The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 AM
Nobility

Crazy thought (more like a pipe dream)... How close are the Spanish and British royal families? Any chance of Leonor being in the wedding? I adore her!

I've seen pictures of William next to King Juan Carlos and protocol dictates that he invite people of like status. So...

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Royal Highness

Where will she start from? For Diana, it was quite a long carriage ride from Clarence House to St. Paul's. On and on this ride went as I recall... One tend to forget that these carriages are not as comfortable as a modern car and depending on the distance of the trip can make the bride quite uncomfortable. Especially if she is allergic to horses as Catherine is allegedly.
Will Catherine start from Kensington Palace? Or from a private home of friends?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
Crazy thought (more like a pipe dream)... How close are the Spanish and British royal families? Any chance of Leonor being in the wedding? I adore her!

I've seen pictures of William next to King Juan Carlos and protocol dictates that he invite people of like status. So...
William's grandfather Philip is a cousin of queen Sofia of Spain, so they are related. Charles and Diana spent a holiday at Mallorca with the Spanish Royals when William was a boy, so I guess he knows them well.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post

If William is to invite people of like status he will have a lot of children at the wedding - those who are 2nd in line e.g. Christian, Leonor etc.

I doubt if any foreign royal children will play a part at all but some heirs might be there.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Courtier

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Get Kate Middleton to the church on time
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why would it present the wrong message?

Can it not just be that Kate doesn't want to arrive at her wedding in a carriage?
Quote:
BBC royal correspondent Daniella Relph said the decision to have Miss Middleton travel to the ceremony by car rather than glass carriage was a real break with tradition.

This was Miss Middleton's idea, as she wanted to arrive at Westminster Abbey in a more low-key way and not have the "pomp and lavishness" that comes with arriving in a carriage, our correspondent added.
I suspect that this is the 'wrong message' (lavishness in tough economic times) that they do not want to send out and therefore chose a car instead of a carriage.
It's in the BBC article...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If William is to invite people of like status he will have a lot of children at the wedding - those who are 2nd in line e.g. Christian, Leonor etc.

I doubt if any foreign royal children will play a part at all but some heirs might be there.

Is there already something known about the guest list?

I fear that nearly no foreign royal persons (CP and CPss of the other European countries) will be there. The Windsors seem to have a strange relationship to other royal houses. They are not linked closely to the other royals. So nobody of them was at Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding. Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Harry were not at Victoria's wedding. William was hardly ever asked to be godparent of a royal baby. (He is only godfather of Constantine Alexios - as far as i know).

I also remember something about this holiday on Mallorca over 20 years ago - something about Diana flirting with Juan Carlos. The holiday ended in a bad atmosphere.

And William and Catherine want the wedding to be private. At least to the dinner and dancing in the evening the other royals are not invited. (Quote (announced yesterday): "The Prince of Wales will give a private dinner, followed by dancing, at Buckingham Palace in the evening, for the couple and their close friends and family.").
Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
That's what I was wondering too!
I don't see how using a car implies more austerity in bad economic times; it's not like they have to buy a special carriage, it's already available.

I hope they change their minds about this.
I think it is because a car symbolizes practical use and swift transportation, where a carriage symbolizes glitter and a grand show. I think it is more about the display of symbolism than the actual use of whatever vehicle.

I don't think they'll change their minds about this and, for me, they don't have to.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Where will she start from? For Diana, it was quite a long carriage ride from Clarence House to St. Paul's. On and on this ride went as I recall... One tend to forget that these carriages are not as comfortable as a modern car and depending on the distance of the trip can make the bride quite uncomfortable. Especially if she is allergic to horses as Catherine is allegedly.
Will Catherine start from Kensington Palace? Or from a private home of friends?
Catherine and her father are leaving from BP, as are the Queen and the rest of the royals.
William and Harry plus two other supporters are leaving from St James'.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post
Is there already something known about the guest list?

I fear that nearly no foreign royal persons (CP and CPss of the other European countries) will be there. The Windsors seem to have a strange relationship to other royal houses. They are not linked closely to the other royals. So nobody of them was at Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding. Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Harry were not at Victoria's wedding. William was hardly ever asked to be godparent of a royal baby. (He is only godfather of Constantine Alexios - as far as i know).

I also remember something about this holiday on Mallorca over 20 years ago - something about Diana flirting with Juan Carlos. The holiday ended in a bad atmosphere.

And William and Catherine want the wedding to be private. At least to the dinner and dancing in the evening the other royals are not invited. (Quote (announced yesterday): "The Prince of Wales will give a private dinner, followed by dancing, at Buckingham Palace in the evening, for the couple and their close friends and family.").
The Earl and Countess of Wessex have represented the Queen at the royal weddings for the last couple of years.

In regards to Charles and Camilla's marriage to William and Kate's there really no need for comparison for a couple of reasons 1) this was Charle's 2nd marriage 2) at his 1st marriage there were tons of Royal families represented and 3) William is not the heir but the heir's heir.

So if any comparisons should be made it should be (and this is a VERY different time) it would be the wedding of George, Duke of York to Princess Mary of Teck. When George was the heir's heir (grandson of Queen Victoria and son of Prince Edward of Wales).

For the record, the following royals attended Charles and Camilla's blessing:
It certainly is NOT as grand and varied as Victoria of Sweden (or Frederik, Felipe or WA) but it was a blessing and not a wedding. So again another
  • HM The King of Bahrain
  • TM King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Yugoslavia
  • TRH Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands
  • Radu, Prince of Hohenzollern-Veringen and Princess Margarita of Romania
  • Prince Turki bin Faisal Al Saud and Princess Nouf bint Fahd bin Khalid Al Saud
  • Prince Bandar bin Sultan
reason why itsn't a valid comparison IMO.

There will be some royals there...I just wouldn't expect a lot of Kings and Queen's. With the exception of the exiled King of Greece who is William's godfather.

Face it folks, we are living in different times. Its not 1981, 1986 or even when Edward married. Things will not be done the same. But things were done different in 1981 than when the Queen married in 1947.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I don't think they'll change their minds about this and, for me, they don't have to.
I thought the same.
It is totally allright for me that she will use a car and not the carriage. I really don't get why this decision is such a big problem.

I actually want them to do everything different compared to 1981. I find it important to keep the memory of Diana as a "fairytale princess" and "victim" of a bad marriage out of this new wedding and marriage. It is probably very awkward for Catherine to be compared to Diana all the time. So i liked their decision not to marry in St. Pauls.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The Earl and Countess of Wessex have represented the Queen at the royal weddings for the last couple of years.

In regards to Charles and Camilla's marriage to William and Kate's there really no need for comparison for a couple of reasons 1) this was Charle's 2nd marriage 2) at his 1st marriage there were tons of Royal families represented and 3) William is not the heir but the heir's heir.(...)
I knew this. But i always had the impression that the British royals are not very close to the other royal families. I think the British royals are close to the Greece royals and to the British nobility and gentry. But even when Prince Nikolaos married last summer, not even the second row of British royals where there (e.g. Harry, Edward and Sophie or Beatrice/Eugenie. Just Lady Gabriella was there).
So although the Windsor family is closely related to every other European royal family, they do not seem to have a lot of contact.
So i think, we will see a few foreign royal in April, but there will not be so many compared to Victoria's wedding.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Serene Highness

Prince and Princess Michael were there, too
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Well the British royals certainly aren't as close as their fellow European royals I agree.
But we don't know how close or not close they are.

I mean, I have heard that some of the royals have made private visits to England and met the Queen. But of course that is just hearsay...no definitite proof.

I think we also need to remember the generation gap.

William is technically around the age of Victoria but Victoria as the next Queen of Sweden is really Charles's peer in regards to rank. In fact all of the big royal weddings of the last 10 years have dealt with Charles's peers.

Also, a lot of the Queens and Kings that came to Victoria's wedding...literally have relationships with her (godmothers, 2nd cousins, mentors) and have just watched her grown up and met her on several occassions. Its like the neighborhood kid that everyone is particularly fond of and her parents invite the other neighborhood parents to the wedding.

Now if Carl Gustaf's father hadn't died, and instead had the opportunity to be King (and with all things remaining the same) I wonder if Victoria would have had the opportunity to lead a quieter (and more private) life. Cause technically, she would have been as equal to William. But that is the topic of another thread.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

I was watching the videos of A & S wedding day, and the route from the Abbey up to BP seemed like a very short one. is it really that close or they edited the video and I didn't realize it??
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
I was watching the videos of A & S wedding day, and the route from the Abbey up to BP seemed like a very short one. is it really that close or they edited the video and I didn't realize it??
It's only one tube station away and if you want to, you can walk through St. James' park - it's not far. But Catherine will detour a bit, along the Mall, through Admirality Arch, along Whitehall, via Parliament Square to the Abbey. It's the way the queen takes when she opens parliament, so I guess the security measurements are firmly planned through and trained.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

A sign of the times. April will be here soon enough.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I just remembered that kate is allergic to horses! Perhaps she didn't want to take a horse carriage to the church incase she had a reaction during the wedding, she could risk having a reaction after the wedding though because taking anti-histamines wldnt be an issue then.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

Isn't the glass coach closed?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Isn't the glass coach closed?
Yes it's closed. I actually doubt that they will use an open carriage after the Wedding given that it's End of April.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding