The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
As a child I would edge the almond icing away from the cake, eat the icing and give the cake to someone who wanted it
With fruitcake, I still do that. The icing is the best bit.
I hope they don't just have a plain white cake with no decoration.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02 View Post
Kate wearing Queen Mary's 'Cambridge Lovers Knot' tiara
Kate wearing Diana's Cambridge Lovers Knot' tiara - Princess Diana Remembered
Although the tiara looks lovely on her, I don't see her wearing it for the wedding, nor do I see her wearing it anytime in the near future simply due to the comparison issue.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Royal Highness

I recently read in a book about queen Victoria's court that the queen insisted that all princesses had to wear tiaras for dinner which some hated and complained they get headaches from wearing them, so the queen allowed them to wear golden hairnets renaissance style instead which became some sort fo Royal fashion after that.

I wonder how Catherine would look with such a hairnet with integrated tiara part as there surely are some left in the Royal vaults?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Michael of Kent wore one (with flowers) at her wedding, and it looked very nice.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to this website, the royal family of Spain hasn´t got invitations to the wedding yet.
Monarquía Confidencial A dos meses de la boda del príncipe Guillermo de Inglaterra la Casa Real Española aun no ha recibido la invitación
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
I could see Kate wearing the Spencer tiara as a way to honor Diana's memory throughout the ceremony. It would be a nice gesture.
IMO, it would be unwarranted and over the top. While William is part-Spencer, she is not marrying into the Spencer family, she's marrying into the Windsors. The Spencer Tiara is reserved for Spencer brides, or women marrying into that family. Kate doesn't fit that description.

She doesn't need to honor Diana's memory throughout her wedding ceremony. The wedding should be about William and herself, not his dead mother.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Majesty

I think that the lovers-knot tiara is too grand for Kate to wear at this time. Given her status within the family, I'd expect her to wear something smaller. People seem to forget that Diana was The Princess of Wales after her marriage and so was due a tiara that reflected that. Had Diana been still a member of the BRF after the Queen Mother died, I expect that she'd be wearing the Honeycomb tiara that Camilla now wears. It had belonged to the Queen Mother. I could be wrong, but I expect a more modest tiara for Kate, perhaps something more along the lines of a bandeau.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

I don't want to bring the Obama thing up again but Nancy Regan, who was First Lady at the time, attended Prince Andrew's wedding in 1986 and it also wasn't a state occasion. I'm not saying PW should invite Michelle Obama to his wedding just that I don't see how that can be used as an excuse for not inviting her when it's happened before.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Courtier

The Reagan's had a special relationship with the British Royal family. The Obama's don't have the same relationship.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
The Reagan's had a special relationship with the British Royal family. The Obama's don't have the same relationship.
Furthermore, neither William nor Catherine have ever met the Obamas. So definitely no special relationship, no relationship at all.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

As an American and an African American I have no problem with the fact the BRF didn't invite the Obama's to the wedding. It never occured to me that they would be invited given that William is not the heir and therefore not a head of state. If was Charles I'd raise and eyebrow; but even then I wouldn't be offended.. What bothers me is the implication that the lack of invite means the Queens "hates" (as I saw posted here last evening) the Obamas or that the has Queen's preference for "other" US President's. I don't believe the Queen of England has the time or the interest to take a paritisan stance on U.S politics. And truly hope the person wasn't inferring that the lack of invite was race based. I don't believe the the Queen is a bigot and given that she regularly entertains kings of African nations and and Afro-English I don't see her suddenly making a point exclude anyone based on race.

Now, can we get back to the topic of wedding musing & suggestion about the upcoming wedding? And let's remember that there are many nations, religions, ethnicities and nationalities posting here and be cognizant of offensive, thanks. Had to get that off my chest after reading some the comments by posters.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Administrator

The Obamas are Not attending.

End of Story.

Any and ALL posts that insist on talking about their lack of presence will be deleted without notice.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that the lovers-knot tiara is too grand for Kate to wear at this time. Given her status within the family, I'd expect her to wear something smaller. People seem to forget that Diana was The Princess of Wales after her marriage and so was due a tiara that reflected that. Had Diana been still a member of the BRF after the Queen Mother died, I expect that she'd be wearing the Honeycomb tiara that Camilla now wears. It had belonged to the Queen Mother. I could be wrong, but I expect a more modest tiara for Kate, perhaps something more along the lines of a bandeau.
I agree, I'm hoping to see Catherine in a smaller tiara too.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 PM

upcoming wedding

is anybody here planning to travel to london to see the wedding up close?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
According to this website, the royal family of Spain hasn´t got invitations to the wedding yet.
Monarquía Confidencial A dos meses de la boda del príncipe Guillermo de Inglaterra la Casa Real Española aun no ha recibido la invitación
How reliable is that website? Is the Spanish royal family known for disclosing this type of info in advance? I'd be very surprised if the Spanish royal family wasn't invited.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:48 AM
Serene Highness

No, I'd see more on TV
Old 02-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Much as I love this thread , it's getting difficult to separate rumour from the facts. Is there any plan to have a thread to post what we know as opposed to what we are speculating?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Much as I love this thread , it's getting difficult to separate rumour from the facts. Is there any plan to have a thread to post what we know as opposed to what we are speculating?
There is such a thread, Elly.

You can find it here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ton-29332.html .

If anyone has any OFFICIAL information that is has been released by Clarence House, announced on Twitter, etc. please forward this information to any of members of the moderation team, and we will post it.

That thread will be opened as we get closer to the wedding as well.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Zonk. Does this mean that the details of invites sent out to Foreign Royalty have not been officially released?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Thank you Zonk. Does this mean that the details of invites sent out to Foreign Royalty have not been officially released?
The Clarence House press release says this:

Notes to Editors

Please note we are not releasing the names of individual invitees.
--------------------

So I expect not.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding