The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Nobility

Doesn't The Queen usually spend the weekend at Windsor when possible?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Doesn't The Queen usually spend the weekend at Windsor when possible?
Yes....unless of course it is one of the times in the year when she is at Sandringham [Christmas and New Year until February] or Scotland [August until Ocotober].

Royal Watchers and tourists in the know sometimes wait outside Buckingham Palace on Thursday or Friday Afternoon [depending on the Queen's Engagements] to watch her depart for weekends in Windsor [a good chance of a 'Queen-Sighting' if you see what I mean]

Alex

Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know the precessional music played at Charles and Diana's wedding? I know I should know the name, I've heard it all my life - but I can't for the life of me remember what the name is.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Does anyone know the precessional music played at Charles and Diana's wedding? I know I should know the name, I've heard it all my life - but I can't for the life of me remember what the name is.

From memory it was The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke, known more often by its title of 'The Trumpet Voluntary'

Alex
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Well no but on the website this is the picture they had under that headline. Says the photos are from her first wedding.
Kate's been married before???? (JK!)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
Kate's been married before???? (JK!)
Now that would be real news! DM must have a saved article about something like that!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks, Alex.

Now I thought of another question. So Prince Charles will ride with Mrs Middleton on the way back from the Abbey, and Mr. Middleton will ride with...Camilla? Is Camilla sitting in as Prince William's mom for this occasion or will it be his mother's sister?

It seemed obvious to me that it would be Camilla but then I realized that I have no real clue. Would William's grandmother, the Queen, sit in for his mother?

If it is Charles and Camilla, will the order of the carriages be the same? (Won't Charles and Mrs Middleton go first, as opposed to Charles and Diana's wedding, where of course the Queen and the Earl went first after the bridal couple, IIRC).

If this has been asked and answered, I apologize - it's a long thread.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Courtier

I am just about to turn in for the night, so let me think this one through.....

It may be that the Queen [as Monarch] will follow Prince William and Catherine;
the reason I need to think it through is that out of a form of 'deference' to the late Princess of Wales, it might seem a little, well tactless is NOT quite the word I am looking for, but anyway it will have to do for now] to have Camilla to be seen to be 'standing in' as a form of 'Stepmother'; by way of analogy don't forget how, after the marriage of the Prince of Wales and Camilla, the Queen was quick to announce the change in female precedence i.e. with Camilla placed after the Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra,when logically as the wife to the heir of the throne you would have expected Camilla to take precedence over the Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra.... but I think that the Queen chose to 'alter' the conventional way of thinking as a form of giving a tacit 'nod' to the fact that Camilla had been the 'third party' in a rather unpleasant 'love triangle'...

I will come back to this one tomorrow when I have had a little think.

Alex
Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
Thanks, Alex.

Now I thought of another question. So Prince Charles will ride with Mrs Middleton on the way back from the Abbey, and Mr. Middleton will ride with...Camilla? Is Camilla sitting in as Prince William's mom for this occasion or will it be his mother's sister?

It seemed obvious to me that it would be Camilla but then I realized that I have no real clue. Would William's grandmother, the Queen, sit in for his mother?

If it is Charles and Camilla, will the order of the carriages be the same? (Won't Charles and Mrs Middleton go first, as opposed to Charles and Diana's wedding, where of course the Queen and the Earl went first after the bridal couple, IIRC).

I actually believe it was annouced that it'll be the Queen and DOE in one carriage and POW and Camilla with Mr and Mrs Middleton in another and then the bridesmaids/Henry/Pippa in another, I shall search for the link .....
Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Royal wedding: heavy rain forecast for big day - Telegraph

It's the news the country had been dreading: the royal wedding could be hit by heavy showers as cooler weather sweeps across the south-east, forecasters have predicted.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Dunno if this has been suggested yet, but I don't care for any of the rumors that Kanye, Beyonce, Joss Stone performing at the reception. I'm think they should have St. Andrew's "Other Guys" there!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Thanks, Alex.

The Wedding Carriages

Quote:
There will be five horse-drawn carriages in the Carriage Procession from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace. The first carriage will be the 1902 State Landau or Glass Coach carrying the Bride and the Bridegroom. The second and third carriages will be Ascot Landaus carrying the Best Man, Maid of Honour and Bridesmaids. The fourth carriage will be a Semi-State Landau carrying The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. The fifth carriage will be a Semi-State Landau carrying The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and Mr and Mrs Middleton.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Thank you SM , I knew I'd read that info somewhere :)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Aristocracy

Never mind, the good Sister beat me to it.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I actually believe it was annouced that it'll be the Queen and DOE in one carriage and POW and Camilla with Mr and Mrs Middleton in another and then the bridesmaids/Henry/Pippa in another, I shall search for the link .....
Here is the link you are looking for:

The Wedding Carriages
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Dunno if this has been suggested yet, but I don't care for any of the rumors that Kanye, Beyonce, Joss Stone performing at the reception. I'm think they should have St. Andrew's "Other Guys" there!
You're not serious are you?...lol.

With the amount of publicity they have attempted to squeeze from their connection with the duo and that they have spoken at some length about William and Catherine with world media, there is not a chance and neither should there be.

"Blake" Gets me everytime!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Serene Highness

from twitter

Opera Gallery in London will be unveiling the portraits of Will & Kate by artist Andre Monet..tomorrow Tuesday April 26th.

@UK_RoyalWedding
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Thank you SM , I knew I'd read that info somewhere :)
Oops Sorry! I didn't see that SM posted the link.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Now that would be real news! DM must have a saved article about something like that!
lmao noo but her first wedding as a bridesmaid though that was the headline
Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Nobility

WALL STREET JOURNAL - VATICAN CITY—The May 1 beatification of the late Pope John Paul II is an occasion for the Holy See to bask in the aura of a pontiff widely seen as a modern Catholic hero.

But a high-profile event involving another European institution, the House of Windsor, is stealing the Vatican's thunder. The wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton in London on April 29, two days before the beatification ceremony, is dominating news coverage around the world, leaving less time for the late pope.

In January, when the Vatican set the date for the beatification, Cardinal Josť Saraiva Martins, former head of the Vatican's saint-making department, said he expected more than two million faithful to show up for the event. Based on that prediction, Vatican and Italian tour operators booked entire hotels in Rome and its surroundings.
But the royal wedding date had already been announced several months earlier, and by March, Vatican officials had begun to lower expectations. Behind closed doors, Vatican officials told city event planners in Rome to prepare for as few as 150,000 people and only a handful of dignitaries, according to one planner.

Now, Vatican planners sound less than confident.
"I have indeed noticed that the wedding is drawing a lot of attention," says Father Caesar Atuire, chief executive of Vatican pilgrims' organization Opera Romana Pellegrinaggi, or ORP. "I wish these two young people all the best in life…but the events are on two different levels." Father Atuire notes that "there are still plenty of beds and rooms available all over the city."

The Vatican has been doing its best to make the beatification go viral, with a website, a Facebook page and Twitter account, and a digital communication service to promote the event via social networking. Vatican museums will stay open until late at night on the days before and after the ceremony, and volunteers will distribute snacks to those who plan to attend the three scheduled events—a vigil, the beatification ceremony itself and a Mass.

At a recent Vatican news conference, the Rev. Walter Insero, a spokesman for the Diocese of Rome, implored reporters to help drum up interest on Facebook and "invite your friends."

Despite the marketing efforts, TV networks aren't planning to pull out all the stops for John Paul II, as they once did, longtime Vatican observers say. "There won't be a lot of space to cover the beatification because all the attention is going to be on England." said Sabina Castelfranco, an Italy-based reporter with CBS Corp.'s CBS TV.

Msgr. Slawomir Oder, the church official who has advanced the case for the late pope's sainthood, bemoans the attention the royal wedding is getting. "In today's world, gossip makes more news and gathers more of an audience," he says.

It isn't the first time the Vatican has had to share the spotlight with the British royals.

In 2005, the world was riveted as a panoply of dignitaries and four million pilgrims flooded Rome for John Paul II's funeral. Chants of "Santo subito"—"Sainthood now"—rose from the crowd in St. Peter's Square, setting the Polish pope on the path to beatification, the last step before someone is declared a saint.

But days later, the media spotlight swung impiously to Buckingham Palace as Prince Charles married Camilla Parker Bowles.

Fans of the pope are chafing over the Vatican's sense of timing, because the overlap had seemed avoidable.

The royals announced their wedding date in November, two months before the Vatican set its schedule.

Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, the archbishop of Krakow, who was John Paul II's private secretary, insisted the beatification should coincide with the May 1 Labor Day weekend, giving Poles enough time to travel to Rome, Msgr. Oder said. Now, Vatican officials are struggling with the consequences of their decision.

"I would have liked to attend both the events and I don't see how I will be able to do it" said Francesco Montorsi, a university researcher who lives in Rome and Paris and who attended John Paul II's funeral.

Pope's Beatification Vies With Royal Wedding for Public Eye - WSJ.com

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding