Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice for her to give them the space on their big day to enjoy with family & friends till the early morning.

wow! what a fun, exotic party that will be, partying away in buckingham palace! :)

looks like it's going to be sunny in london on the D day!
Google

wow! what a fun, exotic party that will be, partying away in buckingham palace! :)

Seeing as Harry is organizing a "survivor's" breakfast for 6am or so, I imagine HM is being wise enough to leave them all to their own debauc.. err discretion at this "knees up".

Once the Queen isn't in residence don't certain protocols drop?

I really hope that Catherine will walk down the Isle at Westminster Abbey to the chillling song of Zadok the Priest.

Oh the full peal sounds hard to do- but honestly 3 hours of bells would annoy me.....

Three hours seems a bit long though. I thought it was for an hour after Charles and Diana's.

That's how long it takes to ring a full peal. It's (usually) 5,040 changes on 8 bells. That means each bell rings 5,040 times and the order in which the bells sound is never repeated. The mathematics of it is fascinating.
(sorry, that should be 7 bells to be precise. The eighth bell is the tenor bell which usually rings in 8th place at the end of each line, so technically isn't part of the changes. Although some peals are rung with the tenor "in", it sounds more musical with the tenor "behind")

Contrary to what the writer of the article says, the ringers do have to memorise the changes. This is done by remembering a pattern expressed as a line. It is very complicated. I learned to ring church bells and did so regularly for a few years, but found it very hard to learn the patterns. It seems to come more easily to some than to others. I never rang a full peal although I did manage a quarter-peal on a few occasions.

Last edited:
What fascinating information...who knew about the details involved!

Thank you for sharing Frideswide!

How I learnt about peels etc was in Dorothy L. Sayers novel The Nine Tailors about Lord Peter Wimsey who gets stuck in a fenland village. He ends up being asked to help with some bell ringing and there is a good explanation of the process in this book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Tailors

Royal Wedding and Royal Behaviors

Dear Prince William and Dear Lady Kate

May the bliss enlight Your marriage as among the happyest and lifelovelong and prosperous.

Please remember the words of Your ancestor Noble Prince Albert Von Saxe Coburg Gotha : Who shall take care of the people if this is not the heirs of the Kingdom.

Thus allow me for You to thank the Almighty for Your position ; to suggest You both and Your whole family ; very humbly and very obediently that You offer for Your wedding and to thank Your people
that You insure that all poorest families in the kingdom have a house and a fridge full of goods.
And possibly as all the vip and wealthy people of the Kingdom to make sure the poorest family near them do not lack food and means to educate kids.

Mille graces.

Sylvia de Sawyn

Last edited:
I can't remember where I had seen it discussed here, but I noticed that some members were wondering why the Spencers were sitting with the Middletons rather than the BRF as they are family of the groom. If you look at the way the seating is arranged at both "lanterns" in the church, all the royals are on one side, all the non-royals are on the other. Meaning, behind the BRF will be all the other invited royals. The Spencers aren't royals, so they aren't going to be seated there. They'll be seated with Catherine's also non-royal family.

Some suggested it was a slight of some kind, but I don't see it.

I can't remember where I had seen it discussed here, but I noticed that some members were wondering why the Spencers were sitting with the Middletons rather than the BRF as they are family of the groom. If you look at the way the seating is arranged at both "lanterns" in the church, all the royals are on one side, all the non-royals are on the other. Meaning, behind the BRF will be all the other invited royals. The Spencers aren't royals, so they aren't going to be seated there. They'll be seated with Catherine's also non-royal family.

Some suggested it was a slight of some kind, but I don't see it.

I don't mind where the Spencers sit, they aren't royal so I don't see why they should be with the BRF. They are sitting opposite the royals & I think that is a rather goo thing.

looks like it's going to be sunny in london on the D day!
Google

Your weather link -BTW, what do you mean by "D day"?- doesn't work (for me).

I really hope that Catherine will walk down the Isle at Westminster Abbey to the chillling song of Zadok the Priest.

I don't know if Zadok is customarily used at British weddings, as it is a British coronation anthem. I know Frederik and Mary used it, but I kind of doubt the BR's would.

Aww Kate looks adorable

kate_619_250307m.jpg

It doesn't look like her at all to me. Are you sure this is she?

Your weather link -BTW, what do you mean by "D day"?- doesn't work (for me).

The D in the phrase D-Day actually stands for "Day" It's a funny little military convention but doesn't necessarily reference the famous wartime "D-Day." It just indicates a day for which much planning is done.

It doesn't look like her at all to me. Are you sure this is she?
Well no but on the website this is the picture they had under that headline. Says the photos are from her first wedding.

Doesn't The Queen usually spend the weekend at Windsor when possible?

Doesn't The Queen usually spend the weekend at Windsor when possible?

Yes....unless of course it is one of the times in the year when she is at Sandringham [Christmas and New Year until February] or Scotland [August until Ocotober].

Royal Watchers and tourists in the know sometimes wait outside Buckingham Palace on Thursday or Friday Afternoon [depending on the Queen's Engagements] to watch her depart for weekends in Windsor [a good chance of a 'Queen-Sighting' if you see what I mean]

Alex

Does anyone know the precessional music played at Charles and Diana's wedding? I know I should know the name, I've heard it all my life - but I can't for the life of me remember what the name is.

Does anyone know the precessional music played at Charles and Diana's wedding? I know I should know the name, I've heard it all my life - but I can't for the life of me remember what the name is.

From memory it was The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke, known more often by its title of 'The Trumpet Voluntary'

Alex

Thanks, Alex.

Now I thought of another question. So Prince Charles will ride with Mrs Middleton on the way back from the Abbey, and Mr. Middleton will ride with...Camilla? Is Camilla sitting in as Prince William's mom for this occasion or will it be his mother's sister?

It seemed obvious to me that it would be Camilla but then I realized that I have no real clue. Would William's grandmother, the Queen, sit in for his mother?

If it is Charles and Camilla, will the order of the carriages be the same? (Won't Charles and Mrs Middleton go first, as opposed to Charles and Diana's wedding, where of course the Queen and the Earl went first after the bridal couple, IIRC).

If this has been asked and answered, I apologize - it's a long thread.

I am just about to turn in for the night, so let me think this one through.....

It may be that the Queen [as Monarch] will follow Prince William and Catherine;
the reason I need to think it through is that out of a form of 'deference' to the late Princess of Wales, it might seem a little, well tactless is NOT quite the word I am looking for, but anyway it will have to do for now] to have Camilla to be seen to be 'standing in' as a form of 'Stepmother'; by way of analogy don't forget how, after the marriage of the Prince of Wales and Camilla, the Queen was quick to announce the change in female precedence i.e. with Camilla placed after the Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra,when logically as the wife to the heir of the throne you would have expected Camilla to take precedence over the Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra.... but I think that the Queen chose to 'alter' the conventional way of thinking as a form of giving a tacit 'nod' to the fact that Camilla had been the 'third party' in a rather unpleasant 'love triangle'...

I will come back to this one tomorrow when I have had a little think.

Alex

PrincessKaimi said:
Thanks, Alex.

Now I thought of another question. So Prince Charles will ride with Mrs Middleton on the way back from the Abbey, and Mr. Middleton will ride with...Camilla? Is Camilla sitting in as Prince William's mom for this occasion or will it be his mother's sister?

It seemed obvious to me that it would be Camilla but then I realized that I have no real clue. Would William's grandmother, the Queen, sit in for his mother?

If it is Charles and Camilla, will the order of the carriages be the same? (Won't Charles and Mrs Middleton go first, as opposed to Charles and Diana's wedding, where of course the Queen and the Earl went first after the bridal couple, IIRC).

If this has been asked and answered, I apologize - it's a long thread.

I actually believe it was annouced that it'll be the Queen and DOE in one carriage and POW and Camilla with Mr and Mrs Middleton in another and then the bridesmaids/Henry/Pippa in another, I shall search for the link .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom