The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Courtier

How boring ... the GLASS COACH is what makes a Royal Wedding. A Car is not the same at all.

I suppose they will use the Open 1902 State Landau on the way back, but it is disappointing none the less about the Glass Coach.

Princess Alexandra arrives by Car to her wedding.

Princess Anne in the Glass Coach.

THE ROYAL COACHES

Royal wedding details revealed - News - Virgin Media

Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Which goes to show that the couple can't please everyone on THEIR wedding day.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if the couple used a carriage for both the arrival of the bride and the departure of the couple, I am sure we will get complaints about the extravagance of the occassion during these times of economic uncertainity.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
A CAR??? WHAT?? No carriage? Please Lord.... I hope this is just a rumour.........
It's come from the royal website, it's official.

Quote:
Could this be because of the attack of Prince Charles and Camilla?
Don't you think if it had anything to do with the attack on C&C they would avoid car journerys.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
A car makes perfect sense.

Catherine will enter the Abbey via a car procession as a commoner marrying the heir heir's.

And after the marriage, both the Duke and Duchess of Whatnot will leave in a carriage.
Indeed, exactly what I think. I was actually wondering how they were going to do the whole arrival to the church thing since if they had gone with her arriving in a carriage & having a full on procession to the church, I could easily see people being petty & getting uppity at a "commoner" being treated that way (let alone Kate who seems to have quite the following of vocal dislikers ready to pick on absolutely anything). I think rather like tiara wearing, you wait til you're actually married into the Royal Family (even if just by seconds/minutes) before getting all the fancy stuff like carriages, tiaras & Royal jewels etc.

Having a car to get her to the wedding is perfect as it's probably nicer for her as cars are what she's used to so won't cause any extra drama there on the day, probably safer & easier just doing 1 carriage ride (after the wedding) through London & to me it sort of is a symbol of her entering the church a commoner & leaving a full on senior member of the Royal Family. I like it.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Majesty

I think the car ride to the Abbey is perfectly fine for Catherine. The route seems along Whitehall and up The Mall seems fine too.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
But since when has a Royal Wedding had the Bride arrive in a car? Could this be because of the attack of Prince Charles and Camilla?

I was looking forward to the glass coach like Diana and Sarah had..........
I believe it's because Catherine is allergic to horses.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
I believe it's because Catherine is allergic to horses.
She is allergic to horses but since she will be using them on the way to the Palace, I think that is a non issue.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Nobility

11:00:00 a.m. Friday April 29, 2011 in Europe/London converts to
06:00:00 a.m. Friday April 29, 2011 in America/New_York
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She is allergic to horses but since she will be using them on the way to the Palace, I think that is a non issue.
You're right! sorry I didn't see that part before.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator

That's okay

I think the car is more fitting for a commoner and the carriage for a new royal. Plus, if Catherine has issues with horses...William will be with her when she is in the carriage

Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Courtier

The Prince of Wales - The wedding of HRH Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton - an update
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
That's okay

I think the car is more fitting for a commoner and the carriage for a new royal. Plus, if Catherine has issues with horses...William will be with her when she is in the carriage
yeah! I actually like this setting more!

also the car allows a better view of the bride. Which will be nice specially for those that will go there to see her.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royal route revealed: Palace unveils plans for Kate and William's wedding day - and they'll have two receptions | Mail Online
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm so disappointed! Anybody can arrive in a car!
I also wanted the glass coach.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Until she marries, Kate is an anybody?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

Once inside the Palace, the Queen will give a reception for the couple and guests drawn from the congregation representing the couple's official and private lives.

So perhaps they will make more of a state affair than some have predicted.

With 2 receptions I can see them inviting other Royal Houses to the wedding as well as personal friends.

btw, what about the Honeymoon? April is not a very warm month, so I assume Australia would be a Good Call :)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Until she marries, Kate is an anybody?

Well, she is betrothed to the Heir Presumptive.
They used the glass coach for both Diana and Sarah Ferguson, and they were commoners too.

And the allergy shouldn't matter because the glass coach is enclosed.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
How boring ... the GLASS COACH is what makes a Royal Wedding. A Car is not the same at all.

I suppose they will use the Open 1902 State Landau on the way back, but it is disappointing none the less about the Glass Coach.
Although the glass carriage is certainly more regal and perfect for a royal bride, it isn't practical due to security concerns. Kate will of course have security on the route, however if anyone had in their minds to harm her before she marries into the RF or disrupt the route to delay the wedding, she would be far better protected in a car than in a horse drawn carriage, and she would be able to get away much faster.

Once they are married everyone will expect to see them so the open carriage. I hope they have a car following in the procession in the event there are demonstrations since they will be rather vulnerable.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Courtier

Yeah I am bit of disappointment Kate is not glass coach.. I wonder why no glass coach
Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Serene Highness

Clarence House has promised updated information will be posted as soon as it is known, ending the tweets today with the sign off: 'More tweets to follow.'

uhu!

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding