The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
I love how some sites do one update after another, and then the next day, put a report about people being tired of reading about the couple. .... And the other day they do another piece about the couple!
I think the problem (from the media's point of view) is that there isn't really anything to report right now, but they know many people (I'm one!) will gladly read about the wedding if something is published.

I don't mind actual reporting, but the recent special on U.S. tv was ludicrous! It was, "Well, we don't know what her dress will be like, but it COULD be like this!" "We don't know what the cake will be like, but it COULD be like this!" "We don't know what the menu is, but it COULD be like this!" Except for Westminster Abbey and BP, they didn't have any real information about this wedding in that show at all.

(Yes, I watched all the way to the end anyway.)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
i love the look back, but i dont get why they looked so depressed in 1923 when Prince Albert married Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon?
I don't think they were depressed, necessarily. Photography was fairly new, and marriage was a very serious thing. I know the Queen Mum was used to posing for paintings, where one struck a fairly serious pose and had to hold it for awhile - many photographic portraits from this era seem stiff or depressed.

They just look very serious.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting. If I think about some of the couples from my favorite TV shows I can understand more what Jazz and KittyAtlanta are saying. Once they are officially together and the sexual tension is out I loose a nit of interest.

Since I see this as just the beginning of a long and happy life together (hopefully!) mine remains the same, if not bigger.

bethaliz6894 , they are not depressed . You ought to considerate the time the picture was taken, people were more reserved then, and royals even more so.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
i love the look back, but i dont get why they looked so depressed in 1923 when Prince Albert married Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon?
Definitely need to take the time (year 1922 or so) in consideration. Think about this...when their daughter Elizabeth married in 1947, the Archbishop of Canterbury (I believe it was him) had concerns with the wedding ceremony being broadcast on the radio. He thought people would listen to it in pubs and wouldn't take off their hats...and that was 20 plus years later!

If you look at a wide range of pictures from that era...no one is smiling in photographs. Wasn't there an old wives tale that smilling in a picture would take away your soul or something like that?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If you look at a wide range of pictures from that era...no one is smiling in photographs. Wasn't there an old wives tale that smilling in a picture would take away your soul or something like that?
Yes, they used to think that, but I think it was for all photographs, not just for when people were smilling. I think it was because of the flash that went off when the picture was taken.

About the older royal weddings, I am fascinated by The Queen's. Such a difficult time and she looked so gracious! She was a very beautiful young lady!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcra View Post
Yes, they used to think that, but I think it was for all photographs, not just for when people were smilling. I think it was because of the flash that went off when the picture was taken.

About the older royal weddings, I am fascinated by The Queen's. Such a difficult time and she looked so gracious! She was a very beautiful young lady!
Indeed I think when photography was still fairly new it took a long time with the exposure & flash etc for the photo to actually work so you had to stay still/posed for a fairly long time & it was obviously easier & more comfortable to hold a more stoic pose with little expression than a big smile etc. Also why lots of older photos many people were shown sitting down as opposed to standing etc.

And agree 100% on the Queen, I love her dress & especially her veil. I think both her & Phillip were very good looking when they were younger & I think we tend to forget just how beautiful she & he were now, as we are so used to her as she is now in her later years (not that they aren't both still good looking of course )
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
BBC News - Royal weddings of the past

Royal wedding: What past events were like
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/...hers-gown.html

This blog says Elizabeth- the Queen Mom- did not wear a tiara, which is true?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 AM
Serene Highness

aah, well.... DARK LOCHNAGAR: UFOs WILL BE WATCHING ROYAL WEDDING SAYS NUTJOB!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 AM
Serene Highness

I've been told here that the Queen Mum wore her own family's tiara (the Strathmore? Did I get it right?) and that it's fairly unassuming looking (under her veil).

Meanwhile, there's plenty more to be done with the wedding - here's Legoland's version of the wedding:

Royal Wedding: Kate Middleton and Prince William's big day recreated in Lego | Mail Online
Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Discusses the age of royal brides;
Typical bride is now aged 30 as couples wait to wed | Mail Online
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Royal wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton kiss - Telegraph

Royal wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton kiss

Like most women, Kate Middleton would have spent hours as a girl dreaming about her future wedding. Now she has been given a sneak preview – thanks to Lego.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Majesty

Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall's daughter Laura Lopes has wedding nerves - Telegraph

Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall's daughter Laura Lopes has wedding nerves

Laura Lopes is anxious about her daughter Eliza's role as one of the bridesmaids at Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I've been told here that the Queen Mum wore her own family's tiara (the Strathmore? Did I get it right?) and that it's fairly unassuming looking (under her veil).

Meanwhile, there's plenty more to be done with the wedding - here's Legoland's version of the wedding:

Royal Wedding: Kate Middleton and Prince William's big day recreated in Lego | Mail Online
I believe the Strathmore Rose tiara was a gift from her parents for her wedding. I never heard of it being a family tiara. I am personally not a fan of the Strathmore, although I know many here love it and hope that Kate wears it for the wedding. I hope to see her in something more substantial.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Courtier

Wow ...wedding cash cow....

So sweet: William and Kate PEZ dispensers - TODAY People - The Royals - TODAY.com
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall's daughter Laura Lopes has wedding nerves - Telegraph

Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall's daughter Laura Lopes has wedding nerves

Laura Lopes is anxious about her daughter Eliza's role as one of the bridesmaids at Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding.
Ah that's sort of sweet..... My fav part is learning the future Queen texts I guess I never thought of that before.... I wonder if she gets to keep her phone once she is a Royal or if there is a 'protection' issue?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Majesty

Royal Wedding: how to avoid it - Telegraph

Royal Wedding: how to avoid it

Desperate to avoid the royal wedding's dawn-to-dusk coverage? Sophie Campbell suggests a few places where you won’t hear the words 'Royal couple’.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Royal Highness

Prince William will not wear a wedding band per the couples wishes says Palace

http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20477900

Apparently this is official- so I guess they are not worried... I know some plp were wondering if he would and others thought it wrong for men not too but now we have more info! :) yeah more info!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Majesty

Prince Harry: 'We thought William would not marry Kate'

Prince Harry has disclosed that Prince William's friends and family did not think he would ever marry Kate Middleton.

Prince Harry: 'We thought William would not marry Kate' - Telegraph
Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
KittyAtlanta,
My sentiments exactly. I used to be on these forums all the time; now that Kate actually got the ring on her finger, I've lost interest. After seeing the wedding dress, I guess I'll have to find another way to spend my time - perhaps clean my closets???
And when you're finished with your closets, my address is....

LOL
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

CNN Announces Royal Wedding Coverage Plans - 2011-03-30 15:37:47 | Broadcasting & Cable

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding