Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also ignorant, the concept of Catherine wearing a second dress. The dress Catherine will wear is not some off-the-rack copy or anything you can buy at even an upscale bridal shop. It will be one-of-a-kind custom-designed haute couture gown. You're going to wear that special creation for more than just the ceremony and it's not cost effective to pay for two such gowns.

I think this brings up a legitimate question, though. (Rachael Ray show aside) Does anybody think that Catherine will have a different dress for the evening festivities? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all. After the wedding & reception, I can see her retiring for a late afternoon freshen-up and then reappearing for the dinner/dance in a different dress and perhaps different hairstyle, too. (That's me hoping for an updo for the wedding and possibly hair down for the evening as she seems to prefer it.) Thoughts? :flowers:

the dress

Read or heard somewhere that some British toff would like Kate to choose an up and coming British designer for her dress to help launch their career instead of someone like Bruce Oldfield. Now this really makes me mad leave her alone to choose for herself afterall it's going to be one of the last things she can choose for herself without having been advised. Besides she seems to have good dress sense so she'll look lovely.
As for up and coming designers P.Diana chose Elizabeth and David Emanuel and to be honest that dress was too frilly, crinkly and over the top.
I have to agree about the comments about strapless it is done to death and some fuller brides do indeed look like a stuffed sausage bulging over.:whistling:

windsorgirl said:
Does anybody think that Catherine will have a different dress for the evening festivities?

I hope she does, but I doubt we'll see it.

This is a wedding; if Catherine would like 2 dresses she can have them. All the weddings I've been to the bride has had a dress for the service and one for the after do; they haven't been haute couture ones but that didn't matter.
Just because Kates getting a one off wedding dress doesn't mean she wants to dance in it all night, something simple and light to dance in all night seems plausible for any bride.

Last edited:
Speaking of uniforms- I hope William decides to wear his Household Cavalry uniform, instead of his RAF dress blues.
I just like it better!
Though I expect him to wear the RAF uniform.

Yes, the Household Cavalry uniform is more dashing and formal-looking, being so dark, but you're right in that he will probably go with RAF. Morning suit would be the most surprising, but I really liked Prince Edward in his along with Charles & Andrew as supporters. They all got to wear different colored "accessories" (vest, tie) which made the wedding a bit more colorful, IMO.

Yes, the Household Cavalry uniform is more dashing and formal-looking, being so dark, but you're right in that he will probably go with RAF. Morning suit would be the most surprising, but I really liked Prince Edward in his along with Charles & Andrew as supporters. They all got to wear different colored "accessories" (vest, tie) which made the wedding a bit more colorful, IMO.

But with morning suit he would not wear his Order of the Garter so i expect one of the Uniforms.

Last edited:

Morning suit would not be "official" enough for me, lol. William is 2nd in line to the throne so I expect stately attire from him. And that stately attire will most likely be his RAF uniform, although I agree that the Household Cavalry uniform looks the best.

True, but...

...P.Diana chose Elizabeth and David Emanuel and to be honest that dress was too frilly, crinkly and over the top.
I have to agree about the comments about strapless it is done to death and some fuller brides do indeed look like a stuffed sausage bulging over.:whistling:

...Diana's dress was unforgettable. I can barely remember my own dress, much less those of any of the other brides I've seen. But Diana's dress, regardless of its whipped cream on top of frozen custard style, will never be forgotten!

...Diana's dress was unforgettable. I can barely remember my own dress, much less those of any of the other brides I've seen. But Diana's dress, regardless of its whipped cream on top of frozen custard style, will never be forgotten!

A lot of people find Diana's wedding dress awful in hindsight. I don't.
Of course one most likely wouldn't wear a dress like that today, but then I always say 'one must not try to place the past in the present. Then was then and now is now'.

That wedding was a fairytale, romantic, young and sort of naive/full of expectations and Diana's appearance totally fit the bill - imo.

I am very curious to see what Catherine will be wearing, along with William.

Rachel Ray's guest didn't do his homework and the ideas put forth are just plain silly. Ohhh well. The thought of the Life Time courtship film is scary. Hope they amaze us. :p

What Uniforms did The Pow and Doe wear or George V And George VI What ranks

What Uniforms did The Pow and Doe wear or George V And George VI What ranks

The Prince of Wales wore his full dress naval commander uniform, the Duke of Edinburgh wore his lieutenant in the Royal Navy uniform, I believe.
I am not sure about George VI and George V I cannot find.

Last edited:
Okay, we are talking about a segment of Rachael Ray's show. Doesn't the joke begin with the fact that Rachael Ray has her own daytime TV show?

Very true! A guest that doesn't have a clue about Royal weddings, or Kate's taste is perfect for a host that doesn't have a clue about how to cook unless it requires opening cans, packages or boxes and throwing it into a pot. No doubt she will offer a segment on what kind of "Sammies" will be served a the Royal wedding luncheon next.

Edward really hadn't much choice, he didn't have a military service career like his brothers did, and would have been criticized for wearing a uniform, imo.

I think the uniforms very dashing, and I'm certain William will opt to wear one, but the question is which? Does anyone know which ones he is entitled to wear?

(I remember reading an article by Prince Charles' valet where he said the POW had a whole roomful of uniforms)!

Edward really hadn't much choice, he didn't have a military service career like his brothers did, and would have been criticized for wearing a uniform, imo.

I think the uniforms very dashing, and I'm certain William will opt to wear one, but the question is which? Does anyone know which ones he is entitled to wear?

(I remember reading an article by Prince Charles' valet where he said the POW had a whole roomful of uniforms)!

Ok.. this I find interesting. I went looking around to see just what a full dress RAF uniform looks like and this is what I found. Also answers the question of what George VI wore for his wedding.

From wiki:

Group Captain HRH the Duke of York (later King George VI) wore RAF full dress at his wedding to Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923. The Duke wore or carried the full dress headgear rather than the service dress cap.
Today the blue-grey full dress uniform is no longer worn, except in a modified form by RAF bandsmen.[6]

Maybe William will go with the Household Calvary uniform which does look amazingly stunning and fitting for a royal wedding. I believe he is wearing it at Trooping the Color 2008. Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I cannot in any way even start to imagine that Kate would wear anything strapless going into Westminster Abbey unless the simple strapless style dress somehow had a more "regal" type of overdress with train that could be removed after the ceremony therefore giving her a more relaxed easy to move in gown for the after parties. One dress.. two different styles in one. I'd not be surprised at all.

Ok.. this I find interesting. I went looking around to see just what a full dress RAF uniform looks like and this is what I found. Also answers the question of what George VI wore for his wedding.

From wiki:

Group Captain HRH the Duke of York (later King George VI) wore RAF full dress at his wedding to Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923. The Duke wore or carried the full dress headgear rather than the service dress cap.
Today the blue-grey full dress uniform is no longer worn, except in a modified form by RAF bandsmen.[6]

Maybe William will go with the Household Calvary uniform which does look amazingly stunning and fitting for a royal wedding. I believe he is wearing it at Trooping the Color 2008. Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

So, here is a colorized photo of the then Duke of York (King George VI) in his RAF dress uniform. He has more medals and the gold rope detail, but what makes it look more formal to me is the high neck. William's dress uniform has regular lapels and is worn with shirt & tie. Hmmm, still wishing for the Household Cavalary Uniform....:wub:

1923 - The Duke of York
Google Image Result for http://www.fashion-era.com/images/SocialHistory/qmwedd22.jpg

2009 - Prince William
Google Image Result for http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/wills415.jpg

So, here is a colorized photo of the then Duke of York (King George VI) in his RAF dress uniform. He has more medals and the gold rope detail, but what makes it look more formal to me is the high neck. William's dress uniform has regular lapels and is worn with shirt & tie. Hmmm, still wishing for the Household Cavalary Uniform....:wub:

1923 - The Duke of York
Google Image Result for http://www.fashion-era.com/images/SocialHistory/qmwedd22.jpg

2009 - Prince William
Google Image Result for http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/wills415.jpg

Would you guys stop it? You make my mouth water :lol:
That is the uniform I see incredibly fitting for his wedding, but I suspect we will get to see him in a "less grand" uniform - his RAF attire.

If William does wear his Household Cavalry uniform, perhaps Harry would also wear his.
That would look wonderful when they are standing together!

Historic dual portrait of Prince William and Prince Harry unveiled at National Portrait Gallery | Mail Online

I like this portrait of the pair of them wearing the uniform.

That uniform just reeks formal wedding to me while the RAF service uniform just doesn't do it for me and doesn't seem formal enough for a royal wedding at Westminster Abbey. The RAF full dress uniform George VI wore is kind of attractive but they no longer have the RAF full dress except for the modified version that bandmen wear. My vote is definitely gonna go for the Household Calvary uniform and I agree if both brothers wore them, they'd look amazing together.

I can't imagine she'd go strapless, why?
I don't think strapless gowns are inappropriate (although the Queen may).
BUT- they have been done to death!
It's at the point where anyone in a strapless gown looks like she's wearing a uniform.

I truly think this is one trend that has been played out for a long time, and it's time to get away from it.

I agree--strapless is so overdone. It is hard to find pre-made wedding dresses that are not strapless!

He doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. This is a Royal wedding being held in Westminster Abby, not a tacky over the top wedding being held at the local Country Clubor hotel. He even says she will be Princess Catherine after she is married. The entire segment is a joke.

Strapless is not appropriate for Westminster Abby and particularly a Royal wedding. I don't see Kate opting for that style even if it was. It's just not her style.

I agree the strapless style is getting really old and there are very few brides that can wear the style without looking like a squeezed sausage. There is nothing attractive about bulging flesh over the top of a tight dress. Not that Kate would have this issue since she is so thin.

I agree--strapless is unflattering on so many women. It really does show how little this "expert" knows about the royal family.

As William is currently a serving officer in the RAF, having transferred from the army to the air force, I think he should wear his current uniform and not one the one from which he has already transferred - not just the unit but the entire service.

That uniform just reeks formal wedding to me while the RAF service uniform just doesn't do it for me and doesn't seem formal enough for a royal wedding at Westminster Abbey. The RAF full dress uniform George VI wore is kind of attractive but they no longer have the RAF full dress except for the modified version that bandmen wear. My vote is definitely gonna go for the Household Calvary uniform and I agree if both brothers wore them, they'd look amazing together.

Well, now that a few of us agree, let's inform St. James's Palace of our decision! Household Cavalry uniforms for the Brothers Wales! :ROFLMAO::whistling:

I do wonder, though, if there is a more "senior" service and he would wear THAT uniform, for instance, Navy is higher than Cavalry, which is higher than RAF (just my example). He's done stints in all of them, hasn't he?

:previous: Mmmm, quite agree. It's not a good look to work for the RAF and for William to get married in an Army Uniform would be just plain wrong. How would his unit take it if he got married wearing an Army uniform just because it looks prettier? It would make him look vain at best and and shallow at the very worst. It would also send out a message that the RAF is second best and we all know how touchily competitive the different arms of the military are. :ROFLMAO:

No, I'm, afraid it's just RAF Service Dress for him if he hopes for a happy and comfortable life with his SAR unit for the next few years. :D

:previous: Mmmm, quite agree. It's not a good look to work for the RAF and for William to get married in an Army Uniform would be just plain wrong. How would his unit take it if he got married wearing an Army uniform just because it looks prettier? It would make him look vain at best and and shallow at the very worst. It would also send out a message that the RAF is second best and we all know how touchily competitive the different arms of the military are. :ROFLMAO:

No, I'm, afraid it's just RAF Service Dress for him if he hopes for a happy and comfortable life with his SAR unit for the next few years. :D

Good points. It will be interesting to see just what he does wear and I expect, like Kate's dress, we won't know until the day of the wedding. I really do wish that the RAF still had full dress uniforms. Hmmm.. wonder if it would work if he wore an historic one? There's a thought.

Good points. It will be interesting to see just what he does wear and I expect, like Kate's dress, we won't know until the day of the wedding. I really do wish that the RAF still had full dress uniforms. Hmmm.. wonder if it would work if he wore an historic one? There's a thought.

That might make everyone think of a costume party, though.

No, I'm afraid it's got to be that RAF uniform.
Now, why couldn't William have gotten married while still in the Household Cavalry? ;)

Although, technically, I believe he's entitled to wear any military uniform that he's served in, whether or not it's current.
(But I agree his fellow RAF officers wouldn't appreciate that! Maybe they should agitate for a spiffier dress uniform?)

Last edited:
:previous: It would work if the wedding was themed "Historic". Perhaps the RAF have been looking for a reason to reactivate such a terrific uniform look and will ask Prince William to be the Poster Boy for change . . . . . . :whistling:

If William does wear his Household Cavalry uniform, perhaps Harry would also wear his.
That would look wonderful when they are standing together!

Historic dual portrait of Prince William and Prince Harry unveiled at National Portrait Gallery | Mail Online

I like this portrait of the pair of them wearing the uniform.

Oh definitely the Household Calvery Uniform. The RAF uniform just isn't formal enough for a Royal Wedding. What is the star that William is wearing below the sash?

...(snip)
That wedding was a fairytale, romantic, young and sort of naive/full of expectations and Diana's appearance totally fit the bill - imo.

I am very curious to see what Catherine will be wearing, along with William.

You're right...When I try to imagine the young Diana in a modern, sleek gown, it just does...not...compute. I think the Emanuels got it just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom