The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy

Agreed Lady Oona. Though Kate usually wears rather simplistic styles, I can't help but think her wedding gown will be glorious...not frilly but VERY dramatic. I think it will show off how tall and slim she is.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobers1
Why is it assumed that the Obama's do not have money of their own and it is all tax dollars? At any rate, Michelle Obama is the one person I remember receiving a friendly hug from HM The Queen, for some reason I think the head honcho looks highly upon her personally.

At any rate, although this is being touted as a "peoples wedding" I am sure many heads of state (if not all) are being invited.
Ok- I just wanted to answer this and then back to William and Kate- yes the Obamas have money and may pay for trips or clothes but taxpayers pay for security and also if they came to an official function that trip is paid for by taxpayers- only their personal stuff can be paid by them (but sometimes isn't) but even those trips tax payers pay security. These are facts- so no polictics intended, it's every president not just Obamas.

Ok- back to PW and the future PrssW!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Commoner

My choices are:

Elizabeth Emmanuel
Reem Acra
Valentino
Nina Ricci
Caroline Louillier
Vera Wang
Prabal

Laggerfeld is too exagerated! And Lacroix...no comments
Old 12-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Her and her husband were friends of the PM.

As for your last bit, I can think of one really good reason why Michelle Obama shouldn't go to the wedding -- she has no business being there. She's not a close friend of anyone in the UK, from either the government or the BRF.
Sorry, but the wedding guest list is not based on whom the Prime Minister may consider a friend. Besides I don't recall Nancy Reagan being a friend of Maggie Thatcher's. I don't believe David Cameron will influence the RF's selection of guests.

How do you know Michelle Obama hasn't good or close friends in the United kingdom ? She has as much business being there as any other world leader's wife.

Quote:
They spent three hours in the palace and its gardens, including the Queen's new vegetable patch. That's an interest the Queen and Mrs. Obama share helping to forge a new friendship and keep the transatlantic relationship very warm, indeed.

A source with what MacVicar calls "excellent royal connections" tells CBS News the Queen has told family members she adores Michelle Obama and hopes to see her again soon.
Michelle Obama and Queen Elizabeth Becoming Friends !

Quote:
When Michelle Obama made a private visit to the British capital last week with daughters, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 8, they were given a private three-hour tour of Buckingham Palace, including a meeting with the queen.
"There clearly is a personal warmth between the two of them," a royal source told Reuters on Sunday, referring to Michelle Obama, 45, and the 83-year-old monarch.
"Clearly the queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Obamas got on very well at the G20 summit and mention was made then that they should keep in touch and they have done."
According to the sources, the queen and Michelle Obama have exchanged letters and spoken by telephone since that first meeting. The visit last Wednesday was organized as a treat for Sasha, who turned 8 that day.
Despite their age difference, the two women are said to share a number of interests, including the countryside, gardening and clothes.
"It's a positive thing for relations between the two countries that the royal family and the president's family get along so well," the sources said
Michelle Obama finds a new friend in Britain's Queen | Reuters

There's obvious affection between the queen and Michelle-

http://images.nymag.com/daily/intel/...ug_560x375.jpg

I'm sure Wm and Kate wouldn't object to Grandmother's friend attending their wedding.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Aristocracy

It's been said that this is not a state occasion. If that's so will the royal family still wear the dress uniforms of the particular branches of the military they serve as royal colonels? With that being said should Prince Charles wear the dress uniform of an air chief marshal, since Prince William does serve in the RAF?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

From St. James Palace on the whole Obama snub.
Quote:
A St James's Palace spokesman adds: ‘The wedding will not be a formal state occasion since Prince William is neither the sovereign nor the heir to the throne.'
Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's not a formal state occasion, so then neither of them have any business being there. Glad that's been settled.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I don't know if it's really been settled though. Lol. I guess we'll see what happens when the invites go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
Thanks for your kind posts, Soapstar and Isabella.
You're welcome.

I don't know if this article is accurate, but it will at least give us something else to discuss. Supposedly Kate isn't going with Oldfield - she's picked a little known designer. The article also has a bunch of other details.

Exclusive Wedding Scoop
Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar

I don't know if this article is accurate, but it will at least give us something else to discuss. Supposedly Kate isn't going with Oldfield - she's picked a little known designer. The article also has a bunch of other details.

Exclusive Wedding Scoop
Well sounds pretty standard with a few touches,assuming it's true. The cutest part is she finds his uniform sexy :) I guess we will see how accurate it is on April 29!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Abbey feels the strain: Royals 'will pay only a small sum' for William and Kate's wedding | Mail Online
Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
4I don't know if this article is accurate, but it will at least give us something else to discuss.
Exclusive Wedding Scoop
Unfortunately there is no clue about "the tiara"...
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Royal Highness

I don't know. There is not much of real substance in the article and if she is wrong, she can always clam that William changed his mind.

As for the dress: Catherine has reportedly been to many weddings of friends during the last years. So I guess she had time and opportunity enough to ponder her own choices and observe wedding dresses in the making. I wonder why we don't get to see pics of the wedding dresses Catherine in reality saw during the last months - maybe there is the clue to her own dress?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Aristocracy

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see some of the dresses W&K friends have worn.
When I was in the UK last I saw 3 weddings and all the dresses were rather plain. that was 6 years ago. so I hope the trend for more ornate gowns has spread across the pond.

I thought Diana left from BP to go to St. Paul's. Am I wrong in this?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
There's no valid why Michelle Obama shouldn't attend the W & K wedding if she is invited.
Because she isn't close to the BRF, stories about a "friendship" between her and the Queen or most likely done to increase the supposed "special friendship" we have with the US.

If this is true, I find it quite upsetting that they are letting the Abbey struggle to pay for the wedding.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see some of the dresses W&K friends have worn.
When I was in the UK last I saw 3 weddings and all the dresses were rather plain. that was 6 years ago. so I hope the trend for more ornate gowns has spread across the pond.

Yes you are wrong. But Diana and Sarah travelled from Clarence House to St Pauls/Westminster Abbey. And Charles and Andrew both left from Buckingham Palace. but the difference is that their home was Bucking Palace and for William it's Clarence House.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If this is true, I find it quite upsetting that they are letting the Abbey struggle to pay for the wedding.
But how was this done at earlier Events? Think the Abbey was also closed to prepare for the funeral of the Queen Mother, the Wedding of Andre and Sarah etc. And i have read that for hte Coronation in 1953 it was closed for a half year because they had to errect all the Galleries etc.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
"The wedding
It was the day the entire nation had been waiting for. On July 29, 1981, Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer were married in St Paul's Cathedral in an iconic wedding watched across the world. By now 20, the beautiful bride travelled from Clarence House in a glass coach with her father Earl Spencer in time for the 11.20am ceremony, which was conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury. "
Iconic weddings: Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer - hellomagazine.com
Old 12-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Serene Highness

Just had an interesting thought re dress designer. I wonder if Catherine is working with HM "In House" design team for something really special, perhaps with antique fabric that HM has available. This would really be something special and would be well in line with the current financial austerity in the UK.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Just had an interesting thought re dress designer. I wonder if Catherine is working with HM "In House" design team for something really special, perhaps with antique fabric that HM has available. This would really be something special and would be well in line with the current financial austerity in the UK.
That's a very good idea.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But how was this done at earlier Events? Think the Abbey was also closed to prepare for the funeral of the Queen Mother, the Wedding of Andre and Sarah etc. And i have read that for hte Coronation in 1953 it was closed for a half year because they had to errect all the Galleries etc.
The Daily Mail is stating catagorically that the Abbey is struggling / will struggle to cope with teh cost of the Wedding and reeading through the article the ABbey spokesman states that it is not true. As such the article is a load of rubbish. The Abbey need only charge William and Kate however much they normally charge for a wedding. They can actually make more money from this if they charge TV stations use of the interior in order to film the wedding. The choir will sing free of charge. The clergymen and abbey staff will be basically carrying out thir normal duties - afterall it's what they are there for. After the wedding, the Abbey will be utterly inundated with extra visitors being charged a fortune and so I can't see the problem.

I am not sure why the Abbey will need to be closed for a week just to put a carpet down along the aisle (which could be done the night before) and florists usually start their decorations the day before too. Security can sweep the Abbey each evening and seal off the Abbey from the public the day before.

Bearing in mind how rich the Church is, they should get on with it all free of charge!

For the coronation, seating galleries were erected along with a large platform covering the trancept area - now that would indeed warrant the Abbey being closed for a good few months.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding