The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I doubt the private evening event will be tiara - very unlikely. But I would expect the royal church guests to wear tiara, like in Sweden, Denmark etc - do we already have dresscode information at all?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I doubt the private evening event will be tiara - very unlikely. But I would expect the royal church guests to wear tiara, like in Sweden, Denmark etc - do we already have dresscode information at all?
It's a morning service, so no tiaras - hats will be worn.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankay View Post
No, when wearing a hat or even a tiara, one must design the rest of the wardrobe around IT. Definitely.
You don't wear a yellow hat with an orange suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
No tiaras, only hats. We could see a tiara at the private evening dinner, as gowns might be worn.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Nobility

The Obamas invitation or lack thereof

I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The attention issue, it's their wedding, people will be their to see them. The guests are just extras in the whole game. William and Catherine will be the stars of the show. Not inviting the Obamas is probably because they have no reason to be their other than for political relations, IMHO.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.
Yep, our President is very heavily guarded, and even if he and the First Lady were invited, I'd guess they'd decline it so not to distract from the big day.

Besides it isn't a state occasion anyway, so no reason to go anyway, unless they were personal friends (which I doubt they are, and even so, they might still not go anyway due to security).
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Does the President need anymore security than that of 40 royal families, which will no doubt include numerous heads of states? I don't expect him to go, I don't see any reason for him to go.
But reasons such as overshadowing and security are flawed.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankay View Post
No, when wearing a hat or even a tiara, one must design the rest of the wardrobe around IT. Definitely.
Where is the rule for this? HM wears whatever gown she wants with whatever jewelry she wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne

The president and first lady would have their own security detail. The only way they could detract from the wedding would be if they did the Hustle down the aisle after Kate.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
It would only be the American media that would have any real interest. However, the security has nothing to do with not being invited. It's not a state occasion and heads of state are not invited. Period.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Obamas would have Secret Service details that would travel with them to England, but according to the article I was reading a few days ago, England's taxpayers would have to foot the bill for additional security just because of their presence, which is wholly unnecessary. Why make the taxpayers pay for more than they need to?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Courtier

I'm so tired of hearing about the Obama's and Sarah Ferguson apparent snubs. As far as Sarah goes, by her own camp she never expected an invitation, and has her own engagements to attend to on the day of the wedding. She has said previously she hasn't had a relationship with William or Harry in years. It's not a snub, it's media over reacting.

William and Kate have never met the Obama's, there is no personal relationship, and as it's been stated a million times, this is not a state affair. The majority of their guest list is being made up by friends and family. Protocol seems to loosely dictate more as William is one day slated to become King, other have been invited. But since it is VERY unlikely that William or Kate will have much to do with the Obama's, I see no point in inviting them. Again, I see this as nothing more than the media making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Administrator

The owner of Bucklebury's Old Boot Inn will definitely be raising a glass to the royal couple since Kate Middleton has invited him to the wedding.

John Haley, who runs the Berkshire pub frequented by the Middletons over the years, received the gold embossed invitation at the weekend.'

Kate Middleton invites local pub landlord to wedding | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Majesty

Kate is supposed to have worked in a pub at one time. I wonder whether Mr. Haley is her former boss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk;1208490John Haley, who runs the Berkshire pub frequented by the Middletons over the years, received the gold embossed [COLOR=#1c7dff
invitation[/COLOR] at the weekend.]
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
I'm so tired of hearing about the Obama's and Sarah Ferguson apparent snubs. As far as Sarah goes, by her own camp she never expected an invitation, and has her own engagements to attend to on the day of the wedding. She has said previously she hasn't had a relationship with William or Harry in years. It's not a snub, it's media over reacting.

William and Kate have never met the Obama's, there is no personal relationship, and as it's been stated a million times, this is not a state affair. The majority of their guest list is being made up by friends and family. Protocol seems to loosely dictate more as William is one day slated to become King, other have been invited. But since it is VERY unlikely that William or Kate will have much to do with the Obama's, I see no point in inviting them. Again, I see this as nothing more than the media making a mountain out of a molehill.
Agreed! Likewise the media reporting it as if it's some personal snub by William and/or Kate is feintly ridiculous to me, with almost 2000 people attending I suspect William and/or Kate had little personally to do with deciding each & every guest & who to invite or not invite. Some specific people, sure, they probably wanted & asked if they could attend but I suspect a majority of guests William and Kate had little real choice/preference over. Not that I know for sure of course but I highly doubt William & Kate sat down somewhere & said something along the lines "no way that US President's coming to my wedding, let's snub them!".
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Yep, our President is very heavily guarded, and even if he and the First Lady were invited, I'd guess they'd decline it so not to distract from the big day.
I not sure about the President but The First Lady has told all of us if she was on the guest list she would be there...but wasn't invited..

Michelle Obama: "I Wasn't Invited" to Royal Wedding - Celebrity News - UsMagazine.com

Im sure if they where invited..the Queen would have proper seucrity for even the US President and Frist Lady It is not like they would be the first to attend such an event....and Im sure HM could handle it ...
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Courtier

At the end of the day, the Obamas weren't invited, and I don't see it as a particularly big deal. Would I have thought it nice to see Mrs. Obama there? Sure. (I don't think the President would've attended even if invited). But, as Michelle herself said, it's their day and it's up to them who they want to invite. So, to me (and likely to them), no big deal. I'm just looking forward to seeing William and Kate on their big day.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
At the end of the day, the Obamas weren't invited, and I don't see it as a particularly big deal. Would I have thought it nice to see Mrs. Obama there? Sure. (I don't think the President would've attended even if invited). But, as Michelle herself said, it's their day and it's up to them who they want to invite. So, to me (and likely to them), no big deal. I'm just looking forward to seeing William and Kate on their big day.
I agree
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Royal Highness

I just read that they are serving mini pizzas at the reception? And Kate picked out the toppings? Anyone know if this has been reported-

Really hoping they are not the type of mini pizzas I am picturing :( If they are- IMO that's sort of tacky for a Royal wedding (sorry)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm guessing this is supposed to be funny
Talbot Church: Queen to 'keep it real' on big day - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent

one more article:
Royal Diary Blog: Meet the Ushers for the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton - ABC News
Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ
I just read that they are serving mini pizzas at the reception? And Kate picked out the toppings? Anyone know if this has been reported-

Really hoping they are not the type of mini pizzas I am picturing :( If they are- IMO that's sort of tacky for a Royal wedding (sorry)
Mini pizzas?. I would have thought canapés would be served. I recall they've been served at previous royal wedding receptions.

I guess it all depends on how it's done as well. If it's less pepperoni and mozzarella and more spinach and feta mini pizzas might be fine :shrugs:

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding