The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm a little shocked at some of the statements coming out here and feel abit saddened at the thought that with the exception of William, Harry and their dead mother, Americans wouldn't give a care for the British royal family.

Oh well, are we ever going to discuss floral decorations for Westminster Abbey?!
Why saddened? It's not an American institution so the level of American interest really doesn't matter. The monarchy's survival isn't subject to what American's may or may not think of it.

And it would be no real surprise that without Diana, William or Henry that American interest wouldn't quite be what it is because it is those three that were/are generally considered to be celebrities, before all else and in America if anything sells, it's celebrity culture.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcra
I think it would be great if Kate used 'Sweet Williams' in her bouquet.

But I doubt she will since it's a pink flower

http://thump01.pbase.com/u45/mattis/...lliams_001.jpg
I think...there are other colors of sweet william and that would be awesome.
Also it would be neat if they would do flowers based on the mediaeval and renaissance and Victorian traditions of flowers' meanings.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Nobility

white sweet william

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2460/...g?v=1244867019
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I know some men who don't wear a wedding ring purely because they know people know they 're married and don't want to wear the ring- wedding rings while encouraged are not manadatory becauses a ring is not s marriage .... I personally believe plp should as a sign of respect to their spouse if nothing else wear their rings but some plp don't....I am sure William will ....
Its between the couple I think. In some occupations its actually dangerous to wear any ring. Charles chose to wear his wedding ring underneath his POW signet ring. Its all in a couple's choice. I really don't expect them to get matching UPC tattoos with the wedding date like my Brian and Tara did(dang.. that has to be a first) but whatever they do.. its up to them. Its personal.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
I'm sorry but why should they? Americans are not commonwealth citizens, they have no link to the royal family, since their war for independence. Some likely could not name anyone but the queen, they have trouble naming our prime minister and we live north of them. To a lot of Americans, not all Americans as there are obviously a number on this site, royalty are just celebrities nothing else.
Well for one.. I admired Charles growing up.. OK.. OK.. maybe I was a bit like Diana and gushed over him. He was my age. I grew up in a typical American family with the females following the example of the Queen and the Queen Mum. 'a lady always wears gloves to church" "a lady never smokes in public". That kind of thing. And the honker "the house should be presentable for the Queen". This dates me I know and its how I grew up in the 50s and 60s. All I knew at that time though was Charles was a prince and a wee bit older than me. I dreamt of riding off into the sunset.. hehe.

We also have to remember that Diana married into the BRF and not the other way around. When history is read 300 years from now, she will be but a blip on the page. 1981-1997. Her time in the BRF. What is the legacy is what remains to be seen as William gets older and brings the best of both his parents to the monarchy.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Majesty

Diana's bouquet had myrtle as well, I believe. I think that there's some historic connection there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Princess Anne - a bouquet of fifteen white "Jack Frost" roses, orchid stems from Singapore, stephanotis, lily of the valley leaves and sprig of myrtle
Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Diana's bouquet had myrtle as well, I believe. I think that there's some historic connection there.
The myrtle comes from a plant at Osborne House. This was struck from a sprig of myrtle out of Queen Victoria's bouquet. I believe that all royal brides since have included a sprig from this plant in their wedding bouquet.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda

The myrtle comes from a plant at Osborne House. This was struck from a sprig of myrtle out of Queen Victoria's bouquet. I believe that all royal brides since have included a sprig from this plant in their wedding bouquet.
Myrtle in Classical tradition was sacred to Aphrodite the Goddess of Love. It's been traditional in wedding flowers for eons.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals
Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, I believe Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Camilla had it as well. The book I referenced was published in 1980

Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Well for one.. I admired Charles growing up.. OK.. OK.. maybe I was a bit like Diana and gushed over him. He was my age. I grew up in a typical American family with the females following the example of the Queen and the Queen Mum. 'a lady always wears gloves to church" "a lady never smokes in public". That kind of thing. And the honker "the house should be presentable for the Queen". This dates me I know and its how I grew up in the 50s and 60s. All I knew at that time though was Charles was a prince and a wee bit older than me. I dreamt of riding off into the sunset.. hehe.

We also have to remember that Diana married into the BRF and not the other way around. When history is read 300 years from now, she will be but a blip on the page. 1981-1997. Her time in the BRF. What is the legacy is what remains to be seen as William gets older and brings the best of both his parents to the monarchy.
We must have been separated at birth, Osipi! LOL I'm a year older than Charles, but I was in awe of that entire family growing up. When Princess Margaret's marriage was announced, I thought my mother was going to faint when she learned the groom was a commoner. And the beat goes on.

Myrtle in the bridal bouquet

Yes, the spring does come from the myrtle bush on the Isle of Wight. QV introduced it to Britian (as far as we know), but it is a very old German tradition for the bride to carry a sprig of myrtle. It is possible that the first bride of England to carry myrtle was Anne of Cleves.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Whatever flowers the bride chooses, I hope she doesn't carry one of those huge waterfall arrangements that look like she's hauling half the florist shop around.
OTOH, and dinky little arrangement won't work, either.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Jason Wu Dishes Out Advice For Kate Middleton's Wedding Dressmaker
Quote:
"Embrace the moment of attention, but be prepared to make your next step. Your career is not just about one experience, one hit show. You have to figure out what your next acts are going to be." He added that thanks to his first lady fashions, "I could have been a reality star, a TV personality, a spokesperson for this or that. There were book and movie proposals. They wanted to make me into a 'personality.'"
Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
Don't the men of the BRF wear their wedding rings on their little finger under (behind?) their signet rings? I'm sure that I have seen Charles's ring there. But I don't know if William wears a signet ring?

See item #44:
60 things one must know about Prince Charles from 14 Nov 2008 - mirror.co.uk
Yes, I think that's correct. Not sure if William has a signet ring, I don't think so and although it is a traditional "aristocratic" thing to wear a signet ring on teh little finger William may just opt for a wedding ring on the normal wedding ring finger.

I am reminded that Sarah Ferguson quickly slipped a wedding ring on Andrew's finger during their ceremony, but no words were spoken at that moment. If William chooses to wear a wedding ring, it would be nice if it was placed on his finger with some words of committment from Kate. Although there are standard ring vows spoken by the bride on giving the ring in a civil ceremony, I'm not so sure if this is the case for a religeous ceremony.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Whatever flowers the bride chooses, I hope she doesn't carry one of those huge waterfall arrangements that look like she's hauling half the florist shop around.
OTOH, and dinky little arrangement won't work, either.
Totally agree! I much prefer something simple than those huge arrengements royal brifes usually wear. Nothing green either.
I'm hoping for a simple bouquet of vaious white flowers or even a red rose bouquet.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Thanks for the picture! I did'nt know white 'Sweet Williams' existed!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Yes, I believe Diana, Sarah, Sophie and Camilla had it as well. The book I referenced was published in 1980
Thanks for the flowers information on the previous page ZONK!

As it's a spring wedding, if spring flowers are used then the colour scheme (for the bouquet AND decorations in the Abbey) could be quite bright and lively with yellows and creams (such a daffodils) and blues (such a hyacinths).

For alot of royal and non-royal weddings, creams and whites seem to be the most popular choice. Purples and blues are my favourite colours for flowers. As well as the dress and tiara and what guests will wear etc, I think it is just a exciting to imagine how the overall theme of the wedding will look!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
So did I miss the discussion about William not kissing his new bride? I went back a few pages and didn't see it. The tabloid shows in the U.S. have decided to make that the story of the past 24 hours - and I hear that it's standard OP for the CoE.

The ceremony sounds very solemn dignified, at any case.
If they are talking Charles and Diana, it was an accident, Charles forgot to kiss his wife. Or so I read. There were a number of slip ups in the wedding. She called him Philip, which led him to later joke she was marrying his father not him. He said 'her eartlhy goods' instead of 'his earthly goods' and he put her wedding ring on the wrong hand.

I notice at least in rewatching a clip, maybe it was cut out, Sophie didn't say anything when she put on Edward's ring. Edward's is next to his signet, but Sophie didn't wear her engagement ring, and his was on his pinkie finger.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
If they are talking Charles and Diana, it was an accident, Charles forgot to kiss his wife. There were a number of slip ups in the wedding. She called him Philip, which led him to later joke she was marrying his father not him. He said 'her eartlhy goods' instead of 'his earthly goods' and he put her wedding ring on the wrong hand.
I had known about the mix up on the names during the vows but I'd never heard about the worldly good part nor the wrong hand for the wedding ring. Methinks the both of them were a tad bit nervous eh? Sometimes though its these little mix ups that make a wedding more memorable.

For some reason I've been thinking that it was standard practice for the couple not to kiss at the altar but waited until they had left the church to do so. Were there kisses at the altar for previous royal wedding?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcra View Post
Thanks for the picture! I did'nt know white 'Sweet Williams' existed!
To be honest, I didn't either. I really like the appearance of that flower and how fitting would it be for Kate! She's marrying her Sweet William and in looking up the meaning of the flower, it stands for bravery. I'm tending to think that whatever choice Kate does make, there will be meaning behind it.

Flowers Meaning, Different Flowers Symbolic Meaning, Wedding Flower Color Meanings
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
For some reason I've been thinking that it was standard practice for the couple not to kiss at the altar but waited until they had left the church to do so. Were there kisses at the altar for previous royal wedding?
That's what I though too. The only kiss I was expecting to see was at the balcony (and even that one isn't 100% certain)

Quote:
She's marrying her Sweet William and in looking up the meaning of the flower, it stands for bravery. I'm tending to think that whatever choice Kate does make, there will be meaning behind it.

Flowers Meaning, Different Flowers Symbolic Meaning, Wedding Flower Color Meanings
that would be a really nice touch to it. People in this thread have such good ideas. I hope whoever is in charge of the whole thing, has an account here :P!

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding