The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Willem-Alexander & Máxima will be attending the Royal Wedding!

I just watched 'Blauw Bloed'; a dutch weekly royalty program and it had coverage on the state visit of Queen Beatrix, the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima to Qatar this week.
There were camera's when the dutch royal party said goodbye to Sheika Mozah of Qatar after attending a concert.
You could hear Máxima saying to Sheika Mozah; "Hopefully we will see you again in London or in Monaco."
So therefore I must conclude that at least Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima will attend the Royal Wedding in London, but also will be present at the wedding of Prince Albert of Monaco.
Great news!!
But it is still not clear to me whether Queen Beatrix will attend both royal weddings...

Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I doubt its Victoria Beckham. Has her line expanded to wedding gowns yet?

I believe her traveling more and more to London has to deal with the fact that the Beckhams are moving back to England and she is getting things together (schools, home, etc) for the family.

I think it will not be Alexander McQueen's house...they are interesting designs, but not too reflective of Kate's personality. More of a Zara Phillips type of wedding dress and thus design house actually if you think about it.
Nah, Zara is too muscular and 'chunky' to pull off most of the McQueen designs. People like Kate Moss, Cate Blanchett, they have McQueen written on them. I think Kate would translate well in Lanvin. Zara I could see in Elie Saab.
Alexander McQueen Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear Collection Slideshow on Style.com

Alexander McQueen Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear Collection Slideshow on Style.com

Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Body wise you are correct. But Zara isn't conservative in her dress or her career, and edgy enough to pull of a McQueen IMO.

Kate has the body type but her clothes haven't given off the edgy look since she did a stroll on the catwalk for a charity function. And that wasn't edgy just a little shocking.

I think you will definitely see WA and Maxima in London (and in Monaco). Not so sure about Queen Beatrix...not surprised by the King and Queen of Norway. They are fairly close. Any inkling on Haakon and Mette Marit? I wouldn't be shocked if all of them came.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Royal Highness

I agree. Zara can really pull off something a bit more HF because she has the personality and not be all awkward about it. I don't see that in Kate. And to wear a McQueen, you have to have atleast a little of a 'I Don't Care' personality.

I can see Zara in Elie Saab or Oscar de la Renta. Kate in Lanvin or Alberta Ferretti.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Uniform, morning coat or lounge suit, to be read on the invitation:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected.

And for lady's? A dress or something?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Nobility

I think William and Catherine's wedding will be hats and dresses or suits for the ladies as it is in the morning...a bit like Prince Felipe and Letizia's wedding. Whereas Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock wedding will be tiaras and evening dresses as it is later in the day.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Why? From the way this team have turned the way HM dresses up so many notches (Even in Italy her clothes were considered Chic) they are a very talented bunch. Given the fact that the British economy is in such dire straits, thanks to the former labour government, it would be a way to show that consideration is being given to the difficult times. It wouldn't surprise me to see a dress designed by the in house team and created from fabric that was given to HM as a gift. We have already seen The Queen wear an evening gown created from fabric that was given to her many years ago. The dress in question was deemed to be a success.

There is a major difference though between a dress worn for a state function and one worn for a wedding, the most important day in a woman's life. Elizabeth II married 2 years after WWII when the country was still recovering, and yet she had a designer do her gown, that of her attendants,and many of the royal ladies in attendance as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Gentry

As I've looked at numerous wedding dresses with Catherine in mind, I've come to the conclusion that one of the most elegant was Princess Margaret's dress.

She couldn't go wrong by choosing some updated version of this simple, elegant, princess-style gown, IMO. I could see it with a slimmer skirt and perhaps a lace veil.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
There's no way we can compare the house of Alexander McQueen to Bruce Oldfield. Let's not compare the talent of the late Alexander and now Sarah Burton to Bruce Oldfield. It's an insult.

I'd be pleased if Sarah is the designer, but Kate is no McQueen girl. Unless Sarah will design something that is not the aesthatics of the House. You can wear it or not. Though I must say, under Sarah Burton, McQueen clothes are much more wearable. There's one McQueen dress she'd be able to wear without looking too try-hard out of the sudden: Alexander McQueen Fall 2010 Ready-to-Wear Collection Slideshow on Style.com

It's an absolute exquisite dress. Couture at it's best.
Alexander McQueen was an incredible designer, I'll give you that. But why is it an insult to compare Bruce Oldfield to him? Bruce Oldfield is an incredible couture designer, who has designed for royals and celebrities alike. They may have a very different fashion asthetic, but I don't see the insult there. I doubt if Alexander was alive, he'd be insulted to be compared to the talent level of Oldfield.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
What is with the hips on it? the rest of it is beautiful, but not for a royal wedding certainly. The problem with the gowns we see for McQueen is they are all runway gowns, Kate will not wear something like that.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
sorry, hope I don't offend anyone but, How awful I hope Kate does not wear anything from these lines... what happen to classic...
http://geebird.com/userfiles/wedding...%20FD053_3.jpg

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/130328/4...c5_130328n.jpg
I agree it should and likely will be traditional. It's not like Kate is getting an off the rack dress though. None of the gowns we find on the website will resemble her gown. Sarah Burton if she is the designer, will design something personally for Kate not from the line. The dress she did for Sarah Buy's was quite pretty. I just find as pretty as the more traditional gowns Burton has done are, there is such a huge separation between her couture and her more traditional. I think a designer like Oldfield has a far better balance.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Majesty

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/co...y=false&cnt=18

Yikes! I quite agree. "Royal Bride" it is not!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

Sure, Bruce Oldfield designs beautiful dresses but then there's Alexander McQueen. Sarah Burton has been his right hand for 14 years so I take them as a whole for now. But McQueen has always shocked people, dropped jaws, haunted people's dreams. They're on two different levels. Bruce Oldfield is beautiful, McQueen is out of this world. But that's something personal, you don't have to agree ofcourse.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Sure, Bruce Oldfield designs beautiful dresses but then there's Alexander McQueen. Sarah Burton has been his right hand for 14 years so I take them as a whole for now. But McQueen has always shocked people, dropped jaws, haunted people's dreams. They're on two different levels. Bruce Oldfield is beautiful, McQueen is out of this world. But that's something personal, you don't have to agree ofcourse.
That is a great description of the two designers . I don't feel that Kate has the "McQueen" feel. She does have the "Oldfield" feel. If she does choose to wear McQueen it could be a disaster because either the dress will wear her or the design will not have a McQueen look.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Of course these gowns are not suitable for a royal wedding, but if we look closer at numbers 9, 10 and 11, the shape of the gowns (as opposed to the material/pattern) could be suitable and shows that there are certain design elements from Alexander McQueen that would be more than acceptable. I especially like the collar/shoulder area of gown number 11 which is very regally structured.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
I agree it should and likely will be traditional. It's not like Kate is getting an off the rack dress though. None of the gowns we find on the website will resemble her gown. Sarah Burton if she is the designer, will design something personally for Kate not from the line. The dress she did for Sarah Buy's was quite pretty. I just find as pretty as the more traditional gowns Burton has done are, there is such a huge separation between her couture and her more traditional. I think a designer like Oldfield has a far better balance.

I agree I was just giving examples of more classic looks... my opinion and I maybe wrong is that Kate will not go for a full bell skirt that is why I posted the two dresses I did... but I maybe wrong... I did not like sarah buy's dress ... I thought the bottom was not well thought out.. although some people did..
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Not sure which thread this really belongs in, but take a look for a good laugh.

Kate Middleton For The Win

Its Kate meets lolcats!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Concering the royal guests.

Until now we know that will be present:
Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik
King Harald V & Queen Sonja
Sheikha Mozah of Qatar
King Konstantinos II & Queen Anna-Maria of the Hellenes
Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel of Sweden
Prince Willem-Alexander & Princess Máxima of the Netherlands
Crown Prince Aleksandar & Crown Princess Katarina of Serbia
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece

Or am I missing someone?
Princess Jelizaveta of Serbia
Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Aristocracy

Somehow I can't help but wonder if Prince Albert will be attending this wedding? And with who? Princess Caroline, or Charlene Wittstock? Maybe even Pierre? I think it might be interesting....

As for the dress I keep going in little circles. First I think the dress could set her fashion style in people's minds, perhaps erase those boots!

Then I think no she has no real strength of style and will do a copy of somebody's dress already in the royal family to play it safe (yuck ). Or will she go frump Victorian up to her throat?

Then I think nobody can be that boring and she will shock people by being very edgy and even suddenly assert a very strong personality. Next I think we'll see strapless, pearl necklace, big skirt, tiara with a veil flowing out from behind it like all the US brides I see (ugh!).

Or, I wonder, will she go so freaking over the top with several feet of train with a "W" for William embroidered on it like Fergie with the "A" for Andrew, you know trying really hard to please and make a big impression? Then I do another lap around the circle!

I just really hope she doesn't do a nightgown type dress all flat and draggy as SWessex wore (did I hear right during that wedding coverage sort of dreamed up by Prince Edward? No, please!)

I think Princess Margaret's dress was an absolute dream, so pure, and simple, very beautiful. Yet Kate has no connection really to PM though, and that dress has already been paid homage to by Viscount Linley's wife, and sort of in Sarah Armstrong's dress too I think.

Diana's was that wrinkly, champagne sort of color, not my favorite, yet it became iconic for her.

Since they are saying Kate will be having to heave herself up from inside a car, I can't see how she could wear a slim fitting dress, though it is what I think she would wear if not for how formal the wedding is. So by process of elimination I guess we will actually see a beigey colored, full skirt dress, short train, with a corset tight type bodice to give her a small waist and manufacture hips, sleeves, and probably a scoop or sweetheart neckline, tiara and veil?

Don't know if she'll do the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
Somehow I can't help but wonder if Prince Albert will be attending this wedding? And with who? Princess Caroline, or Charlene Wittstock? Maybe even Pierre? I think it might be interesting....

As for the dress I keep going in little circles. First I think the dress could set her fashion style in people's minds, perhaps erase those boots!

Then I think no she has no real strength of style and will do a copy of somebody's dress already in the royal family to play it safe (yuck ). Or will she go frump Victorian up to her throat?

Then I think nobody can be that boring and she will shock people by being very edgy and even suddenly assert a very strong personality. Next I think we'll see strapless, pearl necklace, big skirt, tiara with a veil flowing out from behind it like all the US brides I see (ugh!).

Or, I wonder, will she go so freaking over the top with several feet of train with a "W" for William embroidered on it like Fergie with the "A" for Andrew, you know trying really hard to please and make a big impression? Then I do another lap around the circle!

I just really hope she doesn't do a nightgown type dress all flat and draggy as SWessex wore (did I hear right during that wedding coverage sort of dreamed up by Prince Edward? No, please!)

I think Princess Margaret's dress was an absolute dream, so pure, and simple, very beautiful. Yet Kate has no connection really to PM though, and that dress has already been paid homage to by Viscount Linley's wife, and sort of in Sarah Armstrong's dress too I think.

Diana's was that wrinkly, champagne sort of color, not my favorite, yet it became iconic for her.

Since they are saying Kate will be having to heave herself up from inside a car, I can't see how she could wear a slim fitting dress, though it is what I think she would wear if not for how formal the wedding is. So by process of elimination I guess we will actually see a beigey colored, full skirt dress, short train, with a corset tight type bodice to give her a small waist and manufacture hips, sleeves, and probably a scoop or sweetheart neckline, tiara and veil?

Don't know if she'll do the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
Aah, such positivity! After all your dislikes there is little she is left with.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding