The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Courtier

Personally I don't know any woman who has chosen her own ring. Every time a friend/family has become engaged their partner has always had the ring on them when asking - I mean if you are ready to get get married then you should surely know what type of ring to buy.

This all seems to be more of the Diana Vs Charles thing to me. He can remember Diana without it being an insult to Charles and he can be happy about Charles and Camilla without it being an insult to Diana. I think that it is sad if the story that Charles just had ring sent over for Diana to choose from and didn't even that the time to choose one himself is true. I also don't think it is insulting to Kate to give her the ring - I doubt that he told her that they could only get married if she wore his mothers ring. I think he was simply trying to do something nice.

I was a bit disappointed when I heard that he had given that ring to Kate only because I never really liked it but I have to say I don think it suits Kate. Perhaps she has a darker skin tone or longer fingers or something but it just seems nicer. Or maybe it is just that there are much better photographs of it this time.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Courtier

When my husband asked me to marry him, he didn't have a ring - but he said he want's me to have a realy nice one; so we went together to a goldsmith and designed it there and then - some weeks later we picked it up.

One of my sisters was presented with a family heirloom, the others chose for themselves .. I think it differs between countries and also between social groups.

There are a lot of diffrent ways it can be done .. even no ring at all is a posibility

For William it's his mother .. he knew her mostly privat .. our view's of Diana are only made by what we got to know through the media... so quit a diffrent thing alltogether.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I know I have no real reason to think this but I just doubt she was called Catherine that much if it's not how her friends or Willism call her, not saying she doesn't have the right to use it since it is her name, just saying that seems to be if that's what she is usually called her fiancé would call her that-
With names that have several variations, I don't think it's unusual to find different usage between family and friends. My brother has always been Michael or Mike within the family, but when he went to work and left home his colleagues and friends called him Mick, and that's what his wife usually calls him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
It could be read that Catherine and William actually would have preferred a March wedding but due to "public" wishes they had to go for late April.
I don't think they could have married during Lent, so it had to be after Easter.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Anyone of the opinion that this "sudden" engagement may have been brought about by pressure from HM or PoW? You know, "fish or cut bait?"
This is NOT an indication that I believe PW is/has been insincere in his long association with Catherine, but I do wonder if he got a royal "nudge."
Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Anyone of the opinion that this "sudden" engagement may have been brought about by pressure from HM or PoW? You know, "fish or cut bait?"
Maybe Prince Charles suggested that William should get married with woman he loves,instead of repeating his father's errors,it could have helped to bring this decision.After all HM wants that Prince Phillip will still be alive at his grandson's wedding
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I think she had a choice and chose to wear the ring to her it must mean a lot that he felt she should have something from his mother. As for no comparisons if he bought a new ring I think there would have been some. Such as it's not as pretty as Diana's why didn't he giver her Diana's ring.
I agree, if he had went off and gotten a new ring people would still be waiting for her to appear in Diana's .... when she became a mother and birthday ect....
Old 12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness

Also, maybe his mother mentioned to him that someday she'd love to see him marry someone with that ring, so he wanted to keep that memory of her alive in that-

She still wore the ring after the divorce, heck I think she was even buried in her wedding ring, so obviously it was important to her, and thus when she passed became important to him.....Kate doesn't seem to mind, and seemed to think it was romantic .....
Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Also, maybe his mother mentioned to him that someday she'd love to see him marry someone with that ring, so he wanted to keep that memory of her alive in that-

She still wore the ring after the divorce, heck I think she was even buried in her wedding ring, so obviously it was important to her, and thus when she passed became important to him.....Kate doesn't seem to mind, and seemed to think it was romantic .....
Some people on this forum seem to have more problems with it than Kate/Catherine herself from what we know.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

It is not uncommon for wedding rings to be buried with their owner. Here in the US, it is supposedly illegal to bury a loved one whilst wearing "expensive" jewelry (to ward off grave robbing possibilities). However, wedding bands are sometimes buried with their owner. Although not royal, an example is John F. Kennedy; he's buried with his wedding ring and Jackie's wedding ring.

I don't know what the Royal Family's traditions would be. Good research subject and I hope that someone takes it up.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Some people on this forum seem to have more problems with it than Kate/Catherine herself from what we know.
Yes, some of us do have problems with this. But remember that all our feelings are tempered by our own desires and a lot of people would not want to haul around a piece of jewelry with such a sad, heavy, recent history.

Personally, I would have preferred to see it recycled in another manner.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Frankly, it was his Mother's ring and he loved her very much and wanted to share that feeling with his fiancee. He, possibly, planned to do this, no matter whom he married. I am sure Kate said, it was fine, maybe more than fine. No one here knows anything, except it was Diana's.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
This is NOT an indication that I believe PW is/has been insincere in his long association with Catherine, but I do wonder if he got a royal "nudge."
Huh? There is nothing at all "sudden" about two people getting engaged after 8 years together.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

I think William moved according to his own standards and was not nudged on by anyone. He comes across to me as someone who decides in his own time.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

It was "sudden" to me. Did you know about it beforehand? Eight years "together" has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It was "sudden" to me. Did you know about it beforehand? Eight years "together" has nothing to do with it.
Why would you be surprised when an engagement is announced between two people who have been together for eight years?
It's not like their relationship came out of nowhere, so what made it "sudden" to you?

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm just asking a question.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I see....so because he didn't announce to the world he was going to propose to Kate before he did so, it is "sudden" to you.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

You're right Princess Carmen. Besides Kate Middleton is partial to blue, as is William. Just look at their wardrobe choices.

A ring has no 'baggage' in and of itself. It has a history, in this case, of a young woman who was more of a success than a failure. A woman who wore that ring in hope, not in defeat. Dismantling the stones and destroying the design would never change it basically. The ring had no control over Diana's happiness. The ring brought her no sorrow. It remains a small symbol of the union which brought her the sons she adored. I think Kate chose that ring because I believe William gave her a choice and I further believe that together, they will change history, not just for a ring but for a Kingdom.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
It is not uncommon for wedding rings to be buried with their owner. Here in the US, it is supposedly illegal to bury a loved one whilst wearing "expensive" jewelry (to ward off grave robbing possibilities). However, wedding bands are sometimes buried with their owner. Although not royal, an example is John F. Kennedy; he's buried with his wedding ring and Jackie's wedding ring.

I don't know what the Royal Family's traditions would be. Good research subject and I hope that someone takes it up.
Oh I'd be buried with my wedding ring IF I was still married- she was divorced so I believe that makes it seem even more significant they chose to bury her with wedding ring- like obviously special to her Just my opinion
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen or the POW nudging William on to a proposal? Not likely at all. He explains his timing in the interview and is not known to rely on others for his decisions, quite the contrary.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

To throw my own two cents in the pot, if a man proposed to me with a ring that had been in his family for generations and I threw it back in his face because I hadn't gotten to pick it out or because it wasn't new, do you know what that would make me look like?

A greedy, materialistic shrew.

When a man proposes marriage, the ring itself is secondary to the fact this person whom you deeply love wants to spend the rest of their life with you. He could give you a ring that came from a $0.25 machine and if you truly love him and want to marry him, you'll wear that ring on your finger with as much pride as you would a diamond from Tiffany's. The idea that if a man proposes with an heirloom ring or a ring that belonged to a beloved family member, it means they want to marry their mother/grandmother/great-grandmother/other relative or that they don't really love you is just a pile of wank.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding