The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammas26
My husband and I have been married for 34 years (in June). He still has his wedding band but cannot wear it due to the nature of his work. Come on people, can't you see the wisdom in William not wearing a ring in his line of work? I have always believed a married man is married whether or not it shows on his hands. Besides who would miss this wedding???
I think a wedding ring says more than "hey I'm married!". We will all know he's married but I think it's respectful for a man to wear one for his wife. Your husband is understandable but I don't see Will doing any kind of work that could hinder him from wearing it (except perhaps when he's flying). It's a new day and age I think he should wear one. I'm so used to the ring being a major symbol of marriage and this is throwing me off.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
Royal Wedding: how to avoid it - Telegraph
Royal Wedding: how to avoid it

Desperate to avoid the royal wedding's dawn-to-dusk coverage? Sophie Campbell suggests a few places where you won’t hear the words 'Royal couple’.

Muriel, this is the one I want!

"No news, no television and no telephone" – just the spectacular surroundings of tiny Tsarabanijna Island, off north-west Madagascar, where you can loll about at Constance Lodge in bare feet and a pareo, sleeping in a thatched bungalow and eating seafood.
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
KittyAtlanta,
I have a cousin who lives in Bethlehem, GA, so perhaps I could do a dual clean-out of her closet and yours. Then we could have a huge yard sale and with the proceeds, go see the Royal Wedding in person. Perhaps that would get my zippadeedodah back for all things royal.
I work with a woman who lives in Bethlehem. Small world. You couldn't get me in London for the wedding!
--------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
Prince Philip has never worn a wedding ring. It's actually a relatively new custom for men to wear wedding rings, used to be unheard of.
Early on, he wore a band under his signet. It is visible in some photos.
-------------------------------------------------
William and no wedding ring:

It appears Kate doesn't care, as the report stated it was by their mutual consent.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
And I would not be very happy about it if I was Kate.
I think Kate is Ok with it. For what I understood it was decision made by the couple.

I think he should wear a ring, being the modern men he claims to be, I expected him to wear a band...
But anyway... It's their decision. If Kate is Ok with it, then so be it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Michael is the only man in the BRF who wears his wedding ring on his wedding finger,

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I find it odd that the other men in the family wear their rings on their little finger,but at least they do wear them. I know it's his choice but disappointed in William.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Quote:

Early on, he wore a band under his signet. It is visible in some photos.
-------------------------------------------------
William and no wedding ring:

It appears Kate doesn't care, as the report stated it was by their mutual consent.
Really? Oh, maybe it's because I'm used to more modern pictures & seeing him for the last 10-20 years rather than earlier years, I can't actually recall him ever wearing a ring of any kind, signet or wedding. Oh well, nevermind. Like I said earlier a ring does not make a marriage & if both are ok with it then that should be enough for everyone else.

Thinking about it though, my brother got married in Japan last year (he moved out there a few years ago to teach English) & neither he nor his wife wear any rings whatsoever. No engagement rings, no wedding rings, nothing, never bothered with them. Maybe that's a Japanese thing though, maybe they don't do rings...anyway, point is I don't think it matters if you have a ring or not. A ring won't guarantee your marriage works or give it luck or anything & nor will not having a ring automatically doom it or mean one person or the other isn't fully committed. So long the couple themselves know what it is between them then fine, have at it!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Prince Michael is the only man in the BRF who wears his wedding ring on his wedding finger,

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I find it odd that the other men in the family wear their rings on their little finger,but at least they do wear them. I know it's his choice but disappointed in William.
I think the ring on the little finger thing - which I hate by the way - is an old tradition for men in the upper classes, nobility etc. Started with the signet ring being worn on that finger, back in the day when signet rings were really in proper use, & then I guess just became the ring finger for all rings if you were a man of a certain class.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

There's a lot of mean press lately concerning William's hair loss, with jokes, etc.

Some of the comments are interesting, with one young man who lost his hair at 17 mentioning how unhappy it made him because of the jokes and people laughing at him. He said he's sure William feels just as bad.

I was wondering if the jokes are mostly from other men?
I think men put much more importance on hair loss than women do.
It seems to me that most women don't truly care about whether a man is bald or not; his other traits are more important.

What does everyone think?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Aristocracy

It is customary to wear a signet ring on the hand one uses the least...for William that would be his right () hand, a wedding band would be worn on his left () hand...wearing more than one ring is considered poor etiquette
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Aristocracy

I don't care about the hair. To paraphrase an earlier post, the inside is more important than the outside. That being said, I wanted my husband to wear a ring. To me it wasn't about being married, but we looked for one he liked, and it was a gift from me.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Nobility

recently this made the local news- This is their decision for Wills not to wear a ring and HRH will wear a band made with Welsh Gold..She is one very very lucky lady..Her time waiting was worth it..She has the Brass ring!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
It is customary to wear a signet ring on the hand one uses the least...for William that would be his right () hand, a wedding band would be worn on his left () hand...wearing more than one ring is considered poor etiquette
I really don't see William wearing a signet ring, it doesn't go with his "style" or should I say age. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I associate those rings with malandros (our version of vagrant) more than to royalty.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There's a lot of mean press lately concerning William's hair loss, with jokes, etc.

Some of the comments are interesting, with one young man who lost his hair at 17 mentioning how unhappy it made him because of the jokes and people laughing at him. He said he's sure William feels just as bad.

I was wondering if the jokes are mostly from other men?
I think men put much more importance on hair loss than women do.
It seems to me that most women don't truly care about whether a man is bald or not; his other traits are more important.

What does everyone think?
not very wedding related but, I'll state my point anyway :P
He should not be judge by the amount of hair is his had, but (and this is really hypocritical of me) I was watching a montage with a video timeline of their romance, and it showed pieces of when he went to Raleigh, with his father at St Andrews, The day he graduated, and all I could focus on was his hair! "Why ? why?" "he does have the money! does he not care?" "does he realize how much thinner is getting?" . I assume he does not care so, I'm ok with it

Marilyn's Royal Blog: Is Prince William's hair destroying the monarchy?

perhaps someone could ask him directly about the ring and/or the hair? :P

Recent tweets from Richard Palmer :
Prince William won't want to be outdone by his brother so look out for updates from RAF Valley on Friday in the UK

Great words from Prince Harry today. I've been travelling up to Anglesey, where Prince William will show the Queen around his base Friday.

Twitter
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20477911

Prince Harry plans to 'Embarass' Prince William in best man speech

And for William, there's the rub: "It's me and a couple of his friends, so between the three of us, we'll make sure that we dig him in the ribs a few times and embarrass him," Harry says. "Make him lose some hair."
Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
I've been told here that the Queen Mum wore her own family's tiara (the Strathmore? Did I get it right?) and that it's fairly unassuming looking (under her veil).
]
This blog is saying it was a gift but not worn wedding day- I am so confused on what's right.....but either way I used to like it for Kate but actually dislike it now, plus it might be tranished so then she probably can't wear it....

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/...more-rose.html
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
People Mobile: Homepage

Prince Harry plans to 'Embarass' Prince William in best man speech

And for William, there's the rub: "It's me and a couple of his friends, so between the three of us, we'll make sure that we dig him in the ribs a few times and embarrass him," Harry says. "Make him lose some hair."
more ? :P
How I would love to be a fly at this reception just to witness this speech. But he did also said his gradma would be in the room, so I imagine him doing some editing to deliver a PG13 version of the real thing.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Serene Highness

Certainly, in my parents' generation (which really wasn't that long ago, men did not routinely wear wedding rings in the parts of the country where I had family (mostly U.S. Western states).

Many working men where I live now don't wear them either, and some younger guys see it as a sign they are really doing things with their hands (it's dangerous to wear a ring if you are around many kinds of machinery, including engines).

Isn't William in the military?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Courtier

Okay, that is hysterical!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

If both Kate and William are ok with it then it's ultimately their decision and their opinion that matters but IMO I don't like the fact he won't be wearing a wedding band.

ETA: posted it in the electronic domain section but thought I'd post this here too

Shaw Media just released this:
SHAW MEDIA | SHAW MEDIA CELEBRATES THE YEAR'S MOST TALKED-ABOUT WEDDING WITH LIVE, ON-THE-GROUND REPORTING AND HOTLY ANTICIPATED PREMIERES
Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
more ? :P
How I would love to be a fly at this reception just to witness this speech. But he did also said his gradma would be in the room, so I imagine him doing some editing to deliver a PG13 version of the real thing.
Yeah with the type of audience he'll have, I'm sure he'll be choose he\is words very carefully, but I'd still love to be able to hear it.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
This blog is saying it was a gift but not worn wedding day- I am so confused on what's right.....but either way I used to like it for Kate but actually dislike it now, plus it might be tranished so then she probably can't wear it....

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Strathmore Rose
It says it was a gift for her wedding day, which means it was purchased for her to wear when she married.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding