The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

That could be it honestly I'm thinking it might be the blue carpet they had that threw me off. Though it's interesting the place where the Dean last night said the Middletons and the Royals will be sitting is not the same place they sat for Sarah and Andrew's wedding, other people sat in that place. It's the place with the beautiful lights hanging over the seats idk how to explain it kinda remiscent of St. george's chapel...that's where they said the royals are supposed to sit for this wedding.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Nobility

In 1995 there was a marvellous BBC documentary about the Abbey in three one hour episodes, presented by Alan Bennett with his usual sardonic humour. I wish they would show it again - I don't think it's available on DVD.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William and Kate Middleton are receiving guidance from the clergy ahead of their wedding | Mail Online
I didn't know where in the world to put this tbh so I just put it here for now

there's another article suggesting William gave out invites to members of FIFA and after the bitter loss for England is considering taking them back but it sounds too fake and off to be true so I didn't bother posting but for those curious it's on Independant.co.uk
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
I didn't see this posted yet, but there was an article in Hello today stating no foreign royals would be attending the wedding. I wouldn't really expect Hello to know this kind of stuff, but I find it hard to believe. Has anyone else heard anything like this? What royals attended Charles and Diana's wedding? I think one of my favorite parts of the wedding will be to see all the royals, so it would be very dissapointing to me if this is indeed true.
I read somewhere that because he's not the heir to the throne, only the heir to the heir, he's not required to invite foreign dignitaries but that many are likely to attend. I've read so many articles, many laughable at best, that it's hard to say if this article was in a credible magazine/paper or a questionable one.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
I read somewhere that because he's not the heir to the throne, only the heir to the heir, he's not required to invite foreign dignitaries but that many are likely to attend. I've read so many articles, many laughable at best, that it's hard to say if this article was in a credible magazine/paper or a questionable one.
True, but he IS going to be the future King and we all hope he will only marry once. That being the case, I wonder if it still won't be considered important that foreign dignitaries attend. If he isn't required to invite them, I doubt he will unless it's important to his father and the Queen.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Majesty

I certainly hope that this is true and that the clergymen involved won't be afraid to give words of caution if any are needed. It's always bothered me that Robert Runcie, by his own admission, didn't feel comfortable about the match between William's parents but kept his own counsel about it and didn't try to advise them.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Palace has released a list of things which can and cannot be produced as official souvenirs for the Royal Wedding using the soon to be released Testino shots
Killjoys at Palace ban tea towels marking the Royal Wedding | The Sun |News
Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Courtier

Prince William and Kate Middleton`s wedding present is out of this world - Monsters and Critics
an article i found, not sure how true it is, though:)
Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Most of the foreign royals are family. King Constantine & Queen Anne-Marie are definites as are, I think, the Spanish royals. The Norwegiens are also close so they will more than likely be there. As for the others ........
Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I have said before that the royal representatives will be there only because it is a royal wedding, and not because they actually want to be there. Due to the BRF lack of IMO European friendship. Royals went to Princess Victoria's wedding because they wanted to be there, they were all friends. I don't think William has met the foreign heirs more than twice, his fathers wedding if then and his fathers birthday.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I have said before that the royal representatives will be there only because it is a royal wedding, and not because they actually want to be there. Due to the BRF lack of IMO European friendship. Royals went to Princess Victoria's wedding because they wanted to be there, they were all friends. I don't think William has met the foreign heirs more than twice, his fathers wedding if then and his fathers birthday.
It makes sense to me that he will have to make more of an effort with the other Royal houses for his future role, and this might be a good time to start. Since Prince Charles is paying for the wedding, and the Queen is paying for the reception, I am sure they will have influence on the guest lists for both. It will be interesting to see who is on the invite list once it's finalized.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Aristocracy

Some of William's Royal cousins in Europe will wish to attend but some may well have other plans.

Though I put little stock in what Paul Burrell has to say, he is claiming that of the 2,000 guests, Kate Middleton's guest list is only for 100 attendees. If that is correct, I'm sure William will encourage her to suggest guests he can add to his list on her behalf. It will be interesting to see who turns up from all walks of life.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
It makes sense to me that he will have to make more of an effort with the other Royal houses for his future role, and this might be a good time to start. Since Prince Charles is paying for the wedding, and the Queen is paying for the reception, I am sure they will have influence on the guest lists for both. It will be interesting to see who is on the invite list once it's finalized.
I agree, William hasn't made an effort to get to know his european counterparts, yes he isn't the heir but he will one day be King and friendliness in Europe wouldn't do any harm.
A lot of monarchs and royal houses respect and know Prince Charles and The Queen and that is one other reason they may attend.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't think William has met the foreign heirs more than twice, his fathers wedding if then and his fathers birthday.
It is difficult to tell how many times William may have met some of the other European heirs. Whilst the two most recent large gatherings of Euroepan royals in the UK have been at Charles' 60th and at the C&C wedding, it is well known that some them visit their British counterparts privately. William may well have met a number of the broader European family at such private events.

The other point to note is that whilst Victoria / Philippe / Haakon / W-A are of broadly similar age, they are substantially younger than Charles, and older than William and Harry - hence, there is a less obvious connection.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well the two most recent large gatherings of royals would be Victoria & Daniels and Charles' 60th.
They may have met privately, but i'm sure we would have seen some pictures of european royals arriving in the UK. William IMO, doesn't seem to have much time for anyone outside the UK.

Yes most heirs in Europe are around the same age range, however Victoria being the youngest heir at 33 and Phillipe being the eldest besides Charles at 50. There is a 5 year age gap between Victoria and William, and a 17 year age gap between Victoria and Phillipe who are quite good friends.

Victoria, Haakon and Frederik have always been close friends for some times, due to their countries being close. But Frederik is 9 years older than Victoria and Haakon is 4.

Age IMO has nothing to do with it, it is the fact that William hasn't been bothered or has seen no reason to make friends with foreign royals.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Age IMO has nothing to do with it, it is the fact that William hasn't been bothered or has seen no reason to make friends with foreign royals.
Do you have any basis for your assertions above, or shall we just not let facts get in the way of a good line?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I started the line with In My Opinion, do I need evidence to back up my opinion? It is what I have formulated in my head from what I have seen.
If he was friends with foreign royals, I am sure we would have seen him with them more would we not?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I started the line with In My Opinion, do I need evidence to back up my opinion? It is what I have formulated in my head from what I have seen.
If he was friends with foreign royals, I am sure we would have seen him with them more would we not?
As Charles is a friend of Constantine and the younger heirs are friends/cousins of his son Pavlos, I guess there could have been lots of occasions for William to meet them in private. AFAIK Charles is a personal friend of Carl XVI. Gustaf and Silvia and they meet whenever the Swedes come to holiday in Scotland, which they seem to do more often than is known. At least that's what the owner of a Top hotel in Scotland told me about their weekend stays there.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Quote:
The problem there was your use of the word "fact". There will be plenty that you haven't seen, nor the rest of us.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
As Charles is a friend of Constantine and the younger heirs are friends/cousins of his son Pavlos, I guess there could have been lots of occasions for William to meet them in private. AFAIK Charles is a personal friend of Carl XVI. Gustaf and Silvia and they meet whenever the Swedes come to holiday in Scotland, which they seem to do more often than is known. At least that's what the owner of a Top hotel in Scotland told me about their weekend stays there.
You have expressed my point, Charles is friends with these people, not William.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding