The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

This is so disappointing that I have no further comment on this thread.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Are there not Japanese, Chinese, Sikhs, Africans, etc.., also living and raising families in Britain? What about the countries that are being represented by those that are invited?

You may think of this as nothing more than a charming gesture, however since this wedding will be televised around the world and William will one day be Defender of the Faith of the Church of England, I think you are trivializing or not understand the impact.
I am not sure how adopting certain traditional gestures from other cultures will in any way is trivialising or compromising Willaim's future position as Defender of the Faith.

William's primary constituency are the people of Britain, and to a lesser extent, the other countries of which Queeen is head of state (which as you know is only a subset of the Commonwealth). The largest ethnic and religious groups in the UK outside the Anglican and Catholic communities are people from the Indian sub-continent (comprising Hindu, Sikh and Muslim faiths), Jewish people and Afro-Carribeans. As you are no doubt aware, Christianity is widespread amongst the Afro-Carribean communities. You may also be aware that the henna custom for the bride referred to is used amongst Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims.

Just because the wedding will be televised around the world does not mean that he needs to appease every ethnic or religious group of the world.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
This is so disappointing that I have no further comment on this thread.
What is dissappointing?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi
To me, if Kate did the henna thing, it would be just as adding a sprig of myrtle to her wedding bouquet.
If they were of that culture/religion then yes, I would agree. But Kate being Kate I don't think her doing henna is the same as adding a sprig of Myrtle IMO :)

I can appreciate the sentiment on their part, but IMO it would be more appropriate for William and Kate to perhaps visit a mosque, temple, etc, rather than try to incorporate bits of other religions into the wedding. They are both CoE - it's not like they come from two different religious backgrounds where you would try to incorporate elements of both religions at the wedding.

I really like the idea that someone mentioned of incorporating elements into the reception rather than the ceremony - that would be more appropriate IMO.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Whilst none of us can comment on the accuracy of the rumour, I personally do not why any such gestures are likely to "backfire and be extremely controversial"

Lets be clear, it will be an Anglican service - there is no deviating from that fact. Incorporating traditions from some of the groups that make up multi-cultural Britain (as opposed to the wider Commonwealth) will just be a nice touch. It will really be no different from having a Bollywood inspried dance routine at the reception, or having dim sum as canapes at the reception. There is no obligation to cover each and every ethnic group.
Exactly. These touches (if the article is even true) will be a very, very tiny part of the ceremony. It's a nice gesture and I don't understand why it would be extremely controversial.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Exactly. These touches (if the article is even true) will be a very, very tiny part of the ceremony. It's a nice gesture and I don't understand why it would be extremely controversial.
Yeah, I don't mind it myself. I don't know this couple personally but if true this could be something very important to them. I would be interested in knowing why they would choose those particular additions to their ceremony. I do see how religion touches a nerve with some people. I just like the idea that the couple would do something different in a royal wedding which is usually quite predictable. So I hope it would be received well, people opening their hearts to other ceremonies is a good thing to me. Shows tolerance and empathy I think.

As for the truth of the article it quotes someone from the palace. Is anyone aware of this woman mentioned?

Article stated: "Buckingham Palace spokesperson Esther Calthorpe-Watts said: "They want everyone to feel a part of the wedding. And while, religiously, the ceremony will be completely Anglican in nature, they felt it appropriate to include these small gestures towards other faiths."

Princess of Durham wrote: "The story I was told about the henna was that as long as it lasted on the bride's hand she did not have to do any housework. :) After that she was directed in her chores by her mother in law."

Very funny!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

Well, if it's all right with the Archbishop of Canterbury,

then it's certainly all right with me. It's unlikely that the AofC would allow these tiny observances if they were offensive to him. So why should we find them objectionable?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Noting is confirmed it's pertinent to add, but to me an incorporation of any other religious or cultural act that is not their own is quite innapropriate for the occasion. To enact a ceremonial function they do not themselves generally observe is imo, a particularly inconsiderate undertaking. To 'perform' that function as though they understand perfectly well it's significance on a personal level, and that it's something which has been instilled in them their entire lives and is commonplace throughout their interactions both privately and officially, could be regarded as suggesting that being Christian's is not enough.

I'm sure they would be of the very best intentions, but let's face it, William and Catherine are (for all intents and purposes) Christian's. They are being married in a Christian Abbey, in a Christian ceremony, in the 'eyes' of the Christian lord and into a church he is someday expected to become the titular head of. Too a great many I'm sure that will be regarded as a most significant occasion. The pure fact it is being celebrated in the Christian faith, and in the presence of the Supreme Governor, her Primates, her Diocesan bishops and representative bodies should not be compromised in any way.

No one would expect the son of an Arab Crown Prince to incorporate a Christian observance into his wedding ceremony and infact, I'm sure a good many would take quite the offence with even having it suggested to them. Are there no Christian's throughout the Arab world? Do you think those state's, their customs and cultures would be willing to incorporate Christian observances, however small, into any such occasion, let alone weddings? I should certainly think not and that's something which is expected to be respected. In as much, the sanctity of a Christian marriage should also be respected.

I'm all for multiculturalism, and for the embracing and learning of different faiths and cultures but they all have their place, respectfully.

It is to be a Christian service and as far as I'm concerned, that's exactly how it should remain in all things.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Well said.....I am not Christian but believe your point is excellent and universally applied to all religions.

You're right nothing is confirmed yet so we shall see on April 29th but I personally will lose some respect for them should this be true (for reasons I and others have stated). Hoping it is not true as it will dampen my wedding joy a bit if so
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
Yeah, I don't mind it myself. I don't know this couple personally but if true this could be something very important to them. I would be interested in knowing why they would choose those particular additions to their ceremony. I do see how religion touches a nerve with some people. I just like the idea that the couple would do something different in a royal wedding which is usually quite predictable. So I hope it would be received well, people opening their hearts to other ceremonies is a good thing to me. Shows tolerance and empathy I think.
This is the way I see it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Well if it's all right with the Archbishop of canterbury, then it's certainly all right with me. It's unlikely that the AofC would allow these tiny observances if they were offensive to him. So why should we find them objectionable?
I didn't even think about this aspect, but you're right.

Honestly though, I don't see this happening. I doubt the article is true. I don't think William or Kate will want to deviate from the standard royal ceremony.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've been to Jewish weddings, I've been to Hindu weddings, I've been to Christian weddings, I've been to Muslim weddings, I've been to a Pagan handfasting......it's all incredibly interesting to me, regardless. Some people are disgustingly touchy about religion, and I for the life of me cannot understand why. If what you believe is personal to you, than what someone else does or does not do should have zero bearing or affect on you and what you believe. If two Christians want to stomp on a glass at the end of their wedding like they would in a Jewish service, what the hell does that have to do with you being a Christian? Nothing, that's what. It's not offensive to you if they do that, it's not offensive to anyone except the people who willingly go out of their way to be offended by everything. I'm an atheist -- I don't get all cranky when I'm at a wedding and they pray or take communion or do anything that has nothing to do with what I personally feel/think. I don't get all indignant and huffy and start stamping my feet because they're doing something that is connected to something I personally don't believe in.

I don't think it's going to happen, simply because it doesn't sound rooted in reality. While Kate and William have diverse tastes and will be the King and Queen of a vast commonwealth of peoples one day, I don't think with any shred of credibility, they are going to do this during their wedding service. Part of the problem with very little news coming out about the ceremony is that literally anything we hear that is connected to this event, suddenly becomes fact. We could read an article next that Kate is going to be topless going down the aisle wearing leis from Hawaii, and someone here will go "She can't do that! She's marrying in a church!"
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I see your point here, Madame Royale (Duchesse d'Angouleme, is it?). But even in reigning houses, anybody can do as he wishes - at a price, but he or she can. That's what Human Rights are for.So it's not a matter of laws, but of the question if the heir has the same idea of the future of his house than the head of it. EG I doubt any direct heir to an European throne would marry an African girl, even a princess, thus introduce African genes into the gene pool of his august family. Or could you see William marry the siste of prince Seeiso of Lesotho and make her his future queen? Okay, one of the Windsor-girls is married to a Maori but she is far removed from the line of sucessions < ed Warren > .. Sorry if I sound like a racist but this is not abou my own opinion of intercultural marriages but my thoughts about the lines the Royal houses follow.
Sorry if you sound racist? < ed Warren - removed response to deleted part of quote >
You might not approve of interracial marriages, which wake up it is the 21st century and while we may never see it with a royal couple at least close to the throne, is common and accepted in public now, but that is pure racist. To even make a comment that compares Africans to Neandrethals, do you think about what you type before you type it? Honestly. Do you think everyone on here is caucasian, I am, but I wouldn't doubt there are others who aren't.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness

"This is so disappointing that I have no further comment on this thread."

ow well!!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Some people are disgustingly touchy
So it would seem...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
So it would seem...

Well I certainly know you're not referring to me. I honestly could care less about religion or what any individual chooses to believe or not believe. I wasn't raised to care. You think what you think, I think what I think, we both live our lives peacefully.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Sorry if you sound racist? < ed Warren - removed response to deleted part of quote > You might not approve of interracial marriages, which wake up it is the 21st century and while we may never see it with a royal couple at least close to the throne, is common and accepted in public now, but that is pure racist. To even make a comment that compares Africans to Neandrethals, do you think about what you type before you type it? Honestly. Do you think everyone on here is caucasian, I am, but I wouldn't doubt there are others who aren't.
Thank you for saying something. I completely missed the comment you quoted. I don't even know where to begin...I'm just truly speechless right now.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think speechless is rather charitable, considering.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

^Most definitely.

I'm so disgusted. I don't understand how people can feel this way. Nor do I understand the need to make it known on a board that is visited by all different types of people.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Aristocracy

I'm with you guys, I'm completely flummoxed. I'm hoping we've somehow misinterpreted the original post in some way (I've no idea how since it was pretty clear but I'm trying to keep an open mind that someone wouldn't just post something like that & not realise how it could offend many people). Otherwise I just don't know what to say to a post like that.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Nobility

Regarding the conversation between members I suggest we wait until sunday. But I'm pretty sure this is not news. I cant believe it. None serious newspapers as the Times (on its frontpage) or the Telegraph has this story at the present moment. So can you explain how a blogger (because the information is just related in on a blog, not in a newspaper) could have this exclusive information and not the senior journalists? absoluterly impossible. Even the Sun which is very well informed traditionnaly doesnt have it. And the mail ? no more. The wedding is very traditionnel, just see the musicians choosen, the harpist, the abbey, everything shows tradition, and to show that britain is a multicultal country they invite a representative of each faith (that part is true and it's even true and the case at each mess or communion at westminster).
I have great respect and admiration for all communities and cultures and faith, but I agree with Madame Royale, thoses traditional gestures from other cultures are too important to be treated as the blogger intend to make us believes. I dont believe this info for one second.

On a lighter note, please real this lovely article on the way Australia is perceiving william's wedding.
BBC News - Why republican Australia warms to Prince William

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding