The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Courtier

I can hardly wait for the date to be announced. My plan is to take some vacation time during that week so I can catch all the festivities leading up to it and enjoy the event itself live. I have 3 weeks to take by July, so I hope the chosen date will be April, May or June. Otherwise, I may not be able to....

Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
Unlimited money also helps!

ITA--not for an event like this. She needs to be elegant, and covered.
The royals don't have "unlimited money".
Why can't she wear a strapless dress and not be elegant?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Whether or Sarah does or does not attend the wedding, would be based on any relationship she has with William. She didn't attend Peter's wedding. Also, I am not sure if the BRF would want her presence to overshadow that of the bride and groom.

Furthermore, just because people are divorced it doesnt mean that all bonds are broken. As my uncle said...your mother divorced your Dad...we didn't. And he was certainly invited to my cousins wedding. Of course, my Mom wasn't happy but it wasn't about her or her day.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why can't she wear a strapless dress and not be elegant?
I suppose it has to do with personal opinion, and people who have the mentioned opinion think that a strapless dress is unsuitable for a church wedding. To most, or some and at least myself, strapless equals "easy, sexy, "Hollywood-ish" and in fashion". That is not what I and I think a lot of others want to see a church bride wearing.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I suppose it has to do with personal opinion, and people who have the mentioned opinion think that a strapless dress is unsuitable for a church wedding. To most, or some and at least myself, strapless equals "easy, sexy, "Hollywood-ish" and in fashion". That is not what I and I think a lot of others want to see a church bride wearing.
Yes. I watched a bride at a wedding recently repeatedly pulling up her strapless top while standing at the altar. She evidently didn't feel secure.

It's one thing to be fashionable, but really, there are lots of fashionable clothes which manage to have sleeves and modest necklines. Is Westminster Abbey the right place to show how sexy you are? Especially with 2 billion people around the world watching you?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Easy? If a woman is easy that means she's indiscriminate in her choice of sexual partners.

Yes, strapless dresses can be sexy, they are Hollywood and they are in fashion.....but the wearing of one doesn't make a woman "easy".
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 11-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Compared to all of us, they do. The $27,000 "average" wedding budget in the U.S. is a drop in the bucket to what will be spent on this wedding.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Compared to all of us, they do. The $27,000 "average" wedding budget in the U.S. is a drop in the bucket to what will be spent on this wedding.
The royals do not have unlimited money. Which was your statement.
They are richer than us, but so is every President for every country, so is Bill Gates, so is Mark Zuckerberg.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Let's try to stay on topic of this thread.........which is not the overall wealth of the British Royal Family, Bill Gates, the Presidents of every major country, etc.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 11-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Easy? If a woman is easy that means she's indiscriminate in her choice of sexual partners.

Yes, strapless dresses can be sexy, they are Hollywood and they are in fashion.....but the wearing of one doesn't make a woman "easy".
You misread what I meant. Easy has more meanings than the one you mentioned and I meant it as in "convenient". Like pulling a dress that you already have in your closet. None too special, imo.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I can understand why people may view a strapless dress as not right for a church wedding, especially a royal wedding.
However abcdyxz said that she should be elegant and covered, I don't see why strapless dresses cannot be elegant as well.

Quote:
Yes. I watched a bride at a wedding recently repeatedly pulling up her strapless top while standing at the altar. She evidently didn't feel secure.

It's one thing to be fashionable, but really, there are lots of fashionable clothes which manage to have sleeves and modest necklines. Is Westminster Abbey the right place to show how sexy you are? Especially with 2 billion people around the world watching you?
Well that dress was obviously not fitted to this brides body, Catherine isn't going to have some off the rack dress when she marries.
Why does a strapless dress mean someone is showing off how sexy or easy they are?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I can understand why people may view a strapless dress as not right for a church wedding, especially a royal wedding.
However abcdyxz said that she should be elegant and covered, I don't see why strapless dresses cannot be elegant as well.
It's a matter of opinion, and I was voicing mine. Is there something wrong with that?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator

No there is nothing wrong with that.

Time to move ON.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
^^I think I would prefer if only Mrs. Obama goes to the wedding. I don't know why (I know William is 'important' and all) but it just seems so trivial for the President. Also, President Obama has a way of stealing the whole thunder, if you know what I mean. I like him but he's very overwhelming presence anywhere he goes. I can see the headlines:
President Obama attends wedding
Prince William wed Kate Middleton as President Obama looks on
I completely agree...remember how the whole thing backfired disastously on the President when he charged overseas for the Olympics selection??

He should send the First Lady to represent him and SIT THIS ONE OUT.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nancy Reagan represented the US at the wedding of Charles and Diana, but Charles was heir to the throne and William is not. I don't know if Michelle Obama would go. The Bidens might go as the US representatives.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
What has she ever done personally to William and Harry?
Have her antics made the BRF loose popularity in anyway?
Sarah was once their aunt.
I totally agree with you Lumutqueen. Obviously she has lost touch with the Princes since their Mother's death, but I'm sure William hasn't forgotten growing up they had many happy times and plenty of fun with Sarah. I can well imagine as a child Aunt Fergie would be a big fav.
I know they weren't speaking at the time of her death, but William might remember that for a number of years there probably wasn't anyone closer to Diana than Sarah. Since Diana's death Sarah has been respectful of her memory and hasn't betrayed and confidences, that is probably why they invited her to the concert they organised a few years ago.

What I really hope is that it is William and Kate's decision and that William isn't put under pressure from all sides not to invite Sarah. I am not being disrespectful to the Queen of the DoE but it is William and Kate's day. If William is happy to invite Sarah then what is the harm in her attending to wish them the very best for the future.
This might surprise some people but if she is invited I actually wouldn't be completely convinced that she would accept, she mightn't feel too comfortable attending after the last few months.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I totally agree with you Lumutqueen. Obviously she has lost touch with the Princes since their Mother's death, but I'm sure William hasn't forgotten growing up they had many happy times and plenty of fun with Sarah. I can well imagine as a child Aunt Fergie would be a big fav.
I know they weren't speaking at the time of her death, but William might remember that for a number of years there probably wasn't anyone closer to Diana than Sarah. Since Diana's death Sarah has been respectful of her memory and hasn't betrayed and confidences, that is probably why they invited her to the concert they organised a few years ago.

What I really hope is that it is William and Kate's decision and that William isn't put under pressure from all sides not to invite Sarah. I am not being disrespectful to the Queen of the DoE but it is William and Kate's day. If William is happy to invite Sarah then what is the harm in her attending to wish them the very best for the future.
This might surprise some people but if she is invited I actually wouldn't be completely convinced that she would accept, she mightn't feel too comfortable attending after the last few months.
I believe the question should be, would it be "appropriate" to invite Sarah? On one hand, yes it would since she is William's aunt by marriage and the Mother of his first cousins Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice. She was also his mother's friend. On the other hand she is also very controversial and has caused the Royal Family considerable embarassment with the various scandals that she has created throughout the years. As to whether it would be appropriate or not to attend.....If she has ever pondered whether something she does is appropriate or not, there is certainly no evidence of it.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I believe the question should be, would it be "appropriate" to invite Sarah? On one hand, yes it would since she is William's aunt by marriage and the Mother of his first cousins Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice. She was also his mother's friend. On the other hand she is also very controversial and has caused the Royal Family considerable embarassment with the various scandals that she has created throughout the years. As to whether it would be appropriate or not to attend.....If she has ever pondered whether something she does is appropriate or not, there is certainly no evidence of it.
Your right of course texankitcat. I only suggested that because it's been reported in the past that she has declined a few invitations, e.g. the concert the Princes orgainsed to mark Diana's birthday, the party hosted at Buckingham palace for Andrew's 50th birthday.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Your right of course texankitcat. I only suggested that because it's been reported in the past that she has declined a few invitations, e.g. the concert the Princes orgainsed to mark Diana's birthday, the party hosted at Buckingham palace for Andrew's 50th birthday.
Well if she declined those two events, then perhaps she IS finally getting it. One can only hope...
Old 11-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Nobility

When it comes to Fergie my guess is that William will ask his uncle if its ok to invite her OR if he will bring her.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding