The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
Anyone seen this, a few famous designers sketch what they'd design for the wedding dress (basically confirming that none of these people will actually be designing the dress since I doubt if they've been hired for it that they'd be allowed to do this sort of thing for a magazine or whatever )

But anyway, quite nice to look at & see all the various ideas that some people in fashion world have.

Karl, Lacroix, and More Sketch Their Dream Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton – Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice
I like this the best with a long train, an even longer lace veil, and either the Girls of G. Britain/Ireland, the Scroll tiara, the Teck necklace/tiara or the Starthmore.
Karl, Lacroix, and More Sketch Their Dream Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton – Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice
If it were me I'd go for Alexander McQueen (RIP) Vivienne Westwood, John Galiano or Stella McCartney. Notice how almost every designer drew a ball gown.

Found another one I like:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beaut...#photoViewer=8

Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post

If I had the chance to design a dress for Catherine to wear for her wedding, it would look similar to CP Mary's dress with slightly shorter sleeves, a longer train (the Abbey has a longer walk up to the altar than the church Mary was married in) and in a brighter white color since she's a bit more tan than Mary was. I would raise the neckline at the shoulders slightly, but keep the overall neckline as a boatneck (I think it flatters all bust sizes) and I would bring the back down a little. Put her hair half up, half down, curl the ends slightly to give movement, pin the veil directly to her hair and hand her a bouquet.
I actually like CP Mary's dress, although the forum I was on lastnight totally panned it. As far as royal brides go, she took some chances and had a unique dress. I liked the skirt, even though people have referred to it as drapes. It would have been better with more lace showing thru. the sleeves are ok. and the neckline flattering. I disagree though about the higher neckline, or boat neck, on Kate, or about it being flattering on all bust sizes. Kate is not bosomy by any means and would probably look somewhat flat with a higher neckline. I think she must know this and that is why she wears so many V necks. Like her engagement dress.
My only real gripe with CP Mary's dress is the train. Good length, but it looks totally plain (at least in the pics I have seen). since most brides spend the vast majority of the ceremony with their backs to the audience, something to look at is a good idea. Thats why, I think Sarah ferguson's dress was so popular. IMO

Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't say the neckline should be higher, just raised at the shoulders. Look at the photo below:

The Epoch Times

You can see how the dress is off the shoulder, but supported by some kind of corsetry or boning of some kind to keep the whole thing from slipping off. It doesn't look as pronounced in that picture, but if you look at this one --> Madhattery you can see what I'm talking about more clearly. By lowering the back and raising the neckline only at the shoulders, you create a more fitted look around the arms and shoulders, while still retaining that neckline around the rest of the bodice.

The only thing I didn't like about Mary's dress was the back.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If I had the chance to design a dress for Catherine to wear for her wedding, it would look similar to CP Mary's dress with slightly shorter sleeves, a longer train (the Abbey has a longer walk up to the altar than the church Mary was married in) and in a brighter white color since she's a bit more tan than Mary was. I would raise the neckline at the shoulders slightly, but keep the overall neckline as a boatneck (I think it flatters all bust sizes) and I would bring the back down a little. Put her hair half up, half down, curl the ends slightly to give movement, pin the veil directly to her hair and hand her a bouquet.
Yes, I would like that.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

If so many Royal brides are choosing plain, unadorned styles, why not be different?
Personally I like the Valentino and the Karl Lagerfeld dresses, either would look striking in a setting like the Abbey.
(Though I expect the Valentino would have to be adapted so that the shoulders are covered somewhat).
Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Nobility

I love that Valentino sketch. There's something very fashion-forward about it yet still altogether lovely.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Karl's design looks very "Lagerfeld" and not at all "Kate". I quite like the baroque extravagance of it, but it is not at all Kate's style. The Valentino design is very beautiful, but it sill has much more ruffles and fru-fru than Kate usually favours.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

I liked the top of Marys gown but didn't like the back it looked odd to me.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The description "lots of lace and sparklies" makes it sound not like a wedding dress, but more like a costume. Costumes are for Halloween, not a wedding. There's a difference between say, Brussels lace and some jewels sown in strategic places and something that Bob Mackie might design. Bob Mackie is not the go-to guy for a royal wedding dress.

I get the idea that no one around here will be happy unless Catherine's dress makes her look like an upside marzipan cupcake covered in sprinkles.
I see what you mean, but I think lace and sparkles can look gorgeous when appliqued on the right places and in the right amounts. It doesn't have to be that much. I didn't mean for my description to sound like a Halloween costume

Bob Mackie will certainly be over the top for a royal wedding dress, his designs are just too much for such an occasion.

And no, I don't expect an upside marzipan cupcake (wouldn't suit her anyway) but I do expect something grand since she is marrying an important person in an important venue.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Courtier

This one by Reem Acra is pretty. Just a little ruffle along the neckline and bottom of the skirt to add interest:

Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress: Designer Sketches! - Fashion News - StyleCaster

I like this one too. Very simple and elegant:

Designers Sketch Wedding Dresses for Kate Middleton : Brides

This is my personal favorite from Badgley Mischka:

http://www.wwd.com/eyescoop/the-prin...404449/3404451
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

All of the 30 or so dresses are lovely in their own way. My favourites are Monique Lhuillier, Alberta Ferretti and Frida Giannini (it reminded me of Princess Marina's gown - very statuesque).
Karl Largerfelds idea seems to be a frilly version of Princess Anne's gown and Elizabeth Emanuell seems now to have designed two ideas since she did a different design in Hello! Magazine!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSY View Post
Ooh, I like that one!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Majesty

Spletnik - Sketches of wedding dresses for Ms. Middleton
The best sketch is by Valentino's Pier Paolo Piccioli and Maria Grazia Chiuri. However, I do not think that Ms. Middleton will fit in the image of an ethereal unearthly beauty.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
This one by Reem Acra is pretty. Just a little ruffle along the neckline and bottom of the skirt to add interest:

That second one from Sassi Holford looks very much like something Kate would wear, judging from the style she has shown so far.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
Ooh, I like that one!
I do too. Very "Kate"--elegant and sophisticated.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post

That Reem Acra one is my favorite one of the bunch.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Majesty

All those sketches show one thing . . . . . if she wore any of them as she is walking up the aisle the commentator would be saying "and she's wearing a Vera Wang, yada, yada, yada", not "she looks absolutely stunning". The designer would be walking up the aisle and while having your very own pet designer a la Hollywood is good for Show Business it is also a walking advertisement for said designer.

We are having a Royal Wedding and the Bride needs to be the center of attention, not the designer! Kate needs a gown to die for, something that says "Here comes the Bride", and a royal one at that.

As a point of interest, I watched a video of Mette Marit's wedding and discovered the gown was truley fabulous. The neck slightly higher and covering the shoulders than Mary's but, the gown, wow what a gown. Standing straight it looked vaguely A line and not an "upside down cupcake with sprinkles" but when she walked up the aisle and during the wedding dance, what a fabulous feminine but not fussy affect. Now that I could see Kate wearing.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
All those sketches show one thing . . . . . if she wore any of them as she is walking up the aisle the commentator would be saying "and she's wearing a Vera Wang, yada, yada, yada", not "she looks absolutely stunning". The designer would be walking up the aisle and while having your very own pet designer a la Hollywood is good for Show Business it is also a walking advertisement for said designer.

We are having a Royal Wedding and the Bride needs to be the center of attention, not the designer! Kate needs a gown to die for, something that says "Here comes the Bride", and a royal one at that.

As a point of interest, I watched a video of Mette Marit's wedding and discovered the gown was truley fabulous. The neck slightly higher and covering the shoulders than Mary's but, the gown, wow what a gown. Standing straight it looked vaguely A line and not an "upside down cupcake with sprinkles" but when she walked up the aisle and during the wedding dance, what a fabulous feminine but not fussy affect. Now that I could see Kate wearing.
No, please not a dress like Mette-Marit's - to me it was way too simple. I can't see her wearing that.

I do agree with your opinion about the dress designer and the bride.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Well, I wasn't under the impression that those designers were even under consideration, just that they were giving visions of what they'd like to see her in. More about tossing around ideas than saying "I think she should wear Vera Wang, etc."
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Well, I wasn't under the impression that those designers were even under consideration, just that they were giving visions of what they'd like to see her in. More about tossing around ideas than saying "I think she should wear Vera Wang, etc."
I like the discussions because I am not familiar with the designers, so I don't really care "who" designs it, but the links people are posting show the designs, which are fun since I am not good at visualizing.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding