Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Penelope said:
Since Prince Charles had a title, wasn't she just HRH The Princess of Wales?, or was she was Princess Charles, but styled Princess if Wales?

Uhhhh... Ignore the "was she was", should read "was she" :blush:

Some traditions are just to out dated these days.... Like the heir marrying a virgin and calling a Princess buy her husbands first name. I read some where that Princess Michael of kent always hated being called that (her real name is Marie Christine I believe). It would almost be like my married name being Mrs. Christopher. Sounds ridiculous if you ask me... :D

Just because something sounds ridiculous in the opinion of some does not make it wrong.

The wife of HRH Prince Michael of Kent is HRH Princess Michael of Kent. The daughter-in-law of HRH The Princess Royal is Mrs Peter Phillips, as we have been reminded by the Royal Household very recently.

Mrs Peter Phillips has given birth to a baby girl, 30 December 2010

I totally agree, I wonder what htey could be.

I wonder if any of the royal families that aren't related to the BRF will be invited such as Sweden, Belgium and Lux royal family?

The Swedes are definitley related through Princess Margaret of Connaught, the Grandmother of the present King as well as of Queen Margarethe of Denmark.

The Luxembourg's & the Belgiun's are also related, be it more distantly.

Relatively Speaking!

Queen Elizabeth – George VI – George V – Edward VII – Victoria – Victoire of Saxe Coburg – Franz Frederick Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

Carl XVI Gustav – Gustav-Adolf (Edmund) – Margaret of Connaught – Arthur, Duke of Connaught – Victoria - Victoire of Saxe Coburg – Franz Frederick Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

Albert II – Leopold III – Albert I – Phillipe, Count de Flandres – Leopold I, King of the Belgiums - Franz Frederick Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg – Josephine-Charlotte – Leopold III – Albert I – Phillipe, Count de Flandres – Leopold I, King of the Belgiums, Franz Frederick Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

Last edited:
I've been mulling over how a hypothetical decision on Kate's part to keep her own name on marriage would work within the system of Royal styles and titles. An ordinary woman in the UK is under no obligation to change her surname on marriage, though it is a tradition and most do it. As far as I know, there's no law that requires a Royal consort to adopt her husband's style and titles. How would it work? Would she still become an HRH? Would she be HRH Catherine Middleton, Princess William of Wales, or perhaps HRH Catherine Middleton, The Duchess of Cambridge/Sussex/whatever.

I'm not suggesting it's going to happen, but am curious to know how it would work if it did happen.

I find it interesting that when it comes to Royalty, women seem quite happy to give up their own identity.:p Does anyone know of any woman who has married a peer yet kept her own name? I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two of them about.

That's an interesting thought!. HRH Catherine Middleton, Princess William of Wales. I think that might work better in regards to the court circular than just Princess William of Wales.

I remember reading that Kate's father, before the engagement had been asking around about coat of arms, and was told it would cost 3000 pounds

That's an interesting thought!. HRH Catherine Middleton, Princess William of Wales. I think that might work better in regards to the court circular than just Princess William of Wales.

I would still put the HRH in front of the Princess rather than Catherine - - so Catherine Middleton, HRH Princess William of Wales and in time Catherine Middleton HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

:previous: Yes. The style attaches to the title, not her name.

Wouldn't she be Princess William in any case? As she will be married to him with the Queen's consent, she would according to the LP for the Royal family be a HRH, but could probably choose to be known as "Catherine Middleton".

Personally, while it will be a change of protocol for Britain, I can see that it would bring Britain into line with how the other European monarchy's treat recruits! IMTS, Mary is HRH in her own right as is Maxima, Mette-Marit, Mathilde, Letizia and Daniel.

I believe that this is one aspect...what should be William and Catherine's new title after the wedding...that the Queen will not accept any advice from them on making her final decision. Even if his auntie and uncle did have some "authority" in deciding their titles...neither one of them at the time of their marriages was expected to become the sovereign. (I'm testing the iPhone App...so excuse any typo's please)

Last edited:
If it is true at all that William has this desire/request. To me, it's all gossip and rumour until confirmed.

Iluvbertie said:
I would still put the HRH in front of the Princess rather than Catherine - - so Catherine Middleton, HRH Princess William of Wales and in time Catherine Middleton HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

Yes, agreed! The HRH should go before the title and not the name.

Personally, while it will be a change of protocol for Britain, I can see that it would bring Britain into line with how the other European monarchy's treat recruits! IMTS, Mary is HRH in her own right as is Maxima, Mette-Marit, Mathilde, Letizia and Daniel.

Following the example of Alexandra, Mary is as a member of the order of the Elephant a "HE", Her Excellency. If she divorced Frederick, she would be "HH" - Her Highness - but only till she remarried. Of course, the queen could decided to leave her be a HRH as the mother of a future king but that's her prerogative. Not that I believe for a moment that Mary would steep so low as to ask for a divorce from a future king!!

And they are all spouses of the heirs to the throne. Catherine will be the bride of the heir to the heir.

Kataryn, what do you mean by the "Mary won't stoop so low" comment? This might be a little off topic, you could reply via PM if you wish.

This is interesting I was watching the 16 min video ABC has up on their website on Anne and Captain Mark Phillips wedding day and they actually say that the Queen denied camera's to shoot the front of their faces. I doubt that will happen here I mean I haven't seen it happen in the last 4 weddings.

This is interesting I was watching the 16 min video ABC has up on their website on Anne and Captain Mark Phillips wedding day and they actually say that the Queen denied camera's to shoot the front of their faces. I doubt that will happen here I mean I haven't seen it happen in the last 4 weddings.

the front of their faces? isnt that a little odd?

the front of their faces? isnt that a little odd?
It definitely is. Something about it's already stressful enough but shooting infront of their faces may be distracting. The video is in Princess Anne's wedding thread, I posted it yesterday.:flowers:

When Catherine marries, she'll be HRH Princess William of Wales or HRH The Duchess of ________. No more, no less. She doesn't get to keep her name. That's one of the things that comes along with marrying into a royal family. You have no last name, and if you're not marrying a peer, you have no first name either....at least not in your title. The next time you'll hear her referred to by her given name is when she's Queen, and then she'll be HM Queen Catherine. Until then, she'll be basically "nameless" when referred to by her title and style.

Is it odd? To most of us it probably is, but that's the way it goes. I'd rather see the Act of Settlement done away with, and equal primogeniture instituted.

Indeed I don't see the need for 3D anything, I even actually tend to avoid 3D films like Avatar etc, I'm fine with normal film! Lol. At least we get a choice of whether to watch things in 3D, personally I opt out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom