The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2981  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
I doubt the private evening event will be tiara - very unlikely. But I would expect the royal church guests to wear tiara, like in Sweden, Denmark etc - do we already have dresscode information at all?
__________________

  #2982  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I doubt the private evening event will be tiara - very unlikely. But I would expect the royal church guests to wear tiara, like in Sweden, Denmark etc - do we already have dresscode information at all?
It's a morning service, so no tiaras - hats will be worn.
__________________

  #2983  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankay View Post
No, when wearing a hat or even a tiara, one must design the rest of the wardrobe around IT. Definitely.
You don't wear a yellow hat with an orange suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I doubt the private evening event will be tiara - very unlikely. But I would expect the royal church guests to wear tiara, like in Sweden, Denmark etc - do we already have dresscode information at all?
No tiaras, only hats. We could see a tiara at the private evening dinner, as gowns might be worn.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #2984  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Susanna Wynne's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jackson Hole, United States
Posts: 266
The Obamas invitation or lack thereof

I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.
  #2985  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
The attention issue, it's their wedding, people will be their to see them. The guests are just extras in the whole game. William and Catherine will be the stars of the show. Not inviting the Obamas is probably because they have no reason to be their other than for political relations, IMHO.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #2986  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alexandria, United States
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.
Yep, our President is very heavily guarded, and even if he and the First Lady were invited, I'd guess they'd decline it so not to distract from the big day.

Besides it isn't a state occasion anyway, so no reason to go anyway, unless they were personal friends (which I doubt they are, and even so, they might still not go anyway due to security).
  #2987  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Does the President need anymore security than that of 40 royal families, which will no doubt include numerous heads of states? I don't expect him to go, I don't see any reason for him to go.
But reasons such as overshadowing and security are flawed.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #2988  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:41 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankay View Post
No, when wearing a hat or even a tiara, one must design the rest of the wardrobe around IT. Definitely.
Where is the rule for this? HM wears whatever gown she wants with whatever jewelry she wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne
I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.

The president and first lady would have their own security detail. The only way they could detract from the wedding would be if they did the Hustle down the aisle after Kate.
  #2989  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
I read sometime back that the American President and First Lady have some of the most intense security requirements of any head of state in the world and having them at the wedding would cost the British government a great deal in additional security -- and take up a number of valuable seats in the Abbey. Also and (my own thought) they would likely distract attention on a day that belongs to The Prince and Miss Middleton.
It would only be the American media that would have any real interest. However, the security has nothing to do with not being invited. It's not a state occasion and heads of state are not invited. Period.
  #2990  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
The Obamas would have Secret Service details that would travel with them to England, but according to the article I was reading a few days ago, England's taxpayers would have to foot the bill for additional security just because of their presence, which is wholly unnecessary. Why make the taxpayers pay for more than they need to?
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #2991  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Britters's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DC, United States
Posts: 879
I'm so tired of hearing about the Obama's and Sarah Ferguson apparent snubs. As far as Sarah goes, by her own camp she never expected an invitation, and has her own engagements to attend to on the day of the wedding. She has said previously she hasn't had a relationship with William or Harry in years. It's not a snub, it's media over reacting.

William and Kate have never met the Obama's, there is no personal relationship, and as it's been stated a million times, this is not a state affair. The majority of their guest list is being made up by friends and family. Protocol seems to loosely dictate more as William is one day slated to become King, other have been invited. But since it is VERY unlikely that William or Kate will have much to do with the Obama's, I see no point in inviting them. Again, I see this as nothing more than the media making a mountain out of a molehill.
__________________
Have you ever wished on a star? It's a magic everyone needs to experience!
  #2992  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,331
The owner of Bucklebury's Old Boot Inn will definitely be raising a glass to the royal couple since Kate Middleton has invited him to the wedding.

John Haley, who runs the Berkshire pub frequented by the Middletons over the years, received the gold embossed invitation at the weekend.'

Kate Middleton invites local pub landlord to wedding | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com
__________________
.

  #2993  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,006
Kate is supposed to have worked in a pub at one time. I wonder whether Mr. Haley is her former boss?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk;1208490John Haley, who runs the Berkshire pub frequented by the Middletons over the years, received the gold embossed [COLOR=#1c7dff
invitation[/COLOR] at the weekend.]
  #2994  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
I'm so tired of hearing about the Obama's and Sarah Ferguson apparent snubs. As far as Sarah goes, by her own camp she never expected an invitation, and has her own engagements to attend to on the day of the wedding. She has said previously she hasn't had a relationship with William or Harry in years. It's not a snub, it's media over reacting.

William and Kate have never met the Obama's, there is no personal relationship, and as it's been stated a million times, this is not a state affair. The majority of their guest list is being made up by friends and family. Protocol seems to loosely dictate more as William is one day slated to become King, other have been invited. But since it is VERY unlikely that William or Kate will have much to do with the Obama's, I see no point in inviting them. Again, I see this as nothing more than the media making a mountain out of a molehill.
Agreed! Likewise the media reporting it as if it's some personal snub by William and/or Kate is feintly ridiculous to me, with almost 2000 people attending I suspect William and/or Kate had little personally to do with deciding each & every guest & who to invite or not invite. Some specific people, sure, they probably wanted & asked if they could attend but I suspect a majority of guests William and Kate had little real choice/preference over. Not that I know for sure of course but I highly doubt William & Kate sat down somewhere & said something along the lines "no way that US President's coming to my wedding, let's snub them!".
  #2995  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Yep, our President is very heavily guarded, and even if he and the First Lady were invited, I'd guess they'd decline it so not to distract from the big day.
I not sure about the President but The First Lady has told all of us if she was on the guest list she would be there...but wasn't invited..

Michelle Obama: "I Wasn't Invited" to Royal Wedding - Celebrity News - UsMagazine.com

Im sure if they where invited..the Queen would have proper seucrity for even the US President and Frist Lady It is not like they would be the first to attend such an event....and Im sure HM could handle it ...
__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
  #2996  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 691
At the end of the day, the Obamas weren't invited, and I don't see it as a particularly big deal. Would I have thought it nice to see Mrs. Obama there? Sure. (I don't think the President would've attended even if invited). But, as Michelle herself said, it's their day and it's up to them who they want to invite. So, to me (and likely to them), no big deal. I'm just looking forward to seeing William and Kate on their big day.
  #2997  
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
At the end of the day, the Obamas weren't invited, and I don't see it as a particularly big deal. Would I have thought it nice to see Mrs. Obama there? Sure. (I don't think the President would've attended even if invited). But, as Michelle herself said, it's their day and it's up to them who they want to invite. So, to me (and likely to them), no big deal. I'm just looking forward to seeing William and Kate on their big day.
I agree
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #2998  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
I just read that they are serving mini pizzas at the reception? And Kate picked out the toppings? Anyone know if this has been reported-

Really hoping they are not the type of mini pizzas I am picturing :( If they are- IMO that's sort of tacky for a Royal wedding (sorry)
  #2999  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
I'm guessing this is supposed to be funny
Talbot Church: Queen to 'keep it real' on big day - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent

one more article:
Royal Diary Blog: Meet the Ushers for the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton - ABC News
  #3000  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ
I just read that they are serving mini pizzas at the reception? And Kate picked out the toppings? Anyone know if this has been reported-

Really hoping they are not the type of mini pizzas I am picturing :( If they are- IMO that's sort of tacky for a Royal wedding (sorry)
Mini pizzas?. I would have thought canapés would be served. I recall they've been served at previous royal wedding receptions.

I guess it all depends on how it's done as well. If it's less pepperoni and mozzarella and more spinach and feta mini pizzas might be fine :shrugs:
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ari behn ascot 2016 autographs best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events diana duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit in canada princess victoria hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stewart succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises