The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Ugh, what a let down! British royal weddings were known for their pomp and circumstance, and the carriage procession played a huge part of that. Without the grand carriage processions, this becomes a wedding just like any other royal house could put together. I guess on the other hand they wanted to do this to not be so "showey" during these tough times.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariana Pazza View Post
While Kitty Spencer is a pretty girl and from what I can see (and read) loves the spotlight....the day will be about Kate and William. You will see some pics of her but that's about it.

And I think that William is going to make sure that his family (both Windsor and Spencer's ) are reflected in this wedding. Why must everything be a competition? I dont' see William making it an issue. Honestly, it seems like the public can't move on.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Ugh, what a let down! British royal weddings were known for their pomp and circumstance, and the carriage procession played a huge part of that. Without the grand carriage processions, this becomes a wedding just like any other royal house could put together. I guess on the other hand they wanted to do this to not be so "showey" during these tough times.
There's still going to be at least one carriage procession, according to the information released today:

"The couple, now married, will return along a Processional Route in a carriage procession to Buckingham Palace. The route will include Parliament Square, Whitehall, Horse Guards Parade and The Mall."
Old 01-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
There's still going to be at least one carriage procession, according to the information released today:

"The couple, now married, will return along a Processional Route in a carriage procession to Buckingham Palace. The route will include Parliament Square, Whitehall, Horse Guards Parade and The Mall."
For some people, that just isn't enough. They want, expect, almost demand the pomp and pageantry that they have come to expect from British Royal Weddings.
Even the British have to take certain things into account and reconsider stuff.

It's been years since the last royal wedding that really mattered in case of being so near the throne and times have sufficiently changed. I suppose the decision of what to keep and what to axe is always difficult.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

Luckily! I'm happy about that, I suspect it will be similar to Princess Alexandras then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
For some people, that just isn't enough. They want, expect, almost demand the pomp and pageantry that they have come to expect from British Royal Weddings.
Even the British have to take certain things into account and reconsider stuff.
I'm definitely one of those people! lol

One more thing, I noticed the wedding will start at 11 as opposed to 11:30, I guess they'll both be having an early night!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

As if the extra half hour would have helped I think they will be too nervous to sleep
Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bugger, I just realized the wedding will be at a most inconvenient time for me! Shame about the glass carriage if you ask me, this is one of the few occasions it can be used!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

It's all to do with our new-found "austerity" - a glass carriage would present the wrong message.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
It's all to do with our new-found "austerity" - a glass carriage would present the wrong message.
Why would it present the wrong message?

Can it not just be that Kate doesn't want to arrive at her wedding in a carriage?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I've heard that they're thinking of allowing photos of the "arrivals" to the BP dinner.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why would it present the wrong message?

That's what I was wondering too!
I don't see how using a car implies more austerity in bad economic times; it's not like they have to buy a special carriage, it's already available.

I hope they change their minds about this.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
I've heard that they're thinking of allowing photos of the "arrivals" to the BP dinner.
Oh I hope so.....
Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If Kate chose to not arrive in the carriage then that's fine.
I completely agree. The glass coach is notoriously uncomfortable and feels out of character for the lower-key event that William and Kate say they want. Recent royal brides (Victoria, Mary, Letizia, Mathilde, Sophie etc.) have all arrived by car and I really don't see what the big deal is.

So many of Kate's choices will be dictated by protocol- let her have some of these smaller details be of her own choosing.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
I completely agree. The glass coach is notoriously uncomfortable and feels out of character for the lower-key event that William and Kate say they want. Recent royal brides (Victoria, Mary, Letizia, Mathilde, Sophie etc.) have all arrived by car and I really don't see what the big deal is.

So many of Kate's choices will be dictated by protocol- let her have some of these smaller details be of her own choosing.
Why...would we let some details be of her own choosing...one would think she was the one getting married

Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Nobility

Touché!! Your response made my day!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Ok so I'm hearing now that the fine details haven't been arranged yet but it could either be inside the palace our out in the Quadrangle. We'll have more details soon though from what I'm hearing. I'm also hearing we'll get more details in the morning. But I'm almost certain from my sources that we won't get pics from the party the most we'll get is arrivals whether that be the guests arriving inside BP or outside BP at the Quadrangle we have no idea yet but should very soon.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I admire her for deciding to arrive in a car. She is an upper middle class woman, not a princess or an aristocrat. I think she is proud of her family and suspect she thinks it is appropriate for her to travel to her wedding in a style befitting an upper middle class woman. After the service she will be a Royal Highness, the future Queen, and it will then be appropriate for her to travel with her husband in a style befitting her new Royal status.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is the glass carriage ever used for any other events?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
I believe this image of Diana arriving in the Glass Coach put her off! No way could Kate have emulated this.

OK, she looks like the Abominable Snowman! I hope Kate doesn't have a veil down over her face like this!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

For clarification:
I myself asked Richard from Daily Express about the reception
Quote:
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer:
@Kristinazzz9191 Again, I don't think they've worked out those details. It could be inside or out in the Quadrangle.
44 minutes ago

@Kristinazzz9191 Things may change but at the moment the best we can hope for is photographers inside the palace for arrivals.
1 hour ago
Another member asked:
Quote:
LaDolceVita150:
@RoyalReporter the dinner & reception means that we won't get the type of access that Victoria of Sweden allowed?

@LaDolceVita150 All "private".
In response to "going away" photos:
Quote:
@RoyalUniverse They won't be going away that night.
From DM: Talks about the details of the 2 receptions and the day in general.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding