The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it would be awesome if Kate wore Alexander McQueen (as designed by Sarah Burton) as her wedding dress.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen is an expensive exorbitantly priced designer. Agreed that she is highly talented. This maybe true but psychologically it does not sit well. So we wait and watch on the special day. Why does Kate hide the designer?Perhaps it would have better to announce the designer rather than allow the press to go bananas...
Whoever designs this dress, it's going to be an expensive one!

But on the point of hiding the designer, or at least not announcing it, I see the logic. The press may be going bananas picking designers here & there, throwing out names & speculation but so far they haven't pinned it on anyone for absolute certainty so whoever is doing this dress, wherever they are doing it, they're working in some sort of peace & quiet. If the actual designer was known for sure & announced prior to the wedding (& certainly this far in advance) I suspect their life/lives would be made absolute hell by the press as they would be focused on unremittingly. At least if no-one is saying anything for sure either way then the focus is spread around a few designers & whoever actually is doing the work is able to get on with it in some relative privacy somewhere. Plus isn't this part of the fun of the build up? Wouldn't it be a bit boring if we knew what or who she was wearing already? Maybe it's just me but I thought that was supposed to be part of the fun in the not knowing & the anticipation of what she will emerge wearing on the wedding day.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I actually loved Sara Buys wedding gown, although I remember that it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I liked Mrs. Obama gown as well. That being said....I can't see how this designer would fit into Catherine's personality.

Don't get me wrong (as I dont' follow fashion that way) I think the designer (from what I have seen) is extremely talented (and I think her gown would be great) ...I just think her style doesn't fit in with what Catherine has worn in the past. Catherine doesn't appear to be a risk taker and I get the risk taker, setting the trend (as opposed as following the trend) vibe from the designer.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
I actually loved Sara Buys wedding gown, although I remember that it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I liked Mrs. Obama gown as well. That being said....I can't see how this designer would fit into Catherine's personality.
Does anyone have a pic or link to thread with the gown? Just to see how McQueen does weddings, I've never seen Sarah's
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Check out this thread Tom Parker Bowles & Sara Buys 2005 . I think post 62 and anything after that is a good picture to look at it.

I thought Sara looked lovely that day...and I am not always a fan of her "look."

Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Check out this thread Tom Parker Bowles & Sara Buys 2005 . I think post 62 and anything after that is a good picture to look at it.

I thought Sara looked lovely that day...and I am not always a fan of her "look."
Thanks.... I like it but.... not the bottom....but sure Kate's will be lovelier
Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator

The bottom is actually what made the dress for me. From what I know of Sara...she works at British Vogue, her clothes have always been "different", edgy and not classic in the Audrey Hepburn kind of style.

I thought she looked lovely in a strapless wedding dress (one of the few most recent well known brides who actually looked great in a strapless dress ...... thats another over kill style IMO), and the bottom showed her "style and personality."

That's why I can't see Catherine in a McQueen dress. But I must check out their website to see the wedding line.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

Is it just me or does that dress look like it shrunk in width and length?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Nobility

I actually love Sara Buys gown! The skirt was surprising and fun, yet the entire look was most elegant. And the tailoring fantastic! I noted that the strapless top was impeccably cut and properly fitted to her. One of the reasons I dislike strapless gowns is that they are seldom cut properly for the individual; e.g., the top is too high or too low or too wide or the little tufts of fat under the arms are emphasized. I noted that, during last week's Academy Awards, some of the strapless tops were just WRONG and had some of the problems listed above! Hard to understand unless the offending gowns were loaners...

At any rate, if Sarah Burton has the commission, her impeccable tailoring will win the day, and the fabrics will be incredible. It surely will not have a fishtail hem, though Kate would look lovely in one, but IMHO, such a gown would be lost in the grandeur of the Abbey. I am certainly enjoying all the speculation!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
I actually love Sara Buys gown! The skirt was surprising and fun, yet the entire look was most elegant. And the tailoring fantastic! I noted that the strapless top was impeccably cut and properly fitted to her. One of the reasons I dislike strapless gowns is that they are seldom cut properly for the individual; e.g., the top is too high or too low or too wide or the little tufts of fat under the arms are emphasized. I noted that, during last week's Academy Awards, some of the strapless tops were just WRONG and had some of the problems listed above! Hard to understand unless the offending gowns were loaners...

At any rate, if Sarah Burton has the commission, her impeccable tailoring will win the day, and the fabrics will be incredible. It surely will not have a fishtail hem, though Kate would look lovely in one, but IMHO, such a gown would be lost in the grandeur of the Abbey. I am certainly enjoying all the speculation!
If Sarah Burton has the commission there is a side to Kate we did not know of.And that is the individual with that hint of iconoclasm and surprise.On a more positive note,Sarah Burton knows her sartorial skills especially well so that she will not disappoint.However I think she would have to come out of her designing style a bit to suit the occasion favorably.That is truly haute couture.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Nobility

Another McQueen wedding gown (probably assisted by Sarah Burton):
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...-1_133132o.jpg
http://media.vogue.com/files/migrati...1.01_sized.jpg

I love Sara Buys' dress and her veil in particular:
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...-1_133128o.jpg

The Times does say: "A fashion source said that the dress will be a combination of Middleton's own design ideas and Burton's deep knowledge and understanding of high fashion." Sarah can make dresses. They're amazing. Kate will have input on the custom-made gown as well. If Sarah Burton is the pick, I have complete confidence in her (unlike most, if not all, of the other designers).
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 AM

I never post and only read threads on this forum. But I couldn't help getting caught up in the Royal Wedding Excitement!

What do you ladies think about Jasper Conran? I went over his website and completely fell in love with one of his dresses. I think Kate would look great in this dress, although I like the idea of Sarah Burton designing the gown. Lets wait and see.

Here is the dress I'm talking about, the one by the staircase. I think this design is so romantic (specially the veil) and the skirt is not that puffy:

Jasper Conran

I don't mean to get off topic but Kate and Charlene Wittstock first names start and end with the same letters: Catherine, Charlene

Also, both future royal brides' fathers are named Michael!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

I would be very happy if Catherine chooses something from Alexander McQueen because it is a good, modern, British label! They key to Catherine's dress will be the quality of the materials used and what I think it said in the Times would be "the astonishing tailoring".

I do hope that the media continue to go bananas over not knowing who the designer is as it is fun to see them frustratingly running around like the Tasmanian devil!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Serene Highness

If Burton is the 'chosen one' I'd be very pleased! Yes, she does design for a very edgy fashion house, but if you check her latest collection it's visible that she made it way more wearable (in comparision w/ the ones by Alexander McQuenn). Whoever gets the job will have to adapt their design to the occasion.

Mrs Obama' dress was a beautiful one. Nothing too Lady Gaga, and not too modest! Mila Kunis also wore one to the SAG awards. Another great choice. Miss Burton has said that , as a woman, she has made a few changes, knowing what should feels best.

Too be honest I just wished Valentino or Elie Saab were British :P! Now that would be , IMO, the perfect choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige81 View Post
I never post and only read threads on this forum. But I couldn't help getting caught up in the Royal Wedding Excitement!

What do you ladies think about Jasper Conran? I went over his website and completely fell in love with one of his dresses. I think Kate would look great in this dress, although I like the idea of Sarah Burton designing the gown. Lets wait and see.

Here is the dress I'm talking about, the one by the staircase. I think this design is so romantic (specially the veil) and the skirt is not that puffy:

Jasper Conran

Welcome, Paige!
Very nice dress indeed! Wish all the luck to Kate, I wouldn't know what or who to choose! :P
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

*death* Ok so here`s a newly released photo of William and Kate together on graduation day from the royal wedding page

Catherine Middleton - family photographs | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
*death* Ok so here`s a newly released photo of William and Kate together on graduation day from the royal wedding page

LOL! Now that's a surprise! how sweet! is there one with The Queen?? Too much to ask?? !
and the other photos! Kate was blond when younger, very cute!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's strange how we're all pleased about Sarah Burton possible designing the dress, seeing as we're not the ones going to wear it. There was the same level of hype over Bruce Oldfield. Nothing is certain until the day.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post

Nice! I like that they've added a biography to the official website, it's getting all the more real & official now!

What's the betting some people will complain that these photos were only released as a means to boost the Middleton family as a whole or specifically their business somehow, lol!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Aristocracy

Hi guys!

Well, I think the link to the Burton/McQueen dresses show very costumey looking dresses. I would be very surprised if Kate chose anything remotely close to that. If they have the job to design the dress I imagine it would be very toned down from that.

The Sara Buys dress was so unflattering to her hips, etc. I like the idea of showing a bit of the crinoline, etc. but altogether it looked very fashion school student type design. I really do like her hair up like that and flowers I believe and the beautiful veil so she didn't look too bare with the strapless dress.

They said on the news this morning Buckingham Palace had no comment, not a denial, so who knows? I think there will be few surprises on the wedding day, so I don't think I'd want to know who will be designing the dress beforehand. Hopefully the dress will be a nice surprise.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
They said on the news this morning Buckingham Palace had no comment, not a denial, so who knows? I think there will be few surprises on the wedding day, so I don't think I'd want to know who will be designing the dress beforehand. Hopefully the dress will be a nice surprise.
I saw the headline scroll on CNN where it stated that Alexander McQueen has denied they are designing the dress. We'll probably not know until the wedding day.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding