The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Oh this is just as I thought - the use of cars (and rather lovely ones too) instead of carriages and then the Glass Carriage back to the Palace. It's a similar idea to almost all the other major royal weddings we have witnessed in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands and Spain and I am sure that the procession will be just as good. Princess Alexandra arrived at the Abbey by car and went back in the Glass carriage and her car had a glass roof so more could be seen, so I suspect the same car will be used. I like the idea of a proper dinner and dance for guests afterwards, so we may even be lucky enough to witness not only a balcony appearance in teh afternoon, but one in the evening too?!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Well, she is betrothed to the Heir Presumptive.
They used the glass coach for both Diana and Sarah Ferguson, and they were commoners too.

And the allergy shouldn't matter because the glass coach is enclosed.
Diana was from an aristocratic family...Lady Di, Earl Spencer & all that. Supposedly Sarah Ferguson also has some aristocratic links in her ancestry but she was pretty much a commoner in my mind, but back when she married it was, I think, a different time. You hadn't had the high profile divorces within the Royal family yet, there was a lot more respect paid to the whole idea of the Monarchy & all the pomp that went with it, people were probably less likely to moan about what everything was costing etc, just got carried away with it all whereas now everyone is more cynical, jaded, willing & able to moan about anything even if it isn't true.

Just different times altogether, I personally couldn't see it working if they used the carriage for Kate to arrive at the Church, leaving with William as his wife, perfect but not going to the Church when she'd still be Miss Catherine Middleton at that time.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Another take on the coming festivities.

Archbishop Of Canterbury Rowan Williams To Marry Prince William & Kate Middleton
Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Royal wedding: route Kate Middleton will take to Westminster Abbey revealed - Telegraph

Royal wedding: route Kate Middleton will take to Westminster Abbey revealed

Yeah, more info! I am loving that they will be on the balconey for even just a few moments- I wonder if that'll be surreal moment for her, in a day that may be filled with many surreal moments!!!! I am excited~
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Courtier

BBC News - Prince William and Kate Middleton reveal wedding plans

Quote:
The crowds of well-wishers gathered outside will no doubt be hoping for a very public kiss as happened when Charles and Diana married in 1981
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Well, she is betrothed to the Heir Presumptive.
They used the glass coach for both Diana and Sarah Ferguson, and they were commoners too.

And the allergy shouldn't matter because the glass coach is enclosed.
Diana was marrying the heir, and Sarah was yes marrying a man who was in Williams position. But if Kate doesn't want to go in the glass coach then it's her choice.
It obviously has nothing to do with horses, as she's travelling back to the palace in a carriage.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

I think it's a good thing that Catherine will travel to the Abbey by car and back to Buckingham Palace by coach.
These are modern times and I find it a symbolic gesture - the transformation from commoner to part of the Royal Family.

Of course some will be disappointed, but, as Zonk said, you can't please everyone.

Besides, the BBC says this about the choice for the car instead of the coach:
Quote:
BBC royal correspondent Daniella Relph said the decision to have Miss Middleton travel to the ceremony by car rather than glass carriage was a real break with tradition.
She said Clarence House felt it was the right way "to strike an appropriate note" because the royal family did not want the day to appear too lavish.
And, of course, a contrasting opinion:
Quote:
But Ingrid Seward, from Majesty magazine, told the BBC it was "a great shame" that the public would not get to see Miss Middleton en route to the abbey in a glass carriage as in previous royal weddings.
The Archbishop of Canterbury, that sounds really serious but I find it very nice.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know how soon they will announce titles? (that is if they will be givin new titles at all) it is on the wedding day, before, or after?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

so, what's the difference between a carriage and a coach ? is one open and the other one close?
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Coach and carriage are the same thing are they not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Does anyone know how soon they will announce titles? (that is if they will be givin new titles at all) it is on the wedding day, before, or after?
On the day presumably.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

That's what I though too, but some of the articles are reporting like she won't be doing it at all. weird.
perhaps they , like me, read only one part of the news
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Majesty

i don't think it was catherine's choice to go by car. sophie rhys jones and autumn philips (most recent last weddings of the BRF) did so as well. i guess it's safer and reflects protocol better. to me, this is not demeaning at all of what will be a wonderful wedding nevertheless. and those who want a carriage will have it on the way out. :)

i'm happy they have released more details, it's been quiet for a while! i wonder when kate's wedding designer will be revealed, if at all before the wedding like other houses did. was sophie's designer, for example, revealed before the wedding?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Majesty

I think it is a good idea to have a "2 stage" reception - a larger one just after the wedding for a bigger group of people, and then a smaller, more intimate dinner and dance for the family, close friends and probably other visiting royals.

I am presuming that if the wedding is at 11am, the couple should be back at BP by 1pm, allowing for a balcony appearance soon, and the end of the larger reception by say 4pm. They could then have the second event starting at say 8pm, and carrying on till late - the only concern is the length of the day for the couple and the guests.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Aristocracy

I still say Bogus on the no glass coach. I'll live....... but still very disappointed!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Palace announces details of royal wedding - CNN.com
Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Courtier

I think the car to church is suitable not only for Kate's position but especially for the time of year involved. It could easily be cold & rainy, as you'll recall Diana & Sarah both had mid-summer weddings, luckily sunny. So, the weather & security issues might be at the fore here -- warm, safe & dry, I say. And, if the weather is rainy, they might have to ride in an enclosed carriage back to the palace. I'm glad to get the update and can't wait for the next!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Gentry

Having her arrive by car makes sense and I'm sure that it'll be a "bubbletop"
Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Think it is the best idea for Kate to travel in a car - this as the BBC pointed out in this evenings news coverage is the 21st century and times have changed. There is less need for a showy pricey wedding. The car journey followed by the carriage procession reflects Kate's move from commoner to royalty.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristens View Post
Having her arrive by car makes sense and I'm sure that it'll be a "bubbletop"
Indeed, I really doubt it'll be a "standard" car, it'll probably be one of the ones the Royal family regularly use that has huge windows & what have you so everyone can see the occupant/s quite well & is spacious. It's not going to be like her Dad's range rover or something, lol!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love the fact that she arrives a commoner by car and leaves as a princess in a carriage....it's so romantic I think!!

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding