The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Lenora's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Do you mean something like Gwen Stefani wore on her wedding day?

I don't think that is appropriate at all for a royal wedding, makes it too modern. Just my opinion of course.
Not qiute Gwen,maybe something more sophisticated and closer to classical style
__________________

  #642  
Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 629
Unhappy

i feel sorry for William, because no matter HOW much he wants to change things and do everything his own way, there will be little he can change in his lifetime. This is royalty, EVERYTHING can't be changed suddenly, years of tradition can't be written off. They will try to change one small step at a time...maybe by the time of William's grandchildren, things will be immensely different. Or maybe even by the time his children are older.

"treacherous world" is it really that bad:(
__________________

  #643  
Old 11-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
i feel sorry for William, because no matter HOW much he wants to change things and do everything his own way, there will be little he can change in his lifetime. This is royalty, EVERYTHING can't be changed suddenly, years of tradition can't be written off. They will try to change one small step at a time...maybe by the time of William's grandchildren, things will be immensely different. Or maybe even by the time his children are older.

"treacherous world" is it really that bad:(
That's royalty.
If he didn't want to live by it, he could have easily opted out.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #644  
Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Chimene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 576
Tradition serves a purpose and has its usefulness. You can make modification and operate differently from the yesteryears without changing the rules completely. Charles had to marry a virgin because he felt it was his duty, but today William did not have to suffer the same fate and that's an example of adjusting to the times. I don't think the royals have to change as much as they need to evolve.
__________________
The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind. ~ Albert Camus
  #645  
Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
I think it's inevitable and desirable that William will get quite a lot of his way, partly because the current mood seems to be that the country wants a young, attractive, accomplished leader who holds down a proper job.

Having said that, HM the Queen is still an iconic figure (more iconic than Diana, I think) because of her work ethic.
  #646  
Old 11-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Chimene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 576
^Yes, which is why William's choice of a bride baffles me so much because her work ethic is somewhat questionable. She seems to be a very old-fashioned choice minus the virgin part, unless she's the type to want the ring securely on her finger before she starts imposing herself. In any case, this whole thing is being played rather oddly, and maybe that's because we live in a very different media time.
__________________
The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind. ~ Albert Camus
  #647  
Old 11-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,282
I still wonder where the label "questionable work ethic" comes from?
  #648  
Old 11-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Lenora's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
^Yes, which is why William's choice of a bride baffles me so much because her work ethic is somewhat questionable. She seems to be a very old-fashioned choice minus the virgin part, unless she's the type to want the ring securely on her finger before she starts imposing herself. In any case, this whole thing is being played rather oddly, and maybe that's because we live in a very different media time.
I think William made heart choice and that's the most important of all.It's a revolutionary choice of future Princess Wales,as she has no royal blood.But it's good choice;about virginity we could not talk more as they have been dating 8 years,thus "practicing long enough together " as Prince Charles said.
After all,Kate has a very good reputation,nearly virgin.
  #649  
Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Chimene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I think William made heart choice and that's the most important of all.It's a revolutionary choice of future Princess Wales,as she has no royal blood.But it's good choice;about virginity we could not talk more as they have been dating 8 years,thus "practicing long enough together " as Prince Charles said.
After all,Kate has a very good reputation,nearly virgin.
That's one way of looking at it. She's a safe and old-fashioned choice, except she's not a virgin, is what I meant to say.
__________________
The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind. ~ Albert Camus
  #650  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
I still wonder where the label "questionable work ethic" comes from?
I wonder the same thing. Is it because we have not seen her working yet? Besides, who or what decides when a work ethic is "questionable"?

In the engagement interview she said that she has worked hard for her parents' company, I suppose that doesn't count with some?
  #651  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Chimene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 576
I don't believe for one minute she worked that hard for her parents, but in the spirit of not starting an argument over who's opinion matter more or who's right or wrong, I take the statement back.
__________________
The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind. ~ Albert Camus
  #652  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
I don't believe for one minute she worked that hard for her parents, but in the spirit of not starting an argument over who's opinion matter more or who's right or wrong, I take the statement back.
May I ask why you don't believe it?
  #653  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 629
I think too that she is a safe bet, and easy to handle, and thats why she has that ring on her finger.
  #654  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Some people are talking about Kates virginity, which I think 1 = a very personal topic and 2 = people are saying she isn't a virgin, yes this isn't likely, but we cannot state it as fact unless you know Kate personally.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #655  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 858
Prince Harry asks Chelsy Davy to royal wedding and Pippa Middleton may be lady-in-waiting | Mail Online

Bridesmaids I like both these girls.

I am very much looking forward to the Monaco wedding too.
  #656  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
I still wonder where the label "questionable work ethic" comes from?
Initially from the paparazzi and press, I think. They would have loved her to have a job where she could have been stalked day and night, but they were frustrated in these desires. So they took their revenge by labelling her "workshy", and gullible tabloid readers have followed suit. Some jealousy involved, too, I'd guess.

Fortunately for Kate, there is a family business, and this was an option which allowed her to keep a bit of privacy. I think it was a discreet solution.

Of course, many people work in family businesses - it's nothing out of the ordinary, and I doubt most of them have to put up with such sneers and accusations.
  #657  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Some people are talking about Kates virginity, which I think 1 = a very personal topic and 2 = people are saying she isn't a virgin, yes this isn't likely, but we cannot state it as fact unless you know Kate personally.
Totally agreed, that is the last thing that is our business.
  #658  
Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Chimene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 576
For every gullible tabloid readers, you have equal amount of observers that are willing to be whitewashed.

I don't care whether Kate is a virgin or not, and if you think I was discussing virginity, then you missed my point which is fine.
__________________
The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind. ~ Albert Camus
  #659  
Old 11-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
You said "very old fashioned choice minus the virgin part", and then went on to say "except she's not a virgin". You may have been talking about the fact that she is old-fashioned but you kept bringing up her virginity. When there was no need to. You could have explained your point without mentioning her virginity. Btw, how do you know whether she has or hasn't lost it?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #660  
Old 11-28-2010, 03:40 PM
4Pam's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 2,965
I think the virgin thing is very personal issue to both Kate and William. And if she did keep it bravo for her.
__________________

__________________
Absence is, in my opinion, important to find out whether something in your life is meaningful and important! It may be difficult to endure, but the end result is always revealing.
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess charlene outfits princess madeleine princess madeleine hats princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion royal royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises