The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

Elton John seems to have no filter lately lol. I hope he's still invited :P

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Aristocracy

if my mother in law had a ring worth something, i wouldnt mind wearing it...isnt that how family heirlooms get started? i just dont understand why people think it is 'odd' to use Elton's word.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
if my mother in law had a ring worth something, i wouldnt mind wearing it...isnt that how family heirlooms get started? i just dont understand why people think it is 'odd' to use Elton's word.
Camilla's engagement ring belonged to the Queen Mother - it wasn't her engagement ring - but a family heirloom none the less.
If my MIL had a ring like Diana's I would LOVE to wear it !!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

I am sure you have your own reasons why Victoria' presence at a royal wedding is laughable.

It does, however, appear that David and William did become friendly (close is probably pushing it) when they were working on England's bid for the World Cup. He might have even met Victoria and thought she was nice enough. Frankly, you don't invite one half of a couple and don't invite the other. That's pretty rude.
Just wanted to add that Victoria did confirm Kate did ask to see her designs so I'm sure those two have met each other.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Aristocracy

I think it's fine the Beckham's are going, think they're fairly worthy guests too & not in terms of being big celebs or whatever. Remember that aside from all the media obsession with them & the glitz etc he is one of England's best footballers, most caps for an outfield player for England, Captain for years, showed many admirable qualities in his career & won many things at various clubs. She's a success in her own right, maybe their career achievements aren't meaningful to some but to many their accomplishments are inspiring & worthwhile (particularly David's, you rarely hear anyone say anything bad about the way he goes about his football, everything else maybe they moan about but he's always been seen as a true pro in his football, he's an OBE already & many think he'll get a knighthood one day & he's a legend of the modern game). Then factor in all the charity work they've both been involved in, they have their own kids foundation, he's worked with UNICEF for years, bith have supported Comic & Sport Relief over the years & generally I think have done numerous things for charity, now whether this is done just to look good etc is beside the point if you ask me, they're still doing something to try & help people. And then like others have mentioned there is at least some level of personal connection/association between William & David & so to me at least the Beckhams aren't an unexpected invite.

I do hope they don't overshadow proceedings (I really doubt they actually will) of course as the media do love to focus on these two regardless of the occasion or whether they should be the focus etc. Anyway just my opinion, I just don't the fuss over them being invited, I don't think it "cheapens" the event or anything as I do honestly think David at the very least is fairly deserving of being invited & like someone posted, you can't invite one without inviting the husband/wife/partner.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Courtier

^^previous
I agree, no problem inviting the Beckhams. They have a bit of a connection as you stated, so the invite is not without its merit. I don't envy them the task of having worked on the guest list - narrowing it down must have sucked!!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Nobility

Remember that a member of former group ABBA was invited to princess victoria's wedding. And a lot of spanish celebrities to the one of principe felipe and letizia (tennis player, singers, etc...).
Old 03-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Nobility

I love the shoes! But then, I'm a shoe person. Kate tends to wear tall (3") courts/pumps, so I wouldn't be surprised if she stuck to those in a matching color, but one can hope for something more! :)

In addition to all the things already mentioned, Prince William is the President of the English Football Association, and he's inviting people from his professional life. Beckham certainly qualifies as a representative of the FA. Similarly, we know of a famous Welsh rugby player that has been invited and Prince William is the vice royal patron of the Welsh Rugby Union.

Also notable, in the most recent edition of Hello! there is a short interview with the CEO of Centrepoint, one of William's charities. He has been invited as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Nobility

I am very happy celebrities are invited because unlike sweden celebrities unknown on the world stage (apart from ABBA of course) we are all able to recognised the british ones. It's thrilling and exciting to see the beckhams, elton john and partner (he confirmed on canadian tv he had received an invitation and he is planing to attend with partner), people we immediatly recognises and who one day interacted in ours lives one way or another. They are part of the pride of great britain. Dont forget that Victoria beckhams works hard to reinvente herself and is now a model designer. I didnt like the spice girls but this girl has something in her because she is a winner. That's count.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 AM

Saphire engagement ring for catherine.

Many people were perturbed when P. William presented his mother's saphire ring to Catherine as an engagement ring.
This ring of Diana's will bring misfortune because Diana had died in tragic circumstances. And to wear her ring will bring bad luck. P. William should have bought Catherine a ring that is of her choice.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

With all due respect, that's rediculous, superstitious nonsense.

It's a piece of jewellery. Metal and stone. Nothing more.

William offered it, Catherine accepted it and that's that

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Have the invitations been sent yet?
I keep reading that this person or that person will/will not attend.
I thought they hadn't yet gone out?
Prince William, Kate Middleton Wedding Invitation Pictures : People.com
Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Serene Highness

The Official Royal Wedding website is online

The Royal Wedding
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20470095

Elton John confirms he us going to Royal wedding- this is his statement, so no doubt about this! And comments on Kate and Diana, the ring and William.

Elton John thoughts Ms. Catherine Middleton:
He also shares thoughts on the bride-to-be, noting that Kate "is Diana in personality. She is very discreet, she is a very beautiful girl. They have been together a long time and I think she has handled the pressure so much.

Just by seeing Ms Middleton in photos all these years I sensed that Catherine was like Princess Diana in personality. I think in most cases a son marries woman like their mothers when they loved their mother.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Has Elton even met Kate? I recall him saying that he's had very little contact with William and Harry since Diana died. I think he said he's only met them twice or something like that.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Administrator

He might have met her at the After party of the Diana Celebration events.

But considering that he has read the papers like us for the last 8 years --- maybe that is where he is making his comment about Kate's discretion. Let's face it....until she did her engagement interview that was only the 2nd time or so that her voice had been heard by the public.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
With all due respect, that's rediculous, superstitious nonsense.

It's a piece of jewellery. Metal and stone. Nothing more.

William offered it, Catherine accepted it and that's that
I agree, how can a ring be bad luck?
I think it was a lovely gesture on William's part to remember Diana.
If his marriage to Kate fails, it won't be because of the ring!

The invitation to the Beckhams comes as no surprise, since they have been involved in charity work with William.

Another factor may be that they are returning to England to live, having failed to make much of an impact here in the USA.
(Soccer simply isn't the big deal here that it is elsewhere, and both David and Posh are regarded somewhat in the light of desperate wannabes rather than A-List celebrities).
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I think it's fine the Beckham's are going
They are going, has someone official confirmed that?

Elton John has been invited to Kate Middleton and Prince William's Royal wedding | Mail Online

Quote:

And for the record, there have been showbiz people at past royal weddings. I remember Ruthie Henshall at Edwards (I believe they dated in the past), Jilly Cooper, Rowan Atinkinson at Charles and Camila's, and a couple at Charles and Diana's.
They're real showbiz people IMO, David was a good footballer apparently and Victoria was a spice girl who now tries to design clothes. David and William might be pally due to the World Cup bid etc, I can except that. But seeing that bony structure of Victorias walk into Westminster will amuse me, if it's true.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
He might have met her at the After party of the Diana Celebration events.

But considering that he has read the papers like us for the last 8 years --- maybe that is where he is making his comment about Kate's discretion. Let's face it....until she did her engagement interview that was only the 2nd time or so that her voice had been heard by the public.
Good point. I forgot about the concert.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Royal Highness

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...s-wedding-list

Charities are at top of Kate's wedding gift list-

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding