Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had Jerusalem sung at my wedding and Crown Imperial was the music I walked into church to I am looking forward to hearing them performed in the Abbey.
" I was glad " is one of my favorite pieces of choral music, however I am a little disapointed that they are not having Widor's Toccata to come out to, but they wanted British music ,and I think Widor was French. It was my recessional music ,and hard work for the organist to play.

What a great visual and musical treat we are in for tommorow ! I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is wearing , and seeing the magnificent uniforms the men will wear, in fact I think any man not in uniform will look distinctly dowdy !!:)

Is it absolutely true that William will wear his Irish Guards Red uniform? Is it not just another story?

I have never heard I Was Glad before, so I looked it up on YouTube, and it seems a bit underwhelming for a bridal processional. I'm hoping that the good people who will be playing/singing it tomorrow morning put some oomph into it, because that's a long 4 1/2 minute walk up to the altar for Catherine, and you need sweeping music behind you for it.

But with rain it would be difficult for Kate to come in the Abbey as they can not drive direct before the West Door because of the gates before it.

That might be weather dependent.

I realize that practically it's a good idea...but I can't help viscerally feeling that her dress isn't going to be made of pulled sugar and that it can stand a sprinkle or two.

SisterMophine , "I Was Glad " was written for a coronation, Edward VII I think, it is a glorious peice of music . I can assure you that it will be well sung , the majesty of this peice will sweep Catherine and her father up the aisle.

Where ever you are Enjoy !! :flowers:

That's surprising -- I'd think Charles would wear morning dress. Hmm.

I'd have been very surprised if Prince Charles worn morning suit. :flowers: I know he's no longer on active service, but his Dad (DoE) wasn't active when he worn his full naval uniform to Prince Charles's wedding. Also Prince William is wearing a uniform, so why not join and wear his uniform. I'm assuming the DoE will wear his uniform too tomorrow? I'd be shocked otherwise.

I really like the red uniforms, but had thought he'd go with RAF uniform since he's actively serving. Hopefully his RAF colleagues (especially in his team who are all attending the wedding) will understand his decision. And to be honest, the RAF uniform is pretty bland compared to Naval or the red Army uniforms). I have read somewhere that many RAF folks don't care for their dress uniforms either, so maybe it's all good?

Can't wait to see the wedding!

I'd have been very surprised if Prince Charles worn morning suit. :flowers: I know he's no longer on active service, but his Dad (DoE) wasn't active when he worn his full naval uniform to Prince Charles's wedding.

I'd be surprised too. Everyone who had a uniform wore one to Andrew's wedding in 1986 as well (which is the last big wedding that wasn't officially a state occasion).

A couple of things:

Uniforms: It occurred to me that Pr. Andrew and Pr. Edward may wear uniforms as well. And since Pr. Charles wore one for his 60th birthday "official photograph" (a mighty fine image of him, I might add), I'm guessing he would WANT to wear one. It does add to the formality of the occasion.

I Was Glad: Lady of Hay, you are so right! It is a fabulous piece, a spine-tingler in a great cathedral/abbey, and with the brass, orchestra, and organ, it will be very inspiring...

Prince Edward probably won't wear a uniform. He did not serve very long with the Royal Marines and typically wears a suit even at events where his brothers are in uniform.

That's surprising -- I'd think Charles would wear morning dress. Hmm.

I think Filipe is also going to wear his military uniform with the Victorian Order embellishments (can't remember the real name).

I have never heard I Was Glad before, so I looked it up on YouTube, and it seems a bit underwhelming for a bridal processional. I'm hoping that the good people who will be playing/singing it tomorrow morning put some oomph into it, because that's a long 4 1/2 minute walk up to the altar for Catherine, and you need sweeping music behind you for it.

I'm with you on this one.

I said before that I would wait until I could see some pictures of what the trees in the Abbey looked like before I'd pass final judgment.....and I have to say they look great! I love the look of it -- very dreamy.

OK, I concede. It does NOT look like Westminster Abbey, but it does look strangely nice! Hooray!!! It's not hideous, as my mind's eye saw it!!!

Hi again, KittyAtlanta: Then you know that until twenty or so years ago, instrumental only processionals were not so common in high church weddings in the U.K. In America, instrumental processional/recessionals seem to me more common, I think due in part to the fact that it's getting hard to find more than a few high caliber church choirs in the U.S. like those that are (even still) fairly common throughout the U.K. And I suppose that, outside of the more traditional Anglican churches, few people in the U.S. have experienced sung processionals. Sorry I assumed you did not know the I Was Glad, since with your background, I'm sure you do. I just adore that whole "grand sung processional thing." I'm also looking forward to the new John Rutter piece. Look forward to exchanging thoughts and reactions with you!

There are plenty of high-caliber church choirs in the States.

Last edited:
A couple of things:

Uniforms: It occurred to me that Pr. Andrew and Pr. Edward may wear uniforms as well. And since Pr. Charles wore one for his 60th birthday "official photograph" (a mighty fine image of him, I might add), I'm guessing he would WANT to wear one. It does add to the formality of the occasion.

I Was Glad: Lady of Hay, you are so right! It is a fabulous piece, a spine-tingler in a great cathedral/abbey, and with the brass, orchestra, and organ, it will be very inspiring...

I think it's 99% certainty he'd wear a uniform. This is a major major wedding, no matter how much the couple try to downplay it. ;) No, I don't have any evidence or source, but this is the kind of occasion that he would wear uniform for. Ditto for DoE and Prince Andrew (well, maybe not Prince Andrew....). Prince Edward was never really in the military, although he does very occasionally wear uniform when visiting regiments that is honorary colonel/commodore/etc-in-chief.

Of course I could be wrong and everyone would show up in business casual...:ROFLMAO:

We have the news on the TV . It shows the people outside Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace an amazing sight. It reminds me of the night before Charles and Diana married, I hate to make that comparison given the history.

One of the hymns was sung at Diana's funeral a nice trbute to her ,I think.

Whereever you are watching the great event tomorrow I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.

I look forward to reading your comments . :flowers:

I think it's 99% certainty he'd wear a uniform. This is a major major wedding, no matter how much the couple try to downplay it. ;)

Good point. After all the statements about the simplicity of this wedding, I somehow got a picture in my head of guests in morning suits instead of uniforms. Thanks for bringing me back into the full glory of a royal, military wedding!

I'd guess that Prince Philip and Prince Andrew will wear their Naval uniforms as well. One would hope since the PoW is getting in on the act.

The trees in the Abbey look so beautiful. Just breathtaking. Can't wait for the next 12 hours to go by!

It seems that it'll be an Army themed wedding...William in full dress of colonel of Irish Guards; Harry in full dress as Captain in the Blues and Royals, perhaps the PoW and DoE will also don their Army uniforms? At least no.1 dress, the kind they wore during William's and Harry's graduations from Sandhurst.

It's reported that Chelsy Davy will wear two dresses tomorrow from designer Alberta Ferritti. Not sure why she needs a dress change.

It seems that it'll be an Army themed wedding...William in full dress of colonel of Irish Guards; Harry in full dress as Captain in the Blues and Royals, perhaps the PoW and DoE will also don their Army uniforms? At least no.1 dress, the kind they wore during William's and Harry's graduations from Sandhurst.

Good point. Although I still expect DoW and PoW to wear their naval uniforms, if they're going to switch up the uniforms, then Army would make the most sense.

We shall see!

Short dress she will wear in church(with jacket), long one at the dinner&dance in the evening I think. I'm only wondering are these sketches from different reports are the real. We must wait and see.

I have never seen such ecstatic crowds at an event like this in the UK and it's great to see people of all ages camping out all night and enjoying the electric atmosphere!

So the carpet in Westminster Abbey WILL be red after all - and with the trees I don't think the Abbey will have seen anything like this before! It's all so amazing and exciting!

William will look great in that uniform (although as my brother-in-law is in the RAF and William is currently serving in the RAF I had hoped for the RAF uniform!

Did anyone find out who the mystery woman in the fur hood was - she got dropped off at the Goring Hotel and the BBC think it might be the dress designer!!!

Well, I hope everyone enjoys the event and you guys over the Atlantic manage to stay up ok!

Happy Wedding Everyone!!!!

Anybody surprised by how much we have seen/know so far?. I can't think of a better way to phrase it, but as an example we can print out our own copy of the wedding program, CH/BP have released a list of some of the guests, William/Harry/Camilla were out greeting crowds. I am so pleasantly surprised as releasing names of guests and greeting crowds were not done previously IIRC. Wonder what other surprises are in store?!?!

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....A LOT OF NERVES!!!! I can´t believe the big day has finally arrived! Can´t wait to read the comments tomorrow...! Please, if someone here in the forum is among the lucky ones who are sleeping near to the Abbey, don´t forget to take a lot of pictures and put them ASAP!!!

All the best for Wills&Kate!!!!

I've never smoked in my life but I feel like between now and the next 12 hours I'll be tempted to pick up a cigarette and smoke. I cannot believe how nervous I am and I'm not even the BRIDE! I can't imagine how Wills and Kate must feel.

Royal wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton will risk getting soaked so crowds can see them in open carriage - Telegraph

Prince William and Kate Middleton will risk getting soaked in an open carriage in order to give hundreds of thousands of wellwishers a chance to see them in their wedding outfits, courtiers have disclosed.

I'm sure there's a backup plan somewhere just in case it really starts pouring. Does the landau they are using have a folding top? I am assuming it is not convertible but does someone know? Maybe someone can bring them a couple of big umbrellas in that case. :p

:previous::ROFLMAO:
Almost 30 years ago since Charles and Diana's wedding and I feel the same way! I am smoking like a train. (not good)
CHEERS to all!! :w00t::heart::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom