The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't want to see the Obamas at the wedding. Sorry. There's too much going on in this country that he needs to worry about than going to an overseas wedding. I would actually be pissed off if they accepted an invitation.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I don't want to see the Obamas at the wedding. Sorry. There's too much going on in this country that he needs to worry about than going to an overseas wedding. I would actually be pissed off if they accepted an invitation.
I agree. This is a wedding and not a dog and pony show. To my recollection, I don't remember ever hearing that William and Kate have met the Obamas before even though they seemed to get along well with HM and the DoE. This isn't an event having anything to do with state or governments or political relations but a occasion of celebration for William and Kate. I'd expect some of the folks from Centrepoint at the wedding before the Obamas.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I actually wouldn't mind if Michelle Obama came. I think it would be nice to see her there.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

She has no reason to go. The US doesn't need to be represented at the wedding of the heir to the throne's eldest son. We aren't in the Commonwealth, we aren't a territory and while the UK is an ally in foreign affairs, that doesn't mean we need to show up for every wedding and funeral that is either a state or non-state occasion. Nancy Reagan went to Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981 but I'm reasonably sure the only reason she did was because the Reagans were good friends with Margaret Thatcher, who was PM at the time.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I get that she doesn't need to be there (I wasn't debating that). I was simply stating that I personally wouldn't be bothered if she did show up.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Jill Biden can represent the US? But I agree about the Obama's. There are important issues here that needs his focus.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Aristocracy

As a rule American presidents don't attend British Royal weddings. However their wives often do. Nancy Regan attended the wedding of Charles and Diana although she didn't know either of them and at that time, America had major problems, as did Britain.

Quote:
Reagan starts toying with the Libyains, and deploys ships in the Gulf of Sidra, which Libya claimed rights to even though no one else recognized it as theirs. There were 52 American hostages in Iran and the economy wasn't very healthy either.Feb 17th , 1981- Chrysler Corp reports largest corporate losses in US history
Mar 2nd - Aircraft hijacked by 3 Pakistani terrorists
The economy as far as joblessness was worse then:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/bu....19552438.html

There were riots in the streets of Liverpool, earlier Reagan had been shot
March 30 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C. hotel by John Hinckley, Jr.

April 10 – IRA hunger-striker Bobby Sands wins the Fermanagh and South Tyrone by-election.
April 11Brixton riot (1981): Rioters in South London throw petrol bombs, attack police and loot shops
There's no valid why Michelle Obama shouldn't attend the W & K wedding if she is invited.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
Nancy Regan attended the wedding of Charles and Diana although she didn't know either of them and at that time

Her and her husband were friends of the PM. Even Thatcher in her ill health, made sure to be at his funeral and then burial in California.

As for your last bit, I can think of one really good reason why Michelle Obama shouldn't go to the wedding -- she has no business being there. She's not a close friend of anyone in the UK, from either the government or the BRF.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, Thatcher filmed a tribute and it was played at Reagan's funeral.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
No, Thatcher filmed a tribute and it was played at Reagan's funeral.
She was in fact, present at both the funeral and the burial.

Quote:
The following year, on 11 June, Thatcher travelled to the United States to attend the state funeral service for former US President Ronald Reagan, one of her closest friends, at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.[208] Thatcher delivered a eulogy via videotape to Reagan; in view of her failing mental faculties following several small strokes, the message had been pre-recorded several months earlier.[209] Thatcher then flew to California with the Reagan entourage, and attended the memorial service and interment ceremony for President Reagan at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

I watched this on TV, as did most people, and I distinctly remember her being there and it being something the commentators discussed quite a lot, mostly because of how ill she had been. Her eulogy was videotaped, but she physically was there. So was Gorbachev and if I remember right, they were seated next to one another. Gorbachev was another good friend of Reagan's.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for that information Marie. And I agree, I don't see why she couldn't attend if she's invited.

I don't think anyone can really know who Michelle is, or isn't friends with.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
As a rule American presidents don't attend British Royal weddings. However their wives often do. Nancy Regan attended the wedding of Charles and Diana although she didn't know either of them and at that time, America had major problems, as did Britain.

There's no valid why Michelle Obama shouldn't attend the W & K wedding if she is invited.
Indeed. It's common for First Ladies to be sent to British Royal events (in good economic times and bad) - Nancy Reagan attended Charles and Diana's wedding as well as Andrew and Sarah's. Laura Bush attended the Queen Mother's funeral, and Hillary Clinton attended Diana's (though I realize the latter was not a state event and the invitations were on more of a personal basis). So I shouldn't see any reason why there would be a problem with Michelle Obama attending the wedding - or, likewise, any problem if she didn't. It depends on what kind of guest list William and Kate want for their wedding, IMO.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for your kind posts, Soapstar and Isabella. Again, we were talking of presidents' wives and HM is clearly quite fond of Michelle Obama and shall be doing much of the inviting according to protocol and most will expect Mrs. Obama to be among the guests given the staunch alliance between the two countries.

http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/le...970b-350wi.jpg
Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora
I think the wedding is not a state occasion,as William is only second in line to the throne.Probably President Obama couldn't go from economical and security reasons,as example such a trip could be considered by many as unnenecessary luxury.
Michelle Obama may not want to travel without her husband.
It was announced early in planning the wedding would not be a state occasion....

And I don't start a political discussion but Michelle Obama wouldn't want to travel without her husband? Hahaha! That's a joke right-
Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I thought it was a state occasion blah DM is just confusing me now

Protocol is involved. The Vice President and spouse would be about the highest US politician invited. Best bet for US representation is the US Ambassador.

I'm not an Obama fan, but he hasn't been snubbed. That headline is just stirrin' the puddin'.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Yes there is a reason why she shouldn't attend. It's called "She's Already Used All Her Vacation Time and My Tax Dollars."

Sorry about the politics.
I think, politics aside, that Americans might have a problem with her going to a wedding just because of the economic situation. I have a feeling that most people would think that money could be spent better elsewhere. Could be wrong.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Until we get confirmation that a guest list has been established, the Obamas were officially snubbed or have decided to or not attend, everything else is speculation.

Its the Daily Mail...with the usual royal sources.....

Let's move on.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

As an American I would have no problem with her going if she is invited.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Gentry

WWD Daily had notable designers sketch designs for Catherine.
The Pucci one might be a little to similar to Diana but its SO Royal looking I can't help myself!
The Monique Lhuiller is so stunning and intricate but not over the top.
She's so stunning and they are so in love she could wear a bag down to aisle and William would love it!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Commoner

Why is it assumed that the Obama's do not have money of their own and it is all tax dollars? At any rate, Michelle Obama is the one person I remember receiving a friendly hug from HM The Queen, for some reason I think the head honcho looks highly upon her personally.

At any rate, although this is being touted as a "peoples wedding" I am sure many heads of state (if not all) are being invited.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding