The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was the same carriage the Queen and the DoE rode in toward Westminster Abbey when she was coronated. I understand making things recognizable to the majority of people reading, and the majority of people reading won't remember that, but they will remember seeing Diana in it. That being said, it's not "her" carriage, and it's shoddy and irresponsible journalism to write it that way.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

It makes sense for William and Kate to keep the glass coach in reserve, in case of a downpour.
But what about the rest of the RF?
Will they grin and bear the rain, or will they switch to cars instead?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

They'll probably switch to cars. I don't think the BRF has glass coaches enough for everyone!
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

OK- a totally silly question, but as a wise man once said: If you're going to be a fanatic, you might as well make a good job of it!

When Diana married in St. Paul's, she walked down a red carpet.
Sarah Ferguson had a blue one in the Abbey.

Does the bride get to select the carpet, or does each church have a special color-coded carpet?
Or is it all a matter of chance?

(I can't believe I'm asking this!)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Also Edward and Sophie had a blue carpet so i don't think it depends on the Church.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

It's a perfectly valid question. If you're unsure, ask. I myself am not entirely familiar with the reasons, but I'm sure someone will be.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
It was the same carriage the Queen and the DoE rode in toward Westminster Abbey when she was coronated.
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh rode in the Gold State Coach too and from her coronation, not a carriage.

Google Image Result for http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/3398809.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D1E9112D112CE4363C1E1BC1A0A99AD108D143FD4AE7FC81B

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Royal Highness

from the official wedding site
Quote:
At the end of their wedding service at Westminster Abbey, Prince William and Miss Middleton will travel in the 1902 State Landau along the Processional Route to Buckingham Palace. In the event of severely wet weather, the couple will travel in The Glass Coach.

There will be five horse-drawn carriages in the Carriage Procession from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace. The first carriage will be the 1902 State Landau or Glass Coach carrying the Bride and the Bridegroom. The second and third carriages will be Ascot Landaus carrying the Best Man, Maid of Honour and Bridesmaids. The fourth carriage will be a Semi-State Landau carrying The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. The fifth carriage will be a Semi-State Landau carrying The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and Mr and Mrs Middleton.
I hope that the weather will be good and we will see open carriage.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
Just got this info off Twitter from Sky News royal correspondent Paul Harrison
Also has this been posted?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1HItne7ad

Also full schedule for Canadian viewers has been announced and is now available on http://royalwedding.globalnews.ca/
As for Americans CNN is sending over 400 reporters to cover the event and NBC announced coverage last night. The live streaming will begin 3amPST/6amEST and later that night will follow by a special dateline covering the wedding day.
Actually NBC will begin coverage at 4 am and BBC AMERICA will also begin
Before 6 am though I'm unsure of the hour. I'll bet 4 am too.
How
Many watching parties will there be???

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Kate Middleton to use Diana's carriage on wedding day - Telegraph

Accordding to the Telegraph, the PoW, DoC and the Middletons will travel together in one carriage.
Oh please! It was never "Diana's" coach. These news headlines are ridiculous.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Aristocracy

[QUOTE=Mirabel;1219308Does the bride get to select the carpet, or does each church have a special color-coded carpet? Or is it all a matter of chance? [/QUOTE] I've no idea on the actual answer but it suddenly occured to me that perhaps the carpet choice was down to the importance of the Royalty getting married (in these cases the grooms, Charles, Andrew & Edward). Charles was & is the heir so got a red carpet, the other Princes were "spares" (ugh hate that saying) & not the heir so got blue...just an idea, probably completely wrong, lol.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Aww that's actually a very good question to which I can only say that as far as I know, a blue carpet has always been used for major events at Westminster Abbey and St George's Chapel Wondsor (such as weddings) and St Paul's Cathedral uses a red one (such as for the Queen's Silver Jubilee and the 1981 royal wedding.

I can only guess that because Westminster Abbey and St George's Chapel have such a strong royal connection, royal blue is used instead of red.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator

According to Hello!, Albert and Charlene are attending. Has anyone seen any official confirmation?

And Prince Albert of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock (pictured) are the latest royal faces to confirm their appearance at a packed Westminster Abbey.

Albert and Charlene confirm royal wedding attendance | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Oh please! It was never "Diana's" coach. These news headlines are ridiculous.
It'll be "Kate will stand on Diana's balcony at Buckingham Palace" next or "Kate snubs Diana by wearing totally different dress"! Maybe "Kate weds eldest son of Diana" would be a good one for after the wedding or "Queen wears better hat for Kate's wedding than the one she wore for Diana's".
I'm sure some trashy mag or paper will envisage what Diana would have worn had she still been alive!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It'll be "Kate will stand on Diana's balcony at Buckingham Palace" next or "Kate snubs Diana by wearing totally different dress"! Maybe "Kate weds eldest son of Diana" would be a good one for after the wedding or "Queen wears better hat for Kate's wedding than the one she wore for Diana's".
I'm sure some trashy mag or paper will envisage what Diana would have worn had she still been alive!
The headlines I am waiting for are:

1) Camilla on balcony for Diana's son's wedding
2) Camilla takes Diana's place in carriage ride
Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wld rather have Kate and Diana headlines than Camilla and Diana ones. But I just read on Hello! that Albert and Charlene are coming to the wedding. How wonderfully exciting! Surely it would now be appropriate for Charles and Camilla to attend Alberts and Char's wedding right? I just really want another excuse for Camilla to don a new hat!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Wld rather have Kate and Diana headlines than Camilla and Diana ones. But I just read on Hello! that Albert and Charlene are coming to the wedding. How wonderfully exciting! Surely it would now be appropriate for Charles and Camilla to attend Alberts and Char's wedding right? I just really want another excuse for Camilla to don a new hat!
It would be lovely to see C&C attend the wedding of Albert & Charlene, but I suspect that it will probably be Sophie & Edward who attend. Odd as it may seem, but that is just the way the BRF operate in relation to other European royals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I just really want another excuse for Camilla to don a new hat!
I suspect if C&C went, you might see a tiara rather than a hat!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Aristocracy

Noticed in my copy of Hello! That they have an iPhone app for the wedding which is free for a limited time. Photos and commentary is included. Ok for free not sure I would pay for it but may interest people on here.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
"Queen wears better hat for Kate's wedding than the one she wore for Diana's".
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Noticed in my copy of Hello! That they have an iPhone app for the wedding which is free for a limited time. Photos and commentary is included. Ok for free not sure I would pay for it but may interest people on here.
What´s the name of the app?

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding