don't see why they'd ask Michelle Obama (although she does seem to be angling for an invitation). She's not a personal friend or anything.
William is at least acquainted with the Beckhams.

First Ladies have been invited to some previous royal weddings, even if they weren't acquainted with the couple. Regardless, I think it's up to the tone they want to set for the wedding and whether they want to invite foreign heads of state or not. Michelle has said she hasn't received an invitation (or save the date or anything along those lines), so I would assume they've decided not to go that route.

Personally, I'm not overly-interested in the guest list in terms of celebrities and such. It's a wedding, not a red carpet - I'm really most interested to see the bride and the groom. I hope they are surrounded by the people they want to be there, be they celebrities or not.

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps Beatrice or Eugenie will be asked to do a reading at the service.
I don't think it's any big deal, if Mummy York gets an invite that will be more than enough to keep Papa York, Beatrice and Eugenie happy.

With the way things are looking right now, Pippa will be the only adult bridesmaid or maid of honor. This makes me think too that William will only have one supporter.. his brother Harry. Other than those two adults it looks like they're going with children for the rest of the bridal party.

From MRSj

I agree with those who said Catherine is guarded but also I understand why, I just hope we get to see her 'open' a bit and embrace some of the publicity/public ness of her new role as she grows into it. Hopefully she becomes a bit less guarded....also I really wish she'd smile a bit more. :)

I'd like to see her smile a bit more too; in those pics taken a couple of days ago with the Duchess of Cornwall, she did not look at all happy when looking straight at the cameraperson. Now that's she's to become an 'official Royal', it's really part of the job to look pleasant at all times, if possible. But i do note in latest pics of Charlene Wittstock, who did not look cheerful at all earlier, she's now mostly pictured smiling, and does look so much more happier. I daresay it takes time to become used to the cameras.

Isabella said:
First Ladies have been invited to some previous royal weddings, even if they weren't acquainted with the couple. Regardless, I think it's up to the tone they want to set for the wedding and whether they want to invite foreign heads of state or not. Michelle has said she hasn't received an invitation (or save the date or anything along those lines), so I would assume they've decided not to go that route.

Personally, I'm not overly-interested in the guest list in terms of celebrities and such. It's a wedding, not a red carpet - I'm really most interested to see the bride and the groom. I hope they are surrounded by the people they want to be there, be they celebrities or not.

I agree, it is their day and they should have those who they want there in attendance and not necessarily those who they feel obligated to invite. In the case of the Obamas (not to "pick on them" or anything!! :) ) - if they, for example, have connections through charities and want them at the wedding that is one thing. But this is the wedding of the heir to the heir, different from the wedding of the child of the sovereign.

They send out "save the dates" to other royals and Head of States. Then they send out the invitations which will have just been sent out or will be soon. I'm still hoping that Michelle Obama gets an invite, I know the Queen wld want to invite her. I would just love to see her in a nice tifter. One can hope...

I don't see the Queen inviting the Obamas. She met them one time which hardly constitute a personal relationship. William has never met them. I also don't see her inviting other Heads of State since this is not a State occasion. Prince Charles and Diana's wedding was a different story.

I don't see the Queen inviting the Obamas. She met them one time which hardly constitute a personal relationship. William has never met them. I also don't see her inviting other Heads of State since this is not a State occasion. Prince Charles and Diana's wedding was a different story.

Well, they might not have a personal relationship...but enough of one that the Obamas (Michelle and the girls) were allowed to do a personal tour via an invitation of the Queen the last time they were in England. So we shall see.

Though I agree that this is not the heirs wedding so things might be different and there is no need to invite heads of state. But we need to look at it this way...the heir's heir is getting married. And if one is hoping that this is the heir's heir ONLY marriage (as I am) than when else are you going to get a chance to do this? But if you invite one do you invite others? With that in mind, I still say if anyone is invited it will be the Ambassador, and he isn't going to any reception/buffets. Just the wedding.

Sophie¿s little Lady Louise picked as royal bridesmaid | Mail Online

I like the choices but I must question the need for the following comment: 'They don’t want to offend anyone and don’t want to leave anyone out.’ They are including Wessex, Linley and Chatto along with Pippa's family - fine but let's not make a comment like not wanting to leave anyone out when one branch of the family are being left out apparently. The Yorks - I know they are older and I am not surprised but it is the comment in the article I am taking issue with and not the apparent decision of William and Kate.
Iluvbertie,
Beatrice and Eugenie York might as well not exist and that is a sad commentary on that situation..as this was perfect opportunity to have them.Lady Louise is a kind gesture and loving one. The Queen had bridesmaids that were all the same age. - young ladies etc...... I have to wonder whether Sarah will even show up-
The decision to possibly have Catherine's sis there as bridesmaid might have called for a unified field in age-for the bridesmaids; this is all over the age board- mostly children and teenagers her sis may look like a sore thumb.. quite a mix-yet an opportunity to have Beatrice and Eugenie to participate for once and to possibly mend fences alas!
I do not see a peacemaker of initiative in the wedding arena.. one to unify rather than divide.
These choices ingratiate the couple to the status quo and the notions that they are doing things their own way and with a hint of iconclasm is but a fallacy.Those are popular choices and not of precedence really. However it is their wedding and they are doing it as they please.
It might be regarded as of form contemptuous selection and exclusion..and continuing the favoritism that prevails JMO_ hard to decipher- I will be happily surprised if Michelle Obama receives an invite. I also take issue with the comment in the article etc.. have to agree with you and thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Last edited:
The decision to have Catherine's sis there as bridesmaid might have called for a unified field in age-for the bridesmaids; this is all over the age board- mostly children and teenagers her sis may look like a sore thumb.. quite a mix-yet an opportunity to have Beatrice and Eugenie to participate for once.

I don't think we really know for certain who is going to be in the wedding party yet. Lady Louise seems a cert, and Margarita, and Pippa, and Harry, but as no full list has yet been released, there could be room for the Yorks. Didn't one of them do a reading at Peter's wedding? Not everyone has to be a bridesmaid.

- I will be happily surprised if Michelle Obama receives an invite. I also take issue with the comment in the article etc.. have to agree with you and thanks for bringing that to our attention.

All right, I'll be the one to say it...I can't stand the Obamas and hope they get snubbed by the Queen!!:lol:

I wrote "happily" surprised as I do suspect there will be no invite for them but for someone else of high ranking American stature and official capacity. I do not think the Obamas are that petty[whether liked or not] that if they do not receive an invite it would become an issue.

Jaya said:
Iluvbertie,
Beatrice and Eugenie might as well not exist and that is a sad commentary on that situation..as this was perfect opportunity to have them.Lady Louise is a kind gesture and loving one. The Queen had bridesmaids that were all the same age. - young ladies etc...... I have to wonder whether Sarah will even show up-
The decision to have Catherine's sis there as bridesmaid might have called for a unified field in age-for the bridesmaids; this is all over the age board- mostly children and teenagers her sis may look like a sore thumb.. quite a mix-yet an opportunity to have Beatrice and Eugenie to participate for once.
This is a form of contemptuous selection and exclusion..and continuing the favoritism that prevails JMO_ hard to decipher- I will be happily surprised if Michelle Obama receives an invite. I also take issue with the comment in the article etc.. have to agree with you and thanks for bringing that to our attention.

You never know, one of the girls might give a reading (like at Peter & Autumn's wedding) as was suggested in an earlier post.
I do find it odd that the wedding is in such a grand venue and that they don't have a large wedding party. IMO I think it would have been nice to make The York girls bridesmaids and perhaps give Pippa a different role, as she's quite old to be a royal bridesmaid if you look back to the ages of previous bridesmaids. Maybe she could do a reading instead?? :shrug:

This thread is not going to turn into a bashing debate about the Obamas.

The Queen has shown to be quite keen on the Obama's so thats why I think she wld want them there. The precedence is that the first lady's do attend important royal British events.

Personally, I hate older ladies as bridesmaids, for a bride like Kate who will need some help with her dress, one or two older capable ladies is all that is needed. Im a fan of having mostly children in the bridal party. I like where Kate is going with this, having Pippa and then Lady Louise and bunch of little munchkins. I thought P.Victoria did it the best.

Well, they might not have a personal relationship...but enough of one that the Obamas (Michelle and the girls) were allowed to do a personal tour via an invitation of the Queen the last time they were in England. So we shall see.

Though I agree that this is not the heirs wedding so things might be different and there is no need to invite heads of state. But we need to look at it this way...the heir's heir is getting married. And if one is hoping that this is the heir's heir ONLY marriage (as I am) than when else are you going to get a chance to do this? But if you invite one do you invite others? With that in mind, I still say if anyone is invited it will be the Ambassador, and he isn't going to any reception/buffets. Just the wedding.

From what I have read, she got permission to tour the palace with her daughters. To me, that means she asked and was granted permission. Not that they queen personally invited her and her daughters to tour the palace on her own accord. That to me does not imply a relationship beyond courtesy being extended to a First Lady.

I agree that if she invites one Head of State, then it would offend others if they are not invited.

:previous: I've heard differently but like anything I guess it up to personal interpretation.

But again, this thread WILL NOT be thrown off track into a debate about the Obamas.

Back on topic: I don't think the York girls will be offended that they are not a part of the wedding party. After all, they weren't in Peter's wedding (other than Eugenie doing the reading) and they appeared to be quite at ease.

The Queen has shown to be quite keen on the Obama's so thats why I think she wld want them there. The precedence is that the first lady's do attend important royal British events.

Personally, I hate older ladies as bridesmaids, for a bride like Kate who will need some help with her dress, one or two older capable ladies is all that is needed. Im a fan of having mostly children in the bridal party. I like where Kate is going with this, having Pippa and then Lady Louise and bunch of little munchkins. I thought P.Victoria did it the best.

Barbara Bush, Hillary Clinton, and Laura Bush never attended any important royal British events that I can recall. There is no precedence for US First Ladies attending any foreign royal events. Just because it's happened once or twice in the past doesn't mean that's the standard way things are done. I know Nancy Reagan attended a couple functions, but beyond the Reagan administration, I can't think of a single one.

The Queen has shown to be quite keen on the Obama's so thats why I think she wld want them there. The precedence is that the first lady's do attend important royal British events. .

I don't see any evidence of her being "keen" on them other than what the media chooses to exagerate. Did she enjoy meeting them? Sure, why not? They are charming people and she has has always been very courteous to all the US Presidents and First Ladies. Does that mean that she has developed a personal relationship with the Obamas? I don't see any evidence of that.

Royal weddings are very different than other weddings in that they seem to have the tradition of using children rather than adults for bridesmaids. I never understood it myself.

Last edited:
:previous: Actually Hiliary Clinton attended Diana's funeral. The weddings of Edward/Sophie and Charles/Camilla were very low key so there was no need for Barbara or Laura Bush to attend.

Laura Bush attended the Queen Mother's funeral. Hillary Clinton was at Diana's.

I forgot about that! So there is a small precedent. I guess we shall see on April 29th.

:previous: Actually Hiliary Clinton attended Diana's funeral.

I did say "that I can recall." I don't keep a mental Rolodex of all the comings and goings of US First Ladies, but I will stand by my point that there's no precedence for it, and that the Queen is not obligated or somehow expected to invite either one or both Obamas to this wedding. I should hope that if invited, Michelle has the good taste to decline. Given the economic situation in this country, our first lady and/or President jaunting off to attend a royal wedding is NOT going to look good to a lot of people and there is an election next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom