The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
I'm getting confused. Is it or is it not a "done deal" that Sarah Burton is designing The Dress?

I'm going to have to think about this. Burton's designs certainly are different from anyone else's:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...r-McQueen.html

That link has a few pictures I hadn't seen yesterday or earlier today.

I can picture Kate in the style of the sapphire/chipped porcelain dress, but any of these styles would be a departure (IMO) from what Kate usually wears. Of course, that's what many want on their wedding day.

None of them look "princess-like" to me, but I'm of a different generation. What do younger women think?
I think that Burton does impeccable work and that the looks in her runway show are much more high concept than wearable- but I think she has the talent to create a lovely and special dress for Kate if she's the chosen designer.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Commoner

Not sure if this has been posted before. What some Canadian designers would have Catherine wear on her wedding day:

CTV.ca | Princess Bride. What Should She Wear? Canada's top designers weigh in

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenngirl4 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before. What some Canadian designers would have Catherine wear on her wedding day:

No offense to Canadian designers, but what are they thinking? This is a Royal wedding. Not a runway show or the Oscars.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
No offense to Canadian designers, but what are they thinking? This is a Royal wedding. Not a runway show or the Oscars.
Quite right!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Commoner

I do think some of the designs are nice, but perhaps not appropriate for a royal wedding. IMO a wedding dress should be elegant, simple, and accentuate the features of the woman wearing it. The woman should wear the dress, not the dress wear the woman.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think that Burton does impeccable work and that the looks in her runway show are much more high concept than wearable- but I think she has the talent to create a lovely and special dress for Kate if she's the chosen designer.
Burton is way out of the box for a choice of designer for this wedding. She may have established herself as a high concept couture designer , but I haven't seen one example of hers that would indicate in any way that she would be the appropriate choice to design a wedding dress for a royal wedding. Lady Gaga's wedding? Yes. The Royal Wedding? No. This is too important of an occasion for someone this edgy and over the top IMO.

I'm not convinced that she is the choice. Everyone was convinced that Oldfield was the designer and there were allegedly clues everywhere according to the experts. Now you aren't hearing a peep about him now that the pack has shifted to Burton. Personally, I think it's all guess work and the RF is just letting the media focus where they like by neither confirning nor denying outright. It certainly doesn't hurt the designers that are targeted since it brings attention to their work, and it continues to focus away from who the real designer is.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I agree with this - it's an excellent description because like all designers do, the outfits are very high concept and even over-dramatic. It allows them to show off to the extreme their design talents and their unique way of using the cloth and cut etc etc. If this is the dress designer for Kate, the gown will have certain elements of the Burton/McQueen style but in a far more subtle way. The end result will be a gown that is fitting for a royal wedding (as opposed to a cat-walk!) but will use the same amazingly crafted techniques in its construction to create a perfect silhouette.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

The only one I like is the Joeffer Caoc design although it is a little severe. The others are all very nice but the designer should have been mindful of the fact that it is a royal wedding and has historic importance.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

Many of those designs are quite similar to the ones in the Sarah Burton bridal runway show. Women these days strive to have the sort of body Kate has, although most of them aren't quite tall enough to pull these long, lean, flared styles off. Several of the Canadian dresses would be flattering to Kate's body style, I think, but still not quite right for a royal wedding.

Kate usually appears in public quite covered up. Her blue dress is tailored, her coats are traditional. The Comrag (Canadian) dress resembles her style.

However, the sketch really points up the issue with Kate's hair. With that sort of gown, one wants to see an updo and a tiara.

Just 50 days or so and we'll find out.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

some are good some are .... not so good! but it would be nice if eventually Kate wears dresses from Commonwealth countries, such as Canada.
I almost felt off the chair when I saw the design by Joseph Mimram, then I read the description and saw that it's to be used during their Honeymoon, !

About Sarah Burton, we must see the cat walk designs as a overboard expression. If hired, I doubt she would make Kate wear the exact same dress as the ones we have seen. Even if it doesn't look like anything we have seen Kate wearing, IMO, would be a nice change.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

The 21-year-old Oriya lad from KENDRAPARA( NATIVE)has been specially invited to deliver a 15-minute speech on Vedic rituals and Jagannath cult during the marriage.

that came as a surprise to me.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm a little surprised that the name of the designer of the wedding dress is still a secret. Surprised because quite frankly it must be so difficult keeping this key piece of information private - the press must be constantly watching the movements of all the likely designers/ trying to find out what they're busy working on during the whole of April etc. I think it's brilliant that at the moment we are still guessing. But how long is it likely to remain under wraps? Is there likely to be an announcement / have any royal brides kept this information secret right up until the big day?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I'm getting confused. Is it or is it not a "done deal" that Sarah Burton is designing The Dress?

I'm going to have to think about this. Burton's designs certainly are different from anyone else's:

Kate Middleton's Royal wedding dress: Sarah Burton unveils collection for Alexander McQueen | Mail Online

That link has a few pictures I hadn't seen yesterday or earlier today.

I can picture Kate in the style of the sapphire/chipped porcelain dress, but any of these styles would be a departure (IMO) from what Kate usually wears. Of course, that's what many want on their wedding day.

None of them look "princess-like" to me, but I'm of a different generation. What do younger women think?

The dress she designed for Sarah Buys was nothing like the runway gowns. And

By princess like I hope you don't think Diana or Sarah or even Sophie. We need no cupcakes please, well Sophie's wasn't too bad.

It isn't official Burton is the designer, any more than when everyone said Oldfield. It will never be confirmed by designer on RF. It won't be confirmed till the wedding day and we see the dress.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Nobility

Didn't know if the link had been posted but yahoo has a whole section dedicated to the royal wedding...They will even be broadcasting the wedding live on the website...

http://royalwedding.yahoo.com/
Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I'm a little surprised that the name of the designer of the wedding dress is still a secret. Surprised because quite frankly it must be so difficult keeping this key piece of information private - the press must be constantly watching the movements of all the likely designers/ trying to find out what they're busy working on during the whole of April etc. I think it's brilliant that at the moment we are still guessing. But how long is it likely to remain under wraps? Is there likely to be an announcement / have any royal brides kept this information secret right up until the big day?
Maybe that is the point, it isn't a logical designer. Maybe she has gone with an up and coming, or perhaps not even british though I hope not. They probably have purposely let the rumors of Oldfield and now Burton out, to keep people off the track of the real designer.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
It won't be confirmed till the wedding day and we see the dress.
But that hasn't been the case in the past- both with Diana & Sarah's dresses we knew the designers.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

^^^^
And that was how many years ago? The designers of the most recent royal brides including the minor ones haven't been released I don't believe. That's the way it should stay.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Jay Godfrey's dress is divine. I think Kate would look stunning in it. If a short shrug or bolero was made to go with it for inside the church during the ceremony, that would take it up to that next level.

Other designs I really liked were Tissh by Gloria Lee and Stema by Stefani Mas. I especially love the fact that Stefani Mas' design looks like vintage Dior. If it lost the poof at the shoulder and some of the volume in the skirt, but kept the overall concept, I think it would be perfect.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I am absolutely floored and trying to understand the connection between Kate's perceived snobbery, her battle with the business machine like operation such as the British Royal institution (and apparently she is winning) as well her desire to keep wedding dress private.

File that post under "Some People Will Say Anything For Attention."
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Frankly, I don't want to know who is designing her dress. I'm too interested in this wedding as it is...

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding