The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Courtier

myroyal's: THE PRESENT FROM PR

If this is true, the colors may clue us in to the overall bridesmaids' or other color scheme.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Nobility

Interview of the florist in the Telegraph:

The six English field maples and two hornbeams, which are up to 20ft tall, arrived at the Abbey today as it prepared to close its doors to visitors for the wedding preparations to begin in earnest.

Shane Connolly, the florist chosen to decorate the Abbey, said he wanted to achieve a “wow” factor with the design, in which Miss Middleton played a hands-on role.

The aisle will be decked with native flowers filled with symbolism and grown on the royal estates after the bride-to-be told him: “It has to be British.”

He said: “Catherine is a dream client…like few other brides I've ever met. She has an incredibly good eye.

“Right from the beginning she wanted it to be English, natural, seasonal, ethical, and they're all my great keywords as well.”

Mr Connolly, 47, who is originally from Belfast and designed the bouquet and flowers for the Prince of Wales’s wedding to the Duchess of Cornwall in 2005, said he was told about the commission just before Christmas when St James’s Palace asked him to “pop in and discuss something”.
Since then he has held several meetings with Miss Middleton, who was joined at some of them by Prince William, who helped in “a nice and encouraging way”.
Mr Connolly said the bridal bouquet would remain a secret until the wedding day, but added that both he and the bride believed that "green is a very important thing".
The seasonal flowers being used in the displays include Solomon's seal, brought from Sandringham, which symbolises confirmation of love; azaleas, the Chinese symbol of femininity; lilacs, which represent first love, and blossoms, signifying spiritual beauty.
Other blooms being used include rhododendron, euphorbias, beech and wisteria, mostly from Windsor Great Park.
"One of the things that has been very important to Catherine and to me are the meanings of flowers and the language of flowers," Mr Connolly said.
"We've tried, especially in the wedding bouquets, which you'll see on the day, we've tried very much to make beautiful stories.
"The symbolism means a lot to her and also the sourcing has been hugely important.”
The English field maple symbolises humility and reserve, and was used to make loving cups in medieval times, while the hornbeam signifies resilience.
The trees will also evoke Miss Middleton’s home village of Bucklebury, Berks., where the family home lies on an avenue of oaks planted to commemorate a visit to the village by Queen Anne in the 17th century.
Mr Connolly said he hoped the Abbey would look "understated".
He added: "I think you can get wow in several ways and certainly it won't be 'wow, what an extravagance'. It will be 'how beautiful' and hopefully 'how perfectly suited to the day and the nature of the marriage'."
After the wedding, the flowers and trees will remain in situ for a week, where visitors to the Abbey will be able to enjoy them, before the trees are taken to the Prince of Wales’s Highgrove estate, where they will be planted as a permanent reminder of the day.
The team working alongside Mr Connolly includes the Middletons' local family florist, Emma Sampson, 27, who owns the florist Green Parlour in Bucklebury.
She said: "Catherine asked us herself and it was wonderful, I mean, what an honour to be asked to do such a fantastic event and use some amazing flowers hopefully as well."
The young florist said she would be assisting Mr Connolly with two large arrangements that are to be placed on either side of where the bride and groom will be sitting.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Nobility

LOOK AT THE ARTICLE PLEASE, PHOTO OF KATE WITH A NEW HAIR....

Royal wedding 2011: Prince William leaves Kate Middleton's family home | Mail Online
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl

If this is true, the colors may clue us in to the overall bridesmaids' or other color scheme.
I love hot pink...I hope the bridesmaids wear this color:)
Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

WOW! I can't say I expected real trees in the Abbey, but it sounds look it will be absolutely beautiful! And if the Prince of Wales gets bored he can always lean over and talk to one of them!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

The trees do look lovely..I can't wait to see the flowers. This looks like this is going to be gorgeous.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

The trees are getting me excited now!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Gentry

Are the trees going to be on the actual aisle or on the perimeter of the Abbey? If it's on the actual abbey I would imagine some guests view would be blocked.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The trees do look lovely..I can't wait to see the flowers. This looks like this is going to be gorgeous.
From what I've been reading, it sounds like Kate really has had a hands-on approach with all of the flora and fauna for this wedding. I love how the trees will be planted at Highgrove after they're removed from the Abbey. Seems that she wants things to be very green, seasonal, British and every flower has some special meaning to it.

What is in her wedding bouquet is still very secret but now I'd not be one bit surprised if it contained "Sweet Williams".
Old 04-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

It sounds beautiful- a forest glade!

(Expensive though; they don't seem to have skimped on the floral arrangements).
Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Nobility

If I were marrying into Nobility neither would I.
What girl would?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I completely agree! I love that they are using living trees, both for the environmental element (they can later be replanted and keep living) and for how pretty the foliage is. So, so lovely.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post

I would love to see touches white, gold and bright pink, but I can't see dresses in that bright pink color.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes the church is nice enough to stand by itself but I don't see anything wrong with spicing it up and putting her touches, her personality, on it. I love nature and I don't think it's an overkill at all.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Sorry, but I find the trees to be overkill. Is the Abbey not beautiful enough? Did Kate not want to be married in a church?
That sounds like Prince Charles' contribution. I can't imagine Kate walked into the cathedral and claimed "What about living trees!", however I can certainly see Prince Charles doing that. After all, he is paying for the wedding and probably cringed at the thought of using cut flowers and greenery.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trees were also used as part of the decorations at St Georges Chapel for Charles and Camilla's blessing. It's an unusual idea and certainly more "eco-friendly" as the trees will be replanted - so you get a huge floral/greenary impact with no waste!

I can understand what KittyAtlanta says because the Abbey is absolutely stunning. But it is a vast space with extremely high vaulted ceilings, and I think the uncomplicated simplicity of the trees will not distract from the architectural beauty of the abbey. If anything they will draw the eye upwards towards the ceiling.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
WOW! I can't say I expected real trees in the Abbey, but it sounds look it will be absolutely beautiful! And if the Prince of Wales gets bored he can always lean over and talk to one of them!
LMAO!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Sorry, but I find the trees to be overkill. Is the Abbey not beautiful enough? Did Kate not want to be married in a church?

Who knows, but, as long as she is getting married in such a grand church why not fill it with lovely meaningful flowers and breath taking trees. she wont please everyone so I hope she pleases herself and William.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Something just struck me about these living trees that will be a part of the deco for Westminster Abbey. Maybe in some aspect this is for William and Kate another silent tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales.

From what I've read on the subject, leading up to the Oval island where Diana is interred, there is an arboretum where both William and Harry planted trees both as children and after their mother's passing. One source I've read somewhere online reported that 36 tress were planted in 1997, one for each year of Diana's life.

Trees can make such a wonderful living remembrance of any occasion that is important and it doesn't surprise me in the least that William and Kate are doing this. Everything going into this wedding has been given a lot of thought by both the bride and the groom so I really have to believe that there's reasons behind the trees.

"The pair also visited an ancient arboretum where William and Prince Harry planted trees as children."

Read more: Prince William Takes Kate Middleton to Visit Diana’s Grave at Althorp - TIME NewsFeed
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does everything have to be about Diana?

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding